Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Essentials of the Christian Faith

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Davies

What are the essentials of the faith?
Father, Son, Holy Spirit, Salvation through faith alone, the inerrancy of Scripture.

I realize there are many implications for each one of these categories, but I thought I would pose the question and list the essentials of the Christian faith. I also realize that when a person first becomes a Christian, he doesn't know all the ins and outs of theology, but given the opportunity to read the Bible, a genuine believer would agree on these points or he may be considered a false convert, or just didn't understand what he was reading.

I'll give my own opinion on what I struggle with regarding this list. Some would say the Bible is without error, or that the King James Bible is the preserved Word of God, but I think some nuances are lost between the translations. Let's face it, we are not cultural Hebrews or Greeks, and though we can study the languages, who knows what we may be missing in the translation. I think with all the copies we have, we can trust the conservative translations, and even in the less conservative translations, anyone can read them and come away with the same plan of salvation or the essentials of the faith.

Davies

What are the essentials of the faith?

The first essential that needs to be defined is who has the authority to define the essentials of the faith.

Is it the Church that existed in and prior to the 16th century, in what has been called the West since the division of the 11th century, and had already defined certain essentials of the faith by the 16th century, and continues today under the name of the Roman Catholic Church?

Is it one of the original Protestants that rebelled against that authority already in place in the West in the 16th century? Is it one of the Protestant denominations created by that rebellion or an individual influenced by that rebellion?

Is the authority a man who is living today?

Is the authority a written document that is susceptible to the subjective interpretations of everyone who reads it?

Or maybe the authority isn’t natural at all, but rather supernatural. Is the authority the Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ, or God himself?

Is the authority a combination of two or more of the possible authorities mentioned above?

Or is there some other authority?

Who has the authority to define that which is the proper authority that defines the essentials of the faith?

FC

Former Christian,

I think what you point out is that we, fallen creatures, have a great propensity to confuse the matter. We have all of the examples that you sited, but you want to know another astonishing fact? Every person in the world that exercises any level of autonomy, puts their faith in something. That something, whether it be themselves or the rules someone else has made up, becomes their authority. This is called usurping God's authority or idolatry, breaking the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 9th, and 10th Commandment.

We have so many examples of people twisting what the Bible says that it's amazing that we have any Christian influence in our society today, not that influence over society is our goal. Prosperity preaching, the countless cults, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Roman Catholicism, Hinduism, the Islamic faith, and on and on and on. The Bible is not that difficult to read, but what I think we're missing is a genuine bowing at the feet of Jesus. The anger of God is displayed against man in that God gives them over to uncleanness. When we do whatever we want to in the name of freedom or religion, I wouldn't say God is pleased with us.

The authority is with God alone, and it is penned in the Bible for all of us to be informed. Leave it to sinful man to say, like his father, 'Did God say?'

- Davies

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved..

That's all God requires.. isn't it.. although the Lord alone knows the heart and He alone seals a believer with the Holy Spirit of promise.

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of His glory.

I didn't have a clue about any essentials when I first trusted in Christ, after hearing the gospel, and after I believed.. I didn't know what being born again was or that I was born again etc.. it can sometimes take years etc to come to some understanding of these things in a biblical sense..

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved..

That's all God requires.. isn't it.. although the Lord alone knows the heart and He alone seals a believer with the Holy Spirit of promise.

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of His glory.

I didn't have a clue about any essentials when I first trusted in Christ, after hearing the gospel, and after I believed.. I didn't know what being born again was or that I was born again etc.. it can sometimes take years etc to come to some understanding of these things in a biblical sense..

I like what Eventide wrote, especially the undelying theme. I had a couple of different verses in mind, but my conclusion is the same (If I'm understanding him correctly): That yes, a verse may give you a simple one line answer, but to truly follow that verse, you have to understand everything it means, which requires more and more and more reading until you've covered most of the Bible.

For example, we look at Acts 2:21 (whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved), and we see a simple soloution. We add to that Matthew 22:37-40 which describe the great commandment which says to love the Lord with all thy heart and love thy neigbor.

It seems like a pretty good start and two good verses to hang your hat on. However, you look at Romans 10:14 and you find out you can't call on him unless you believe, and heard him, and you can't hear without a preacher. Furthermore, we know to love the Lord, but Jesus said in John 14:15 that if we love him, we keep his commandments. Then we have to figure out what "love thy neighbor" means, which requires a lot of reading as well (both letters to the corinthians, for example.

