Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How old do you have to be to be the salt of the earth or let your light shine?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Stan, why didn't you trust God when your school was teaching sex ed. classes?

I did. I trusted that when the proper time came I would convey to my kids what they needed to know about the subject and then let them convey that to their peers.

I guess it depends on if you are also teaching your children how to separate what people believe from who they are. It's not hard to respect people while disagreeing with what they believe, although that does frequently rear it's ugly head in public maybe Christian parents need to do a better job at teaching respect vs disagreement.

:goodpost

I guess it depends on if you are also teaching your children how to separate what people believe from who they are. It's not hard to respect people while disagreeing with what they believe, although that does frequently rear it's ugly head in public maybe Christian parents need to do a better job at teaching respect vs disagreement.
Took the words right out of my mouth. :thumbsup

I did. I trusted that when the proper time came I would convey to my kids what they needed to know about the subject and then let them convey that to their peers.

No you pulled them out of the class.
All we are saying as parents is that when we see these things being taught in regular Required classes that we too have the same opposition you did. But because it is not in a class by itself it means we may have to pull our kids out of the public school system and put them in private Christian schools or teach them at home or through an online schooling such as A Beka.

That is fine for kids that are older they can understand that concept and judge for themselves. But not so for young children.
I find your argument to be somewhat hypocritical seeing you pulled your children out of a class you didn't approve of. And yet say other parents shouldn't.

I've always felt as a parent my task was not to protect my children but my task was to teach them how to protect themselves.

I met to ask you this yesterday, just trying to understand each of your points.

Protect themselves from what?

I have never felt that locking our children into a box until they were 18 and then letting them out to fend for themselves for example was the right approach. I think our children are far more resilient and strong than we are giving them credit for. A child that has a good Christian teacher (parent) will be able to withstand a lot. In fact, I'm thinking they might be able to handle more than a typical adult because they trust their parents and God more than we adults do. Just my opinion.

No you pulled them out of the class.
All we are saying as parents is that when we see these things being taught in regular Required classes that we too have the same opposition you did. But because it is not in a class by itself it means we may have to pull our kids out of the public school system and put them in private Christian schools or teach them at home or through an online schooling such as A Beka.

NOT permanently, only until I talked to them and their teachers. I think the link I posted showed how this is done in the U.S.
Was it not accurate in it's portrayal of the U.S. school system?

That is fine for kids that are older they can understand that concept and judge for themselves. But not so for young children.
I find your argument to be somewhat hypocritical seeing you pulled your children out of a class you didn't approve of. And yet say other parents shouldn't.

How old exactly are kids learning Sex Ed in the U.S.? Is it not age appropriate? Like I said I only pulled them out until I had time to deal with them on the issue AND the teachers. I fail to see HOW I am being hypocritical? My Op is about the OVERALL schooling, not ignoring what is being taught but being proactive. Sadly you seem to not be able to differentiate between the two.:shrug

I met to ask you this yesterday, just trying to understand each of your points.

Protect themselves from what?
Could be from many things.

Physically, from harm. A simple example might be when a parent doesn't allow a child to do something like ride a bike or climb a tree. Sometimes they just need to learn where their limits are. A football player doesn't start out great. He learns what he can do and how far he can push himself. Until we let him try, he doesn't know.

As a Christian, from the dangers of worldly pleasures and influences. I've seen it too often where parents will completely block their children from experiencing any worldly influences to the point they become so naive that they become open targets to their own human desires and natural inclinations. They don't know how to lean on Jesus when necessary and so they give in too easily.

Naturally, there is a line that needs to be drawn. I am certainly no suggesting that it is more appropriate to encourage or immerse our children into harmful activities just to gain experience. What I am suggesting is that we need to allow our children to experience the world slowly while we as parents stand by to guide them and help them understand where the line is drawn and how to cope with the pressures to cross it. It won't always be perfect and that is when we, like the prodigal father, need to be ever ready to receive our children with open arms when they fall and then come back to us.

Hope I'm making sense.

How old exactly are kids learning Sex Ed in the U.S.? Is it not age appropriate? Like I said I only pulled them out until I had time to deal with them on the issue AND the teachers. I fail to see HOW I am being hypocritical? My Op is about the OVERALL schooling, not ignoring what is being taught but being proactive. Sadly you seem to not be able to differentiate between the two.:shrug
Our daughters were exposed to sex ed. in the 9th grade (about 14 years old). Before the school taught them we parents were given the opportunity to go to the school to an informational meeting where the instructors introduced us to the curriculum for the program so we knew what would be taught. It was our decision whether or not we would allow our daughters to participate in the class. It was not a required course.

Now to the point I've been trying to make. In both cases, my wife and I attended the introductory session. Our daughters graduating class is about 85 students. Take a wild guess how many parents attended the introductory session. I can count them on both hands! Keep in mind that about half of the children were represented by both parents therefore, less than 10 children were represented out of 85. We parents do not get involved enough with our children's education. We allow our schools to do whatever they want and then expect what we want.

Our daughters were exposed to sex ed. in the 9th grade (about 14 years old). Before the school taught them we parents were given the opportunity to go to the school to an informational meeting where the instructors introduced us to the curriculum for the program so we knew what would be taught. It was our decision whether or not we would allow our daughters to participate in the class. It was not a required course.
Now to the point I've been trying to make. In both cases, my wife and I attended the introductory session. Our daughters graduating class is about 85 students. Take a wild guess how many parents attended the introductory session. I can count them on both hands! Keep in mind that about half of the children were represented by both parents therefore, less than 10 children were represented out of 85. We parents do not get involved enough with our children's education. We allow our schools to do whatever they want and then expect what we want.

