Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does the Holy Spirit move after Acts?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi Smaller

Yes, I've heard the position that the "vipers" of John 3:7 etc. are symbolic. I once had a preacher of that persuasion thump me on the chest and say "When Jesus said 'ye shall pick up serpents He didn't mean those crawling on the ground, He meant serpents like you''. But that was all he had. Now, do you really believe thats what Jesus meant in Mark16? The apostles of Jesus who were present at the time the words of Mark 15 were spoken by Jesus DID in fact DO those signs, the only exception being drinking "any deadly thing" and then the conditional word "if" preceeds the phrase. If these "signs" are metaphorical then the expression ''THEY SHALL LAY HANDS ON THE SICK, AND THEY SHALL RECOVER'', must also be metaphorical, and how can that be? Were the "signs" for example of Heb.2:4 just symbolic as were John's "vipers"? I do agree, of course, that the "vipers" of John's language was symbolic, but I hardly think such of Mark 16. And even if one thinks they are metaphorical, the metaphorical "serpents" must be dealt with with the Word of God, regardless.

Hi Mitspa--You say you've got lots more? Great, bring it on, thats what we've been waiting for.

Any way, there is a cattle gate I need to shut and then get ready for bed and be refreshed for the Lord's day and worship in "spirit and in truth", Jn.4:24.

Hi Mitspa--You say you've got lots more? Great, bring it on, thats what we've been waiting for.

Any way, there is a cattle gate I need to shut and then get ready for bed and be refreshed for the Lord's day and worship in "spirit and in truth", Jn.4:24.

What is that you need? God works according to "grace" and grace cannot be given to those in pride. Do you have an honest and humble need that I may go before the Father and ask for you?

Deborah13,

What you've explained here doesn't sound like the gifts. Praying for someone to be healed, etc. is not a manifestation of the Gifts. There's a difference between petitioning God in prayer and walking up to some and saying get up and walk. If some lay hands on someone and prays and that person later is healed, that's not the gift of healing, that person who layed hands on did not exhibit the gift of healing. The gift of healing is what is seen in the NT. They saw a person in need and say in Jesus name get up and walk.

I don't pray for God to heal them because I believe Jesus already provided for their healing at the Cross, "by His stripes, ye are healed." I tell satan to get lost, he has no rights or power that is greater than Jesus name.
So if every time the apostles healed someone would you consider it the gift of healing or a healing by the pray of faith?

I don't claim to have the gift of healing. I am not like a Kathrine K.

But I know at least one person no actually two that have raised the dead.
We are not just talking in this discussion about just THE GIFTS, the title is "Does the Spirit Move after Acts"
Can we lay hands on the sick, see the dead raised, see limbs grow, cast out demons? These are not always special gifts, they are the works of the Holy Spirit through the believer. They are by faith not an special anointing that some do have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't pray for God to heal them because I believe Jesus already provided for their healing at the Cross, "by His stripes, ye are healed." I tell satan to get lost, he has no rights or power that is greater than Jesus name.
So if every time the apostles healed someone would you consider it the gift of healing or a healing by the pray of faith?

We are not just talking in this discussion about just THE GIFTS, the title is "Does the Spirit Move after Acts"
Can we lay hands on the sick, see the dead raised, see limbs grow, cast out demons? These are not always special gifts, they are the works of the Holy Spirit through the believer. They are by faith not an special anointing that some do have.

God does work through believers, however, I don't believe it's as many have claimed here. If so many are raising the dead why are we not hearing of this on the News channels? And before some chimes in with, don't test God or some other statement remember the very purpose of the gifts was to be a sing to those who didn't believe. Deborah, these things always seem to be done in churches yet the signs were supposed to be for the unbeliever. If those who claim the gifts really have them why not bring glory to God by going into the public and healing on the streets or in the hospitals? You see that the problem, Christians that claim the gifts don't even use them for the prescribed purpose. Mark said that the Lord went with the apostles confirming the word with signs and wonders. The apostles preaching was without error, thus the Lord confirmed it. Who today had error free preaching? If there's no one then wouldn't that mean that if the gifts were active in some people that God would be confirming error? Historically we can see the gifts fading out of existence then all of a sudden the y supposedly reappeared in the late 1800's. There was no prophecy that I'm aware of that said the gifts would be revived at the end. As I pointed out to Justin, the only mention of end time gifts that I'm aware of in the Scriptures are warnings of lying signs and wonders.

