Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Do you take the Bible literally?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Kidd

New to the forums, so sorry if this post is in the wrong spot!

But yeah, are you supposed to take the Bible literally

:wave Hi! Welcome to the forums. :)

I would say yes. Otherwise, one may as well make a religion out of fables like Red Riding Hood, Sleeping Beauty, etc. Because if you reduce the Bible to a bunch of moral stories rather than literal events, then that's what it becomes. Of course there is intended allegory in some parts, but not the whole book.

I'm on the fence myself. I think the core messages of the Bible--like the 10 Commandments, the virgin birth and crucifixion of Jesus, etc.--need to be taken literally. And when you're getting a direct command--like when God says don't commit murder or don't covet or Paul is saying (under divine guidance) that one should abstain from sexual immorality--then those need to be taken literally. Taking it literally in those instances is the only way to grasp what Christianity really is; otherwise, you end up molding Christianity (and God) into what you want it to be.

I think the core messages of the Bible--like the 10 Commandments, the virgin birth and crucifixion of Jesus, etc.--need to be taken literally. And when you're getting a direct command--like when God says don't commit murder or don't covet or Paul is saying (under divine guidance) that one should abstain from sexual immorality--then those need to be taken literally.

I think this sums it up well. Jesus often told "parables", I don't think they were literally true stories, but they teach something, they illustrate a point He was making. SOME of the Bible is not meant to be literal - but the core message, the underlying principles - ARE to be taken to heart.

Just because you don't take something LITERALLY does not mean that you don't take something FROM it.

New to the forums, so sorry if this post is in the wrong spot!

But yeah, are you supposed to take the Bible literally

The 66 Bks. needs to be studied as a whole. It (they) explain theirself. Matt. 4:4 & 2 Tim. 3:16 + Isa, 28:10 has one going from the start to the end & compiling verses per the subject. (like Rev. 12's serpent as satan in Gen. 3)

First off God as our creator (maker) has everything from day one on that is pertaining to Salvation, with His Conditions for us to follow. That means He requires Total Surrender to be saved (John 3:3-8) & then He will supply us with that power to mature! Phil. 4:13 + 2 Cor. 12:9. Maturity is both the up + downs, but requiring continuing UPS by Christs power! See Heb. 12:4-8.

And what is not literal? it is in the Bible & will also be found explained [IF] one really BELIEVES God. But YES Obad. 1:16 is ETERNALLY to be taken literal! (as in Mal. 4:1-4)

--Elijah

That is one loaded question Kidd!

LOL !!! That is what makes it so interesting to discuss!!

The 66 Bks. needs to be studied as a whole. It (they) explain theirself. Matt. 4:4 & 2 Tim. 3:16 + Isa, 28:10 has one going from the start to the end & compiling verses per the subject. (like Rev. 12's serpent as satan in Gen. 3)

First off God as our creator (maker) has everything from day one on that is pertaining to Salvation, with His Conditions for us to follow. That means He requires Total Surrender to be saved (John 3:3-8) & then He will supply us with that power to mature! Phil. 4:13 + 2 Cor. 12:9. Maturity is both the up + downs, but requiring continuing UPS by Christs power! See Heb. 12:4-8.

And what is not literal? it is in the Bible & will also be found explained [IF] one really BELIEVES God. But YES Obad. 1:16 is ETERNALLY to be taken literal! (as in Mal. 4:1-4)

--Elijah

Thanks for your thoughts! But I don't understand your post. At all. :sad

I'm on the fence myself. I think the core messages of the Bible--like the 10 Commandments, the virgin birth and crucifixion of Jesus, etc.--need to be taken literally. And when you're getting a direct command--like when God says don't commit murder or don't covet or Paul is saying (under divine guidance) that one should abstain from sexual immorality--then those need to be taken literally. Taking it literally in those instances is the only way to grasp what Christianity really is; otherwise, you end up molding Christianity (and God) into what you want it to be.

Thank you so much for your thoughts! Your post has made it clear that I need to elaborate on my initial question.

