Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Heavy Metal myths

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
farouk;817713 [MENTION=90960 said:
Atonement[/MENTION] : Presumably also you hope she'll learn to respect the role that Christian heavy metal played in the conversion of her dad...

Blessings.

Actually she always liked metal too. She loves WhiteCross and Casting Crowns
[MENTION=90960]Atonement[/MENTION]: Well, kind of a lot of family history there, I guess... :)

Of course there is softer metal and heavy metal; just like soft rock and hard rock.

(I wonder why 'hard' qualifies 'rock', while 'heavy' qualifies 'metal'... :chin

Blessings.

[MENTION=90960]Atonement[/MENTION]:

It might be useful for parents to teach their teens that want to head bang, to do it not too vigorously; there was a news report of a 15 year old that injured himself severely while doing it with abandon. So if done at all, getting the rhythm and doing it gently is the best way to do it... :)

Blessings.

:hysterical no brother she does not go all crazy :toofunny she just basically bops her head around when she's getting into a tune. Not like they do at rock concerts haha.

@Atonement : Well, kind of a lot of family history there, I guess...

Of course there is softer metal and heavy metal; just like soft rock and hard rock.

(I wonder why 'hard' qualifies 'rock', while 'heavy' qualifies 'metal'...

Blessings.

Very true.. I can't keep up with it all myself now days - There is speed metal, thrash metal, progression metal, classic metal, heavy metal and a new thing called new-age metal? And of course death metal

And you know, also, I've even heard Bach (one can't get more traditional than Bach, in a sense) played in heavy metal style. The counterpoint kind of lends itself to such an adaptation, really. For young people exposed to such musical style, the dividing line between traditional and modern is especially hard to discern, I would suggest. (A bit like clothes fashion, really: 1960s fashion is retro-fashionable now, and young woman who wore a 60s miniskirt at the age of 31 in 1964 would now be aged 80.) And so it goes...

Blessings.

[MENTION=41474]farouk[/MENTION]

That makes a lot of sense though. The clothing styles back then have resurfaced (some have) and the same with music. I can not put my finger on why there is different metal, to me it sounds the same but the message may be different. You mentioned Bach, I think you made a comment on a video that I upload a couple of weeks back about a classical metal? That kind of music to me is beautiful and it uplifts my spirits. It's the same as when I take my daughter every year to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra play during Christmas.. They have taken old Christmas tunes and changed them to something beautiful using heavy metal.. And they sale out year after year in Houston, and every time I have attended, we don't see all these long hair, leather wearing rockers. No we see families with young kids, elderly people - a whole range of different cultures and backgrounds - but they all can appreciate the metal behind the Christmas themed music..

[MENTION=41474]farouk[/MENTION]

That makes a lot of sense though. The clothing styles back then have resurfaced (some have) and the same with music. I can not put my finger on why there is different metal, to me it sounds the same but the message may be different. You mentioned Bach, I think you made a comment on a video that I upload a couple of weeks back about a classical metal? That kind of music to me is beautiful and it uplifts my spirits. It's the same as when I take my daughter every year to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra play during Christmas.. They have taken old Christmas tunes and changed them to something beautiful using heavy metal.. And they sale out year after year in Houston, and every time I have attended, we don't see all these long hair, leather wearing rockers. No we see families with young kids, elderly people - a whole range of different cultures and backgrounds - but they all can appreciate the metal behind the Christmas themed music..

Well, exactly.

Beauty - and newness, etc. - are in the eye - and ears - of the beholder and listener (to adopt a phrase).

Blessings.

I listened to Disciple's 'Once and For All'; and its lyrics seems to be a good description of the conversion experience whereby the sinner encounters the grace of God in cleansing from one's past.

Blessings.

Classical music and music generally approved of by the church today was "good, Christian music" was once denounced as worldly by the church. The violin/fiddle at the time of it's creation was criticized as "the devil's harp" by those in the church.

You can pretty much call anything you please worldly, since we live in the world and everything around us is from this world or was put together by those in this world. If we follow the logic that the verse that commands us to be in the world but not of it means that anything that's popular must be worldly and therefore abhorred by God, that rules out tons of stuff including popular movies. Just how far is this interpretation to be taken? Are we to be like some of the Christians from 100, 200 years ago who taught that anything that brings pleasure or enjoyment is worldly and of the devil? Are we to live like the Amish, who believe it a sin to live in modern society and have modern conveniences because they are "of the world"?

What seems like a more likely meaning of the verse, to me, is don't live in sin like those of the world do. Rather than, avoid whatever the world enjoys, I think it more likely means to use common sense and avoid that which you know to be wrong. Don't live like those of the world, living only to enjoy this life and not thinking of what will happen after they die.

In my experience, I find that the CMM radio station I listen to will actually improve my outlook and remind me of what's really important in this life.
Plus, God has spoken to me through a lot of CMM songs. Once I was walking by my room to the bathroom, discouraged and fearful of my future, and then, right at that moment, the song "Voice of Truth" by Casting Crowns came on the radio. Here's a verse from that song:
Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone
To the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out his hand

But the waves are calling out my name and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. 'Boy, you'll never win!'
"You'll never win"

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
And the voice of truth says "Do not be afraid!"
And the voice of truth says "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

Things like that, where something will happen to encourage me at just the right moment and remind me that God is in control, and I just know that God is speaking to me--those are the moments that keep help me keep the faith. Of course, it's not just music where I've experienced these moments. I've also experienced them at places like the Bible study and church I attend.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lord said His Gospel shall be preached to all the world before His 2nd coming.. This can only be done through television, and the Internet. If it was left up to missionaries, there would still be hundreds of millions of people who would still not know the Lord. But through TV. Internet, Music, Videos etc. People have come to know Him.