My point is that it is easy to find one or two verses and list the essentials of faith, but a whole lot more to actually put them into practice.

It's kind of like a new Christian saying, "I'm a new Christian... What is the one book of the Bible that I should read first?" Most would probably pick one of the Gospels, but we probably would conclude that eventually he's going to have to read them all.

The Bible is not that difficult to read .........

I agree... Essentials of faith and salvation are all found in the Bible which the Holy Spirit helps us understand.

1 Corinthians 2:12-14

What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

Good morning,

The note I'm getting is that we shouldn't be confused with the process of sanctification and justification. The process of sanctification will take us the rest of our lives and not just a few years.

Let's take Glenn Beck for an example, because he is a very public person. He seems to have many experiences that are the same with your typical evangelical. He has a rotten past, has a religious experience, his life is changed and then he thanks God professing faith in Jesus Christ. The only problem is that his faith is in the Jesus that is the brother of Satan. His faith is not in God. We don't agree on the Son and the inerrancy of Scripture even though, I think, they use the same Bible we do.

Now, I'm not his judge, but I can discern the truth and know what he believes is wrong, sinful. I don't hate Glenn, and I hope he comes to repentance, as he doesn't believe in the essentials of the faith.

- Davies

I think Eventide said it well when he said, believe on the Christ. Everything else bears witness to that. Sanctification, justification, all happens because of this one thing, believing on the Christ. Why? because you said it well also, everyone believes in something to be true, although you described it as a level of autonomy rather than ignorance. You should rethink that. Anyway evryone puts their belief somewhere in some measure. This then becomes their god, and this also becomes their morality. The Christ however is the True Image sent by God Himself, and not made in the imaginations of men. When we believe in him we become like him. And only in him is eternal life.

I think Eventide said it well when he said, believe on the Christ. Everything else bears witness to that. Sanctification, justification, all happens because of this one thing, believing on the Christ. Why? because you said it well also, although you regarded it as a level of autonomy rather than ignorance; everyone believes in something to be true. This becomes their god, and this becomes their morality. The Christ however is the True Image sent by God Himself and not made in the imaginations of men. When we believe in him we become like him.

Hi childeye,

Take the Christ of Christian, and we can have no unity. But, oh, how sweet the unity is that we have between Christians.

- Davies

Hi childeye,

Take the Christ of Christian, and we can have no unity. But, oh, how sweet the unity is that we have between Christians.

- Davies
Sounds like you got up on the right side of the bed today. Since you're in a good mood, may I trouble you to tell me why I have taken issue with you calling faith a degree of autonomy?

his life is changed and then he thanks God professing faith in Jesus Christ. The only problem is that his faith is in the Jesus that is the brother of Satan.
This is key. Too many people say "believe on the Christ" or something along that line and that is all we need. However, not only does the Bible say more than that, even by that statement itself, such a statement is somewhat naive and presumes that the Christ one is professing in is actually the Christ of Scripture.

The very idea of "believing on Christ" means to believe in who he is and all that he has done, especially but certainly not limited to, his literal physical death and resurrection.

Sounds like you got up on the right side of the bed today. Since you're in a good mood, may I trouble you to tell me why I have taken issue with you calling faith a degree of autonomy?

Hi childeye,

The majority of people don't put their faith in Jesus, but they will put their faith in science or themselves. I believe that God allows us a level of freedom. We have the freedom to not receive the forgiveness of sins. We, as a people, break God's laws all day, everyday. I wouldn't say God is making us sin. I'm afraid we have to take responsibility for our sins ourselves. That's the autonomy I'm talking about. The faith we put in anything other than Jesus leads us to sin.

- Davies

Hi childeye,

The majority of people don't put their faith in Jesus, but they will put their faith in science or themselves. I believe that God allows us a level of freedom. We have the freedom to not receive the forgiveness of sins. We, as a people, break God's laws all day, everyday. I wouldn't say God is making us sin. I'm afraid we have to take responsibility for our sins ourselves. That's the autonomy I'm talking about. The faith we put in anything other than Jesus leads us to sin.

