Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Gender of the Holy Spirit : female personality

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I lean towards the whole trinity being male, masculine in nature. God is definitely way above our comprehension, so I imagine some of His attributes might seem more feminine, or at least on the softer end of things, to us here on earth, but...still. God The Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Spirit. All male. All the time.

I think this is a tough one, because women are slightly over 50% of the population, and they matter just as much as men, just...in a different way (?), with different roles to fill. My own observation is that this aspect of Christianity was difficult for the pagans (many of those cultures were male-dominated, but they had numerous female deities) and now its difficult for (post)modern, more egalitarian people to comprehend, too. I don't pretend to get it myself.

I do see the appeal of a feminine Holy Spirit, like in that book...The Shack. I just don't think it fits with Scripture or tradition, and I find it hard to believe that God would permit most Christian groups to be dead wrong on something this fundamental for so long.

So the question does arise as to whether Jesus might have spoken of the Holy Spirit in feminine terms...
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:.. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: (John 15:26; 6:7,8)

Feminine gender deities were practiced in Babylon. . they've/she's had many names over the years..

This is true.

The Most didn't want to confuse the children of Israel, as they were already having a problem with Idolatry.

But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:.. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: (John 15:26; 6:7,8)

If you are trying to build a case from the masculine pronoun, then your already sunk.

Strong's G1565 - ekeinos - he, she it, etc.

We have to examine the whole of scripture.

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Genesis 1:26-27

Can you answer this simple question from Genesis 1:26-27?

Was Eve created in the image and likeness of God?

JLB

If you are trying to build a case from the masculine pronoun, then your already sunk.

Strong's G1565 - ekeinos - he, she it, etc.

We have to examine the whole of scripture.

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Can you answer this simple question from Genesis 1:26-27?

Was Eve created in the image and likeness of God?

JLB
She was, of course, but if you're trying to use that to support a feminine Holy Spirit, then you're making a connection that the Bible doesn't make.

This whole discussion misses the fact that God mat likely has no gender. He has chosen to use masculine terms in relating to us, but that doesn't mean he is literally male. The exception being that the Son is now most definitely male as the God-man. The idea that the Hoy Spirit is or might be female is conjecture and mere sensationalism, at best. I'm sure some out there use it in an attempt to undermine Scripture (not saying that that is what is going on here).

She was, of course, but if you're trying to use that to support a feminine Holy Spirit, then you're making a connection that the Bible doesn't make.

If a female was made in the Image and likeness of God, then someone amongst the Godhead, the Elohim, the Trinity is Female.

The Father is clearly a masculine gender.
The Son is clearly a masculine gender.
The Holy Spirit is the only choice left, whereby the Female could have been created in the image of Elohim.

This whole discussion misses the fact that God mat likely has no gender. He has chosen to use masculine terms in relating to us, but that doesn't mean he is literally male. The exception being that the Son is now most definitely male as the God-man. The idea that the Hoy Spirit is or might be female is conjecture and mere sensationalism, at best. I'm sure some out there use it in an attempt to undermine Scripture (not saying that that is what is going on here).

Sorry, but unless you use some scripture, then all you have is your opinion.

JLB

How would the Holy Spirit being female in nature,
undermine scripture?

Wondering

JBL you write well, and as Chopper says your views will be respected

No one has commented on the aspect of love expressed in different personalities.... I am very clear that the Godhead is not gender, nor like man, indeed God is beyond time matter and space... as JBL says we attribute aspects of human thoughts to God in order for us to understand the ways love works in action..... and one strong evidence that GOD has two different aspects of love, hence different personalities within the Godhead, is for the following reasons:

1) There are TWO love words in Scripture, both related to relational beings
2) Ahab is maleness love (not strictly expressed by males but mostly so)
and Ahabuh is femaleness love (not strictly expressed by females but mostly so)
3) there are several Bible verses where both "heavenly parents" work together in unity

I would say the Holy Spirit expresses ahabuh love, while the Father expresses Ahab love
in English this means
The Holy Spirit show femaleness love while the Father shows maleness love...
(This is not a reference to gender, sex or physical makeup)

And in the OT the Hebrew word for the Holy Spirit is always in the feminine case.... only when translated into the NT the Greek word pneuma changed the use of pronouns used to describe the Holy Spirit.

Please consider that there are two very different ways to show love, mentioned in Scripture.
Shalom

H JLB,
Yes, you bring out a point most have probably never noticed.

You post:
“Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:26-27

It is accepted theology that God was speaking to the Godhead when He said the above words.
THEN He went ahead and created man and woman. In HIS image. He even said, "it is not good for man to be alone" Genesis 2:18
And then God made man a HELPER.
The Holy Spirit is a helper.

Something to be considered...
An interesting discussion based on old writings - I see no problem with this.

Wondering

Very interesting wondering. I hadn't connected the two, Eve, and the Holy Spirit. Having said that, I'm not implying that the Holy Spirit, in any way, is feminine.

since when did spirits have a sex?

Let's look at some other scripture that speaks of these things.

In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 1 John 4:9

Do you believe the Son of God created all things, was with God, and was/is God, and that He became flesh?

Scripture references:

• In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. John 1:1-3

• But to the Son He says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions.” And: “You, Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of Your hands. Hebrews 1:8-10

• And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh... 1 Timothy 3:16

JLB

JLB,
Could you explain what you understand the word "begotten" to mean?
I understand it to mean "unique", unlike anyone that ever lived.

Wondering

JLB,
Could you explain what you understand the word "begotten" to mean?
I understand it to mean "unique", unlike anyone that ever lived.

Wondering

I will.

However, first I would like wwjd_kilden to answer my question, so I can discuss with him, from the scriptures some key verse's that speak to us about this subject.

here it is again -

Do you believe the Son of God created all things, was with God, and was/is God, and that He became flesh?

JLB

How would the Holy Spirit being female in nature,
undermine scripture?

Wondering
God the Son,God the Father, God the Holt Spirit.

Co equal.they all have the same nature if. One is female they all must be.

Edited to avoid missunderstanding

Last edited:
God the Son,God the Father, God the Holt Spirit.

Co equal.they all have the same nature. One is female they all must be.

Could you explain why you believe this.

If we all have the nature of Adam, are we all male?

Are we created in the image and likeness of God?

JLB

Could you explain why you believe this.

If we all have the nature of Adam, are we all male?

Are we created in the image and likeness of God?

JLB
I said if one is female they all have it.

Uhm so my wife is made in the image of God and doesn't have the Adamic nature.

Male and female he made them, created them in the image of God.

JLB: What does your question have to do with anything? God is a spirit. A being.
He (I only say he because it sounds too weird) is not a human, nor an animal.
To me God is not a he or she. Neither is the holy spirit.
Sure, Jesus was a man, but it would just be weird if he was both at the same time.. so He had to choose one.

What does your question have to do with anything?

If my question doesn't have to do with anything, then why don't you answer?

Let's look at some other scripture that speaks of these things.

In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 1 John 4:9

It's a simple question.

Can you answer it with a yes or no?

JLB

I will not answer it because it is irrelevant to this thread.
Create one about Jesus / The word / The trinity and I will answer. I don't purposely derail threads

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back