Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Hebrews 10:26

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I have heard the word and kept on sinning.
Is your sinning because you do not want or value the forgiveness of God in Christ? Based on your participation in this forum I'd say probably not.

Willful sin that condemns to me is the sin that has no provocation other than you just want to do it. IOW, it's sin that is not being energized by an overwhelming struggle with pride, or lust, or fear, etc......you just want to do it. And I think that is what th1b.taylor was describing. And sure, Christians are capable of going down that road, but even then that Christian, IMO, has to be keenly aware that he is sinning in that freedom from the power of the flesh before God puts it into the 'willful sin' category.

This verse eludes me.

"If we go on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins."

I do willingly sin, at times. Not all of my sins are "oops" moments, they are deliberate sins, knowing full well that those sins are wrong.

Here are my questions about this verse: What becomes of the Christian who deliberately sins with full knowledge that he is sinning? And, how do those with the position of eternal security justify this verse? Finally, what do you think this verse means?
You should read my exegesis of this passage posted previously on this forum.

http://christianforums.net/Fellowsh...-of-hebrews-10-26-31-loss-of-salvation.46969/

This verse eludes me.

"If we go on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins."

I do willingly sin, at times. Not all of my sins are "oops" moments, they are deliberate sins, knowing full well that those sins are wrong.

Here are my questions about this verse: What becomes of the Christian who deliberately sins with full knowledge that he is sinning? And, how do those with the position of eternal security justify this verse? Finally, what do you think this verse means?

We would be foolish to think that indwelling sin, which Paul termed "no longer I" twice in Romans 7, will do anything "other than" sin.

We all have this "built in contrariness." Identified here,

Galatians 5:17
For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Anyone who claims that they don't have this contrariness isn't even "in Truth." And are only covering up the contrariness.

We are to "rule and reign" over this contrariness. Rule and reign is not to be had in lying about it. Or, the even worse fate, being a hypocrite! Paul is clear that we are NO BETTER than anyone else in regards to "having sin." Romans 3:9 !

So, you are right to pinpoint it. You are right to speak honestly about it. Nobodies indwelling sin is ever legal, obedient, faithful, under Grace, or the recipient of Divine Mercy. Though most try to make that the case.

That which is contrary to the Spirit is built into all of us. We'd do better to stop trying to say it isn't so, and to look truthfully upon this contrariness for what it is. It is sin, which is of the devil. 1 John 3:8

I have zero expectations that my flesh will not be subject to lusts and just about every imaginable temptation of the tempter. Nor do I expect the tempter to be legal, justified, under Grace, or the recipient of Divine Mercy.

It is on this exact ground that we are ripped apart, in failing to perceive our own built in contrariness.

If we "picture" the Two Edged Sword of Jesus, and impose it on the fact that Paul described above, it is meant to, in essence, cut us exactly in HALF.

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Picture that Sword coming down, between the two sights above.

The Spirit is "against" our own flesh, and the lusts and temptations therein. Because, they are in fact demonic in nature.

In the Light of this factual contrariness, it is just as easy for me to see Jesus as Foe and Friend. It is on the FOE side of the ledgers that I perceive the FEAR of God, and it is "rightful" fear.

Last edited:
David was a man after God's heart. Uriah was one of those mighty men from the difficult years. In the 53 psalm David prayed not to have the Holy Spirit removed.

Planned sin isn't part of this equation.
Wrong, David sent a servant for Uriah's wife and David planned Uriah's death.

This verse eludes me.

Paul asks the same question concerning himself"
Romans 7: 14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin​

If you can see yourself here in Romans 7, can you also see yourself in Romans 8?
Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.​

Notice the tense of verse 1: NOW is present tense, that says the Christian is perpetually and unconditionally in the state of having no condemnation. However, that is not to be a source of chest-thumping presumption or pride; it to make one aware of how great their sinning is to ward a just, righteous and holy God. Even more, its purpose is to make us aware of the greatness of the mercy that He would save anyone, especially me.

Respectfully, I state that this is not the proper question to ask God because in many cases, (perhaps not yours) it is rooted in the desire to question what God has said in His Bible, and/or it is used to cause divisions.