- Davies
Davies, of course all lies exist to obscure the Truth. I believe the second greatest lie ever believed and told, is that a person can create their own Truth rather than submit to the One that exists and is Eternal. The Truth the Christ displays is the only true freedom, for in it is life, and the only true faith. What others would call faith in anything other than the One True God, I would call unfaith or unbelief.

Responsibility can only be seen in submitting to the Eternal Truth, not in giving credence to the existence to the lie by presuming there's a choice. It is a false premise. All sin happens because we are under a lie, so no one who sins is walking in Truth nor are they in freedom. Only sinners think they sin freely being under the lie. Hence Jesus says the Truth will set you free, and men say, we are in bondage to no one, how do you say we are to be made free? Therefore to blame others for sin when we ourselves have sinned, is not being responsible since it reinforces the conviction that sin is voluntary. That is why Jesus says, "forgive them they know not what they do", and, "the sick need a doctor". You can't believe in Jesus and also hold others responsible for sin. That would be hypocritical. It is ultimately God's to show mercy since we all have sinned and been under a lie, and have taken His Truth as nothing. That's why I think it is essential to the faith, that there is a valid reason for returning good for evil as seen in the belief of the Christ.. A substantive Truth with power to destroy lies and change men of flesh into sons of God...

Last edited by a moderator:
Davies, of course all lies exist to obscure the Truth. I believe the second greatest lie ever believed and told, is that a person can create their own Truth rather than submit to the One that exists and is Eternal. The Truth the Christ displays is the only true freedom, for in it is life, and the only true faith. What others would call faith in anything other than the One True God, I would call unfaith or unbelief.

Responsibility can only be seen in submitting to the Eternal Truth, not in giving credence to the existence to the lie by presuming there's a choice. It is a false premise. All sin happens because we are under a lie, so no one who sins is walking in Truth nor are they in freedom. Only sinners think they sin freely being under the lie. Hence Jesus says the Truth will set you free, and men say, we are in bondage to no one, how do you say we are to be made free? Therefore to blame others for sin when we ourselves have sinned, is not being responsible since it reinforces the conviction that sin is voluntary. That is why Jesus says, "forgive them they know not what they do", and, "the sick need a doctor". You can't believe in Jesus and also hold others responsible for sin. That would be hypocritical. It is ultimately God's to show mercy since we all have sinned and been under a lie, and have taken His Truth as nothing. That's why I think it is essential to the faith, that there is a valid reason for returning good for evil as seen in the belief of the Christ.. A substantive Truth with power to destroy lies and change men of flesh into sons of God...

I think you're not catching my drift. If a person doesn't own his part and responsibility for his sins, then he will never see the value in the cross and the work Jesus did. Ask any unbeliever if one lie is worthy of eternal condemnation, and he will say 99% of the time no. People don't understand the seriousness of sin and I hope to have a better understanding of it even though I've been born again.

The argument of free will and having no free will is justification for many people to do whatever they want. On the other side of the ditch is the person who thinks they have the freedom to so whatever they want. I understand that we need the ability that only God can give to put our faith in Him and to repent of our sin, but if you think people don't have any autonomy to make any choices in life, I will have to disagree with you.

We can disagree on this matter can't we? Is this free will business an essential doctrine? I think it's secondary. I would go witnessing with an extreme Calvinist and spread the Gospel. I don't think he's a heretic. But tell me you can justify yourselves in your own righteousness, then I won't call you my brother in Christ. Is that judgmental? No. It's a matter of fact. Someone may disagree with me, so we don't enjoy unity, not at the expense of the Gospel. If something can't be done in faith, then it's sin. In the Christian society, the essentials must be stressed, everything else we should be long suffering towards and tolerated.

- Davies

If a person doesn't own his part and responsibility for his sins, then he will never see the value in the cross and the work Jesus did.
This is true which is why those forgiven much love much. A person can still lament his condition as a sinner while admitting sin is an infirmity of the flesh not the product of a free will.

but if you think people don't have any autonomy to make any choices in life, I will have to disagree with you.
It is not my desire to disagree but to agree. I only need say that pertaining to morality no man is autonomus, since God is our morality. Without His Spirit we are immoral.

We can disagree on this matter can't we? Is this free will business an essential doctrine? I think it's secondary.

In the Christian society, the essentials must be stressed, everything else we should be long suffering towards and tolerated.

