Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Eternal hell with new creation?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

T. E. Smith

Romantic Rationalist
The new creation theme in the Bible does not seem to go with the notion of an eternal hell. Isaiah 55 and Romans 8 teach God's renewal of the world into perfection. It is said that in the future, Christ will be "all in all." It does not seem to make sense for God's new creation, then, to have an eternal torture chamber in it. In the new creation, God returns the world to its state before sin. How can Hell be part of that intent? How can Christ be all in all, with unbelievers tortured forever?

He could do so in theory though right? Cleanse all the sin out from someone who is evil?
Your right, God could do anything. But in this case never, because God loves us so much He will not take from His creation the right to choose. In fact think on this. The Father, the only member of the trinity who has foreknowledge, knew it advance that sin would enter His creation. Yet, all creation was given the ability of free choice. What does that say about how He values our ability to choose. It also tells us that God does not govern His creation based on foreknowledge, but rather love.

And if they didn't, I would never light them on fire and burn them forever. I'd never even begin to consider such a horrific possibility! Yet that is what God does.
T. E. Smith. I do hope you move upward on this thread and read my post to Stovebolts. You, are sincerely mistaken on your understanding of hell. (Rm. 6:23) clearly states, the wages of sin is, "Death", not everlasting punishment, even though you and many others believe this to be the case.

Why would this not make sense, after all, when God had finished six days of creation, He said that all he had made was very good. (Gen. 1:31)
But very many things have changed since then. And besides, not a single person who walked with God who wrote inspired words from Him (The Bible) thought this. If we want truth, we have to surrender what we imagine is good at times. Our understanding is too limited to think what we imagine is so. God is not resurrecting Eden. It’s a new earth that is promised, not the ancient one.

Stovebolts, I'm sure you believe, "...the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Rm. 6:28), but it appears by the above quote you deny the first half of that verse which I'm sure you know, ," For the wages of sin is death". Truth is discovered when we find the harmony of the sum of all the texts on any given subject. As I read through this thread we have Christians discussing apposing views on hell using Bible texts in support of their view. This puts the Bible in a state of internal conflict. We can be sure in such discussions the truth is not correctly understood.

Death in this texts, means end of life, the second death which there is no resurrection, nor an eternity of suffering or torment as many believe. Not at all, in this world as sinful as it is, even our justice system believes the punishment for a crime used be commensurate with the crime. Yet many Christians believe a God more loving than fallen man is less merciful when it comes to the punishment of the wicked. Are not some individuals fare more sinful and evil than others?

The wicked who will be cast into Hell, along with Satan and fallen angles, all will suffer, according to their deeds. While the saints reign with Christ in Heaven the 1,000 yrs. between the first and second resurrection, they will set with Christ in a judgement that will view the lives of the wicked and determine the length of time the wicked will suffer before they are consumed to ashes. Satan and the fallen angles will suffer the longest as they are responsible for leading mankind into sin, But in the end the fires of Hell will go out, and what remains is mere ashes under the feet of the redeemed. (Malachi 4:3).

(2Peter 2:6) If He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is gong to happen to the ungodly. Now for those who believe Hell is eternal, let me ask the question, Is Sodom or Gomorrah burning today?
Where does the Bible report that the punishments for sin is dealt out purely in the length of time one is in hell? I do not recall seeing that to be any sentence.

Since the wages of sin is death refers purely to the life we live in the body, that verse cannot be used to support your position. Neither does the scripture on Sodom support it because they all died instantly with no reference to what happened afterwards.

T.E. Smith. You make a very good point, even common sense tells you that a eternal Hell, is contrary to the character of God. Yet many Christians it seems, lack basic common sense.

I will say as a youth I was taught hell was eternal. In my early thirties as a mature adult, I then learned the truth, and learned the phrase, "eternal fire" in (Mat. 18:8) means the effects of the fire are eternal, not the fire itself. With this thought in mind then (Malachi 4:3), and (2Peter 2:6) harmonize, and we don't put the Bible in a stake of internal conflict, and I have come to understand the truth.

