Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Homosexuality, is it Biblical, or not.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
That's a topic that I feel is impossible to prove. It's opinion only.
I could prove it.

Transgenderism
Where did this come from?
What was its beginning?

Children growing up with two SS parents
Is this good for a child?
Do they commit more suicides?
Do they have more psychological problems?

Marriages
Does man have the right to undo what God did?
Did God intend for SSM?
How does procreation happen in a SSM?
Does it belittle a real marriage?
Yes, a real marriage - between a male and female.

Health
If I remember correctly, aids was caused by the practice of homosexuality
and has now been spread to even heterosexuals.

General Welfare
Does homosexuality promote the general welfare of a society?

Maybe there's a reason why this was an abominable sin to God.
It effects not only the person who suffers mental trauma, (and even today when it's accepted),
but all of society.

I could prove it.

Transgenderism
Where did this come from?
What was its beginning?

Children growing up with two SS parents
Is this good for a child?
Do they commit more suicides?
Do they have more psychological problems?

Marriages
Does man have the right to undo what God did?
Did God intend for SSM?
How does procreation happen in a SSM?
Does it belittle a real marriage?
Yes, a real marriage - between a male and female.

Health
If I remember correctly, aids was caused by the practice of homosexuality
and has now been spread to even heterosexuals.

General Welfare
Does homosexuality promote the general welfare of a society?

Maybe there's a reason why this was an abominable sin to God.
It effects not only the person who suffers mental trauma, (and even today when it's accepted),
but all of society.
Complex topic. But again, heavily laiden with opinions, assumptions, and equating correlation to causation.

Homosexuality per se is not mentioned in scripture. Sodomy is prohibited 🚫

If I recall correctly the original language in the NT covers any sodomy. Without getting graphic this is important because many patriarchal cultures shrugged off the conquests of manly upper class men…

But their various partners…boys men women concubines…often came from lower classes and were basically doomed to the discard heap. So…

Kind of like Jesus Christ prohibiting divorce except in very limited circumstances this is an example of rules that uplift. Women and children could often be sold off by male family members. Divorce was disastrous for women and children…

Often not a big deal for men. Laying down new rules for divorce effectively raised the status of women and children in the context of a fallen patriarchal society. And so..,

Sodomy is forbidden 🚫 and it isn’t hateful. In context it’s actually rather humane and decent…

Complex topic. But again, heavily laiden with opinions, assumptions, and equating correlation to causation.
I know for sure that there are more suicides in kids with SS parents.
I agree that it's complicated and equating action to cause is not easy, but I think the professionals know how to do this.

For me this is a topic I like to keep away from and I'll tell you why.
It's darn difficult to live without love and without someone to share your life with.
To go beyond this statement would require too much talking.
I just do believe that persons are born that way....I can't imagine anyone wanting to BE that way and face all the problems that come with it.

I heard someone from the Assy of God state that just BEING homosxl is a sin.
That's interesting. He just condemned even non-practicing to hell !

But how to reconcile?
I don't know.
I think it's part of the sin nature....we're born with problems, all of us.
Some are just more difficult to fix than others.

Did you ever hear that Mika song: Is there room in heaven for me?
It made my tear up when I first heard it because I know him.
Can't say much more.

I think my main thing is, if being gay and partaking in gay marriage is soOoOooOoo bad for society because it disrupts families, then would not chosen singleness also be? If too many people are single and don't reproduce, society fails. And yet.... the Bible speaks highly of singleness.

I think my main thing is, if being gay and partaking in gay marriage is soOoOooOoo bad for society because it disrupts families, then would not chosen singleness also be? If too many people are single and don't reproduce, society fails. And yet.... the Bible speaks highly of singleness.
It's not the same Even!
Procreating is just ONE reason for marriage.
There are more.

Secular marriage is a contract. Especially now after decades of no fault divorce I have no problem with same sex marriage contracts. I think the church ⛪️ should not affirm those unions..,
At the least.
If secular society wants this...well, it's like when the Hebrews wanted Kings. They got them alright.

But churches......
I mean
😱

This even needs to be discussed?
And the CC might be leaning that way too.
It's over at that point.
I mean for all denominations.

It's not the same Even!
Procreating is just ONE reason for marriage.
There are more.
The belief I used to hold was that gay people are called to lifelong celibacy. While I support and admire those who hold to this still, I don't think it's healthy in the long run. The Bible even says that marriage is better than burning with passion.

The belief I used to hold was that gay people are called to lifelong celibacy. While I support and admire those who hold to this still, I don't think it's healthy in the long run. The Bible even says that marriage is better than burning with passion.
Right. Well, you're commenting on my last post to you.
So go to work now.
Have a nice afternoon.
I'm cleaning up after dinner!

Yeah…

And it’s not just the gay marriage issue. Catholic leaders in so called progressive nations that are actively euthanizing people are increasingly silent. I skimmed an article recently about the billionaire takeover of the Catholic Church ⛪️ and how it will probably minimize the social justice teachings…

Let’s see…

Out of control inequality oppression of the poor and working class inhumane government and widespread corruption and immorality..,

It’s the more complete set of factors that led to the destruction of sodom and Gomorrah. The sexual immorality was an issue but not at all the only problem…

It was social decay and debauchery.

