Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Gender of the Holy Spirit : female personality

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I find interesting how you refer to the Trinity as a person.
We refer to the "three persons" of the Trinity. We use the English word "person" because English does not have a term for the word "hypostasis" which is the term used by the early church at Nicaea and the following councils to refer to the three "individuals." It is a term borrowed from Greek philosophy and is the word "ousia" which we translate "substance" or "nature". (Three "persons" of one "nature")
Ancient Greek philosophy provided the technical language which enabled the ancient church to deal with the challenges of defining trinitarian Christianity and defending it from the attempts to insert Neo-Platonist teaching into Christian doctrine. The church was happy to use the technical language but not the imaginations of the philosophers.
The Trinity is the creator will require some thought. Just to understand it better.
Gen 1:1 In the beginning God (elohiym) created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering ("brooding" like a hen over its eggs) over the face of the waters.
Jhn 1:3 All things were made through Him (the Word, Logos), and without Him nothing was made that was made.
So all three participated in creation. (a team effort?)

Gentlemen an interesting read, yes I agree God explains existence in terms humans understand...so show me a Bible verse that says the Father or the Son are gender male as similes of humans, the Hebrew word for this would have to be

Ge 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male "zakar" or a Greek word for NT verses...sorry there are none...

My Bible says in human terms God is a simile of light

1Jo 1:5 ¶ ...that God is light,...

Light is a universal concept, energy yet also particle, dual natures and everywhere yet powerful, without form or shape, yet we are told God has a shape, so obviously light has edges if it is defined differently.... beyond our understanding as Jim says....yes....

As for dimensions, time doesn't exist, so the forward movement of matter relative to space creates time, as does length breath and height, are relative movements of distance relative to God who is more as a spherical zone of influence, makes that we have only two dimensions, space and matter, all other laws are derivative of that, God is above all physical laws.... that blows my mind too...we see things darkly....

Shalom

Greetings Jim
There is no such verse.
Of course you know that.
And God is not a man. If you don't know that you should.

Yes Jim there is no verse, but we are made in the image of God....whatever that perception means...

The New Testament translations refer to the Holy Spirit using a masculine pronoun. The noun "spirit" is neuter in the Greek.
Jhn 14:26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

But still, a feminine nature of the Holy Spirit does seem to be a reasonable perspective.

Have you considered the translation into Greek might have made the pronoun "he" rather than the Hebrew which was written first, would be "she", as shown in the early Syriac writings? But even if the Holy Spirit is referenced as masculine, I have no problem with that is because when in the presence of a group, feminine and masculine, the masculine is always written in the primary...that's a Hebrew rule....

Here is a quote by Jeff Benner, a Hebrew scholar from the USA
Q: How did the Hebrews view God's Gender and why?

A: In English we use masculine (he), feminine (she) and neuter (it). But, in Hebrew all things are either masculine or feminine, there is no neuter. So, we may say "it is a tree" in Hebrew it would be "hu ets" (he is a tree). All things in Hebrew are either masculine or feminine. God is neither male nor female but he is both. This may sound contradictory but the Hebrew mind often seems contradictory from our perspective of western thought.
In Genesis it states that God created both male and female in his image, I do not believe this is speaking in physical terms but in character. The male received half of God's character while the female received the other half, hence marriage is the bringing of the two together to make a whole. Since God has the character or quality of both male and female it is grammatically mandated that it be identified in the masculine form for the following reason.
The Hebrew word for boy is yeled, the Hebrew word for boys is yelediym. The Hebrew word for girl is yal'dah and the Hebrew word for girls is yeledot. But if the group of children is boys and girls you always use the masculine form yelediym. The masculine form always takes over if the group is of both masculine and feminine.
Source Link

Shalom

Have you considered the translation into Greek might
I have considered whether this is a useless exercise and concluded that it is both as useless and fruitless as your "Bible Science" nonsense.
I have no interest in arguing endlessly about essentially nothing.
Rom 14:1 Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things.
Have a nice day. :)

Last edited:
In Genesis it states that God created both male and female in his image, I do not believe this is speaking in physical terms but in character.

Our course this idea is invalid by the very words in Genesis which says: Be fruitful and multiply...

JLB

Greetings JLB,

Our course this idea is invalid by the very words in Genesis which says: Be fruitful and multiply...

I agree with your view JLB
The quotation is a view by Jeff Benner, a scholar of mine, I don't agree with everything He believes in

Shalom

Reactions: JLB
I can really only go by what my bible is saying. It says "He" when describing the Holy Spirit. Honestly, I feel those attributes from "him" are what are guiding me into holiness.

1 John 2:3-6 We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Greetings Jim
There is no such verse.
Of course you know that.
And God is not a man. If you don't know that you should.