When I ask, "Are you supposed to take the Bible literally?" I am not referring to the principles of the Bible. I am not asking if the 10 Commandments should be taken literally, or if the words of Paul should be taken literally, or anything like that. Because as far as the principles go, you either accept them or you don't. Plain and simple.

Rather, I'm asking, "Should the Bible's method of portraying these principles be taken literally?" For example...

Samson & Delilah. He was the dude with the long ponytail and the power, right? Right?? The Bible tells his story about his hair and whatnot. Let's say the moral of the story is... Don't share your weaknesses with other people. Or something.

The principle of the story should be taken literally. Sure.

But my question is, should the Bible's method of portraying this principle (the story about literally cutting of a man's hair), should that be taken literally?

If I'm still not making any sense, just let me know. :)

I read the story of Samson as a true and straight forward story. The life experince of Samson is then a model, or picture, (one of those kind of words) to a christian way of living.

Yup i believe David, the young man, killed the physical giant Goliath. Are there lessens to be learned YUP. Spiritual, emotional, all those kind of things...

Samson & Delilah. He was the dude with the long ponytail and the power, right? Right?? The Bible tells his story about his hair and whatnot. Let's say the moral of the story is... Don't share your weaknesses with other people. Or something.

Haha. I have to say your summary/lesson of the the Samson story made me laugh (not at you, just how you summarized it). If you were actually trying to summarize the Samson story down to a lesson it would be a bit more involved than that. The Bible actually tells us to help each other in one another's weaknesses, especially based on commands in the New Testament (and that theme is not absent from the Old Testament either), such as in the following verses:

"Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble [lowly]" (Romans 12:15-16); and "Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2); and also "To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some." And, from the OT, "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17).

Helping one another in our weaknesses is a Godly virtue, so I don't think the lesson would be not to share our weaknesses with anyone. Friends confide in friends do they not?

However I would hardly classify Delilah as Samson's friend. She was in fact an enemy Philistine. If there were any "not sharing" theme present it would be more on the lines of not telling about the blessings and calling of God to an unbelieving enemy like when Jesus said "Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces" (Matthew 7:6). Samson was sleeping around with harlots of an enemy nation, and then he revealed his most sacred calling to Delilah who cared nothing for Samson or his God, thus the enemy always will take advantage of that.

Kidd said:
The principle of the story should be taken literally. Sure. But my question is, should the Bible's method of portraying this principle (the story about literally cutting of a man's hair), should that be taken literally?

So anyway, I assume your question has more to do with whether we can see a correspondence between Samson's hair growing and his strength. I would say that the hair itself did not give him his strength but because of the stipulations of the Nazarite vow in the Law of Moses (Numbers 6) - that a person who dedicates themself as a Nazarite should not drink wine or cut their hair - that as soon as the vow was broken God's blessing (of supernatural strength) on Samson would also leave. Samson was the only Nazarite we know of on whom God bestowed great strength (and actually it was tied to the Holy Spirit 'rushing' upon him - so if the Spirit left so did his strength), and not specifically because he was a Nazarite (because extraordinary strength was not a promise for Nazarites in Numbers 6) but rather it must have been an additional blessing from God becasue of Samson's set-apartness (holiness) to God to also be a judge of Israel (whose enemy was the Philistines at the time).

God Bless,
~Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
i think taking it literally will just confuse you...
as it is said, you need the Holy Spirit to guide you in order to get the message.
Without it, you would interpret in with your own knowledge.
Its a good thing He is available to us when we are confused and so we are to rely/lean on Him completely...

Some say you will just make your own interpretation because of not taking it literal... but if you are guided by Him, it will not! For everyone in Him will meet in same place as to where He leads us because we have one God so no one under His supervision will be at the wrong way...

But anyway, taking the history as history is also a good point of taking it literal but for sure we will missed His revelation if we are to depend on our own knowledge... what sense would these knowledge give to us if we missed to get the message He want us to know...