Hi Smaller

Yes, I've heard the position that the "vipers" of John 3:7 etc. are symbolic. I once had a preacher of that persuasion thump me on the chest and say "When Jesus said 'ye shall pick up serpents He didn't mean those crawling on the ground, He meant serpents like you''. But that was all he had. Now, do you really believe thats what Jesus meant in Mark16? The apostles of Jesus who were present at the time the words of Mark 15 were spoken by Jesus DID in fact DO those signs, the only exception being drinking "any deadly thing" and then the conditional word "if" preceeds the phrase. If these "signs" are metaphorical then the expression ''THEY SHALL LAY HANDS ON THE SICK, AND THEY SHALL RECOVER'', must also be metaphorical, and how can that be? Were the "signs" for example of Heb.2:4 just symbolic as were John's "vipers"? I do agree, of course, that the "vipers" of John's language was symbolic, but I hardly think such of Mark 16. And even if one thinks they are metaphorical, the metaphorical "serpents" must be dealt with with the Word of God, regardless.

I bet Paul was glad it wasn't metaphorical.

3 And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand.
4 And when the barbarians saw the venomous beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea, yet vengeance suffereth not to live.
5 And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm.​
6 Howbeit they looked when he should have swollen, or fallen down dead suddenly: but after they had looked a great while, and saw no harm come to him, they changed their minds, and said that he was a god. (Act 28:3-6 KJV)

It's also recorded in the early writing of one drinking a poison with no ill effects.

Now before you say that Mark 9 was before Acts I realize this.
But someone have claimed that only the apostles did things or ones that they had laid their hands on.

I really think the fault of all the arguments is on both sides.

When I am speaking about healing, demons, raising from the dead, I'm not just talking about people who are anointed and that is their ministry. People used to call these people faith healers. Like Kathrine K. Today Nathan Morris

The people that don't believe in miracles for today, don't just believe that the gifts have pasted away, they don't believe that miracle healing, casting out demons, or any of this is for today.

Andrew Wommack would beg to differ with you. His son was raised from the died 5 hours after he was pronounced dead in a Colorado Springs hospital. He was toe tagged and covered with a sheet. He had been put in a storage room, if I remember correctly, until someone could take him to the morgue.
Andrew has talked about it openly on a Denver tele. station. I doubt that he would do this if it weren't true. It would destroy his ministry there in the Springs.

I bet Paul was glad it wasn't metaphorical.

3 And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand.
4 And when the barbarians saw the venomous beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea, yet vengeance suffereth not to live.
5 And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm.​
6 Howbeit they looked when he should have swollen, or fallen down dead suddenly: but after they had looked a great while, and saw no harm come to him, they changed their minds, and said that he was a god. (Act 28:3-6 KJV)

It's also recorded in the early writing of one drinking a poison with no ill effects.

Yes and it was never done deliberatly to prove a point.

Good post Deb13:wave
I believe until the gospel is believed the large part of the "church" will continue to be sick and weak and resist the Holy Spirit!
Until they see their sins upon His Cross they will not be able to lay their sickness there also!
Its hard for me to be on a forum such as this, where so many are here to cast doubt upon what I hold so dear. But I love His Word, and I believe these forums can be a way to spread the good news! I have always ministered with my heart and the power of God flowing from my hands. I do not believe He has left us powerless here, but I believe He will confirm the Word here also! So I try to use the Word as that sword and trust that God will cause it to pierce the hearts of those who seem set against the truth. I believe therefore I speak! God Bless-Mitspa

Mat 5:2

And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
Mat 5:3

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:4

Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Mat 5:5

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Mat 5:6

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Mat 5:7

Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Mat 5:8

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Mat 5:9

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Mat 5:10

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:11

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Thanks Deb13 for that! -Mitspa:wave

Hi Smaller

Considering everything else wasn't metaphorical, why would we take that sentence fragment and make it metaphorical? Though, a lot of times serpents are used to describe demons. I still believe it's literal though.