Also, the Lord said that when He comes back every eye shall see Him, again this can only be done by our modern day technology. Never does our Lord condemn it, but rather uses it to fulfill His Word. I believe the same to be true through music, Christian movies, Christian books etc

[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]:

Interesting testimony comments there. Yes, it can be music as a vehicle, expecially when the lyrics are Biblically based.

And although - for example - some of the tracks of Disciple's 'Lord Save us All' album are still obscure to me, some of the tracks definitely do have Biblical basis, and when driven home by quality hard rock/heavy metal, can I'm sure be both encouraging and challenging.

Blessings.

Interesting testimony comments there. Yes, it can be music as a vehicle, expecially when the lyrics are Biblically based.

And although - for example - some of the tracks of Disciple's 'Lord Save us All' album are still obscure to me, some of the tracks definitely do have Biblical basis, and when driven home by quality hard rock/heavy metal, can I'm sure be both encouraging and challenging.

Blessings.

Yeah. I find Disciple to be one of the most encouraging bands I listen to.

And, hey, I like hymns. My favorite is "Sweet Hour of Prayer". I like some classical music. "Canon in D" is probably my favorite. I can play simplified classics on my piano. And I've learned and read about the lives of classical composers and musicians in school. They had to have a lot of talent to compose what they did. That's great. (On another note, some of the classical composers actually led some pretty sinful lives. That doesn't make them any less talented, or their music any less good.)

All that said, I find today's music, the CCM we have today, more relatable. And I don't mean just because I'm into the more modern sound. But the lyrics. The hymns are great, definitely have their place. My church uses both hymns and CCM, and I like that they do that. But when it comes to the lyrics in the hymns, the language is definitely older, reflecting the time during which it was written. CCM lyrics reflect this time and are more relatable to me.

@questdriven :

Blessings.

Yeah. I find Disciple to be one of the most encouraging bands I listen to.

And, hey, I like hymns. My favorite is "Sweet Hour of Prayer". I like some classical music. "Canon in D" is probably my favorite. I can play simplified classics on my piano. And I've learned and read about the lives of classical composers and musicians in school. They had to have a lot of talent to compose what they did. That's great. (On another note, some of the classical composers actually led some pretty sinful lives. That doesn't make them any less talented, or their music any less good.)

All that said, I find today's music, the CCM we have today, more relatable. And I don't mean just because I'm into the more modern sound. But the lyrics. The hymns are great, definitely have their place. My church uses both hymns and CCM, and I like that they do that. But when it comes to the lyrics in the hymns, the language is definitely older, reflecting the time during which it was written. CCM lyrics reflect this time and are more relatable to me.
@questdriven :

I can see what you mean.

I do think that keeping the old hymns as well is important. Because we need to have a range of independent experiences of the grace of God in various centuries, and not just from our own times; otherwise we can miss certain Biblical emphases without realizing it; we don't want to be the prisoners of our times; but we do have to live today also.

Re. Disciple, I do like various of their tracks' lyrics, though I'm a bit baffled about some of them; they don't seem to be very clear (maybe it's just me).

Blessings.

PS: [MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]:

Yes, I love 'Sweet hour of prayer', too! We used to sing it at a senior home regularly.

Blessings.

I can see what you mean.

I do think that keeping the old hymns as well is important. Because we need to have a range of independent experiences of the grace of God in various centuries, and not just from our own times; otherwise we can miss certain Biblical emphases without realizing it; we don't want to be the prisoners of our times; but we do have to live today also.

Re. Disciple, I do like various of their tracks lyrics, though I'm a bit baffled about some of them; they don't seem to be very clear (maybe it's just me).

Blessings.

Very true.

Yeah, some of their lyrics are a little confusing at first. I see if I can look up the meanings when/if I can't decipher them for myself.

Anyway, you know, so much of what you say about heavy metal/hard rock, Disciple, the abiding value of traditional hymns, the sensibilities of today, etc, rings very true.

I was thinking; it's really a pity that at your previous church you weren't able to have more wide-ranging and frank discussions with people about their thoughts on Christian music (and maybe other issues as well).

We all have our personal journeys and channels through which we particularly appreciate and are challenged by the grace of God in the Gospel of His beloved Son. But anyway it's always good to remember also that whether lyrics are Biblical is more or less the central issue.

Blessings.

Very true.

Yeah, some of their lyrics are a little confusing at first. I see if I can look up the meanings when/if I can't decipher them for myself.
@questdriven :

I think it's good when lyrics, however simple, are at least clear, when they have a Christian meaning. (Otherwise there's not too much point...)

And some of them are clear.

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if eating spicy peppers is less righteous than eating sqaush....... Or what does it mean when you mix the spicy peppers with the sqaush? .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:naughty

I wonder if eating spicy peppers is less righteous than eating sqaush....... Or what does it mean when you mix the spicy peppers with the sqaush? .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:naughty

Not sure I follow...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back