Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Heavy Metal myths

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
In both Bible study at church and the Bible study at the radio station, there are people who have some of the same tastes in music I do.
[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]:

Well, I see. Doesn't surprise me, really.

Anyway I think you said that you had been attending the Bible study group there even before you left your previous church, right.

So I guess you knew exactly what you were going to, in a sense.

Blessings.

I was going to the Bible study at the radio station, actually.

I was going to the Bible study at the radio station, actually.
[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]: Oh I see now. So they're kind of separate, then.

I can see how if a radio station is particularly identified with Christian rock/metal and they were holding Bible studies, too, that they might attract many young people, anyway.

Blessings.

I was listening to Disciple's 'Draw the Line'. The lyrics seem good; they remind me of Paul's words in 2 Corinthians 5.17.

[MENTION=96520]Tomg[/MENTION]
If you don't mind, I'd rather not debate. If you keep responding to my posts, I'll keep replying and sharing my thoughts. But I've got to be going to bed soon, and it would rather unpleasant to have a long, drawn out debate where the first thing I see when I log on is a notification about a post obligating me to defend my position. While debates can be an excellent learning tool when used properly, I rather dread them when they insist on going on like that. It's not that I'm not capable of engaging in them; but they do tend to distract me to the point where I'm thinking about what my next counter-argument will be, all day long, when I either need to be concentrating on something else or when these thoughts will not allow me to sit down and really enjoy something, like a movie.

I respect your right to your opinion, as I respect those in my family who still hold to the anti-rock position, and I'd be happy to agree to disagree. I believe the link I shared says it all as far as my position on music is concerned, anyway.

I must say anyway that I'm favorably impressed by some of Disciple's lyrics.

I wonder if the lyrics are a collective effort, or whether the lead singer writes them?

Blessings.

Like I said it was despite the music.

Hahaha ..

I notice how you ignored a lot from here..

So again, is a song sung at the Church of Satan not Satanic because it's a hymn? It's slow, not loud, non-aggressive.. Same difference just thrown at you in another way..

If a song's lyrics are God honoring and point people to Christ, then how can the song be described as part of the 'unfruitful works of darkness'?

The lyrics honor God but the music is wordly and therefore not honoring God.

There´s nothing new under the sun, most arguments can be found here:

http://www.erictb.info/ccm.html
http://www.northsidebaptistchurch.org.au/christian-resources/christian-rock-music.html

So again, is a song sung at the Church of Satan not Satanic because it's a hymn?

I never said that.

Greetings,
TomG

Last edited by a moderator:
If a song's lyrics are God honoring and point people to Christ, then how can the song be described as part of the 'unfruitful works of darkness'?

Tomg: Hi, there. Interestingly, the tunes to some well known hymns actually began as drinking songs! :)

Historically, whenever some cultural feature seems different to people accustomed to something else, some of them will try to claim that it is 'wrong' as well as different.

I think you yourself admit already that some hard rock/metal lyrics do indeed honor God.

Blessings.

Debunking the Wesley Tavern Song Myth

Interestingly, the tunes to some well known hymns actually began as drinking songs!

Some say this is a myth.

Dean McIntyre
Debunking the Wesley Tavern Song Myth
gbod.org/lead-your-church/music-musings/resource/wesleys-tavern-songs

I think you yourself admit already that some hard rock/metal lyrics do indeed honor God.

See Post #41:
Example: When you scream like a maniac at your wife: "I love you", do you think she feels loved? No, because the tone of your voice is contradicting the words. Same with christian rock, the music says violence, rebellion but the lyrics say some christian words.

God bless

Tomg:

I suppose you would also deny that General William Booth of the Salvation Army ever said: 'Why should the devil have the best tunes?'

Blessings.

Re: Debunking the Wesley Tavern Song Myth

There´s nothing new under the sun, most arguments can be found here:

http://www.erictb.info/ccm.html
http://www.northsidebaptistchurch.org.au/christian-resources/christian-rock-music.html

So again, is a song sung at the Church of Satan not Satanic because it's a hymn?

I never said that.

Greetings,
TomG

Greetings to you in the love of Jesus

Tomg,

It appears that you are coming here, (CF.net) to apparently debate this subject with us? Correct

We love to hear our members opinions and we honor and even promote a good healthy debate. However, so far in this thread when you have been asked a question, you provide links to us. Tomg, if you're are not able to post your own thoughts with Scripture. Then why do you continue here with this thread? I'm beginning to believe that you are promoting other sources! If you have any substantial evidence you would like to share here via Scripture, great! We don't need to hear the opinion of others, especially others outside of this thread because they are not apart of this thread, you are! So if you have evidence, then please share.

You said -

See Post #41:
Originally Posted by Tomg
Example: When you scream like a maniac at your wife: "I love you", do you think she feels loved? No, because the tone of your voice is contradicting the words. Same with christian rock, the music says violence, rebellion but the lyrics say some christian words.

And my question again to you is a simple one ... If the Church of Satan (founded by Anton Lavey) sang in hymns against the Church of Christ, is it Satanic? Yes or no? Please explain your answer in detail without external links..

If the Church of Satan (founded by Anton Lavey) sang in hymns against the Church of Christ, is it Satanic? Yes or no? Please explain your answer in detail without external links

I am not familiar with the Church of Satan and I know not what they do so I can not answer your question.

@Atonement : Just wondered: does your daughter have any discernible tastes in music style yet? (presumably if you really thought some styles to be as bad as some folk make them out to be, you would be discouraging her from listening.)

Blessings.

I am not familiar with the Church of Satan and I know not what they do so I can not answer your question.

Yet you can condemn Christian rock music at the drop of a hat? But play the naive-card concerning the music in the Church of Satan?? Wow, go figure eh'.. Are you listening to yourself and your answers? So because you are not able to answer simple questions, how then shall we trust anything you say from this point forward?

I think you rely to much on other peoples opinions and their position on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Atonement : Just wondered: does your daughter have any discernible tastes in music style yet? (presumably if you really thought some styles to be as bad as some folk make them out to be, you would be discouraging her from listening.)

Blessings.

Yeah my daughter loves all kinds of music (just like her daddy) lol. But she loves DC Talk, Newboys, Rebecca St. James, and Toby Mac.. She loves to dance, but keep that on the down-low... Some people actually believe dancing is of the Devil :toofunny

Yeah my daughter loves all kinds of music (just like her daddy) lol. But she loves DC Talk, Newboys, Rebecca St. James, and Toby Mac.. ...
@Atonement : Presumably also you hope she'll learn to respect the role that Christian heavy metal played in the conversion of her dad... :)

Blessings.

Blessings.

Let me add. I don't discourage any music style, what I do discourage are the people with bad images that create secular music with distasteful lyrics (Brittney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Justin Beaver lol). Because these people to name just a few have promoted drugs use, open sexual immoral living styles, LB and more. However, she can dance, as well as bang her head. If it's for the Lord.. I want to encourage it!

[MENTION=90960]Atonement[/MENTION]:

It might be useful for parents to teach their teens that want to head bang, to do it not too vigorously; there was a news report of a 15 year old that injured himself severely while doing it with abandon. So if done at all, getting the rhythm and doing it gently is the best way to do it... :)

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back