The seventy returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.†18And He said to them, “I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning. 19“Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you. 20“Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven.†Luke 10:17-20

God does work through believers, however, I don't believe it's as many have claimed here. If so many are raising the dead why are we not hearing of this on the News channels? And before some chimes in with, don't test God or some other statement remember the very purpose of the gifts was to be a sing to those who didn't believe. Deborah, these things always seem to be done in churches yet the signs were supposed to be for the unbeliever. If those who claim the gifts really have them why not bring glory to God by going into the public and healing on the streets or in the hospitals? You see that the problem, Christians that claim the gifts don't even use them for the prescribed purpose. Mark said that the Lord went with the apostles confirming the word with signs and wonders. The apostles preaching was without error, thus the Lord confirmed it. Who today had error free preaching? If there's no one then wouldn't that mean that if the gifts were active in some people that God would be confirming error? Historically we can see the gifts fading out of existence then all of a sudden the y supposedly reappeared in the late 1800's. There was no prophecy that I'm aware of that said the gifts would be revived at the end. As I pointed out to Justin, the only mention of end time gifts that I'm aware of in the Scriptures are warnings of lying signs and wonders.

The only mention of signs in the end times is that of lying signs and wonders? I gave you more verses about end times and signs referring to His people being empowered. You have selective reading and read only what you want.

You say in he same breath you believe God can work through His people, then you say if these things are really happening then why don't we see them on tv? Do you even hear how this sounds? You have eyes to see but do not see!

The masses, ministers and religious persecute those who walk with any such anointing or faith whom God uses to do these things through. I don't know if your a believer or not, but God has done many great miracles from OT to NT, why would it stop? It hasn't! You read about it everywhere, even here in the forums! It's all over TV and Youtube! It's in the papers even those that date back. Though, whenever you acknowledge it being a "miracle" you say it's fake and from the devil.

I've taken time out of my day to try and help those who are unbelieving because that is what I do full time. Though, I normally would never spend so much time with people who have no faith after talking to them for so long. Though you say your Christian? You say you believe? I want to see you walk with faith as well! It's our mindset that needs to change. If you think the way you've always thought you'll continue to get what you've always got!

What if you were taught wrong? Wouldn't you want to dig into it more? Study more? Research more? Interview more?

Let's say there is a 10% chance you are wrong. Is that enough for you to go out and seek for answers?

The only mention of signs in the end times is that of lying signs and wonders? I gave you more verses about end times and signs referring to His people being empowered. You have selective reading and read only what you want.

You continue to say this but I have yet to see you post a passage that I've repeatedly asked for

You say in he same breath you believe God can work through His people, then you say if these things are really happening then why don't we see them on tv? Do you even hear how this sounds? You have eyes to see but do not see!

Your statement here suggests to me that you really don't either see or understand the difference between God doing a miracle and the first century gifts.

The masses, ministers and religious persecute those who walk with any such anointing or faith whom God uses to do these things through. I don't know if your a believer or not, but God has done many great miracles from OT to NT, why would it stop?

This statement again shows me you don't understand the issue. God doing miracles is not the same thing as the gifts.

It hasn't! You read about it everywhere, even here in the forums! It's all over TV and Youtube! It's in the papers even those that date back. Though, whenever you acknowledge it being a "miracle" you say it's fake and from the devil.

It also shows me that you've not understood my argument either.

