Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Glen Beck - A Mormon Espousing Christian Theology???

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike

I'll say on the outset, this is a 9+ minute video clip, but I believe this is interesting and important to watch as Glenn Beck appears to be re-defining himself and emerging as a thought leader in faith. He is garnering more and more attention because of his bold messages of faith. There's a problem, though. As most of us know, Glenn Beck is a self proclaimed Mormon. Why then is he professing theology that flies in the face of Mormonism and very closely aligns with Christianity?

One of two things appears to be happening. Either:

1. He has found the Truth in the Christian understanding of salvation and who Jesus is.

OR

2. He is professing beliefs that he, as a Mormon, doesn't truly believe.

Todd Friel does a great job in this clip of calling Beck to the carpet. Beck must be honest in what he proclaims. Either he is a Mormon or a Christian. Millions of people are paying attention to him as he becomes more and more identified by his faith as opposed to his politics. We need to be aware of where he stands and what he's saying.
If he holds Mormon beliefs and is falsely making these claims of faith, there is the risk that he could have an end goal in attracting unsuspecting listeners to the Mormon faith. He's an enigma. I just don't know what to make of this re-invented Glenn Beck.

[video=youtube;UoiwZ3HoJMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoiwZ3HoJMM[/video]

I know that lots of folks are suspicious of Glen Beck concerning his religious views.

Although I do not watch his show on a regular basis, I have seen nothing (so far) of him attempting to promote the LDS church.

What I have seen is him promoting Jesus Christ, and not any particular religious denomination.
And I give him a big thumbs up on that!!!

I have to give this to the Mormons...they promote morality, resposnibility and right thinking, and this is what Glen Beck is doing.

I was particualrly grateful for their help with Prop 8 out here in California

Beck is not prostelitizing, he is speaking from the heart...and while he is hard to listen to all the time, he speaks truth about America and our heritage

Morality and right thinking are not the sole possession of Christianity

I have to give this to the Mormons...they promote morality, resposnibility and right thinking, and this is what Glen Beck is doing.

I was particualrly grateful for their help with Prop 8 out here in California

Beck is not prostelitizing, he is speaking from the heart...and while he is hard to listen to all the time, he speaks truth about America and our heritage

Morality and right thinking are not the sole possession of Christianity
Craig, I don't disagree with your assessment of their citizenship. They are very decent people and have terrific moral character. That's not the issue. I'm curious. Did you watch the video? I don't blame you if you didn't, because it is long. But if you watch it and hear what Beck is stating of his faith, you'll see, this isn't Mormon theology he's espousing. It's Christian theology... mainstream Christian doctrine. It's definitely not consistent with Mormonism.

I saw Beck on TV say that Jesus is God, which is not Mormon theology.

There are people in churches who do not believe in those churches doctrines,
but they are there to help others see the truth (as they see it).
Often, these people used to believe in those church doctrines,
but have received further "revelation".

i will adress that morality and right thinking comment later,but i will say this.

if a man doesnt have God in him, does that mean he saved?

the worse thing here is the cults are so close to what the bible says that they will send you to hell quicker.

the jw/mormon will agree to the christian morality as they see it the same ,but that doesnt mean we should call them blessed, but rather anethema!

Glen Beck promoting Mormon myths and legends - not historical - pseudo archaeology

This is a resonse to the Glen Beck Post of 12-29
I actually heard Glen Beck promote on TV (I believe in January 2011) the unscientific and non-historical and pseudo archaeological myths/legends of 2 beliefs:
1. The American Indians are descendant directly from Jews of the Pre- Babylonian Captivity period -- 600 BC
2. The earth mounds in Ohio are so-called evidence of ancient Pre-Jesus civilization in Ohio.

This indicates that Glen Beck is being bolder in his promoting Mormon beliefs using data that almost all historians and archaeologists know to be fraudulent. There is no basic in fact about the book of Mormons fanciful claims about the Nephites and other people groups. The Book of Mormon has been reputed to have been a "novel" written in 1820s or so and plagiarized by Joseph Smith.

Glen Beck seems to research his political history well but has fallen for myth and legends when it comes to dogmatic Mormon beliefs.

Be discerning when listening to him.

Jon

I saw Beck on TV say that Jesus is God, which is not Mormon theology.

There are people in churches who do not believe in those churches doctrines,
but they are there to help others see the truth (as they see it).
Often, these people used to believe in those church doctrines,
but have received further "revelation".
According to what I have read about Mormon "theology" (sic), they are polytheists, their "trinity" is three separate gods, Jesus is just one of their gods, there are, for Mormons, many, many gods on many many different planets of the cosmos. They also say Jesus and Lucifer are brothers, and that truly is anti-christian and wrong.
Adam is one of their gods, too.

Glenn hosted a show full of pastors and ministers last year (2010). At the end one of them made a comment that they would get him to become a Christian one of these days and he either said "alright" or "maybe".