Look first at what Scripture says:

1 John 1: 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.​

This is stating exactly what Paul said above. The reason I mentioned "causing divisions" above, is because whenever anyone asks questions about "What about other Christians who......?" the focus is taken away from the personal and objective relationship that we have with Jesus Christ and it starts to focus on a hypothetical relationship that OTHERS may have with Jesus Christ. Can you see that?

The best thing we can say about that is that God does warn us about the sin of presumption:

1 Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.​

Balancing that with

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

We have to be reminded of our own daily sins, and seek forgiveness for our shortfalls.

I do not know about you, but just keeping those in balance is hard enough; so I do not have time to worry about others may or may not do. That is because I know without a doubt that Jesus takes care of me, so I can also state that he does the same for those who are truly His.

Make sense?

Romans 14:
4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Romans 14:
4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
The verses contain life for anyone to draw upon.
A verse without life application is of little use to most folks.

Smaller,
Could you please elaborate on what you are attempting to state? Neither th1b.taylor nor I can get any meaning from a single verse ripped out of its context.

Here is the entire context, and there is absolutely nothing in these 7 versed that has anything to do with topic of the conversation so far, and that is the reason why I am asking you to clarify your cryptic usage of Scripture.

Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.​

Smaller,
Could you please elaborate on what you are attempting to state? Neither th1b.taylor nor I can get any meaning from a single verse ripped out of its context.

Here is the entire context, and there is absolutely nothing in these 7 versed that has anything to do with topic of the conversation so far, and that is the reason why I am asking you to clarify your cryptic usage of Scripture.

Regarding the infamous Hebrews claims of sinning willfully, there are zero christians who are sinless, post salvation.

Any theology treatise on sin requires scriptural forensics on the matters of sin.

We know many many matters about sin from the scriptures. To understand requires the "knowledge of the truth" being spoken about in Hebrews 10:26.

Hebrews 10:
26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

What adversaries are being spoken of here? It is part of our Hope, that our adversaries come under judgment and fiery indignation. Who are they is the question at hand to understand what is being spoken of here.

All the work that the Apostles and disciples worked toward revolves around a single quest, the quest delivered to Paul by Jesus in Acts 26:18, showing "the adversary."

Acts 26:
18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

When we engage any unbeliever, we are not just witnessing to them. We should also understand that "our adversary" has them blinded, in his grip.

2 Corinthians 4:
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

All of this "internal blinding activity" is based on what Jesus taught, here. It's a principle.

Mark 4:15
And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.

In the scriptural depictions of "man" there is no such entity as "just man." There is "man" and there is the blinder upon the heart and mind of man. This makes a simple accounting of TWO separate parties present.

The person and the blinder.

When we are saved, the role is, for all effects and purposes, reversed. We are no longer "under" the blinder, but ON TOP of same, to rule over his internal activity.

The accounting of us however is no different than it is for anyone else.

So, in reading Hebrews 10:26, this is directly addressing our own internal adversary.

Nothing of what Christ did or does is in behalf of the adversaries. Whatever is true for us, is the opposite, for them.

In practical terms, we might observe Paul's internal reality, here for example:

2 Corinthians 12:7
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

Paul applied the same accounting of himself. There was Paul, and there was the messenger of Satan in his own flesh. 2 entirely different parties.

Prior to salvation Paul was not cognizant of his internal slaveship. He was, in effect, blinded by the blinder, as Saul, the blinded slave of Satan. Eph. 2:2 applies this identical position to all of us, prior to salvation. We walked according to WHOM? Go read it. After salvation, the roles were reversed, and Paul was put on TOP of that party. So are we, put on top.

We know also that sin is of the devil. 1 John 3:8 So, again, there are always 2 parties to account for. Paul and John were identical in this "knowledge."

It is on this same basis that Peter shows us where "judgment" falls FIRST. And it does so, because of our adversaries:

1 Peter 4:17
For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

Again, apply the same accounting principle, and it will be seen, clearly. The "other party" however will resist this sight in any believer, automatically, every time, without fail, in resistance. I might say that any believer who does not see the Cross as a one time entirely sufficient sacrifice for them, is in fact under the influences of the other party who is telling them, in their mind, that the sacrifice of Christ was NOT sufficient for them.