I've taken time out of my day to try and help those who are unbelieving because that is what I do full time. Though, I normally would never spend so much time with people who have no faith after talking to them for so long. Though you say your Christian? You say you believe? I want to see you walk with faith as well! It's our mindset that needs to change. If you think the way you've always thought you'll continue to get what you've always got!

Do you want to talk about thinking the way one's always thought? I told you when I began searching for truth I changed about 75% of what I believed. How exactly is that thinking what one's always thought? The difference is that I give the Scriptures priority. If Paul said the gifts would stop I believe him. I've looked at the history of the gifts and seen their fading away. I gave you my paper to read so you would know where I stood on this subject and reading your post I seriously doubt that you've read it, yet it is full of Scripture. You said I relied on a single verse of Scripture and I showed you that I relied on quite a few passages. In the paper I showed the purpose of the gifts. I've yet to see any one of you guys who claim the gifts to show me their purpose. I suspect you guys don't know the purpose of the gifts. Here you guys argue the gifts, if you don't know their purpose how do know they haven't ceased.

What if you were taught wrong? Wouldn't you want to dig into it more? Study more? Research more? Interview more?
Let's say there is a 10% chance you are wrong. Is that enough for you to go out and seek for answers?

Couldn't I say the same thing to you? I study "Alot". There have been days that I've listened to the Scriptures for 10 hrs or more. Then there is study of the early church, then there is in depth study of the Scriptures themselves. I can assure you, I study and in that study I have studied the gifts. I have looked at this subject many times. Isaiah prophesies about the gifts.

11 For the LORD spake thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying, {with...: Heb. in strength of hand} 12 Say ye not, A confederacy, to all them to whom this people shall say, A confederacy; neither fear ye their fear, nor be afraid. 13 Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread. 14 And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. 15 And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken. 16 Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples. 17 And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him. 18 Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion. 19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? (Isa 8:11-19 KJV)

Notice his words. He prophesies the words of Jesus. He says "I and the children the Lord hath given me are for signs and wonders in Israel."

Did you see that? They were for signs and wonders "IN ISRAEL."

KJV Isaiah 28:1 Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine! {overcome: Heb. broken} 2 Behold, the Lord hath a mighty and strong one, which as a tempest of hail and a destroying storm, as a flood of mighty waters overflowing, shall cast down to the earth with the hand.
3 The crown of pride, the drunkards of Ephraim, shall be trodden under feet: {under...: Heb. with feet} 4 And the glorious beauty, which is on the head of the fat valley, shall be a fading flower, and as the hasty fruit before the summer; which when he that looketh upon it seeth, while it is yet in his hand he eateth it up. {eateth: Heb. swalloweth} 5 In that day shall the LORD of hosts be for a crown of glory, and for a diadem of beauty, unto the residue of his people, 6 And for a spirit of judgment to him that sitteth in judgment, and for strength to them that turn the battle to the gate. 7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment. 8 For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean. 9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. {doctrine: Heb. the hearing?} 10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: {must be: or, hath been} 11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. {stammering...: Heb. stammerings of lip} {will...: or, he hath spoken} 12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. 13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken. 14 Wherefore hear the word of the LORD, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem. 15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:
16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste. 17 Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place. 18 And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it. {trodden...: Heb. a treading down to it} 19 From the time that it goeth forth it shall take you: for morning by morning shall it pass over, by day and by night: and it shall be a vexation only to understand the report. {to...: or, when he shall make you to understand doctrine}
(Isa 28:1-19 KJV)

Isaiah said, speaking of the time of Christ, that God would speak to "This People." (This people is Israel) with stammering lips and another tongue. Both of these passages are speaking about the judgment of Israel. That was the purpose of tongues. It was a sign of the coming Judgment upon Israel. Paul quotes this passage in 1 Cor 14.

21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.​
22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. (1Co 14:21-22 KJV)

You also didn't address my question. Is your theology without error?

Hi Smaller

Yes, I've heard the position that the "vipers" of John 3:7 etc. are symbolic.

Oh, they are quite real.

