Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

FirstResurrection

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
It is speaking OF the same city.
But that city doesnt come down out of heaven till the 1000 years after the beast and false prophet have been casat into the lake of fire.Abnd we know the beast is in Jerusalem today.

Let me guess.You think the resurrection is already past?
Please explain why the writer uses the past tense.

But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, 24And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, 24And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

The writer is making it clear to the hebrews there is another Jerusalem besides the one they already knew.That they have come unto Jesus the mediator of the new covenant.
Hebrews 12;24
And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant,and to the blood of sprinkling,that speaketh better things tan that of Abel.

Your not going to claim they ascended into the heavens and met Jesus are you?Past tense.

The writer is making it clear to the hebrews there is another Jerusalem besides the one they already knew.That they have come unto Jesus the mediator of the new covenant.
Hebrews 12;24
And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant,and to the blood of sprinkling,that speaketh better things tan that of Abel.

Your not going to claim they ascended into the heavens and met Jesus are you?Past tense.
Why didnt you mention the city?

Is there something in this passage you dont care for ?

You dont really think a giant city is going to float our of the sky ,do you?

He did put it there as author of the word of God, and the Revelator to John at Patmos.

What are you? A red-letter only person?
I suggest you perouse the OP before you put your foot in your mouth again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why dont you believe what Jesus said ?

For a christian what Jesus said is supposed to be important. You flatly contradict him , there is no christian doctrine that can supported that way.

Everything Jesus says is true. I happen to believe the entire volume of the Book.

He wants you to connect the dots. Why don't you do that?

Put down the milk...'meat-eaters' get it.

Everything Jesus says is true. I happen to believe the entire volume of the Book.
LOL You already claimed the quote from Jesus didnt match the rest of scripture , make up your mind
He wants you to connect the dots. Why don't you do that?

Put down the milk...'meat-eaters' get it.
LOL Wow I've never heard the 'real christians' agree with me bit before.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Alabaster
He did put it there as author of the word of God, and the Revelator to John at Patmos.

I suggest you perouse the OP before you put your foot in your mouth again.

Well ?

LOL You already claimde the quote from Jesus didnt match the rest of scripture , make up your mind LOL I've never heard the 'real christians' agree with me bit before.

Jesus is the Word of God.

He teaches of the physical Kingdom based in Jerusalem, from the OT to the NT.

Well, looks like you have fallen prey to a runaway poor doctrine.

Jesus is the Word of God.

He teaches of the physical Kingdom based in Jerusalem, from the OT to the NT.
so you keep saying and I keep asking for scriptures. From jesus or the apostles teaching a temporal kingdom , but it seems you havent located one yet.
Well, looks like you have fallen prey to a runaway poor doctrine.
Actually you whined

And I referred you to the OP in which all quotes are apostolic.

None of which you have countered by the way. Too meaty for you.

Tell me is the kingdom Jesus does speak of here the one prophecied in the OT?

And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel. No, it is talking about the Kingdom of God we as believers are citizens of, that He offers us.

So exactly how many different kingdoms are there ? How many were prophecied ? Why did Jesus say their time is fulfilled if he was not referencing a propehcy?

Rev 20:4-6
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
(KJV)

The purpose here is to show cause why the 'First Resurrection' is the regeneration (born-again) of the believer and not a Resurrection of the body.

The believer today meets all the requirements of the definition.

He is 'blessed and made holy '(II cor 5;21) because he is a partner in the Resurrection of Christ.This is how we become joint -heirs. Any one denying the Resurrrection of Christ is antichrist as unless He was raised bodily from the dead our faith is nothing.

Pete refers to the Church as;

1 Pet 2:5
5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
(KJV)

John of course concurrs; (note the tense)

Rev 1:6
6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
(KJV)

This 'priesthood' is entirely populated by those who 'overcome'. As Paul writes;

Rom 8:36-37
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
(KJV)

Conquerors and overcomers are translated from the same original word. Every christian is expected to be faithful even unto death, so being 'more than conquerors' is the status of all believers in Christ, whether events demonstrated this in life (martyerdom) or not. Every believer is passed from death unto life. And is securely covered under the Blood of Christ. This renders him free from the power of the 'second death' and allows him to' reign in life by one, Jesus Christ'.