Hope this brings you peace of mind.
Personally I think it’s better to rest or have peace of mind KNOWING God is just rather than try to figure out how hell is just having only partial information. In plain words, we do not understand the gravity of sin unless He reveals it so we cannot possibly understand the justice of God in the matter. I think Jesus would say, “just make sure you don’t go there.” (“unless you repent you will all likewise perish”)

Hell is separation from God for eternity .

Any disagreement on that ?
The only verse explicitly indicating a separation is 2 Thess. 1:9: "They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might." Yet here we still get the theme of eternal destruction. Elsewhere Hell is described, the emphasis is always on the destruction/fire/pain/suffering, not on a separation. People like C. S. Lewis might want to emphasize the separation aspect to make Hell more palatable, but that's not the biblical emphasis.
T. E. Smith. I do hope you move upward on this thread and read my post to Stovebolts. You, are sincerely mistaken on your understanding of hell. (Rm. 6:23) clearly states, the wages of sin is, "Death", not everlasting punishment, even though you and many others believe this to be the case.
Yes, I read it. So one explanation is annihilationism. That's fine.
Since the wages of sin is death refers purely to the life we live in the body, that verse cannot be used to support your position. Neither does the scripture on Sodom support it because they all died instantly with no reference to what happened afterwards.
The wages of sin is death - I think that verse actually does refer to what happens after death, but it's sometimes expressed as "eternal death." What would it mean to refer to the life in the body? Because everyone dies in the body, believer or no.
That’s not hell for many because that’s exactly what they had in this life and want for the next.
Agreed, which is why the Bible also has to add the eternal destruction. Believers will be dissuaded from Hell purely based on the separation. But unbelievers also need the eternal destruction. That's how the Bible controls people. :)
Personally I think it’s better to rest or have peace of mind KNOWING God is just rather than try to figure out how hell is just having only partial information. In plain words, we do not understand the gravity of sin unless He reveals it so we cannot possibly understand the justice of God in the matter. I think Jesus would say, “just make sure you don’t go there.” (“unless you repent you will all likewise perish”)
Perhaps, but this necessarily excludes your view from discussion.

The new creation theme in the Bible does not seem to go with the notion of an eternal hell. Isaiah 55 and Romans 8 teach God's renewal of the world into perfection. It is said that in the future, Christ will be "all in all." It does not seem to make sense for God's new creation, then, to have an eternal torture chamber in it. In the new creation, God returns the world to its state before sin. How can Hell be part of that intent? How can Christ be all in all, with unbelievers tortured forever?
Although it is a common perception, you first need to prove that the Bible teaches Hell is a place of eternal torture. You also need to define what you mean by “torture.”

That’s not hell for many because that’s exactly what they had in this life and want for the next.
Anyone could make it their life's work to separate themselves from God but it is an impossibility while we are alive . Why ? God is omnipresent . So in this life no one knows what it is to be truly separated from God ! God and all of His attributes are still close to you even if you don't want them to be .

The only verse explicitly indicating a separation is 2 Thess. 1:9: "They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might." Yet here we still get the theme of eternal destruction. Elsewhere Hell is described, the emphasis is always on the destruction/fire/pain/suffering, not on a separation. People like C. S. Lewis might want to emphasize the separation aspect to make Hell more palatable, but that's not the biblical emphasis.
Hell is a special place prepared for Satan and his cohorts it is not God's intention for humans to go there but yet they choose this destination .
The reason I brought up separation from God is that we have always had God close by .
No one alive truly knows what it is to be separated from God !
To be separated from God's Love , Kindness , Goodwill , Compassion , and his Grace . That will be a Hell of pain without a doubt almost unimaginable . Palatable surely you jest .

Attributes of God

What does it mean that hell is eternal separation from God?

Is hell eternal separation from God?