I once had a preacher of that persuasion thump me on the chest and say "When Jesus said 'ye shall pick up serpents He didn't mean those crawling on the ground, He meant serpents like you''. But that was all he had.
Had he thumped his own chest and connected his sin to the devil, the serpent, he would have been speaking truthfully. But of course vipers can't do that.
Now, do you really believe thats what Jesus meant in Mark16? The apostles of Jesus who were present at the time the words of Mark 15 were spoken by Jesus DID in fact DO those signs, the only exception being drinking "any deadly thing" and then the conditional word "if" preceeds the phrase.
Interactions with these matters can certainly be progressive engagements.

Do we still see this interaction today? Undoubtedly. I speak to (WITNESS TO) slaves of the viper(s) every day.

Jesus had a greater dynamic in these matters.

If these "signs" are metaphorical then the expression ''THEY SHALL LAY HANDS ON THE SICK, AND THEY SHALL RECOVER'',
Sickness is not always a health ailment. Being clothed with righteousness isn't either is it? Does that make either observation less void?

Do you think Jesus giving sight to the blind only involved healing physical blindness?

uh, no.

must also be metaphorical, and how can that be? Were the "signs" for example of Heb.2:4 just symbolic as were John's "vipers"? I do agree, of course, that the "vipers" of John's language was symbolic, but I hardly think such of Mark 16. And even if one thinks they are metaphorical, the metaphorical "serpents" must be dealt with with the Word of God, regardless.
I never said they were metaphorical. They are and remain very real. Just because the workings of Satan are not observable to a 'physically observable devil' certainly doesn't mean that character is not in play in this present world.

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

See it however you can. No flesh eyes will see.

If for example you read the scripture that His Word will be a LIGHT unto our path, I can probably guarantee you that if you walked on a path in the dark with a bible in your hand, you'd probably still trip.

s

Luk 10:17

And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
Luk 10:18

And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
Luk 10:19

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
Luk 10:20

Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
Luk 10:21

In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.
Luk 10:22

All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him.
Luk 10:23

And he turned him unto his disciples, and said privately, Blessed are the eyes which see the things that ye see:
Luk 10:24

For I tell you, that many prophets and kings have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

They cannot see because the Father does not regard men in their pride! God gives grace to the humble and resist the proud!

You continue to say this but I have yet to see you post a passage that I've repeatedly asked for

Your statement here suggests to me that you really don't either see or understand the difference between God doing a miracle and the first century gifts.

This statement again shows me you don't understand the issue. God doing miracles is not the same thing as the gifts.

It also shows me that you've not understood my argument either.

Do you want to talk about thinking the way one's always thought? I told you when I began searching for truth I changed about 75% of what I believed. How exactly is that thinking what one's always thought? The difference is that I give the Scriptures priority. If Paul said the gifts would stop I believe him. I've looked at the history of the gifts and seen their fading away. I gave you my paper to read so you would know where I stood on this subject and reading your post I seriously doubt that you've read it, yet it is full of Scripture. You said I relied on a single verse of Scripture and I showed you that I relied on quite a few passages. In the paper I showed the purpose of the gifts. I've yet to see any one of you guys who claim the gifts to show me their purpose. I suspect you guys don't know the purpose of the gifts. Here you guys argue the gifts, if you don't know their purpose how do know they haven't ceased.

Couldn't I say the same thing to you? I study "Alot". There have been days that I've listened to the Scriptures for 10 hrs or more. Then there is study of the early church, then there is in depth study of the Scriptures themselves. I can assure you, I study and in that study I have studied the gifts. I have looked at this subject many times. Isaiah prophesies about the gifts.

11 For the LORD spake thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying, {with...: Heb. in strength of hand} 12 Say ye not, A confederacy, to all them to whom this people shall say, A confederacy; neither fear ye their fear, nor be afraid. 13 Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread. 14 And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. 15 And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken. 16 Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples. 17 And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him. 18 Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion. 19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? (Isa 8:11-19 KJV)

Notice his words. He prophesies the words of Jesus. He says "I and the children the Lord hath given me are for signs and wonders in Israel."