I agree, he is more Christian than Mormon. He used to go to a Christian church (so I understand) perhaps he was saved then and retains those beliefs, I do know that him and his wife picked their church based not on theology, but on how good it would be for the family, maybe the LDS church had some children/family things that they picked it for?

Also,he lives in CT, I know from being punished by living here that everything in CT is more liberal (except for the AoG churches for some reason...!!!) maybe he goes to a very liberal (theology wise) LDS church, if that's thae case I imagine a liberal LDS is more like a Christian than a Mormon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are mormons and witnesses lumped together in the "cult" category, but catholics are not?

Why are mormons and witnesses lumped together in the "cult" category, but catholics are not?

That's a good question... Maybe because Mormons/JW are wrong to the point of not even making it to Heaven but Catholics are just kinda wrong but they are still ok? Dunno, just a thought, I got no clue about the RCC except that they baptize babies.

Side note, that guy in the video kind of looks like Ty from Extreme Home Makeover show on ABC, or am I just seeing things?

Idk, Pard. Catholics make Mary, the prophets, the apostles, popes, and church fathers mediators between them and God. That office belongs to Christ alone. Catholics have idols set up too. And I just dont see what separates them from mormons and witnesses in terms of "salvation doctrine". I think catholics are sanitized by virtue of numbers. No one established denomination is 100% right, but I really see too many disturbing heresies within catholocism. I am not even touching on the inquisition and the indulgences and such. They have a lot wrong.

I guess I stop short of calling the RCC a cult because of some of the hallmark signs of a cult. A few are that they have their own book that replaces or is in addition to scripture. Another is that there are tiered levels where certain doctrines are only revealed as one works up toward the inner-circle. One could argue that the RCC has it's own book because of the books not included in the Protestant Bible, but I'm not sure it's exclusive to the RCC. One other attribute of a cult is that the members are bound to disassociate themselves from members who leave.

These points can be applied to Mormonism and JW's, but I'm not sure they can be with the RCC. Mormons and JW's have stripped some of the most core tenets of our faith including the Divinity of Christ. That's why I would separate them and categorically call them cults.

Mike,

Doesn't the Bible tell us to excommunicate people who leave our ranks? I thought there was something about that in there. Just wondering because that is one of the points you have for being a cult...

Mike,

Doesn't the Bible tell us to excommunicate people who leave our ranks? I thought there was something about that in there. Just wondering because that is one of the points you have for being a cult...

Consider this. Suppose you had a brother who fell out of faith and left the Church. Would your pastor or any pastor you know forbid you to associate with him and demand that you sever all ties with him? Cults do. I wouldn't ever sever ties, because I'd want to make every effort to love him back to faith, and my pastor would support me.

Mike, like I thought, he is Mormon because of the people in the church, not the teachings

YouTube - Glenn Beck Mormon, on being Mormon

Can't play sound now, but I'll watch tomorrow. I don't understand what you said, but the video might make that clear.

Mike, like I thought, he is Mormon because of the people in the church, not the teachings

YouTube - Glenn Beck Mormon, on being Mormon

I read something else into what he said than I think you did. From your comment here, I'm thinking you understood him to say he doesn't believe Mormon theology when he said "I'm not a model Mormon." It seems he wasn't saying he disagrees with their theology. He was saying he was not inclined to admit he was Mormon because he felt he didn't represent them very well with his behavior, so (not being a model Mormon) he didn't want to be a bad example of Mormonism to the world.

If you watched the video in the OP, you'll see him espouse fundamental Christian beliefs. If this is how he feels, he needs to get out of that cult. Just because there are good people there (in a worldly way - and no doubt there are), this isn't reason enough to stick around. If he does believe their doctrine, then I believe he was being intellectually dishonest in the OP video.

Perhaps he thinks expressing Christian theology will help him be more accepted by the Christian community? That's even more dangerous as it confuses Christianity and Mormonism :chin

I'll say on the outset, this is a 9+ minute video clip, but I believe this is interesting and important to watch as Glenn Beck appears to be re-defining himself and emerging as a thought leader in faith. He is garnering more and more attention because of his bold messages of faith. There's a problem, though. As most of us know, Glenn Beck is a self proclaimed Mormon. Why then is he professing theology that flies in the face of Mormonism and very closely aligns with Christianity?

One of two things appears to be happening. Either:

1. He has found the Truth in the Christian understanding of salvation and who Jesus is.

OR

2. He is professing beliefs that he, as a Mormon, doesn't truly believe.

Todd Friel does a great job in this clip of calling Beck to the carpet. Beck must be honest in what he proclaims. Either he is a Mormon or a Christian. Millions of people are paying attention to him as he becomes more and more identified by his faith as opposed to his politics. We need to be aware of where he stands and what he's saying.
If he holds Mormon beliefs and is falsely making these claims of faith, there is the risk that he could have an end goal in attracting unsuspecting listeners to the Mormon faith. He's an enigma. I just don't know what to make of this re-invented Glenn Beck.

[video=youtube;UoiwZ3HoJMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoiwZ3HoJMM[/video]

.....there may be a third reason...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back