And this partly blinded sight encompasses a great deal of believers today.

The Cross, His sacrifice was entirely sufficient for the believer. But NOT for the other parties, our adversaries. And these we bear in our own flesh. The instant any believer comes under temptation or internal evil thoughts, they should know of the presence of the adversary, internally, that is not them. Simple honesty, internally, will show the believer "who" that is from and it's not from us, as believers.

This is why, after salvation, we remain with "evil" internally just as Paul did in Romans 7:21. And I can assure you God does not bless "evil" present for any reason, but resists it. So are we, to resist. This is also why "works" salvation postures are worthless postures. No matter what any of us do, we still remain a composite of good and evil, internally. There is no way to justify evil or to work our way out of this fact. We are all, down to the least of us, bound with contrariness in our own flesh, to matters of the Spirit, signified by Paul, here:

There will be no salvation to the contrariness. It is caused by lusts and internal temptations, and those, performed by the resistance of the adversaries in our own flesh, who arrive ala Mark 4:15, to resist the things of God in Christ, in our own flesh.

Paul shows exactly how this principle works in Romans 7:7-13. Apostles are "singled out" for even MORE internal resistance, which is WHY Paul defined himself as 'the chief of sinners' after salvation in 1 Tim. 1:15. He was not considering "just himself" in that equation.

Last edited:
Could you please elaborate on what you are attempting to state? Neither th1b.taylor nor I can get any meaning from a single verse removed from its context.

Regarding the infamous Hebrews claims of sinning willfully, there are zero christians who are sinless, post salvation.

You cited
Hebrews 10:26-27
Acts 26:18
2 Corinthians 4:
4 I

Mark 4:15
2 Corinthians 12:7
Eph. 2:2
1 John 3:8
1 Peter 4:17

In none of your citations and explanations did you make a reference to Romans 14:4, which was my original question to you.

Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
Therefore, I am once again asking you to clarify what you meant to say when you posted Romans 14:4 without any explanatory comment.

Since this is the "Bible Study forum" and there is no debate permitted, I will honor that premise. However, in honoring that premise, I do not believe it is not wrong state "I do not believe your comments are correct.", but giving neither specifics, nor debating.

26For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES. 28Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?" (Hebrews 10:26-29 NASB)

There are several ways they do that:

1) They say "there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins" in verse 26 means all your sin is covered, even your willful sin of unbelief, to such a degree, forever, that no sacrifice for sin is necessary for you now.

2) "The fury of the fire" suffered by the one who sins willfully is not the damnation of the wicked but rather the chastisement reserved for the children of God. IOW, this is not a judgment resulting in eternal damnation, but of loss of reward in the kingdom.

3) The passage is talking about unbelievers, not believers.

That is how the passage is interpreted in order to keep it from contradicting OSAS doctrine. But every one of these arguments are easily defeated.

I do believe Jethro got this one right....all you need to do now is confess (agree with God that you have this sin in your life) and because of what Jethro just revealed to you the LORD is just and faithful to forgive you of this sin and cleanse you of unrighteousness because of it. Jesus died for ALL your sins...once you were sealed with the Spirit you were sealed until the day of redemption...God in His foreknowing knew every sin you would or will ever commit. The provision IN CHRIST pays it all assuming you were sincere and contrite when you came to Christ (some do it for other reasons...Ex. to be part of the crowd, family tradition, etc.). Strive not to sin but if you do, confess (God knows the heart)....again I say strive not to sin....for when we sin we are no longer under the power of the Adversary but it is we ourselves who make this choice (usually carried away by our own lusts whatever they may be and they are not always sexual in nature).

Romans 4:14 is a counter to the sight of Hebrews 10:26 when it is FALSELY APPLIED to the possible condemnation of believers. The elaboration contained in my response points to the reality of the contrariness that we all have in our own flesh, which is FROM our adversary(s).

That's also why it's pointless to judge any believer on the basis of sin, because none are sinless, post salvation, by any forms of ritual, practice or belief.

Romans 4:14 is a counter to the sight of Hebrews 10:26 when it is FALSELY APPLIED to the possible condemnation of believers. The elaboration contained in my response points to the reality of the contrariness that we all have in our own flesh, which is FROM our adversary(s).