Did you see that? They were for signs and wonders "IN ISRAEL."

KJV Isaiah 28:1 Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine! {overcome: Heb. broken} 2 Behold, the Lord hath a mighty and strong one, which as a tempest of hail and a destroying storm, as a flood of mighty waters overflowing, shall cast down to the earth with the hand.
3 The crown of pride, the drunkards of Ephraim, shall be trodden under feet: {under...: Heb. with feet} 4 And the glorious beauty, which is on the head of the fat valley, shall be a fading flower, and as the hasty fruit before the summer; which when he that looketh upon it seeth, while it is yet in his hand he eateth it up. {eateth: Heb. swalloweth} 5 In that day shall the LORD of hosts be for a crown of glory, and for a diadem of beauty, unto the residue of his people, 6 And for a spirit of judgment to him that sitteth in judgment, and for strength to them that turn the battle to the gate. 7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment. 8 For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean. 9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. {doctrine: Heb. the hearing?} 10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: {must be: or, hath been} 11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. {stammering...: Heb. stammerings of lip} {will...: or, he hath spoken} 12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. 13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken. 14 Wherefore hear the word of the LORD, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem. 15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:
16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste. 17 Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place. 18 And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it. {trodden...: Heb. a treading down to it} 19 From the time that it goeth forth it shall take you: for morning by morning shall it pass over, by day and by night: and it shall be a vexation only to understand the report. {to...: or, when he shall make you to understand doctrine}
(Isa 28:1-19 KJV)

Isaiah said, speaking of the time of Christ, that God would speak to "This People." (This people is Israel) with stammering lips and another tongue. Both of these passages are speaking about the judgment of Israel. That was the purpose of tongues. It was a sign of the coming Judgment upon Israel. Paul quotes this passage in 1 Cor 14.

21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.​
22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. (1Co 14:21-22 KJV)

“‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.
18Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy.
19I will show wonders in the heaven above
and signs on the earth below,
blood and fire and billows of smoke.
20The sun will be turned to darkness
and the moon to blood
before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.
21And everyone who calls
on the name of the Lord will be saved." Acts 2:17

"But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. 6For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, 7always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth." 2Timothy 3:1-7

I do not say that I know everything, but I acknowledge what I don't know. My studies aren't perfect I'm sure as I'm still being taken from glory to glory. Though, you kept saying I'm off topic when our discussion is clearly "Does the Holy Spirit move after Acts". Whether you think I have a "gift" or not, I still have "faith with deeds" - James 2. I pray for people and they get healed, to God be the glory! No reason to get huffy puffy about the whole thing as you'd think this would make a believer happy to hear of such things.

I see miracles every week, and healings are powerful, but not as powerful as prophesies that've come true :) I'm sure I just opened a big can of worms now, as I believe God's people still prophesy. But again, this should excite you if your "Spirit filled" as it edifies the whole church.

P.S. I'm not claiming to be a prophet, so please don't twist my words. I've seen God use many people speak things that God has told them to say. Are they prophets? Again, I don't know, but I do know God used them!

Paul encouraged the Gentile Christians to speak in tongues and instructed how that gift was to be used in the assembly (in an orderly fashion). He said that He spoke in tongues more than they did. [1 Cor 14:18]. In that same context, we can also see that your assumption that the Gift of Tongues were given ONLY as a sign to Israel is not correct. Paul mentions another use in the giving of thanks, for instance.

Regarding the premise that only those whose theology is without error are given the gifts of the Holy Spirit, yes - God does work signs and miracles through His children and Jesus rightly said that we can trust his works. But to insist that the apostles did not have error in their theology is to ignore the what the Bible says. Recall that Paul corrected Peter when he refused to eat with the uncircumcised. [Gal 2:11-21]. Paul acted decisively when it became apparent to him that “they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel” (v. 14).

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back