Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study God at the first did visit the Gentiles

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
49 And one of them, Caiaphas, being high priest that year, said to them, "You know nothing at all, 50 nor do you consider that it is expedient for us that one man should die for the people, and not that the whole nation should perish." 51 Now this he did not say on his own authority; but being high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the nation, 52 and not for that nation only, but also that He would gather together in one the children of God who were scattered abroad. John 11:49-52

Thus saith the LORD to his ANOINTED, to Cyrus, WHOSE RIGHT HAND I HAVE HOLDEN, to subdue kingdoms before him;...
Is 45:1

Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written.
Acts 15:14-15

Has anybody else been studying this topic?

Josiah was one of, if not the greatest king of Judah, except Jesus.
How come Josiah died?

Hint: ...Blessed be Egypt my people... Is. 19:25
Do you already know why Josiah died?

20 -20 vision in hindsight is easier. I do not know if I can answer your question in the bible study area. I am way to blunt at times, and I can see all sorts of discussion springing up that is a little more apologetics oriented. I try to do doctrine with a smile, but sometimes smiles do not come back. LOL

eddif

:sohappy

(Here's a happy smile, because your posts make me happy, eddif )
How about a little man with his hands / fists at his eyes crying.
How about the happy man and the crying man at the same time.
Or maybe a crying man planting seeds.
Or maybe all these and others too.

I talk of my box of understanding being different.from a lot of folks. This thread has finally pushed to an area I never thought I would go. Our little boxes are actually an eclectic selection of beliefs we accept. I have never taken a course or read anything on systematic theology (till this thread pushed me to look up how systematic theology is actually defined).

My box actually containers things I do not want in it. It is like someone else made up my box.

Systematic theology can actually exclude others (Acts 2:4 us four and no more LOL). If my system excludes your system then evaluation is in order. One person may be wrong or it might be just one is weak in an area of understanding (we accept others based on belief in Jesus Christ and not on just knowledge).

One poster in this thread was almost in internal tears (probably a lot of us). Looking at animal feet and stomach design seems strange to some; yet to me it is a system of understanding. Sharing Romans 1:18-20 is one of my systematic theology goals. Finding the words systematic theology in the Bible will yield you no fruit. Looking for words like: doctrine, meditate, depend on Holy Spirit leading, dividing the Word, etc will yield words / fruit.

May the mind of Christ be formed in us. May his actions make sense to us.

eddif

20 -20 vision in hindsight is easier. I do not know if I can answer your question in the bible study area. I am way to blunt at times, and I can see all sorts of discussion springing up that is a little more apologetics oriented. I try to do doctrine with a smile, but sometimes smiles do not come back. LOL

eddif

eddif

...Josiah ...hearkened not unto the words of Necho from the mouth of God...
2 CH 35:22

II Chronicles 34:26-28
The people of Israel were to be destroyed because of their sins, but Josiah was to die early because of his grief.

Death as mercy seems a little rough, but then the Law was to point out sin.

Doing mighty works does not save you, but the humble heart of Josiah did keep him from watching the punishment of Israel.

eddif

Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou O LORD, art our father, our reedemer; thy name is from everlasting.
Isaiah 63:16

Finally maybe.
Deuteronomy 15:16-17
Servants may just be servants or they can fall in love with the master and sign on for a lifetime.

To be a servant of God does not guarantee a heart felt eternal relationship.

Then, God does not demonstrate his love till he begins to chasten (direct -- rod / staff).
Hebrews 12:6

If we are without chastisement we are not family.
Hebrews 12:8

Isaiah 19
Discipline will hit Egypt, on many fronts, And Egypt will turn to The Lord.

Some can be used to serve God, but not have a personal relationship with him.
Matthew 7:22-23

We work out our salvation with fear and trembling.
Philippians 2:12

Have we opened the door and received the awl?

eddif

Can you name the Gentile priest who told Moses to teach laws to Israel?
jethro the kenite. i would have to research what he believed and remember that god gave the torah to moses not jethro.

I've arrived late to this discussion so forgive me if this has been discussed already in these many pages preceding.

Jethro was Moses' father-in-law (Exodus 18:1) and a priest of Midian.
In answer to your question, it was God who told Moshe(Moses) to teach his laws to Israel.Deuteronomy 10:1-13.

How would a priest of Midian command this?

Abraham was a Gentile
No, he wasn't. Abraham was a Jew. The Patriarch upon which Israel was founded.

Last edited:
Finally maybe.
Deuteronomy 15:16-17
Servants may just be servants or they can fall in love with the master and sign on for a lifetime.

To be a servant of God does not guarantee a heart felt eternal relationship.

agree

Then, God does not demonstrate his love till he begins to chasten (direct -- rod / staff).
Hebrews 12:6

don't agree

If we are without chastisement we are not family.
Hebrews 12:8

agree

Isaiah 19
Discipline will hit Egypt, on many fronts, And Egypt will turn to The Lord.

not enough info to agree/or not

Some can be used to serve God, but not have a personal relationship with him.
Matthew 7:22-23

agree

We work out our salvation with fear and trembling.
Philippians 2:12

not enough info to know what you think about this verse to agree/or not

Have we opened the door and received the awl?

eddif

Agree

I've arrived late to this discussion so forgive me if this has been discussed already in these many pages preceding.