That's also why it's pointless to judge any believer on the basis of sin, because none are sinless, post salvation, by any forms of ritual, practice or belief.

Thank you for your clarification. I have come to the point that it is wrong to condemn anyone unless you are an elder or pastor of a church, and you are attempting to glorify Jesus in the church as a group of godly men. We do not know all circumstances, but we try to judge with a holy result in mind.

Disagreeing with one's theology is a different matter, and that can be done without "jumping on another person". The point I wanted to make is that being saved does not eradicate our old, sin nature" because Scripture says, "for all have sinned..."

On the other hand, there is no Christian who is condemned for his sins because Romans 8:1 says that clearly. So when we see those two seemingly "contradictory" Scriptures, it is our (sinful?) tendency to such to an "all -or-nothing polarity" that has no support in Scripture. Maintaining those truths is difficult, especially for me. Therefore, I am very reluctant to claim that anyone is not a Christian, unless there is a continued and hard-hearted indifference to the Atonement of Jesus Christ that is biased more on presumption than fact.

We should "expect" our adversary(s) to be destroyed, just as the writer of Hebrews directs to see.

There are 2 questions that arise from this sight.

A. WHO are they, our adversary(s)???

If you answer Satan and devils, you have seen correctly. These are the "adversaries" that we fully expect Jesus to utterly destroy, as a solid Promise of the Gospel.

The more difficult sight/question to come into is this:

B. WHERE are they?

If you answer "in my dead flesh," you again have seen, correctly. BUT, this sight will be actively resisted, by the adversary in the flesh.

If we complete this "personal investigation" we can all answer the other questions that any good investigative scriptural reporter will delve into. We have the "who" and the "where."

What, when and how are also in the equations of good investigations. But getting on top of the first 2 above are more important, and often impossible. Because the opposition/adversary party(s) not only can not hear, but they also resist. And will "insist" that they too are 'saved.'

It makes for an interesting theological stew. It's one of the most fascinating engagements there is in theology, because the opposition party(s) operate in real time, in the now, IN the flesh of all, to some degree or another.

Very very cagey, to say the least.

Paul did a very very GOOD job, pinning this matter down, personally. I'd say, Perfectly so.

<SNIP>
B. WHERE are they [our adversary(s)]????
If you answer "in my dead flesh," you again have seen, correctly. BUT, this sight will be actively resisted, by the adversary in the flesh.
What do you mean by the term, "my dead flesh"?
How can anything "live" in something that is "dead"?

I see that you are mixing metaphors, calling that "Bible Study" then expecting the rest of us to agree. You did that above when you posted this
because that quote of yours has zero to do with the verse itself:
Romans 4:14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect

There are no references to the terms like "dead flesh" "adversaries" or "personal investigation" in Romans 4:14. Instead the verse is all about the inheritance that Christians have because they are the spiritual heirs of Abraham's seed, and they are Abraham's seed through faith, not through law-keeping.

So this is my second call for you to clarify what you mean, and it will be my last. It will be my last because I am not attempting to debate with a back-and-forth dialog, which is contrary to the expressed purposes of this forum. I truly don't know what you mean, so how can I "debate" on that topic (if I could) ? :confused

I think one must read v 26 and v27 not just one or the other they appear to go together.

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
Acts 16:30-31 could also play a part
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

it could be that if you really believe in Jesus as Savior of the world King of Kings and you back slide or sin after you are saved then v 27 will take place and cleanse your spirit. v 27 indicates that one can be cleansed by fire because of belief and not sent to hell, imho

Romans 10
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation
So I think until I see different one can believe in Jesus and be saved and possibly sin after anf be saved by their belief in Christ but must be cleansed by fire which in v27 sounds painfully but one can go through it.

This verse eludes me.
You are not the only one confused about this verse, and unfortunately, many preachers use this verse as a "hammer" to strike unwarranted fear into the hearts unsuspecting and trusting Christians. Those who do the "hammering" are well-meaning, but inaccurate because they misinterpret what is actually written, and they suppose something that is not written.

First, what is not written is vital here. Those who hammer other Christi and make it seem as the word "if" means "when" and that makes it a sure thing that those who sin are trampling the Atonement of Jesus.

