Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

God's Great Free Gift of Salvation for Everyone

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Jesus gave us the parable of the servants entrusted with some money to be managed by them...

“For it is as if a man, going on a journey, summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them; to one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. At once the one who had received the five talents went off and traded with them and made five more talents. In the same way, the one who had the two talents made two more talents. But the one who had received the one talent went off and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money. After a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. Then the one who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you handed over to me five talents; see, I have made five more talents.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things; I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ And the one with the two talents also came forward, saying, ‘Master, you handed over to me two talents; see, I have made two more talents.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things; I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ Then the one who had received the one talent also came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew that you were a harsh man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not scatter, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’ But his master replied, ‘You wicked and lazy slave! You knew, did you, that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I did not scatter? Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and on my return I would have received what was my own with interest. So take the talent from him, and give it to the one with the ten talents. For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance, but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away. As for this worthless slave, throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ " Matthew 25:14-30

Notice specifically that the master did not give specific orders or instructions for his servants to follow. He left the decision up to them. It was their self-governance that determined their behavior. The first two acted with confidence in their own judgement without having specific commands; the third was paralyzed by fear because he didn't have specific commands.

Jesus told this parable for a reason! He has entrusted us, his servants, to act by our personal, internal governance (by the Holy Spirit), instead of by external instructions (by the law). It bothers me a lot that Christians do not understand this. They want to be governed by external commands and rules, like children and slaves, instead of by the internal guidance by the Holy Spirit.

Jesus gave us the parable of the servants entrusted with some money to be managed by them...

“For it is as if a man, going on a journey, summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them; to one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. At once the one who had received the five talents went off and traded with them and made five more talents. In the same way, the one who had the two talents made two more talents. But the one who had received the one talent went off and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money. After a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. Then the one who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you handed over to me five talents; see, I have made five more talents.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things; I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ And the one with the two talents also came forward, saying, ‘Master, you handed over to me two talents; see, I have made two more talents.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things; I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ Then the one who had received the one talent also came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew that you were a harsh man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not scatter, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’ But his master replied, ‘You wicked and lazy slave! You knew, did you, that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I did not scatter? Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and on my return I would have received what was my own with interest. So take the talent from him, and give it to the one with the ten talents. For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance, but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away. As for this worthless slave, throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ " Matthew 25:14-30

Notice specifically that the master did not give specific orders or instructions for his servants to follow. He left the decision up to them. It was their self-governance that determined their behavior. The first two acted with confidence in their own judgement without having specific commands; the third was paralyzed by fear because he didn't have specific commands.

Jesus told this parable for a reason! He has entrusted us, his servants, to act by our personal, internal governance (by the Holy Spirit), instead of by external instructions (by the law). It bothers me a lot that Christians do not understand this. They want to be governed by external commands and rules, like children and slaves, instead of by the internal guidance by the Holy Spirit.
Interesting parable. The talents are the Gospel. We have been entrusted with the Gospel because we believe it. Not many believe it, Jesus said, "Few there be that find it" Matthew 7:14. Few there be that find it, because few there be that seek it. What most have found is religion. It's easy to find religion, religion is about them, this is why its appealing.

Interesting parable. The talents are the Gospel. We have been entrusted with the Gospel because we believe it. Not many believe it, Jesus said, "Few there be that find it" Matthew 7:14. Few there be that find it, because few there be that seek it. What most have found is religion. It's easy to find religion, religion is about them, this is why its appealing.

Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matthew 7:13-14

The gospel is how we come to be on the narrow and difficult road that “leads” to eternal life.

Following (hearing and obeying) Jesus along the narrow and difficult road is how we remain on the road to the end.

Receiving the salvation of our soul, is the end result of our faith.

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls. 1 Peter 1:6-9

JLB

Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matthew 7:13-14

The gospel is how we come to be on the narrow and difficult road that “leads” to eternal life.

Following (hearing and obeying) Jesus along the narrow and difficult road is how we remain on the road to the end.

Receiving the salvation of our soul, is the end result of our faith.