Jethro was Moses' father-in-law (Exodus 18:1) and a priest of Midian.
In answer to your question, it was God who told Moshe(Moses) to teach his laws to Israel.Deuteronomy 10:1-13.

How would a priest of Midian command this?
Maybe this has been touched on...
what is your understanding of the word gentile

Adam Noah Abraham Job were not Jews.
Abraham was a Jew. It would be very difficult to argue he was not so when he was the patriarch of Jewish/Hebrew Israel.

As for, Gentile, the original Hebrew understanding of non-Jews was that of Goyim, or Goy = nation, people. In modern Hebrew it is understood to be Gentile.

Abraham was a Jew. It would be very difficult to argue he was not so when he was the patriarch of Jewish/Hebrew Israel.

As for, Gentile, the original Hebrew understanding of non-Jews was that of Goyim, or Goy = nation, people. In modern Hebrew it is understood to be Gentile.

Goy in the Hebrew just means nation and nothing else. This is how God uses it.

Gen 12:2 And I will make of thee a great nation [goy], and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
Jos 3:17 and the priests bearing the ark of the covenant of Jehovah stand on dry ground in the midst of the Jordan--established, and all Israel are passing over on dry ground till that all the nation [goy] hath completed to pass over the Jordan.
H1471 - goy

Any one using this word in either form 'goy' or 'goyim' to refer only to a non-Jew is using it incorrectly. However, it's a handy way to differentiate and technically slang.

Were all the people who passed over the Jordon and called by God the nation of Israel blood descendants of Abraham? Were there ever gentiles who were circumcised and therefore allowed to participate in the Passover lamb?
Just some interesting things I've been studying.

It is my understanding that before God separated Abram from the rest of mankind everyone was the same, what ever you want to call them. Once YHWH called Abram, and separated him in his call to leave his family and start the process to the Promised Land by giving him the promise, Abram became a Jew or the beginning of the Jewish Nation. It all started with Abram. IMO.

It is an interesting study. When in Matthew Jesus tells his disciples not to go into the territory of the HaGoyim, territory of the Gentiles or Goy, nor into that of the Samaritans.
And in Matthew 15, verse 24, he tells his disciples he was sent only to the Seh Oveid Beis Yisroel. (Lost sheep of the house of Israel)

And that Gentile means nation, means quite a bit in Hebrew faith. Especially in context to Jesus statements above.

Goy in the Hebrew just means nation and nothing else. This is how God uses it.

Gen 12:2 And I will make of thee a great nation [goy], and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
Jos 3:17 and the priests bearing the ark of the covenant of Jehovah stand on dry ground in the midst of the Jordan--established, and all Israel are passing over on dry ground till that all the nation [goy] hath completed to pass over the Jordan.
H1471 - goy

Any one using this word in either form 'goy' or 'goyim' to refer only to a non-Jew is using it incorrectly. However, it's a handy way to differentiate and technically slang.

Were all the people who passed over the Jordon and called by God the nation of Israel blood descendants of Abraham? Were there ever gentiles who were circumcised and therefore allowed to participate in the Passover lamb?
Just some interesting things I've been studying.

It is an interesting study. When in Matthew Jesus tells his disciples not to go into the territory of the HaGoyim, territory of the Gentiles or Goy, nor into that of the Samaritans.
And in Matthew 15, verse 24, he tells his disciples he was sent only to the Seh Oveid Beis Yisroel. (Lost sheep of the house of Israel)

And that Gentile means nation, means quite a bit in Hebrew faith. Especially in context to Jesus statements above.

Devarim 4:6
Be shomer therefore and do them; for this is your chochmah and your binah in the sight of the peoples, which shall hear all these chukkim, and say, Surely HaGoy HaGadol is a wise and understanding people.
Deuteronomy 4:6 ESV
6 Keep them and do them, for that will be your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples, who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, ‘Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.

Yes the message of the Messiah was taken to the nation first, as He came from them, He fulfilled the prophecies about Himself that were given to them as a nation and not to the other nations.

Devarim 4:6
Be shomer therefore and do them; for this is your chochmah and your binah in the sight of the peoples, which shall hear all these chukkim, and say, Surely HaGoy HaGadol is a wise and understanding people.
Deuteronomy 4:6 ESV
6 Keep them and do them, for that will be your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples, who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, ‘Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.

Yes the message of the Messiah was taken to the nation first, as He came from them, He fulfilled the prophecies about Himself that were given to them as a nation and not to the other nations.

Yes, that's Deuteronomy/Devarim and it is Moshe/Moses who is speaking of the Jews and Israel.
Deuteronomy 1:1 (Devarim 1 OJB) These [are] the words which Moses hath spoken unto all Israel, beyond the Jordan, in the wilderness, in the plain over-against Suph, between Paran and Tophel, and Laban, and Hazeroth, and Di-Zahab;

And this was for the Jews whom God hath chosen. As was said in Devarim 4:7 and beyond.

Back