Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How's your weather today, where you live?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
this: Sounds like he did vacation there often. (As well as in Key West...) I'd like to visit the Truman Library some day.
http://www.trumanlittlewhitehouse.com/key-west/former-president-truman-visits.htm
From August 16 to September 2, 1946, President Truman tried to rest by sailing to Hamilton, Bermuda. Unfortunately for the President, rough seas left him seasick and not too rested. By late fall, the President had developed a lingering cold that seemed to be getting worse. Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz, having just inspected the Key West Naval Station, suggested Quarters A in Key West as a secure, warm retreat. The President came for a week of relaxation and promised to return. Return he did for a total of eleven presidential working vacations and five post- presidential trips. Truman claimed Key West was his second favorite place on earth, only surpassed by his hometown of Independence, Missouri.
And I hope you get to see the Truman Library one day. It is an amazingly candid, honest look at the man I think was the best president since Lincoln. Today? He'd be a Republican.

It's starting to warm up here too. I expect to be down to a t-shirt within 4 or 5 months. :wave

Floods and tornadoes in parts of Eastern Australia. We're only getting heavy rains and flashflooding in Sydney where I am, but further up north it's pretty bad. Prayers would be greatly appreciated.

[video=youtube;P0Dd-GqTrVI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Dd-GqTrVI[/video]

Kansas City: Cloudy, rain, 57. Cold front moving in this afternoon, snow tonight after we have had tornado and thunderstorm warning this morning. "If you don't like the weather in Kansas City, give it five minutes -- it'll change." (Harry Truman)

@ Grazer: Mizzou and the University of Oklahoma both have storm chaser programs, if you are anywhere close to either. I've been a couple times with certified storm chasers. It's kinda fun!

Kansas City: Cloudy, rain, 57. Cold front moving in this afternoon, snow tonight after we have had tornado and thunderstorm warning this morning. "If you don't like the weather in Kansas City, give it five minutes -- it'll change." (Harry Truman)

@ Grazer: Mizzou and the University of Oklahoma both have storm chaser programs, if you are anywhere close to either. I've been a couple times with certified storm chasers. It's kinda fun!

I live in England so kinda no lol

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Same. I feel silly for that desire, especially after Nick's post, but I'd really love to see a tornado.
Or to experience an earthquake.
Seeing a tornado can be a tame experience, if it's far away. I'm not sure there's a way to experience an earthquake without putting yourself in harm's way. And the people of California and Japan would probably gladly forego the experience every time they have one. :biggrin

Seeing a tornado can be a tame experience, if it's far away.
Yeah I guess it's a very locally limited danger. But I imagine chasing a storm would get you a bit closer to it. They look so amazing and unpredictable. I bet they are loud, too.

I'm not sure there's a way to experience an earthquake without putting yourself in harm's way. And the people of California and Japan would probably gladly forego the experience every time they have one. :biggrin
I know, it's silly to wish for that kind of experience. :oops It's like spitting into the faces of the people that have lost their homes or loved ones to earth quakes.
But there's that evil little voice in my head telling me that experiencing extreme things are necessary for me to feel alive. Ahh good thing I will be seeing a shrink soon.

Same. I feel silly for that desire, especially after Nick's post, but I'd really love to see a tornado.
Or to experience an earthquake.

I live in Southern California, and earthquakes are quite common here. I live in an area where we are far enough away from the faults where it's unlikely to be dangerous, but still able to feel them clearly. It's quite a weird experience to be honest, feeling the ground on your feet literally rolling like a carpet.

Yeah I guess it's a very locally limited danger. But I imagine chasing a storm would get you a bit closer to it. They look so amazing and unpredictable. I bet they are loud, too.
Strangely enough, no, not until they hit the ground. Until then, they are quiet as a mouse. It's the wind's interaction with the earth that makes it sound like a freight train.

