Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Earth is 6000 yrs old?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I agree that the Bible is consistent. When understood correctly, there are no contradictions in Scripture. The problem I have with this is when people say that the same thing always has the same meaning, even though it's in a different context. Look at the creation account as an example. The first mention of the word "day" is in Gen. 1:3. Some people say that it refers to a literal 24-hour day. But what about this?

In that day Tyre will be forgotten for seventy years (Is. 23:15 ESV)
How can Tyre be forgotten for 70 years in 24 hours? It's obvious that "day" here refers to a longer period of time.

Some say that the first mention of the word "day" refers to a long period of time, perhaps even millions of years. But then what about this?
In the eleventh year, in the third month, on the first day of the month, the word of the Lord came to me: (Ez. 31:1 ESV)
Did this happen in the third million years of the month? Everybody can see that that's nonsense. It obviously refers to a period of 24 hours. So, however you interpret Gen. 1:3, the meaning of "day" there can't be applied to every occurrence of "day" after that. We have to look at each case in context to understand it properly. We can't just look at the first case and decide that it always means the same thing.

The TOG​

Yeah, agreed. Different meaning are not always obvious, but there with the same words depending on context, how it was used, and the Greek/Hebrew definitions. Like for instance, your example of "day" as when used with the 'day Tyre will be forgotten'...is used more accurately as uh, an "age" or period of time and not a 24 hour period.

I think you're reading more into that verse than is actually there. First of all, it's part of the same poem. It's not a math textbook. Secondly, there's no mention in that verse of 1000 years or of how to calculate the age of the earth or anything else. Try again.

The TOG​
I think you're reading more into that verse than is actually there. First of all, it's part of the same poem. It's not a math textbook. Secondly, there's no mention in that verse of 1000 years or of how to calculate the age of the earth or anything else. Try again.

The TOG​

What kind of a "Christian" shows up at a Bible study with nothing but their opinions? not even one Bible verse?
To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Is. 8:20

Last edited:
What kind of a "Christian" shows up at a Bible study with nothing but their opinions? not even one Bible verse?
To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Is. 8:20

Since you keep referring to it, show me where the law says anything about calculating time using the 1 day = 1000 years rule. So far, all you've done is show that phrase in a poetic context. All you have to to show that that's to be interpreted literally is your opinion. So unless you can show me a verse that actually supports your opinion, you're no better than you say I am.

And by the way, if you disagree with me, that's fine, but please don't imply that I'm not a Christian just because I don't have the same views as you do.

The TOG​

Since you keep referring to it, show me where the law says anything about calculating time using the 1 day = 1000 years rule. So far, all you've done is show that phrase in a poetic context. All you have to to show that that's to be interpreted literally is your opinion. So unless you can show me a verse that actually supports your opinion, you're no better than you say I am.

And by the way, if you disagree with me, that's fine, but please don't imply that I'm not a Christian just because I don't have the same views as you do.

The TOG​

I apoogize if you think I ever meant to "imply you aren't a Christian."

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Is.8:20

Actually, every Christian does, especially when Bible verses are being used. Using a verse from the Bible does not at all mean that one has understood it, so just simply giving verses does nothing.

Actually, every Christian does, especially when Bible verses are being used. Using a verse from the Bible does not at all mean that one has understood it, so just simply giving verses does nothing.
So, not using Bible verses proves you understand them?

"It's not to be used in calculations?" Can you please provide scriptures that suppourt your opinion? That Psalm doesn't end at the 4th verse.
So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts to wisdom. Return, O LORD, how long? ...Ps. 90:12-13
The first problem is that if we look at verse 4--"For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night." (ESV)--we see that it is a simile. The second problem is that it is poetry, where such things are not meant to be taken literally. The comparison is between the infiniteness of God and finiteness of man.

There simply is no reason to believe that this is some mathematical equation and we should not use it as such.

So, not using Bible verses proves you understand them?
No, that's not at all what I said. Not using Bible verses proves nothing, just as using them without explaining them proves nothing, which is referred to as proof texting.

The first problem is that if we look at verse 4--"For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night." (ESV)--we see that it is a simile. The second problem is that it is poetry, where such things are not meant to be taken literally. The comparison is between the infiniteness of God and finiteness of man.

There simply is no reason to believe that this is some mathematical equation and we should not use it as such.

Very well said, and poetic.

But this I confess unto thee, that after the manner which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things written in the law and in the prophets. Acts 24:14

Can you please give me one reason, why should I value your opinion, as a literal truth?

Very well said, and poetic.

But this I confess unto thee, that after the manner which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things written in the law and in the prophets. Acts 24:14

Can you please give me one reason, why should I value your opinion, as a literal truth?
Only that there are certain hermeneutical principles to be used when interpreting Scripture so that one is less likely to fall into error when interpreting Scripture. Some things are clear in Scripture and some things are not; some things are easy and some things are difficult. In the end, much of our biblical understanding is opinion, whether our own or someone else's and it becomes a matter of reasoning to which is the opinion that is more likely to be true.

So it is your opinion versus mine. I have given good reason as to why mine is more likely correct. And you posting of Acts 24:14 says nothing.

Only that there are certain hermeneutical principles to be used when interpreting Scripture so that one is less likely to fall into error when interpreting Scripture. Some things are clear in Scripture and some things are not; some things are easy and some things are difficult. In the end, much of our biblical understanding is opinion, whether our own or someone else's and it becomes a matter of reasoning to which is the opinion that is more likely to be true.

So it is your opinion versus mine. have given good reason as to why mine is more likely correct. And you posting of Acts 24:14 says nothing.

You are entitled to your opinion. Thank you for admitting, it is only your opinion. Your wrap up, is your opinion, and circular reasoning; because, using only your opinion as a reference, you dismissed the scripture I posted.

I esteem all of thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way. Ps. 119:128

Genesis 1:1 in the beginning God created heaven and the
Earth. God does not give a date .

Also heavens and the earth.one day with the lord is 1 thousand years with man.2nd peter 3:8 so it took the
Lord 6 thousand years.but it does not say when God
Created it.

Psa_50:10 For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.

God says the cattle on a thousand hills are His... Who owns the cattle on hill 1001?

Haha that's pretty funny.I think the lord would find that
Humorous too.

To me it kinda shows we cant do math like God ..
Also heavens and the earth.one day with the lord is 1 thousand years with man
Does that imply what we call a year 365 days is 365,000 years?

You are entitled to your opinion. Thank you for admitting, it is only your opinion. Your wrap up, is your opinion, and circular reasoning; because, using only your opinion as a reference, you dismissed the scripture I posted.
No, I did not use circular reasoning. I dismissed the Scripture you posted because you didn't explain what it meant nor what you meant by posting it. It was therefore meaningless.

I esteem all of thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way. Ps. 119:128
Again, meaningless without an explanation. You really shouldn't post Scriptures in that way.

So far, you don't seem to have even actually addressed the topic.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back