The word translated "if" is actually a conditional clause. A conditional clause is not a sure thing, it is not most likely thing, it is a state that expresses a possibility of something happening. Is it possible that a Christian will sin after conversion? Indeed so! We all sin, so what else is new?

The important thing in this verse is not the preposition "if" but the adverb translated in the KJV as "willingly" If you recall your middle school grammar lessons, adverbs modify verbs, meaning that they change the meaning of verbs in substantial ways. This is an adverb of manner; here is the definition from a Greek Lexicon:

30.65 : pertaining to being without a special goal or purpose—‘without purpose, unintentionally, aimlessly.’ ‘I, then, do not run like a man running aimlessly’ 1 Cor 9:26. In a number of languages ‘aimlessly’ may be rendered simply as ‘without having some goal’ or ‘without some reason’ or ‘without trying to accomplish something.

Louw, J. P., & Nida, E. A. (1996). Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament: based on semantic domains (electronic ed. of the 2nd edition., Vol. 1, p. 357). New York: United Bible Societies.
I hope you can see the emphasis of intent by the author of Hebrews here. Iif you recall the song sung by Frank Sinatra, "My Way" you can get the gist of the intent of what the author meant. What is being stated is that if a person, claiming to be a Christian continuously, willfully and without regard to others, or the consequences of sins, keeps on doing that sin, THEN...

You can also see the same author using the same thought in Hebrews 6:4 in a consistent manner. He meant the same thing in both places. As a former smoker, I know what it is like to grind a cigarette butt on the sidewalk. That is the same mindset that one has who disregards, and treats the Atonement of Christ in a contemptuous manner.

Do you treat the Atonement of Christ as if it were a ground-out cigarette butt when you sin? I rather think not. Therefore that first condition does not apply to you; do not hammer yourself.

Respectfully and to make a point, I rhetorically ask you, why are you concerned about what God does to His other Children?

As a Christian, you know the goodness, love, mercy, and unmerited grace of Jesus Christ to you, right? Do you not think that He will do the same to others? Of course He will! That is His nature, and that is what we MUST trust. He will never change in His love to those whom He has called.

This is a fallacious argument to "undermine" the position that God cares for ALL His children equally, and that the believer is tattooed on the palm of God. Look at how Paul handles the sin of presumption:
1 Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.​
If you are observant, you see that Paul agrees with the Hebrews author.

I do not know about you, but I have enough trouble keeping myself out of trouble! That is why I cannot "worry" about the "other Christians" All the time, God is good, and our misunderstanding of a verse does not change that.

Finally, what do you think this verse means?
IMO
Definition of willingly = G1596
  1. voluntarily, willingly, of one's own accord
    1. to sin wilfully as opposed to sins committed inconsiderately, and from ignorance or from weakness
We are weak through temptation, through fear, through ignorance, etc.
This definition of what willfully sinning is NOT, or is opposed to, pretty much covers all sin that a person can commit. So this verse, 10:26, is not talking about normal sin, even murder.
This sin is very specific, trampling on the blood of the One who has made you holy (sanctified).
Read on down to 10:29

Heb 10:29 of how much sorer punishment shall he be counted worthy who the Son of God did trample on, and the blood of the covenant did count a common thing, in which he was sanctified, and to the Spirit of the grace did despite?

What does it mean trampling on the blood as though it is a common thing?
Act_10:14 And Peter said, `Not so, Lord; because at no time did I eat anything common or unclean;'
Act_10:15 and there is a voice again a second time unto him: `What God did cleanse, thou, declare not thou common;'
A common thing is not clean it is not holy.

If a believer were to turn against the Lord and believe that His precious blood is unclean, unholy, and common and treat it and the Spirit of grace as such, they have surely committed this sin.

Personally I believe that this scripture was spoken to the Hebrew people at that time because they were under so much persecution from the unbelieving Jews that they were in danger of losing their faith and returning to the blood of bulls and goats for atonement. The temple was still standing at this time.
I am not saying that it isn't for today as well for all believers as a warning, but this isn't something that would be done without deliberate forethought and it is directed at the Lord Himself by denying who He is and what His shed blood has done.

Back