Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How old do you have to be to be the salt of the earth or let your light shine?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Stan1953

This came up in another thread that I didn't want to address and derail, but why do some Christians think it is better to send their kids to Christian schools? Is not the biblical imperative to be the salt of the earth as Christians and let our light shine? Does that not hold true for our kids?

Dear Brother Stan, we don't send our children out, but God does in whatever environment they find themselves. I would prefer to afford them a safe and quality school if possible.

Of course a child may often be a solid witness to those around them including many in Christian schools. All attending Christian schools are not Christians, but private Christian schools normally have much better atmosphere for learning, children won’t be stigmatized for praying, and private schools are mostly known for producing higher ACT scores. It’s just my opinion but I hope the gifts God bestows on me and my children are manifest among our brethren also, and used for their good. Many of the problems found in public schools are also found in Christian schools, but there is an effort to curtail them. :shrug.

As parents, our responsibility is, in my case was, to "train up our child in the way they SHOULD go". That means we have to teach them about being the salt and light early in their lives. I understand that they have to have a personal relationship with Jesus, but their mindset starts way before that. Of course there are many other factors such as a living reality in our own lives, and getting involved with their schools, but for me bottom line is not to be afraid to go into ALL the world to bring them the light.
I really have no idea about the U.S. public school system although I have heard horror stories, but IMO, local policy has to be instigated by local influence and local Parent/Teacher relationships. The issue is NOT God in the curriculum, it is God being conveyed in the lifestyles of the student who know Him. Read 1 John 4:4 (NIV) and notice he is using the word 'children'.
It has to start somewhere. I went to public schools as did all my kids and none of us suffered in the quality of our education. More challenges, yes, but that is another aspect of learning we teach our children, how to positively respond to challenges.
I know Christian schools are not perfect, but IMO that is not the issue. Jesus Himself said he was not sent for the healthy but for the sick

@Stan 1953, I have no argument with your stand, but at the same time I do not think our children have the commission of the following scriptures:
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Wherever we send them, I am hopeful their light will shine as it were. :wave2

The problem for me was that I noticed that public schools (and all mine went there as well except for my son who due to illnesses at the time had to be homeschooled for three years (he excelled Public school standards at the end when tested according to state standards)...innundate children with two things

a) hour upon hour of drill and repetition with the neo-Darwinian perspective as opposed to (in most cases) any intelligent knowledgeable apologia on the part of their parents (Christian or not)
b) restriction on christian expression even though all others seem welcomed (even just mentioning the name Jesus can cause a firestorm)

And this can be problematic for non-pro-active parents...

Just some thoughts

This came up in another thread that I didn't want to address and derail, but why do some Christians think it is better to send their kids to Christian schools? Is not the biblical imperative to be the salt of the earth as Christians and let our light shine? Does that not hold true for our kids?
A righteous person steps are ordered by God. We are lead by the "Spirit of God". Jesus knows there is wickedness in schools. That why He sends ambassadors (children and adults) from the kingdom of God who are pure in heart. They will represent Him and speak to you through Him - Matthew 10:20 NKJV. The scriptures says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

It is God plans that your children will attend the school He has assigned.

Within the Christian school system one is much more likely to find teachers and parents who are like minded about morals and behaviors then one finds in the public school system.
I agree with what Eugene and brother Paul have pointed out, as well.

Children's minds and attitudes are not developed and it is our responsibility to lead them in the right direction. When our children spend most of the day and the year in school it is prudent to have them with people who agree with Godly behaviors.
Sunday school and children's church is all to this purpose as well.

A lot depends upon the child. Many children are very impressionable, and easily led down the wrong path by worldly teachers and classmates. Many youngsters are just not seasoned evangelists like the Apostle Paul was, at least not yet. Many children are not even saved, let alone able to evangelize their classmates.

Use wisdom. A teenager who is totally committed to the Lord may want the opportunity to evangelize worldly pagans. A younger child who is not even saved yet might be better off learning from teachers who can train them up in the way they should go. The benefit of classmates who have been so trained should also be considered.

Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character." 1 Corinthians 15:33 NIV

@Stan 1953, I have no argument with your stand, but at the same time I do not think our children have the commission of the following scriptures:
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Wherever we send them, I am hopeful their light will shine as it were. :wave2

I agree that those verses were only directed at the disciples, but it has to start somewhere.
Amen, and I believe it will.