The word that has been translated to "homosexual" in this verse is a highly contested word and likely refers to the practice of owning male sex slaves. This was covered in the OP.

Which makes more sense. That practice is actually harmful to another person.
It's only highly contested by those who had already supported same sex marriages and same sex acts, and then looked for support in the Bible. Otherwise, it's actually a fairly straightforward compound word that means "male-bed" or "male-lie with," which is for a male to lie with a male. Compound words don't always mean what the two words together show, but sometimes they do, especially if it's the first time the word is used; it's rather the whole point of coining such a word, as Paul does in 1 Cor 6:9.

In the NT, adultery, incest, fornication, prostitution, and (presumably) bestiality are sins. Any sex that was not within the bounds of marriage--only ever defined as one man and one woman--was sexual immorality. It stands to reason then, that since homosexual acts were sin in the OT (Lev 18:22, 20:13), that they are still sin in the NT; and the verses which mention homosexuality in the NT actually mean just same sex acts, without any reference to male sex slaves, rape, pederasty, or sexual rites as a part of idol worship.

Note that Romans 1:26 also mentions lesbianism--"women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature" (ESV), right before mentioning male homosexual acts in the next verse. And, as mentioned previously, the context shows that that was the punishment for idolatry, long ago--God gave them over to the passions that were already in their hearts.

Being gay and even practicing gay hurts no one.
Paul says that every sin a person commits is outside his or her own body, except for sexual sin:

1Co 6:18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.
1Co 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,
1Co 6:20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. (ESV)

At the very least, sexual sin, including same sex acts, hurts oneself.

But marriage in the Bible presupposes one man and one woman, which certainly excludes every other type of relationship. If one dwells on sex too much or what they're missing out on or makes their sexuality their identity, then yes, they will burn with passion and that won't be healthy for them. However, if instead they dwell on Christ and the cross and seek him continually, all things sex become a non-issue. Christ must be the highest source of joy and fulfillment for everyone, and he will sustain them. That's what every believer is called to.

It's only highly contested by those who had already supported same sex marriages and same sex acts, and then looked for support in the Bible. Otherwise, it's actually a fairly straightforward compound word that means "male-bed" or "male-lie with," which is for a male to lie with a male. Compound words don't always mean what the two words together show, but sometimes they do, especially if it's the first time the word is used; it's rather the whole point of coining such a word, as Paul does in 1 Cor 6:9.

In the NT, adultery, incest, fornication, prostitution, and (presumably) bestiality are sins. Any sex that was not within the bounds of marriage--only ever defined as one man and one woman--was sexual immorality. It stands to reason then, that since homosexual acts were sin in the OT (Lev 18:22, 20:13), that they are still sin in the NT; and the verses which mention homosexuality in the NT actually mean just same sex acts, without any reference to male sex slaves, rape, pederasty, or sexual rites as a part of idol worship.

Note that Romans 1:26 also mentions lesbianism--"women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature" (ESV), right before mentioning male homosexual acts in the next verse. And, as mentioned previously, the context shows that that was the punishment for idolatry, long ago--God gave them over to the passions that were already in their hearts.

Paul says that every sin a person commits is outside his or her own body, except for sexual sin:

1Co 6:18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.
1Co 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,

But marriage in the Bible presupposes one man and one woman, which certainly excludes every other type of relationship. If one dwells on sex too much or what they're missing out on or makes their sexuality their identity, then yes, they will burn with passion and that won't be healthy for them. However, if instead they dwell on Christ and the cross and seek him continually, all things sex become a non-issue. Christ must be the highest source of joy and fulfillment for everyone, and he will sustain them. That's what every believer is called to.
Free, do you believe persons are born homosexual?
Or that they become that way...
I can't imagine what would make a person CHOOSE to be homosexual.

Free, do you believe persons are born homosexual?
Or that they become that way...
I can't imagine what would make a person CHOOSE to be homosexual.
I don't think it's ever a conscious choice. I believe one could be born that way, as a part of our fallen nature, or one could become that way through some experience as a child, whether remembered or not, or perhaps there is a demonic component to it for some. I don't think there is one answer for everyone who has same-sex attraction.

All of these and more have been addressed from the affirming standpoint already.

Other links used in my study:

Most frequently, arsenokoites was associated with money and exploitative sex; for example:[2]

In the Sibylline Oracle, a collection of writings from the second to the sixth centuries, arsenokoites were listed along with stealing, lying, and murder.
In the Acts of John, a document dating from the second century, arsenokoites appeared in context with robbery, cheating, and sex with shrine prostitutes.
In all translations of nonbiblical texts prior to the 1500s in which arsenokoites were used, it was most closely connected to exploitative sex for money.

Basically, the contestation of the words meaning seems to have to do with history and similar words used in other contexts, rather than the literal translation.
A modern example would be how the words "butt dial" and "booty call" would appear to mean the same thing to people who don't know English speaking culture.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back