No one alive truly knows what it is to be separated from God !
To be separated from God's Love , Kindness , Goodwill , Compassion , and his Grace . That will be a Hell of pain without a doubt almost unimaginable . Palatable surely you jest .
Sounds good to me. :) :)
Why ? God is omnipresent . So in this life no one knows what it is to be truly separated from God ! God and all of His attributes are still close to you even if you don't want them to be .
Is God present in Hell? If not, is he then truly not omnipresent?

Although it is a common perception, you first need to prove that the Bible teaches Hell is a place of eternal torture. You also need to define what you mean by “torture.”
Oxford dictionary on torture: the act of causing somebody severe pain in order to punish them or make them say or do something. Can we agree that Hell is 1) severe pain, and 2) punishment ? Therefore, it is torture. Luke 16:23 speaks of a rich man "in Hades, where he was in torment."

Oxford dictionary on torture: the act of causing somebody severe pain in order to punish them or make them say or do something.
That’s fine.

Can we agree that Hell is 1) severe pain, and 2) punishment ? Therefore, it is torture. Luke 16:23 speaks of a rich man "in Hades, where he was in torment."
Your conclusion doesn’t follow, especially with the use of “torment.” Does torment necessarily equal torture?

There are a few assumptions that you need to deal with:

1. That the Bible teaches Hell is a place of eternal torture.
2. That torment is equal to torture.
3. That punishment is equal to torture.

That’s fine.

Your conclusion doesn’t follow, especially with the use of “torment.” Does torment necessarily equal torture?

There are a few assumptions that you need to deal with:

1. That the Bible teaches Hell is a place of eternal torture.
2. That torment is equal to torture.
3. That punishment is equal to torture.
Torment is just a translation. All we care about is the Greek word. But, ok: Oxford definition of torment: extreme pain, especially mental pain; a person or thing that causes this. Examples given in the dictionary: "She suffered years of mental torment after her son's death." "The cries of a man in torment." "The flies were a terrible torment." For synonyms, it gives agony, suffering, torture, pain, and anguish. All of which describe Hell well.

Okay, so I've shown that torment is equal to torture, and that it does not necessarily matter anyways because it is just a translation.

The Bible teaches that Hell is a place of eternal torment: Revelation 20:10 "They will be tormented day and night forever and ever." Revelation 14:11 "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name." Since torment = torture, therefore Hell is a place of eternal torture.

Hell is a place of eternal punishment: Matthew 25:46 "And these will go away into eternal punishment." Since Hell is a place of eternal torture and is a place of eternal punishment, then the punishment in Hell is torture. This does not require much scriptural investigation.

You are correct. Resurrected to the lake of fire is terrible, but the result is the person perishing. Not living forever in torment. This truth hit me like a ton of bricks when a member in my church said, "We ALL have eternal life! We all do. The question is where are you going to spend it?" It suddenly hit me that life is the opposite of death. The soul that sins shall die. Not the soul that sins shall live in eternal torment. Likewise, Jesus said that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. He did not say 'shall not spend life in eternal torment'. The whole doctrine is based on the doctrine that a human soul (or spirit) is immortal. It is not, Since we die, we are inherently mortal. Eternal life is something that God grants as only God is inherently immortal. The fire is the means to eradicate wickedness. But even that thought crossed my mind one day. What is that fire? Is that the Lord Himself being an all-consuming fire? Is that Shekinah glory that a sinner can't stand in his presence at judgement and live? I'm sure God can kindle a fire that way as well, and what is considered the lake of fire I think is the renovation process that this earth will one day undergo (note when it takes place in the bible near the very end before the new heaven and earth). All wickedness, including Satan, will be destroyed.
Tim, thanks for your post, readers on this thread need to know, that everlasting torment, is not a correct understanding of hell, it is as many know a teaching of Satan, to discredit the love and justice of God, thus turning many away from every trying to understand Him. It certainly seems that T.E. Smith is having a hard time over this issue, as countless others unknown to us are as well.

If you are a reader of this post and believe in everlasting torment of the wicked, please consider the following:
(Rm. 6:23) says, "for the wages of sin is death...". I should add here for clarification we are not talking death by accident, illness, or old age. We are talking "death by execution".

