Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Explaining why many people are stuck on OSAS

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
It could be possible that not being brought up Baptist then you might not get my point being aimed and the Hard core election concept.
Whatever happens to me is God!!! It's God's fault bad or good.
This is a Baptist understanding of God, so OSAS is a person by the election of Grace picked by God to be saved and nothing can change that.
Heads Up ...

If all of the olde church denominations could/can be so disastrously wrong
about cessationism, they certainly could/can be wrong about anything!

There were/are many reasons for erroneous doctrines in the churches!

You may take this as a personal warning, and take it to the bank as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so we're talking about a certain group focusing on certain parts of scripture much more than others to support their beliefs. Not unusual.

Just because I also share a belief in the same scripture doesn't mean I share their gusto or extremist views based on said scripture. Maybe "extremist" is too strong a word. dunno.
Seems your objection is based on ideas brought forth through extreme views because to tell the truth if that's how Baptists see it (the irresponsibility you posted) then I'm not all that agreeable with that view either.
None-the-less I believe predestination is biblical.

The 'obedience of faith' is by grace anyway; it's not a question of 'you better try hard enought to keep it up in case you become lost again'.

Blessings.

@Potluck I too believed in God and Jesus before I even knew there was a debate about election or OSAS. Being online with other Christians has been a learning experience for me.
@John Zain I just thought if I followed Acts 16:30-31, all I have to do is believe and Romans 8:38-39 would apply. Is it possible there are those who call Jesus Lord, yet their hearts are far from him? That they never were part of the family to begin with?
I thought we are now the sons and daughters of God. I warn my daughter not to run with scissors, but even if she ignored my warnings she is still my daughter.

I think a lot of the debate with predestination v free will has to do with the definition of "determine". It can be used two ways, for example: I determined what my daughter would wear today. Meaning, I made the choice, not her. Another example: I determined my daughter would go to college. Meaning, I knew she was going to make a decision about it and so I planned accordingly. The decision was ultimately hers and not mine, even though I determined what would happen. We determine a lot for our children in some cases they have no choice but in others they do.

I am 100% into election ...
but BACs are not given a free pass with no responsibilities.

That almost does not make sense. I might be sterotyping though as there are many different branches of belief's. I know a Baptist Pastor the prays in tongues...... (Not in Church of course he keeps it to himself at home)

So it's possible you don't buy into the OSAS and are into Election.

Then question then I have to ask is How far are you against OSAS and does it borderline on having to keep works to get to Heaven and Eternal life. Scripture does say work out your own Salvation with fear and trembling, denoting that some work is involved but Salvation also covers Physical healing as well as Morally be well.

In other words, I don't think you just wake up one day and not be saved or a night of sin just suddenly does not make you a child of God anymore. I don't believe dying with two beers in your hand after a night of sleeping with 5 girls sends you to hell. I don't think we are that insecure, but I also believe we have a choice to walk away from the Lord, as we do have choices and responsibilities.

What you think? I hate election doctrine, but on the same hand I believe it would take an extreme force of our Will to not want Jesus anymore and walk away to be unsaved.

Mike.

Those who need to hold tightly to the once-saved theory, are those who's minds are bound in dead religion. They do not grasp the concept of God's love, grace, and mercy towards us, and therefore need to feel secure, because they do not feel worthy as they are attempting to be saved by works.

Look up the word "grace"; then look up the term "oxymoron", and then re-read what you wrote here. That might help.

Danus, I agree that there is a "grace" issue with those who oppose OSAS. On the other hand, I do think there are a few who speak on OSAS who might go too far and not take a proper view of responsibility. Without responsibility, OSAS is not grace, but license.

Well, responsibility for what? Sin or Salvation?

Not that I am asking you, but rather posing a rhetorical question to think about in relation to ones sin and salvation, and what the bible says.

What I would say is this, we are solely responsible for our sin. The bible is clear on that. We are all guilty and condemned for our sin. So, if we can agree with the bible that we are responsible for that, how is it we can even think we are one bit responsible for our own salvation?....hold that thought.

