Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Earth is 6000 yrs old?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hehe that's a theory I can live with. We have all those cartoons to prove your theory, don't we?

More likely this

Dino_vore_Fred_Flintstone_02_by_MCsaurus.jpg

The Bible doesn't say that explicitely.
You have to make a number of assumptions to get to that conclusion, for exmple the assumption that the 6 days of creation were actual days (24 hour intervalls). Most christians don't make that assumption and thus most of us don't believe the Bible makes any statement about the age of the world.

As far as I know the 6000 years are the result of calculations some Genesis literalists made based on the genealogies in the book of Genesis that describes the line of descent from Adam to what was present in the day the lineage was written down. The genealogies tell us who was who's father ad how old was he when he got his first son, and so on. Thus scholars claim to know how many centuries ago Adam walked on earth, and since he was made on day six we can know when the world was created.

That's why some christians believe in that ureasonably young age of the earth. Evidence shows the world must be a lot older.
There are holes in the genealogies, so they are unreliable as to the dating of humans, never mind the earth. And there are further assumptions than that. I'm not sure why Christians always blame the scientists for making assumptions when Christians are just as likely to be making assumptions about what Scripture states. This is something I noticed just the other day:

Gen 1:1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
Gen 1:3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.
Gen 1:4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
Gen 1:6 And God said...
Gen 1:8 And God called the expanse Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
Gen 1:9 And God said...
Gen 1:11 And God said...
Gen 1:13 And there was evening and there was morning, the third day.
Gen 1:14 And God said...
Gen 1:19 And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.
Gen 1:20 And God said...
Gen 1:23 And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day.
Gen 1:24 And God said...
Gen 1:26 Then God said...
Gen 1:29 And God said...
Gen 1:31 And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day. (ESV)

Notice that each day begins with "And God said," and ends with "the [nth] day." However, verses one and two are the creation of "the heavens and the earth." This is not a creation day. Day one begins in verse three. So it is quite possible that the age of the earth is very old since it is not included in the days of creation. The age of the earth is therefore a separate question from both evolution and the creation of life. So once again, we cannot use the genealogies to determine the age of the earth.

I was going to ask why God would have excluded them from getting saved on the Ark. Some of them weren't that big. Elefants are bigger than many dino species and they obviously got saved.
Acts 26:24 Dear Sister Claudya, "Much learning doth make thee mad." Of course I may be taking that out of context. :poke

Man was created on the 6th day. Dinosaurs aren't mentioned, but I think we can assume that they are included in the "living creatures" (Gen. 1:24) and "beasts of the earth" (Gen. 1:25).

The TOG​
And also Job 40:15-24 KJV

What makes us think that man never lived with the dinosaurs?

Job 40:
15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.

16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.

17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together./

Sounds like a brontosaurus.

Please stay with me on this, it is not an easy subject. When a scientist Looks at the world what he sees is exactly correct. Within the laws of
nature and empirical reason what he sees is 100 % correct.

Plato describes the function of the mind as thinking, feeling, acting. We are told we are made in the image of God. Plato only saw what God made or the way He made us. Humans were made with a mind to think or reason and a seat of emotion to feel compassion or anger and the free will to act.

God decided to make man, He wanted someone to fellowship with. God made man able to think feel and free to act, that is to obey and love God or not. The image of God in man is the ability with knowledge of result to make a choice.

Intellectual thinkers of our time reject God and say the world is billions of years old. God made them with a right to think this way if they wish. When man elevates himself to a position of “The Source of Knowledge”, that is my reason is the basis of all knowledge, this person has rejected God.

Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

This person has made a choice, they have a right to do so, but they do so without all the parts of reality and by rejecting many possibilities.

God created the world and in that creation made time. Time, a day and night, was made for man. God is eternal and is not bound by time, Humans are. If a scientist looks at the world using only empirical reason, allowing nothing else he will see exactly what God created. If by the rules and understanding the scientist follows he sees a world that is billions of years old it is only because that is what God created, not how or when. The age of the world,( about 6000 yrs) how or when it got here is not the question, DO you believe God created the world as we enjoy it now? He created it for us. The question is do you allow for God in your reasoning? He made us for fellowship and wants us to love Him. You have a right to reject God.

This is the First Philosophy, First Choice, Do I Believe in GOD?

The question of creation is VERY important, if God did not do what HE says all the rest falls. The world Satan and his followers would like to say God did not do what HE said.