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls. 1 Peter 1:6-9

JLB
The narrow gate is Jesus Christ. You can't obey Jesus because you were born after Adam and are a sinner, Romans 5:12. You need a savior, not an instructor.

The narrow gate is Jesus Christ. You can't obey Jesus because you were born after Adam and are a sinner, Romans 5:12. You need a savior, not an instructor.

Your Lord is the one you obey, whether the Lord Jesus or the devil and sin.

Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? Romans 6:16

The Holy Spirit is the power within to obey the Lord rather than the sinful cravings of the flesh.

Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
Romans 8:12-13

• For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

JLB

Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? Romans 6:16

The Holy Spirit is the power within to obey the Lord rather than the sinful cravings of the flesh.

Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

• For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

JLB
I am not in the sin fight. I used to be until I discovered that Jesus has already dealt with my sins.

I am not in the sin fight. I used to be until I discovered that Jesus has already dealt with my sins.

Could explain you explain what you mean by “dealt with” your sins?

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10

• if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Did you believe and confess Jesus as your Lord?

JLB

Salvation has always been by grace through faith, even in the Old Testament era. The Old Testament saints were saved and justified by faith in God's promise of a savior. "Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness" Romans 4:3.

The Pharisees thought that salvation was by keeping the Mosiac law. They said that the law was the way, the truth and the life and was the light that enlightened every man. John took what the Pharisees said about the law and applied it to Jesus, John 14:6. The Pharisees made the law and their religion their Jesus. How many are guilty of doing the same thing?

Some believe that salvation has only been provided for "Some certain persons". The Bible contradicts that teaching. The Bible plainly says, "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son" John 3:16. If God loves the world (Everyone) then why would he not provide salvation for everyone? There are several scriptures that tell us Jesus atoned for the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2, is just one of them.

Paul wrote, "For by grace (God's goodness) are you saved through faith; and not that of yourselves: it is the gift of God" Ephesians 2:8. A gift cannot be earned or deserved otherwise it would not be a free gift, a free gift can only be received. This principal is taught in all of life. God provides and we receive. Look at all of the abundance of material things that God has provided for us in life that we receive.

Many have trouble receiving free gifts, even the free gift of salvation. I have known of some people that were destitute and when they were offered help refused it because of pride. They said, "We don't need your help, we earn everything that we get". Unfortunately, they were not earning enough to feed and clothe their children. How many will be lost because they cannot receive God's great free gift of salvation that has been provided by Jesus Christ?
Believes God and follows His requirements. Make no mistake, most in the world know Jesus, the one God sent, but Jesus himself stated that most would choose the road to destruction Mat 7:13,14; the key to salvation is found in verse 21

Believes God and follows His requirements. Make no mistake, most in the world know Jesus, the one God sent, but Jesus himself stated that most would choose the road to destruction Mat 7:13,14; the key to salvation is found in verse 21
Why do you not understand to whom Jesus was talking and the context?

And don't neglect verses 15-20, “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorns or figs from thistles? In the same way, every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will know them by their fruits."

Could explain you explain what you mean by “dealt with” your sins?

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10

• if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

Did you believe and confess Jesus as your Lord?

JLB
I had nothing to do with my salvation. My salvation took place over 2,000 years ago. Jesus as my substitute and representative has done all that needs to be done to save me. In Jesus Christ I have been justified, sanctified and redeemed and now stand in God's Holy Court as perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10.

The will of the Father is that you trust in his Son Jesus Christ for your salvation.

The will of the Father is that you trust in his Son Jesus Christ for your salvation.
Did not those of Mat 7:21-23 trust him Bob? They trusted him so much they didn't just talk about it, they did: Mat 7:22 did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works?

Yes sir, we have to trust Jesus, but more than that obey what is referred to in the Bible as the law of the Christ 1 Cor 9:21. Jesus openly stated that few would be on the road to life, but the vast majority of the western world would say they trust, or believe in Christ. He is the most famous person who ever lived, people from all nations have heard of him.