Grace, mercy and forgiveness are anchored in the same definition to imply the will of the one who offers these things, regardless of the of will of the one who receives these things.

For example, if I am a judge in a court of law, and I have the power to convict someone or set them free, and I decide to set someone free, I can not say I did so with grace, mercy or forgiveness of their crime "IF" I am requiring anything from them. Because If I require something from them, either before or after my act of grace, mercy, or forgiveness, then I am NOT offering grace, mercy or forgiveness, but instead a "quid pro quo"; which is not grace mercy or forgiveness, but something for something.

Do you see the difference? I can't say I'm giving you something for free if I'm making you pay for it. In that case it's not free. I can't say I forgive you if I require you to first ask for it before hand. I can't say I'm offering you grace by my mercy towards you, if I'm prepared to take it away on a condition that I require you to make or keep; Because If I do, then I'm not offering grace, mercy or forgiveness if I require you to pay for any of it up-front for what is essentially free by definition.

I realize people have a hard time understanding, or accepting, OSAS, God choosing whom he will save and so forth. As you/we mentioned the definitions of "Grace" seem to be a huge stumbling point. But, because of GRACE; The good news is that no one has to understand it, or accept it. It's not required to be saved.

But, if we're going to speak against OSAS, or even say that some who propose OSAS might take it too far leaving out "responsibility", then we should do so in a proper way that makes sense. Let's not say God is a God of Grace, Mercy, and Forgiveness and at the same time preach that God makes a specific requirement FOR salvation, because that's not Grace, Mercy, or Forgiveness. That would be a conditional deal, or a contract governed by specific requirement of the individual entering into the agreement; which is what the OP proposes is a gospel of Grace, Mercy, Love and forgiveness, whereby a person may or may not be saved depending on what a person does in relation to their own responsibility for their own sin AND salvation.

Me personally, I take full responsibility for my sin. I understand my sin. I understand my need for salvation. What I can not take responsibility for is my salvation. I am in no way responsible for it. After what God has shown me, I would not save me. I deserve death and I can fully accept it as just and fair. However, my salvation is something God has made Himself responsible for. Why? He says because He loves me. He says because He offers me grace, and Mercy. He took my punishment and represents me as clean and righteous. That's Love. That's Mercy. That's Forgiveness. I don't have a choice but to serve Him, because outside of that I already know I deserve death. I'm not the one taking OSAS "too" far. God is.

I'm sure people will have more to discuss on this, but I'm pretty much done for now on this subject.

Danus,

We are responsible for our sin, but not for our salvation???
The Scriptures argue against you.
Paul warned the Romans to choose to be slaves of sin, or slaves of God, etc.
He warned them that being slaves of sin results in eternal death.

What part of this do you not understand?

Problem is … you think God’s grace is a one-and-done deal.

God’s grace is that you have any chance at all to get into heaven.
But, one may and can fall from grace.
A gift may be ignored, rejected, thrown in the trash, etc.

You think God’s gift of grace is forced upon man!
People who are set free can turn around and get in bondage again.

Meanwhile, I guess the new covenant is not a covenant at all …
it’s all one-sided with no responsibilty required for one of the parties!

And also meanwhile,
you might like to explain why the many dozens of warnings to the churches.

I could go on and on! … But, all of this is so ridiculous!

Good point Danus.

It's sad that some people refuse what God offers us for free.

Many people can not accept a free gift.

They insist on paying for it somehow, some way.

People cannot just accept a free gift, period.

I think we can call that pride, and pride is a stumbling block that separates us from God.

I think we can call that pride, and pride is a stumbling block that separates us from God.
I WAS like everyone else ... very happy and content to accept God's free gift of grace-faith!
Why wouldn't I be?

But, then I started really reading all of the many dozens of warnings to the churches.
And some of them warn of losing eternal life!

Does anyone care? No.
Reason: I'd say they're brainwashed!

Am I repeating myself? ...
If the church has been so disastrously wrong about cessationism,
it can be wrong about anything!

