Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Easter eggs

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
It looks nice, lol!

It seems more and more of our traditions are rooted in paganism. To be honest, I could not care less. I am a follower of God and have the Holy Spirit. That is where my heart lies. Not in pagan practices. So I don't see a problem with painting Easter Eggs.

But to be honest I'd much rather eat them :biggrin

pretty pagan?

I don't I just cant, I can do a little bit of Santa at Christmas but the bunnys and eggs at His death/ resurrection not for me.

The best thing about the WORLDS view of Easter is the Bradbury commercial where the poor critters are trying to cluck like a chicken...

It looks nice, lol!

It seems more and more of our traditions are rooted in paganism. To be honest, I could not care less. I am a follower of God and have the Holy Spirit. That is where my heart lies. Not in pagan practices. So I don't see a problem with painting Easter Eggs.

But to be honest I'd much rather eat them :biggrin

I dont have a problem with painting them.

just want to know why or perhaps how it started and when it transferred/absorbed into christianity.

As far as I know the colouring of the eggs came to be due to the fasting rules during lent that didn't allow eating eggs in some places. So the eggs were hard boiled to keep them for a few weeks and marked with some colourfull mark according to the day the egg was laid, so people could eat the older ones first after the end of lent (=during Easter).

We either stand for the word of God or we fall prey to that of cultural traditions that have ungodly foundations. Sure, it all seems like fun to join in, but what excuse will we give before God for such actions.

The Easter Egg

Most children and families who color or hide Easter eggs as part of their Resurrection Sunday tradition have no knowledge of the origin of these traditions. Easter egg activities have become a part of Western culture. Many would be surprised and even dismayed to learn where the traditions originated.

“The egg was a sacred symbol among the Babylonians. They believed an old fable about an egg of wondrous size which was supposed to have fallen from heaven into the Euphrates River. From this marvelous egg - according to the ancient story - the Goddess Astarte (Easter) [Semiramis], was hatched. And so the egg came to symbolize the Goddess Easter.

The idea of a mystic egg spread from Babylon to many parts of the world. In Rome, the mystic egg preceded processions in honor of the Mother Goddess Roman. The egg was part of the sacred ceremonies of the Mysteries of Bacchus. The Druids used the egg as their sacred emblem. In Northern Europe, China and Japan the eggs were colored for their sacred festivals.

The egg was also a symbol of fertility; Semiramis (Easter) was the goddess of Fertility. The Easter egg is a symbol of the pagan Mother Goddess, and it even bears one of her names.

A truly unpleasant ritual...

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Hebrew_Roots/Neglected_Commandments/Idolatry/Easter

Ishtar, (Semiramis, widow of Nimrod, mother of Tammuz) came to be represented as the bare breasted pagan fertility goddess of the east. The original pagan festival of "Easter" was a sex orgy that celebrated the return of life via the fertility of Ishtar's conception of Tammuz. Worshipers of the Babylonian religion celebrated the conception of Tammuz on the first Sunday after the Full Moon that followed the Spring Equinox. They celebrated it by baking cakes to Ishtar, getting drunk, engaging in sex orgies and prostitution in the temple of Ishtar. Women were required to celebrate the conception of Tammuz by lying down in the temple and having sex with whoever entered. The man was required to leave her money. Babies were sacrificed in the honor of these pagan gods and their blood was consumed by the worshipers. The priest of Easter would sacrifice infants (human babies) and take the eggs of Easter/Ishtar, as symbols of fertility, and die them in the blood of the sacrificed infants (human babies). The Easter eggs would hatch on December 25th (nine months later), the same day her son Tammuz the reincarnate sun-god would be born.

Personally I mainly enjoyed it when I was a kid, but it does appeal to me as an artist. I drew on the eggs with a permanent marker after coloring them last year. There are a lot of really creative, artistic things you can do with the coloring, as well. I might look into trying more of them.

But mainly, I just like to eat them. Boiled eggs are delicious.

I wish some Christians would stop complaining about the removal of the word "Easter" from these egg hunts like the one here
in Edmonds, Washington. Leave the paganism to its place and keep the holy day sacred.

The word "Easter" may have a pagan origin, too. Some argue that the word came from the name of a germanic goddess named "Ostara" or "Eostre".

Not to derail the thread, but I get so tired of people chiming into discussions like this claiming that Easter celebrates a pagan holiday. I'd use a word that starts with the second letter of the alphabet and has the 19th letter in its middle, but the mods wouldn't like it.

The celebration of the pagan holiday occurs at the Vernal Equinox. That is March 20 or 21. The earliest possible date for the celebration of Jesus' resurrection is March 22. It hasn't been that early since 1913, and it won't be that early again until 2160. So knock off the nonsense, stop nitpicking your fellow Christians and trying to be a pseudo-spiritual person with all the legalistic entrapment that creates both for yourself and others, and celebrate the death, burial and resurrection of Christ, our Savior. Don't call it Easter, if that word bothers you so much (and you have a lot of work to do on your priorities if it does). Call it Resurrection Sunday. That identifies the purpose of our celebration, and honors Christ at the same time.

Now ... :topictotopic ... and thanks for allowing the interruption.

Why do we decorate Easter Eggs?

Because it's pagan but pretty. :toofunny

Yea... That's pretty much it. Lies always look more enticing to some people. The Truth looks enticing to others and they love it just as much as some like the lies. But as for me, there ain't no Ishtar eggs in my house. Call me a legalist.... Fine. But you can't accuse me of letting in a little leaven, can you?

one could. sheesh I have done Hanukkah. it has gelt. that comes from Christian influence the first time it was done their was no dreidel, or gelt, or food.

Not to derail the thread, but I get so tired of people chiming into discussions like this claiming that Easter celebrates a pagan holiday. I'd use a word that starts with the second letter of the alphabet and has the 19th letter in its middle, but the mods wouldn't like it.

The celebration of the pagan holiday occurs at the Vernal Equinox. That is March 20 or 21. The earliest possible date for the celebration of Jesus' resurrection is March 22. It hasn't been that early since 1913, and it won't be that early again until 2160. So knock off the nonsense, stop nitpicking your fellow Christians and trying to be a pseudo-spiritual person with all the legalistic entrapment that creates both for yourself and others, and celebrate the death, burial and resurrection of Christ, our Savior. Don't call it Easter, if that word bothers you so much (and you have a lot of work to do on your priorities if it does). Call it Resurrection Sunday. That identifies the purpose of our celebration, and honors Christ at the same time.

Now ... :topictotopic ... and thanks for allowing the interruption.

When we allow pagan practices into the Church, even though it's a cutesy thing for childrens entertainment, then we are also giving place to Satan unaware we are doing so. I don't care what you call me thisnumberdisconnected the point is are we serving God or enjoying the festivities of the world that seem alright in some peoples eyes, but yet come against God even in the innocense we think it is. There is no fence riding when it comes to God and no excuses before Him.

Back