In the earthly sanctuary system, a perfect sacrificial offering was required for atonement of ones sins. That perfect, sacrificial animal had to be "executed" on the alter, and it's blood applied to the horns of that altar as a record. (Hebrews 9:22) ... "without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness. "
This service pointed to the point in the future when God the Father, would offer up His own perfect sacrifice,
Christ, to be executed, and His blood would atone for the sins of the world.

Christians rightfully believe that Christ died on calvary, and rose again on the first day of the week. In so doing Christ paid in full the "wages of sin- (the second death by execution, of which there is no resurrection) for all sinners who would choose Him as their redeemer.

If one believes this to be true, and yet on the other hand believe that sinners will experience everlasting punishment in hell, then Christ didn't pay the penalty, for He should still be suffering forever. Therefore, His blood would never be shed for the remission of sins. This of course makes no sense, however, many christians believe such is the gospel.

If you have been walking in such darkness, please humble yourself, and confess your misunderstanding and allow the Holy Spirit to guide you into the light, and enjoy a greater understanding of God's love for you and His entire creation.

readers on this thread need to know, that everlasting torment, is not a correct understanding of hell, it is as many know a teaching of Satan, to discredit the love and justice of God, thus turning many away from every trying to understand Him. It certainly seems that T.E. Smith is having a hard time over this issue, as countless others unknown to us are as well.
A "hard time"? I just cited Revelation 20:10 "They will be tormented day and night forever and ever" and Revelation 14:11 "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name." Biblically Hell is actually everlasting torment, that is, torment forever and ever.
If one believes this to be true, and yet on the other hand believe that sinners will experience everlasting punishment in hell, then Christ didn't pay the penalty, for He should still be suffering forever. Therefore, His blood would never be shed for the remission of sins. This of course makes no sense, however, many christians believe such is the gospel.
Why must he be still be suffering forever? Christ is no longer atoning for anyone currently in Hell, but only for everyone on Earth. The Bible does not articulate any of what you say here, which is maybe why it makes no sense.

Torment is just a translation. All we care about is the Greek word. But, ok: Oxford definition of torment: extreme pain, especially mental pain; a person or thing that causes this. Examples given in the dictionary: "She suffered years of mental torment after her son's death." "The cries of a man in torment." "The flies were a terrible torment." For synonyms, it gives agony, suffering, torture, pain, and anguish. All of which describe Hell well.
I did not state my point well, but you have here helped me out. What I was trying to get to, is that torment is not always caused by something external, it can be internal. That is, it is not necessarily physical. It can be emotional and mental anguish.

Okay, so I've shown that torment is equal to torture, and that it does not necessarily matter anyways because it is just a translation.
It can matter, as sometimes people equate torture with something physical being done to someone, while torment can be seen as also psychological.

The Bible teaches that Hell is a place of eternal torment: Revelation 20:10 "They will be tormented day and night forever and ever." Revelation 14:11 "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name." Since torment = torture, therefore Hell is a place of eternal torture.
Not necessarily. Note that it seems we have levels of punishment for unbelievers and levels of reward for believers, according to Paul in 1 Cor. 3:11-15.

Similarly, regarding any physical punishment in hell, look at what Jesus says:

Luk 12:45 But if that servant says to himself, 'My master is delayed in coming,' and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and get drunk,
Luk 12:46 the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces and put him with the unfaithful.
Luk 12:47 And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating.
Luk 12:48 But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more. (ESV)

This suggests that any physical punishment will be temporary. I suggest that while any physical punishment will be temporary, either severe or light or anything in between, there will be mental anguish that will last forever--knowing what is and what could have been.

Hell is a place of eternal punishment: Matthew 25:46 "And these will go away into eternal punishment." Since Hell is a place of eternal torture and is a place of eternal punishment, then the punishment in Hell is torture. This does not require much scriptural investigation.
It does, however, seem to require more scriptural and more nuanced linguistic investigation than you have given it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back