Did not those of Mat 7:21-23 trust him Bob? They trusted him so much they didn't just talk about it, they did: Mat 7:22 did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works?

Yes sir, we have to trust Jesus, but more than that obey what is referred to in the Bible as the law of the Christ 1 Cor 9:21. Jesus openly stated that few would be on the road to life, but the vast majority of the western world would say they trust, or believe in Christ. He is the most famous person who ever lived, people from all nations have heard of him.
You have misinterpreted 1 Corinthians 9:21.

Paul was willing to be under the law to gain those that were without law. Paul never encouraged any one to live by the law. Paul said, "Know this that the law was not made for a righteous man but for the lawless and disobedient" 1 Timothy 1:9.

JLB
Paul said, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10.

You have misinterpreted 1 Corinthians 9:21.

Paul was willing to be under the law to gain those that were without law. Paul never encouraged any one to live by the law. Paul said, "Know this that the law was not made for a righteous man but for the lawless and disobedient" 1 Timothy 1:9.
The law Paul referred to was the law given to God's people through Moses. Christians have laws as well, although we have been released from the law covenant through Jesus' ransom sacrifice. Rom 10:4

My usage of 1 Cor 9:21 was to show there is laws for Christians, being called the law of the Christ or law to Christ there. You do believe Christians have to obey those laws don't you Bob? Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me

Paul said, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10.

Of course Paul wrote this. However we see the context.

And why not say, “Let us do evil that good may come”?—as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say. Their condemnation is just.
What then? Are we better than they? Not at all. For we have previously charged both Jews and Greeks that they are all under sin.
As it is written:
There is none righteous, no, not one;
Romans 3:8-10

Paul is teaching the Jewish Christians in Rome that they are no better than Gentiles, because all have sinned and all need a Savior.

Now that we are born again, and have the Righteous One dwelling within us, empowering us to practice righteousness, we indeed are considered by Him as righteous.

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Corinthians 5:21

again

Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 1 John 3:7

JLB

Of course Paul wrote this. However we see the context.

And why not say, “Let us do evil that good may come”?—as we are slanderously reported and as some affirm that we say. Their condemnation is just.
What then? Are we better than they? Not at all. For we have previously charged both Jews and Greeks that they are all under sin.
As it is written:
There is none righteous, no, not one;
Romans 3:8-10

Paul is teaching the Jewish Christians in Rome that they are no better than Gentiles, because all have sinned and all need a Savior.

Now that we are born again, and have the Righteous One dwelling within us, empowering us to practice righteousness, we indeed are considered by Him as righteous.

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Corinthians 5:21

again

Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 1 John 3:7

JLB
As long as we are in these Adamic bodies we are sinners because our bodies have not been redeemed yet, Romans 8:23. Paul struggled with sin, Romans 7:7-25. This corruption needs to put on incorruption, 1 Corinthians 15:53.

The law Paul referred to was the law given to God's people through Moses. Christians have laws as well, although we have been released from the law covenant through Jesus' ransom sacrifice. Rom 10:4

My usage of 1 Cor 9:21 was to show there is laws for Christians, being called the law of the Christ or law to Christ there. You do believe Christians have to obey those laws don't you Bob? Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me
Laws and commandments do not produce righteous, instead they promote sin, Romans 7:7-25. Christians are not Pharisees. The are Spirit led children of God.

Does this mean you can do whatever you WANT, free of His commandments and law?
Christians are guided by the Holy Spirit. Since Christians are free from the control of sin, no believer wants to behave contrary to His guidance.

John 8:36, "So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."

Galatians 5:1, "For freedom Christ has set us free. Stand firm, therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." The yoke of slavery is commandments and laws."

Galatians 2:4-5, "But because of false brothers and sisters secretly brought in, who slipped in to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might enslave us— we did not submit to them even for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might always remain with you."

Galatians 4:31, "So then, brothers and sisters, we are children, not of an enslaved woman but of the free woman."

You might want to read Galatians 4 to gain understanding of the freedom that we have in Christ.

Back