The problem for me was that I noticed that public schools (and all mine went there as well except for my son who due to illnesses at the time had to be homeschooled for three years (he excelled Public school standards at the end when tested according to state standards)...innundate children with two things
a) hour upon hour of drill and repetition with the neo-Darwinian perspective as opposed to (in most cases) any intelligent knowledgeable apologia on the part of their parents (Christian or not)
b) restriction on christian expression even though all others seem welcomed (even just mentioning the name Jesus can cause a firestorm)
And this can be problematic for non-pro-active parents...
Just some thoughts

I concur, but the same thing can hold true for even Sunday school, so we must always be proactive when it comes to our children's education, regardless of where they are getting it.

A lot depends upon the child. Many children are very impressionable, and easily led down the wrong path by worldly teachers and classmates. Many youngsters are just not seasoned evangelists like the Apostle Paul was, at least not yet. Many children are not even saved, let alone able to evangelize their classmates.
Use wisdom. A teenager who is totally committed to the Lord may want the opportunity to evangelize worldly pagans. A younger child who is not even saved yet might be better off learning from teachers who can train them up in the way they should go. The benefit of classmates who have been so trained should also be considered.
Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character." 1 Corinthians 15:33 NIV

My experience has been that home schooled kids had the most inept social skills compared to those that went to public schools.
Again we as parents need to be proactive. The light can still shine even though younger kids may not be saved. It's all a matter of perspective and degree. I agree with 1 Cor 15:33 NIV, but that is in a totally different context and setting.

A righteous person steps are ordered by God. We are lead by the "Spirit of God". Jesus knows there is wickedness in schools. That why He sends ambassadors (children and adults) from the kingdom of God who are pure in heart. They will represent Him and speak to you through Him - Matthew 10:20 NKJV. The scriptures says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
It is God plans that your children will attend the school He has assigned.

:goodpost

My experience has been that home schooled kids had the most inept social skills compared to those that went to public schools.

I can't speak to your experience, but I would point out that for thousands of years the norm was for children to be raised by their parents on the farm, before the mandatory public school system was invented. Yet our ancestors seemed to turn out okay. Even better in fact, as evidenced by the divorce rate being higher today. I would posit that many children are just not being taught the social skills necessary for a successful marriage because of the public school system.

I can't speak to your experience, but I would point out that for thousands of years the norm was for children to be raised by their parents on the farm, before the mandatory public school system was invented. Yet our ancestors seemed to turn out okay. Even better in fact, as evidenced by the divorce rate being higher today. I would posit that many children are just not being taught the social skills necessary for a successful marriage because of the public school system.

Yes but we're not talking about history, we're talking about today and how our children can be salt and light in their own worlds.
I would posit that the divorce rate is higher because God's word tells us people's heart's will grow colder, nothing to do with education.

Instead of watching their parents lovingly interact, which teaches children how to treat their future mates, children sit and listen to someone give them a lecture for hours at a time. The primary social skill learned from this is how to sit still and be quiet all day.

Again we as parents need to be proactive. The light can still shine even though younger kids may not be saved. It's all a matter of perspective and degree. I agree with 1 Cor 15:33 NIV, but that is in a totally different context and setting.

I agree with you that home schooled kids need the interaction with other kids outside their immediate environment.
There are several ways to approach this.
4-H clubs, YMCA, dance lessons with recitals, music clubs, etc.
In my state of CO, if a child is home schooled they can also attend any classes that are available in the public school system. So they can attend say just a art class, sports, music class, woodworking, etc. So a diligent parent can make sure their child is well rounded and able to socialize with their peers and take directions from others.

We live in a very small ranching community and most of the older people live traditional life styles.
Our public school system doesn't put up with much nonsense.

Why do we send our soldiers to boot camp instead of sending them directly to war? Soldiers in the military forces need training before they are sent into battle. Should we send our kids into spiritual battle before they are trained?

The TOG​

I'm thinking its the lack of strong family influence rather than the result of public school system. We don't hold family and marriage to the high regard that God does and as a result we are falling apart as a society.

I'm thinking its the lack of strong family influence rather than the result of public school system.

There cannot be a strong family influence, if the family does not raise the children.

The public school system has been de facto raising our nation's children, for better or for worse. Once the Bible came out of the schools...

Back