Thus each requirement as liniated in v6 is already accomplished in the believer.

It is as important as it is common to refer to the born-again believer as being 'raised up,,formerly dead...

Eph 2:5-6
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
(KJV)
Eph 2:1
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
(KJV)

I Jn 3:14
14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
(KJV)

The pattern here follows;
Num 19:11-12

11 He that toucheth the dead body of any man shall be unclean seven days.
12 He shall purify himself with it on the third day, and on the seventh day he shall be clean: but if he purify not himself the third day, then the seventh day he shall not be clean.
(KJV)

With our 'patnership' in the 'First Resurrection', which came on the Third day. we gain newness of life through the righteousness of Christ imputed judically. This is common to all believers and without it we cannot be seen as 'clean' on the seventh day (last day).

All must participate in the 'third day cleansing' or 'First Resurrection' . Every believer must have a part here. But not every believer will be raised bodily. By the same token every believer must be raised spiritually.

Of course Christ offered up His body as a Sacrfice and neeeded not be raised in the spiritual sense, as we do. So His Resurrection does not require the second step. Thus for the believer, the First Resurrection is first in order and importance.

Take care

Hitch
Here it is waiting for a learned line by line destruction , go ahead I'll be quivering in the corner.

It's a great spiritual application, a parallel theme, but it isn't what the prophecy teaches in actuality. There will be a period of reigning for Jesus that starts immediately after He returns to earth with His Bride.

It's a great spiritual application, a parallel theme, but it isn't what the prophecy teaches in actuality. There will be a period of reigning for Jesus that starts immediately after He returns to earth with His Bride.
Wow look at all those scriptures LOL meaty very meaty.

Originally Posted by watchman F
We have Hitch an amillennialst, and Alabaster a pretribber aruging/debating each other about the first resurrection. That is like a Jehovah Witness, and a Mormon arguing over what Christ's death on the cross accomplished. Its ridiculous when you think about it.
What's ridiculous is that someone considers it ridiculous for a person who knows the truth of scripture to uphold it in the face of those who persist in error.

I like it fine. It's our job as believers to hold fast to the truth.
What is ridiculous is that the two of you are arguing back and forth, and neither one of you have a clue.

However you are correct in the fact that the first resurrection is the resurrection of the just, but the resurrection of the just occurs at the return of Christ not 7yrs prior as you state. Revelation 20 proves this as it includes those martyred during the Tribulation. This CANNOT be a pretrib event.

What is ridiculous is that the two of you are arguing back and forth, and neither one of you have a clue.

However you are correct in the fact that the first resurrection is the resurrection of the just, but the resurrection of the just occurs at the return of Christ not 7yrs prior as you state. Revelation 20 proves this as it includes those martyred during the Tribulation. This CANNOT be a pretrib event.
Since I havent a clue it should be child's play for you to dismantle my OP line by line with overwheming scriptural evidences.
Back up your posturing with some substance.

Sorry for the length but ol' Mat says it much better than I;
Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

19Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
20For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.
21For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.
22For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
23That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
24Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. 25Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Spiritual regeneration is described in the NT as coming back from the dead from Paul's letters to the Gospels;

12Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
32It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

Henry:

First, A resurrection that now is (v. 29), a resurrection from the death of sin to the life of righteousness, by the power of Christ's grace. The hour is coming, and now is. It is a resurrection begun already, and further to be carried on, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God. This is plainly distinguished from that in v. 28, which speaks of the resurrection at the end of time. This says nothing, as that does, of the dead in their graces, and of all of them, and their coming forth. Now, 1. Some think this was fulfilled in those whom he miraculously raised to life, Jairus's daughter, the widow's son, and Lazarus; and it is observable that all whom Christ raised were spoken to, as, Damsel, arise; Young man, arise; Lazarus, come forth; whereas those raised under the Old Testament were raised, not by a word, but other applications, 1 Kings xvii. 21; 2 Kings iv. 34; xiii. 21. Some understand it of those saints that rose with Christ; but we do not read of the voice of the Son of God calling them. But, 2. I rather understand it of the power of the doctrine of Christ, for the recovering and quickening of those that were dead in trespasses and sins, Eph. ii. 1. The hour was coming when dead souls should be made alive by the preaching of the gospel, and a spirit of life from God accompanying it: nay, it then was, while Christ was upon earth. It may refer especially to the calling of the Gentiles, which is said to be as life from the dead, and, some think, was prefigured by Ezekiel's vision (ch. xxxvii. 1), and foretold, Isa. xxvi. 19. Thy dead men shall live. But it is to be applied to all the wonderful success of the gospel, among both Jews and Gentiles; an hour which still is, and is still coming, till all the elect be effectually called. Note, (1.) Sinners are spiritually dead, destitute of spiritual life, sense, strength, and motion, dead to God, miserable, but neither sensible of their misery nor able to help themselves out of it. (2.) The conversion of a soul to God is its resurrection from death to life; then it begins to live when it begins to live to God, to breathe after him, and move towards him. (3.) It is by the voice of the Son of God that souls are raised to spiritual life; it is wrought by his power, and that power conveyed and communicated by his word: The dead shall hear, shall be made to hear, to understand, receive, and believe, the voice of the Son of God, to hear it as his voice; then the Spirit by it gives life, otherwise the letter kills. (4.) The voice of Christ must be heard by us, that we may live by it. They that hear, and attend to what they hear, shall live. Hear and your soul shall live, Isa. lv. 3.

Jesus tact was to get right in the face of the persecutors; First he proves who he is by the healing. Follows that by claiming equality with God and tops it all off by further claiming to own ultimate judgement, having the power of eternal life and death. I doubt that is what they expected him to say heh heh.
In the same conversation Jesus goes on to claim;
27And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

28Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation
Henry;
Secondly, A resurrection yet to come; this is spoken of, v. 28, 29, introduced with, "Marvel not at this, which I have said of the first resurrection, do not reject it as incredible and absurd, for at the end of time you shall all see a more sensible and amazing proof of the power and authority of the Son of man." As his own resurrection was reserved to be the final and concluding proof of his personal commission, so the resurrection of all men is reserved to be a like proof of his commission to be executed by his spirit. Now observe here,
a. When this resurrection shall be: The hour is coming; it is fixed to an hour, so very punctual is this great appointment. The judgment is not adjourned sine die--to some time not yet pitched upon; no, he hath appointed a day. The hour is coming. (a.) It is not yet come, it is not the hour spoken of at v. 25, that is coming, and now is. Those erred dangerously who said that the resurrection was past already, 2 Tim. ii. 18, But, (b.) It will certainly come, it is coming on,

This portion had to be cut to fit and will be posted in full next;