Well we didn't have any introduction like that but I do know the teacher told me I was the only parent concerned enough to question him. I have no idea how many Christians kids were also in those classes, but I can only surmise my kids were not the only Christian kids in those classes. In any event I can only be concerned about Christian parents. What unbelievers do is not for me to judge or comment on.

We have no control.
I apologize if I seem to be hard. But when you keep criticizing parents dealing with something different than you did....
When my kids were in school it was like you say it was with your kids. You could say no I don't want my kids to learn sex ed from you and your kid didn't go to that class for that few days.
It's different now here.
Please go check out the Common Core thread and what I post about one book in the recommended reading list for high school English.

"I want to slit your throat and watch you bleed." This statement was just repeated on the Denver News. The statement came from a 5 year old boy to a 5 year old girl. In following days the boy became physically violent. The parents went to the school, principle and teacher and nothing was done about it. The parents finally got a restraining order against the boy. There is a second family threatening to do the same thing if the school doesn't intervene."

"I want to slit your throat and watch you bleed." This statement was just repeated on the Denver News. The statement came from a 5 year old boy to a 5 year old girl. In following days the boy became physically violent. The parents went to the school, principle and teacher and nothing was done about it. The parents finally got a restraining order against the boy. There is a second family threatening to do the same thing if the school doesn't intervene."

Yeah that needs to be dealt with. I'm not sure what it's like over there but here it's difficult to correct/discipline school kids especially if the kids parents aren't cooperative. Some teachers won't work in certain areas because the parents of badly behaved kids abuse teachers that try to correct them. Not surprising really if the bad behaviour is considered acceptable at home.

Yeah that needs to be dealt with. I'm not sure what it's like over there but here it's difficult to correct/discipline school kids especially if the kids parents aren't cooperative. Some teachers won't work in certain areas because the parents of badly behaved kids abuse teachers that try to correct them. Not surprising really if the bad behaviour is considered acceptable at home.

Last year, second grade, Jake was deliberately kicked in the head because he tried to break up a fight on the playground. The two boys pushed him on the ground and kicked him. One of the girls saw what was happening and got a teacher.
The boy who kicked him in the head, his mother is the sixth grade teacher at our school. I'm sure she was appalled at his behavior and he was disciplined. The other boy comes from a rowdy family.
It's hard for good parents to manage who their kids are hanging out with and being influenced by.

We have no control.
I apologize if I seem to be hard. But when you keep criticizing parents dealing with something different than you did....
When my kids were in school it was like you say it was with your kids. You could say no I don't want my kids to learn sex ed from you and your kid didn't go to that class for that few days.
It's different now here.
Please go check out the Common Core thread and what I post about one book in the recommended reading list for high school English.

I'm exhorting, not criticizing. I asked a question in the OP, from a Biblical perspective. You seem to think you can control what happens in the lives of your kids or grandkids by sheltering them and IMO the Bible does NOT teach that. I'm sure Mary didn't like what Jesus did either, and even though that is an extreme example the fact holds true that only God has full control and we are best to follow His instructions if we expect Him to keep us and our families under His wings. This seems to be much more of an issue for women than men, but it doesn't make it any less applicable because of motherly instinct IMO.
I'm not understanding what you are saying about my kids in school. My kids went to school between 1989 and 2005, and I prepared them all. I don't know what you are not clear on?
Did you not read the link I provided in post 60? I'll post it here again.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-policies-on-sex-education-in-schools.aspx

I'm pretty sure, as in most forums, it is not kosher to cross post so IF you have something of relevance, feel free to post it here, otherwise I would like to minimize going off topic.

Here, that boy would be immediately removed and put into a special class and dealt with through child protective services. Again this is an extreme case that is NOT typical of everyday school life in most schools even in the U.S. There are always bad apples and there will always be bad teachers or admins. That is the reason ALL parent should stay aware of goes on with their children in school. This parent did exactly what he should have done to deal with the situation. I would have to say that Kenosha, Wisconsin would not be considered by many to be a place of normal delinquency in the public school sector.

I'm exhorting, not criticizing. I asked a question in the OP, from a Biblical perspective. You seem to think you can control what happens in the lives of your kids or grandkids by sheltering them and IMO the Bible does NOT teach that. I'm sure Mary didn't like what Jesus did either, and even though that is an extreme example the fact holds true that only God has full control and we are best to follow His instructions if we expect Him to keep us and our families under His wings. This seems to be much more of an issue for women than men, but it doesn't make it any less applicable because of motherly instinct IMO.
I'm not understanding what you are saying about my kids in school. My kids went to school between 1989 and 2005, and I prepared them all. I don't know what you are not clear on?
Did you not read the link I provided in post 60? I'll post it here again.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-policies-on-sex-education-in-schools.aspx

I'm pretty sure, as in most forums, it is not kosher to cross post so IF you have something of relevance, feel free to post it here, otherwise I would like to minimize going off topic.

Only "Three states require parental consent before a child can receive instruction."

We have never had any problem that I know of where it is not kosher to suggest someone read another thread on this forum.

Would you consider it sex ed. to be reading books in English that contain explicit sex?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back