There are holes in the genealogies, so they are unreliable as to the dating of humans, never mind the earth. And there are further assumptions than that. I'm not sure why Christians always blame the scientists for making assumptions when Christians are just as likely to be making assumptions about what Scripture states. This is something I noticed just the other day:

Gen 1:1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
Gen 1:3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.
Gen 1:4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
Gen 1:6 And God said...
Gen 1:8 And God called the expanse Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
Gen 1:9 And God said...
Gen 1:11 And God said...
Gen 1:13 And there was evening and there was morning, the third day.
Gen 1:14 And God said...
Gen 1:19 And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.
Gen 1:20 And God said...
Gen 1:23 And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day.
Gen 1:24 And God said...
Gen 1:26 Then God said...
Gen 1:29 And God said...
Gen 1:31 And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day. (ESV)

Notice that each day begins with "And God said," and ends with "the [nth] day." However, verses one and two are the creation of "the heavens and the earth." This is not a creation day. Day one begins in verse three. So it is quite possible that the age of the earth is very old since it is not included in the days of creation. The age of the earth is therefore a separate question from both evolution and the creation of life. So once again, we cannot use the genealogies to determine the age of the earth.
Good stuff free.

I think science is catching up to this and Christians need to answer it. And this is a very good answer.

Please stay with me on this, it is not an easy subject. When a scientist Looks at the world what he sees is exactly correct. Within the laws of
nature and empirical reason what he sees is 100 % correct.

Plato describes the function of the mind as thinking, feeling, acting. We are told we are made in the image of God. Plato only saw what God made or the way He made us. Humans were made with a mind to think or reason and a seat of emotion to feel compassion or anger and the free will to act.

God decided to make man, He wanted someone to fellowship with. God made man able to think feel and free to act, that is to obey and love God or not. The image of God in man is the ability with knowledge of result to make a choice.

Intellectual thinkers of our time reject God and say the world is billions of years old. God made them with a right to think this way if they wish. When man elevates himself to a position of “The Source of Knowledge”, that is my reason is the basis of all knowledge, this person has rejected God.

Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

This person has made a choice, they have a right to do so, but they do so without all the parts of reality and by rejecting many possibilities.

God created the world and in that creation made time. Time, a day and night, was made for man. God is eternal and is not bound by time, Humans are. If a scientist looks at the world using only empirical reason, allowing nothing else he will see exactly what God created. If by the rules and understanding the scientist follows he sees a world that is billions of years old it is only because that is what God created, not how or when. The age of the world,( about 6000 yrs) how or when it got here is not the question, DO you believe God created the world as we enjoy it now? He created it for us. The question is do you allow for God in your reasoning? He made us for fellowship and wants us to love Him. You have a right to reject God.

This is the First Philosophy, First Choice, Do I Believe in GOD?

The question of creation is VERY important, if God did not do what HE says all the rest falls. The world Satan and his followers would like to say God did not do what HE said.

I like how you think. I was going to post something similar. God said that he created the earth and stuff in 6 days. But what is time to God and His power. Even at 1000 years per day to God, God could do an awful lot of stuff! The whole time thing is really only relative to us while we are here. But, It's what we have to relate to, so...yeah, I tend to believe that the earth IS about 6000 years old.

How much stuff can God do in the twinkling of an eye?! Wow. How about in 1000 years? Man is smart sort of, but dumb sort of also in comparison to God and the entire spiritual realm. So the scientists/geologists whatever have it wrong, besides, they're trying to disprove the existence of God anyway, so there you go. We just don't get it, or wont get. Do we believe in God or not? Goood question brother.

This sounds like an evolution thread.
Count me in.
I say the earth is around 20,000 years old, give or take some years.
For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is passed, and as a watch in the night. Ps. 90:4
There are 4, 3 hour watches in the night Mt. 14:25; and 12 hours in a day, Jn. 11:9.
A thousand years equaling a watch, would add up to 8,000 years in one day; or, all of creation from day one, through the 1,000 years of peace, into the kingdom of God, in one day.
This day have I begotten thee... Heb. 1:5
Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. He. 3:7
Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. He. 4:7
...Thou art my Son this day have I begotten thee. He. 5:5
...There should be time no longer. Re. 10:6
Take therefore no thought for the morrow:... Mt. 6:34
...Be established in the present truth. 2 Pe. 1:12

It occurs to me that we're an Enoch generation. Enoch was the 7th from Adam. Based on the bible, we are early into the 7th day. Jesus rose early on the 3rd day. Right now, we are early into the 3rd day since Jesus was here. I guess this this would also make this 7th day a sabbath day for us. Hmmm

For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is passed, and as a watch in the night. Ps. 90:4
There are 4, 3 hour watches in the night Mt. 14:25; and 12 hours in a day, Jn. 11:9.
A thousand years equaling a watch, would add up to 8,000 years in one day; or, all of creation from day one, through the 1,000 years of peace, into the kingdom of God, in one day.

I don't think King David was thinking of math when he wrote that. It's not to be used in calculations, but to say that God is not restricted by time the way we are.

The TOG​

I don't think King David was thinking of math when he wrote that. It's not to be used in calculations, but to say that God is not restricted by time the way we are.

The TOG​

The TOG​
"It's not to be used in calculations?" Can you please provide scriptures that suppourt your opinion? That Psalm doesn't end at the 4th verse.
So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts to wisdom. Return, O LORD, how long? ...Ps. 90:12-13

Everytime I try to post, it tells me to try again! and it won't allow me to delete the extra posts.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back