But there's that evil little voice in my head telling me that experiencing extreme things are necessary for me to feel alive.
I think you should have been a combat helicopter pilot. :biggrin

Seeing a tornado can be a tame experience, if it's far away. I'm not sure there's a way to experience an earthquake without putting yourself in harm's way. And the people of California and Japan would probably gladly forego the experience every time they have one. :biggrin

I saw one once and that was enough for me. Back in 2002 we hired a contractor to put a new roof and siding on our old farm house. They stripped off the old siding and put on a house wrap. That night at about 4:00am I awoke to thunder in the distance so I got up and closed the windows. I was laying there listening to the approaching storm with flashes of light and the crash of thunder. Everything seemed normal until I began to realize that the thunder had a different sound. It was continuous rather than being timed with the lightning. I got up to look out the window. From our bedroom window we can see pretty good because our security light illuminates the lawn quite well. Now, I was not fully awake and so please forgive my ignorance as I share this but I recall looking out that window and seeing the debris of leaves and dust blowing in the wind in a large arch and then lifting upward. The maple and walnut trees on our lawn were laid steady at about a 30 degree angle to the earth and I recall thinking to myself, "What a huge dust devil." Then my wits came around and I realized I was looking at a vortex right over our front lawn! I woke my wife and we each grabbed a kid and headed toward the basement from our second floor bedrooms.

Sitting in our basement I have never heard wind like that before. Suddenly we saw water running down along our basement walls and heard a crash from overhead. I was certain that our house would be removed from above us. All I could think of was to pray to God for protection. The wind howled, and I mean howled, for about three minutes then it got deadly silent for a minute or two and then the wind came again for a few minutes before it was over. I told my family that we heard the eye go over us. Well, I'm still here to attest that God did protect us.

The crash we heard was the contractor's scaffolding being knocked over. There was one big willow tree that was twisted 180 degrees about half way up and our main floor was covered in water. Not one window was broken so the only thing we could figure to explain the water was that the storm blew the rain right through the walls since we had not siding to cover them from the outside.

That was as close to any twister I ever hope to be again!

I have had two experiences with earthquakes while living in Southern California. The first was at about 1am. I had just turned off my computer and got into bed (I was living alone at the time) and suddenly my monitor blinked on again. As I was thinking about how odd that was I noticed the scale models I had hanging from fishing wire from my ceiling were swaying in circles. Then the pool in the middle of the apartment complex sounded like it was trying to empty itself.

That one wasn't too big, but lasted longer than the second one.

The second one happened when myself and a few other people were taking an exam in the boardroom of the company I was working for at the time. While we were sitting there we all felt a slight jolt, at which point we a looked up at each other thinking, "what just happened?" The conference table was made of solid redwood, so you can imagine how heavy it was. Well, a few seconds later this redwood table literally jumped off of the floor an inch or two. Some of us dove under the table while other ran out into the hallway intent on running outside.

It is these moments you find out quickly who know, and who do not know, what to do during an earthquake. Here is a little tip: you NEVER run out of a building during an earthquake. You find a reasonably safe place to wait it out, then leave the building once it is over. The reason for this? Many of the buildings built within the past couple of decades in that area are made with cement outer walls that are designed to fall OUTWARDS during an earthquake. Which means if you are running out of the building during the earthquake there is a good possibility you could become a stain on the pavement under a rather heavy concrete wall.

So the moral to this little story is, if you are looking forward to becoming jelly in the parking lot, by all means, run out of the building during an earthquake.

As an aside, this is also why I do not park near a building, either.

I live in Southern California, and earthquakes are quite common here. I live in an area where we are far enough away from the faults where it's unlikely to be dangerous, but still able to feel them clearly. It's quite a weird experience to be honest, feeling the ground on your feet literally rolling like a carpet.

I bet it's a bit like living in an old building next to a road where many big trucks travel by.

So Southern California would be the place for an earth quake chaser? The weather is probably awesome there, too.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back