Salvation is needed because of sin.

Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned. Romans 5:12

The responsibility for each person's salvation as well as each person's sin ultimately lies with each person.

Each person must choose to repent.

Each person must choose to believe.

Each person must choose to not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. Romans 6:12

Each person must choose to not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin. Romans 6:13

Each person must choose to present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. Romans 6:13

Each person must choose for themselves... to be a slave of sin or a slave of righteousness.

People makes choices based on what they are taught.

For example, if I am a judge in a court of law, and I have the power to convict someone or set them free, and I decide to set someone free, I can not say I did so with grace, mercy or forgiveness of their crime "IF" I am requiring anything from them. Because If I require something from them, either before or after my act of grace, mercy, or forgiveness, then I am NOT offering grace, mercy or forgiveness, but instead a "quid pro quo"; which is not grace mercy or forgiveness, but something for something.

The requirement is: Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you." John 5:15

Do you see the difference? I can't say I'm giving you something for free if I'm making you pay for it. In that case it's not free. I can't say I forgive you if I require you to first ask for it before hand. I can't say I'm offering you grace by my mercy towards you, if I'm prepared to take it away on a condition that I require you to make or keep; Because If I do, then I'm not offering grace, mercy or forgiveness if I require you to pay for any of it up-front for what is essentially free by definition.

Nobody is saying you have to pay for your Salvation.

Only that you continue in the faith, and not be turned away from the hope of the Gospel. There is much Grace for each of us to grow in the grace and knowledge of Him.

However, if a person is taught that there is no responsibility for them, and that there is nothing for them to do to walk out there salvation with fear and trembling, so that they will grow up into to Him and become fruitful in every good work, then why should anyone put forth any effort to keep themselves unspotted from the world, or to become the righteousness of God, or to be conformed to the image of God's Son.

I would say the greatest enemy of God's people, as well as the true message of The gospel of the kingdom, is not the Devil, but false teachings such as OSAS, that creates a mindset to undermine the growth and potential of God's people to fulfill their God given purpose.

JLB

I WAS like everyone else ... very happy and content to accept God's free gift of grace-faith!
Why wouldn't I be?

But, then I started really reading all of the many dozens of warnings to the churches.
And some of them warn of losing eternal life!

Does anyone care? No.
Reason: I'd say they're brainwashed!

Am I repeating myself? ...
If the church has been so disastrously wrong about cessationism,
it can be wrong about anything!

Yes, and it could also be wrong that there is any salvation at all.
Maybe it's all a big hoax.
Maybe this, maybe that, it does nothing to edify each other.
Maybe you are just seeing too much into something that's not there.

I would say the greatest enemy of God's people, as well as the true message of The gospel of the kingdom, is not the Devil, but false teachings such as OSAS, that creates a mindset to undermine the growth and potential of God's people to fulfill their God given purpose.

JLB

Some statement! :chin

JLB

What you are saying to me here JLB, is that I, who teach and preach OSAS, am the greatest enemy of God's people.
Now that's a first.
No one ever said that to me before.

I am the greatest enemy of God's people.

Don't get too close to me JLB, I might be contagious.

JLB

What you are saying to me here JLB, is that I, who teach and preach OSAS, am the greatest enemy of God's people.
Now that's a first.
No one ever said that to me before.

Don't get too close to me JLB, I might be contagious.
[MENTION=92945]allenwynne[/MENTION]:

Friendly advice: ignore?

Blessings.

Farouk is right, ignor. :)

Keep in mind that anger and hate is a party we are always invited to. We can avoid it by simply not accepting the invitations. Speak the truth in "Grace", pray for Gods guidance, and walk away.

Farouk is right, ignor. :)

Keep in mind that anger and hate is a party we are always invited to. We can avoid it by simply not accepting the invitations. Speak the truth in "Grace", pray for Gods guidance, and walk away.

Thank you Danus, Farouk.
I'll walk away.

I am saying exactly what I stated -

That false teachings like OSAS are the enemy... not you!

EDITED

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back