NEIL SEDAKA
"Run Samson Run"

In the bible, 1000 years BC
There's a story of ancient history
'Bout a fella who was strong as he could be
'Til he met a cheatin' gal who brought him tragedy

Oh, run Samson run, Delilah's on her way
Run Samson run, you ain't got time to stay
Run Samson run, on your mark you better start
I'd sooner trust a hungry lion
Than a gal with a cheatin' heart

She was a demon (was a demon)
A devil in disguise
He was taken (he was taken)
By the angel in her eyes
That lady barber (lady barber)
Was very well equipped
You can bet your bottom dollar
He was gonna get clipped

Oh, run Samson run, Delilah's on her way

Oh, Delilah (oh, Delilah)
Made Sammy's life a sin
And he perished (and he perished)
When the roof fell in
There's a moral (there's a moral)
So listen to me pal
There's a little of Delilah
In each and every gal

Soooo, run Samson run, Delilah's on her way

I love the Samson poem (or is it a song?), thanks Reba....

I take the bible quite literally, but it is important to fall short of legalism.
We are not, after all, salt.

One lesson from Samson that I like… He was out of God’s will and he paid for it. His parents tried to remind him of God’s will, but Samson sought to please himself rather than God.

Judges 14:
3Then his father and his mother said unto him, Is there never a woman among the daughters of thy brethren, or among all my people, that thou goest to take a wife of the uncircumcised Philistines? And Samson said unto his father, Get her for me; for she pleaseth me well.

How much this is contrasted by Jesus’ behavior:

Luke 22:
42Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

Back to the thread topic: Regarding the O.T. occurrences, this is one verse that confirms for me the fact that they actually happened and should be taken literally:

1 Corinthians 10:
11Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

-HisSheep

I think one needs to approach this question keeping context in mind.

In the bible, context is everything...

But, it's also important to realize just how much assumption has worked its way into doctrine.

The story of Samson and Delilah takes place during a real, historical time period. God was doing many miracles at that time establishing the nation of Israel. So, given the context...I believe the story should be read literally.

I don't necessarily think we need to take all of the stories in the Bible as literal though. For instance, I think that the story of Esther is most likely a work of historical fiction...something that portrays real life events and activities in a fictional way. The scattering of the Jews, the prejudices and genocides they faced, all historically accurate. As for Esther herself? She could be a historical person, but more likely she's a fictional hero. If the story is fictional, it loses none of it's impact. The story doesn't mention God, not even once, but it is a story of how God's people during the period of captivity put their lives on the line to remain faithful. As historical fact or historical fiction, the story packs a wallop.

Just had another thought on this subject...(and it's a great topic for discussion, Kidd! :thumbsup)

We know we can take a story literally if the Scriptures confirm it. I'm thinking specifically the story of Noah and the animals. Now that's a story that many think could just be a work of fiction or a parable...but, there are many references to the Noah story that show it to be a fact...Jesus refers to it, Peter compares our baptisms to Noah and the animals going through the waters, Noah is listed in the genealogies.

Even though the story is immortalized by numerous paintings and story books...and even though the idea of two of every animal on earth docilely going onto the ark seems somewhat far-fetched from a scientifically biological standpoint...the story should be read as straight literal history.

You have to take the entire Bible literally except if it's a parable, a vision or a dream.

the feasts of purim seems to indicate that the events in esther did take place(esther isnt even a hebrew name)

hadasah is her real name. eshter is close to the word for star(estorai) in persian and farsi(modern descedent of persian)

Not trying to take this off topic but I was thinking the same thing.

I just now saw this. Yeah, I've been really busy ever since the summer hit. I'm trying to wrap up a Bible study I lead on Thursday nights which has lasted two months longer than I thought it would, I'm suddenly having to job search after an announcement that my workplace will be closing by the end of the year, I'm trying to study 600 pages worth of material for a big Cisco networking certification exam I need to take, and what time I have left I try to carry on personal Bible studies (recently on the baptism, indwelling, and regeneration of the Holy Spirit) and I also slip in watching some Burn Notice episodes every once in a while just to relax. :biggrin Whew! What a life. I check in here when I can though.

God Bless,
~Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Back