Henry on John 5

Secondly, A resurrection yet to come; this is spoken of, v. 28, 29, introduced with, "Marvel not at this, which I have said of the first resurrection, do not reject it as incredible and absurd, for at the end of time you shall all see a more sensible and amazing proof of the power and authority of the Son of man." As his own resurrection was reserved to be the final and concluding proof of his personal commission, so the resurrection of all men is reserved to be a like proof of his commission to be executed by his spirit. Now observe here,
a. When this resurrection shall be: The hour is coming; it is fixed to an hour, so very punctual is this great appointment. The judgment is not adjourned sine die--to some time not yet pitched upon; no, he hath appointed a day. The hour is coming. (a.) It is not yet come, it is not the hour spoken of at v. 25, that is coming, and now is. Those erred dangerously who said that the resurrection was past already, 2 Tim. ii. 18, But, (b.) It will certainly come, it is coming on, nearer every day than other; it is at the door. How far off it is we know not; but we know that it is infallibly designed and unalterably determined.
b. Who shall be raised: All that are in the graves, all that have died from the beginning of time, and all that shall die to the end of time. It was said (Dan. xii. 2), Many shall arise; Christ here tells us that those many shall be all; all must appear before the Judge, and therefore all must be raised; every person, and the whole of every person; every soul shall return to its body, and every bone to its bone. The grave is the prison of dead bodies, where they are detained; their furnace, where they are consumed (Job xxiv. 19); yet, in prospect of their resurrection, we may call it their bed, where they sleep to be awaked again; their treasury, where they are laid up to be used again. Even those that are not put into graves shall arise; but, because most are put into graves, Christ uses this expression, all that are in the graves. The Jews used the word sheol for the grave, which signifies the state of the dead; all that are in that state shall hear.
c. How they shall be raised. Two things are here told us:-- (a.) The efficient of this resurrection: They shall hear his voice; that is, he shall cause them to hear it, as Lazarus was made to hear that word, Come forth; a divine power shall go along with the voice, to put life into them, and enable them to obey it. When Christ rose, there was no voice heard, not a word spoken, because he rose by his own power; but at the resurrection of the children of men we find three voices spoken of, 1 Thess. iv. 16. The Lord shall descend with a shout, the shout of a king, with the voice of the archangel; either Christ himself, the prince of the angels, or the commander-in-chief, under him, of the heavenly hosts; and with the trumpet of God: the soldier's trumpet sounding the alarm of war, the judge's trumpet publishing the summons to the court. (b.) The effect of it: They shall come forth out of their graves, as prisoners out of their prison-house; they shall arise out of the dust, and shake themselves from it; see Isa. lii. 1, 2, 11. But this is not all; they shall appear before Christ's tribunal, shall come forth as those that are to be tried, come forth to the bar, publicly to receive their doom.
d. To what they shall be raised; to a different state of happiness or misery, according to their different character; to a state of retribution, according to what they did in the state of probation.
(a.) They that have done good shall come forth to the resurrection of life; they shall live again, to live for ever. Note, [a.] Whatever name men are called by, or whatever plausible profession they make, it will be well in the great day with those only that have done good, have done that which is pleasing to God and profitable to others. [b.] The resurrection of the body will be a resurrection of life to all those, and those only, that have been sincere and constant in doing good. They shall not only be publicly acquitted, as a pardoned criminal, we say, has his life, but they shall be admitted into the presence of God, and that is life, it is better than life; they shall be attended with comforts in perfection. To live is to be happy, and they shall be advanced above the fear of death; that is life indeed in which mortality is for ever swallowed up.
(b.) They that have done evil to the resurrection of damnation; they shall live again, to be for ever dying. The Pharisees thought that the resurrection pertained only to the just, but Christ here rectifies that mistake. Note, [a.] Evil doers, whatever they pretend, will be treated in the day of judgment as evil men. [b.] The resurrection will be to evil doers, who did not by repentance undo what they had done amiss, a resurrection of damnation. They shall come forth to be publicly convicted of rebellion against God, and publicly condemned to everlasting punishment; to be sentenced to it, and immediately sent to it without reprieve. Such will the resurrection be.

4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

I dont even understand what you trying to say really.
I do know the beast hasnt been destroyed.He hasnt even killed these who shall reign.They dont die untill after the abomination of desolation is placed so why are you quoting this ?

I dont even understand what you trying to say really.
I do know the beast hasnt been destroyed.He hasnt even killed these who shall reign.They dont die untill after the abomination of desolation is placed so why are you quoting this ?
Because;
Revelation 1

1The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
2Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. 3Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Because;
Revelation 1

1The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
2Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. 3Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

I understand who it is that is to understand the things written in this book .
And they have not died yet.But what is it that you are trying to say?
Like I said.I know for a fact that the beast hasnt been destroyed yet.
The Romans almost destroyed it when it was .And when John penned the things he saw the beast was not.And yet it is once more.And you know that is written of the beast that it had recieved a deadly wound.
But now that the beast is once more and it shall kill the saints.I understand who those saints are that are going to be killed because there is much written of them.But what is it thart you are trying to say about them?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back