- Davies
I like what you say Davies. I am sure you would admit that belief in Christ is essential so that the will of a man is changed. If I tell an atheist he has a free will to choose to be good or evil of his own accord, I have already dismissed the need for Christ other than a way to get his sins paid for. This brings forth the ethical question of shouldn't someone who sins at will, pay for their own sins, rather than the innocent suffer for their bad deeds? Is that what we are teaching, that God would punish the innocent for the deeds of the guilty? If I say to the atheist that every man is free to choose to obey God, and then he schools me by showing me in scripture where people thought they had chose to obey God, but killed others who preached the Gospel, I'd look like a brainwashed religious nut that doesn't know what he's talking about. This all does a disservice to the Gospel of Christ.

Thanks for your sincere and forthright response.

childeye,

I once heard a reason why God is often vague on any given subject was so that we would form different denominations. Having different denominations is not necessarily a bad thing. One of the main effects of having so many denominations is that the Church would never again be able to be taken over by anyone one individual. I found that to be a pleasant thought.

I like the straight forward conversation and appreciate your patience with me. When there is nothing to hide, then it becomes easier to see our faults. It's tough to see your own faults especially when it comes to the touchy subjects. Usually when I'm wrong, the other person listens to a lot of emotionalism, but I'm grateful for those who will take the time to listen. The gift of listening is a significant gift which ministers to people.

- Davies

childeye,

I once heard a reason why God is often vague on any given subject was so that we would form different denominations. Having different denominations is not necessarily a bad thing. One of the main effects of having so many denominations is that the Church would never again be able to be taken over by anyone one individual. I found that to be a pleasant thought.

I like the straight forward conversation and appreciate your patience with me. When there is nothing to hide, then it becomes easier to see our faults. It's tough to see your own faults especially when it comes to the touchy subjects. Usually when I'm wrong, the other person listens to a lot of emotionalism, but I'm grateful for those who will take the time to listen. The gift of listening is a significant gift which ministers to people.

- Davies
Davies, I like your pleasant thought. What a wonderful sentiment and surprising response to my post. I find it most refresshing.

Personally I think there are as many denominations as people. Every cell in the body of Christ serves it's individual service in the unity of the Higher mind of Christ.

As for listening, some who love me, say I am not very good at it. So I take it to heart that you perchance have mentioned it.
Would it make sense to you if I said it sometimes seems harder to be right all the time? Or to rephrase; would it make sense to you that it sometimes would be better to not be right all the time?

This brings forth the ethical question of shouldn't someone who sins at will, pay for their own sins, rather than the innocent suffer for their bad deeds? Is that what we are teaching, that God would punish the innocent for the deeds of the guilty?

I reread your post this morning, and didn't have time to respond. Although, as Christians, we fight sin, and we don't dive into it, your question of would God punish the innocent for the deeds of the guilty, may be answered in the negative when it comes to me and you and all the people of the world, but the answer is a most wonderful yes when it comes to Jesus. God the Father punished Jesus for our sin, simply amazing. This is the stumbling block to the Jew and foolishness to the Gentile. It is the good news of the Gospel and it's most essential.

- Davies

I reread your post this morning, and didn't have time to respond. Although, as Christians, we fight sin, and we don't dive into it, your question of would God punish the innocent for the deeds of the guilty, may be answered in the negative when it comes to me and you and all the people of the world, but the answer is a most wonderful yes when it comes to Jesus. God the Father punished Jesus for our sin, simply amazing. This is the stumbling block to the Jew and foolishness to the Gentile. It is the good news of the Gospel and it's most essential.

- Davies
I do not think that God punished the innocent for the guilty as it appears. I believe the Christ vouched for us by paying the price to those voices in heaven that would accuse us before the throne and desired to see us destroyed. The scriptures say, The good shepherd lays down his life to protect the sheep, while the hireling sees the wolf coming and runs. God is not a wolf. Perhaps you would comment on this story:

I was walking in despair because I hated myself and my burden was great, and my only comfort was that there were others with burdens greater than my own and I loathed myself all the more. Then a man came to me holding a cup filled with the blood of the son of God which had been shed through great torture. And he said, drink from this cup and you will be renewed and live forever. And I saw judgment at the cup. For if this son of God suffered torture and death so that I might be spared from a cruel and merciless prosecuter, I'd better drink from it so that his suffering will not have been in vain. But if it is to escape the righteous judgment that I have coming to me, I would rather die in my sins than be willing to harm one hair on his precious head.

Back