Yes Jim there is no verse, but we are made in the image of God....whatever that perception means...

Shalom

How could you not know what the above highlighted means?
It means we are made in the image of God in the sense that He has bestowed upon us a small measure of His attributes.

For instance, we have love, we know about justice, we are social, we build and make things and "create" art.
These are all attributes that God has in an infinite quantity. With God everything is infinite. But we also have a tiny amount of these attributes. I don't see how this could mean anything else...

Wondering

Okay, think I found scripture to prove the Holy Spirit is "he".

1 Timothy 2:12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man

John 14:26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 14:26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
One is heavenly and the other is earthly.
Different ideas.

W

God the Father is seated upon His thrown in heaven, with Jesus Christ seated at His right hand.

The Holy Spirit was given to us to teach us and lead and guide us into all truth, and to comfort us.

as it is written - a child left to himself brings shame to his mother. Proverbs 29:15

Does not wisdom cry out,
And understanding lift up her voice?
She takes her stand on the top of the high hill,
Beside the way, where the paths meet.
She cries out by the gates, at the entry of the city,
At the entrance of the doors:
“To you, O men, I call,
And my voice is to the sons of men.
O you simple ones, understand prudence,
And you fools, be of an understanding heart.
Listen, for I will speak of excellent things,
And from the opening of my lips will come right things;
For my mouth will speak truth;
Wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
All the words of my mouth are with righteousness;
Nothing crooked or perverse is in them.
They are all plain to him who understands,
And right to those who find knowledge.
Receive my instruction, and not silver,
And knowledge rather than choice gold;
For wisdom is better than rubies,
And all the things one may desire cannot be compared with her.
Proverbs 8:1-11

As God, the Holy Spirit has authority over all men.

JLB

God the Father is seated upon His thrown in heaven, with Jesus Christ seated at His right hand.

The Holy Spirit was given to us to teach us and lead and guide us into all truth, and to comfort us.

as it is written - a child left to himself brings shame to his mother. Proverbs 29:15

Does not wisdom cry out,
And understanding lift up her voice?
She takes her stand on the top of the high hill,
Beside the way, where the paths meet.
She cries out by the gates, at the entry of the city,
At the entrance of the doors:
“To you, O men, I call,
And my voice is to the sons of men.
O you simple ones, understand prudence,
And you fools, be of an understanding heart.
Listen, for I will speak of excellent things,
And from the opening of my lips will come right things;
For my mouth will speak truth;
Wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
All the words of my mouth are with righteousness;
Nothing crooked or perverse is in them.
They are all plain to him who understands,
And right to those who find knowledge.
Receive my instruction, and not silver,
And knowledge rather than choice gold;
For wisdom is better than rubies,
And all the things one may desire cannot be compared with her.
Proverbs 8:1-11

As God, the Holy Spirit has authority over all men.

JLB

What if, Wisdom "being female".........pointed to the Holy Spirit.

Eve wanted to gain wisdom for herself.
Genesis 3:6

I need to explain a little, cause this will sound like I don't want wisdom. I want Holy wisdom, to guide me. Like, when God said don't eat from the tree of good and evil. I want to listen to him.

Last edited:
Really good points everyone, and nice discussion... Reba wrote an interesting point "whole of Scripture is written patreartical"

And so in a group, the masculine always overrides the power flow, and hence why the Holy Spirit is addresses in masculine terms...but this this does not prove the Holy Spirit is a "he"...you have to consider the Hebrew nature of the Bible...after all the Scriptures were written I Hebrew... JLB has shown us the Holy Spirit expresses femaleness love... something to consider... to me the big deal is if makes Elohiym a heavenly family, with maleness love and femaleness love.... it makes our salvation more complete in terms of character...

when Jesus came on the earth He spent quality time with women as well as with men, something other rabbi would not do as much.... He was a wonderful example of complete love...

Shalom

What if, Wisdom "being female".........pointed to the Holy Spirit.

Yes.

Jesus said Wisdom is known by her children.

That which the male begets, is born of the female.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. John 3:6

Proverbs says, of Wisdom, nothing that can be desired, compares with her.

For wisdom is better than rubies, and all the things one may desire cannot be compared with her. Proverbs 8:11

One of my favorites:

Wisdom is the principal thing;
Therefore get wisdom.
And in all your getting, get understanding.
Exalt her, and she will promote you;
She will bring you honor, when you embrace her.
Proverbs 4:7-8

We know that wisdom, knowledge and understanding, are presented as female in the bible.

We also know that wisdom, knowledge and understanding are Spirit's of the Lord.

The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him,
The Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The Spirit of counsel and might,
The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord.
Isaiah 11:2

...all the things one may desire cannot be compared with her.

JLB

Back