Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Infant Baptism.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
[1] We are still born with the sin nature. NO! That ended with Jesus who became the Last Adam.
[2] We are not condemned because of the old nature. We who have been born again, have a new nature. Jesus not only took the condemnation for that original sin, but He did away with the one with the old nature. We died with Him on Calvarys cross. We were buried with Him, and we arose with Him as new creations, In Him.
[3] We are the Righteousness of God, In Christ Jesus. Righteousness is a part of our new natures In Christ. And if we sin, we can go to Him, confess our sin to Him, and He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin, and cleanse us from all " unrighteousness. 1 John 2
And righteousness is equated to the Brides wedding dress. Rev.19:7,8
From what I know, which ain't much,
Righteous means to be right with God.

As to the sin nature. If it's been abolished that means we are born pure as the fresh snow.

So what makes us sin?

Once again I ask, please give ONE passage where the context containing belief or its equivalent and baptism are NOT in the order of belief first, baptism second.
God bless
Pick any one of them.
NONE of them MUST be understood to prescribe that belief MUST come before baptism.
For an adult, who make his own choices, of course he will believe before he is baptized.
BUT: that does not invalidate the practice of infant baptism any more than Jewish parents having their male child circumcised on the eighth day after being born invalidated their entrance into the covenant community of God.

I always figured that infant baptism was more of a dedication by the parents .. John 3:5 tells us we must be born of water and Spirit .. I figured every one is born of water as in like when a mothers water breaks as birth pains increase . We need to repent then be baptized when we're old enough to understand the gospel and want to be saved .. I led my sons in salvation prayer when they were probably 5 and 7 It was very serious and they were very willing .. That Sunday they both walked the aisle together to make a public profession and I had no idea they were going to do it, I never even told them they should . I've never been prouder in my life .. Thank you Lord Jesus again ..

I always figured that infant baptism was more of a dedication by the parents .. John 3:5 tells us we must be born of water and Spirit .. I figured every one is born of water as in like when a mothers water breaks as birth pains increase . We need to repent then be baptized when we're old enough to understand the gospel and want to be saved .. I led my sons in salvation prayer when they were probably 5 and 7 It was very serious and they were very willing .. That Sunday they both walked the aisle together to make a public profession and I had no idea they were going to do it, I never even told them they should . I've never been prouder in my life .. Thank you Lord Jesus again ..
As I stated earlier in the thread, water baptism replaces circumcision.

What's the difference between BELIEVING in Christ and knowing Christ?
What does believe mean?
You sound a little gnostic.
I agree with your last sentence.
But only when HE wants it to be.

[1] Difference in " Believing " vs " Knowing "... I can believe that if I flip a light switch a light will come on or off. Knowing is when I actually flip the switch...
In the OT Israel knew Gods reality, had prayers answered, heard from Him through the Prophets, but they never Knew God. And from the very beginnings that is all He ever wanted, that through dealing with them they would come to really KNOW Him.

Then what is the purpose of baptism?

Good question .. Unless it is a definite time and place that you can point to in your life where you performed a ceremony fulfilling what Jesus did and suggested .. A symbol of being reborn emerging a new man perhaps or just acting on your faith that God can answer like many other things done in faith.. Some folks seemed to emerge speaking tongues at times .. I was born again for a few years before I spoke in tongues and my wife never has ..

Last edited:
Before this thread degrades into a Catholic/Protestant skirmish, please keep the RCC out of this. Baptizing infants isn't exclusive to the RCC, so this discussion can and should focus on this practice alone. As it says in the ToS, RCC discussions are restricted to One-on-one Debates and End Times.

Do not reply to this message.

As to the sin nature. If it's been abolished that means we are born pure as the fresh snow.

So what makes us sin?

Right! We that are born of God, are right with God, through Christ. " we are the righteousness of God, In Christ Jesus!
Right again. Born brand new creations, IN CHRIST!
When we do things that are not from the new nature, unrighteousness prevail. And all unrighteousness is sin!

The very Spirit of Christ is IN US through the receiving of His Spirit. Spirit baptism. " Greater is He who dwells in me, than he who is in the world!" " It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me!"

Water baptism is a baptism for repentance...... so says Paul in Acts 19. So unless a babe has something to repent from, it is not required.
I would agree.

The churches that Peter started and Paul started, that took place in peoples houses.
The first church was the body of believers in Jesus and his teachings.

Too often it is thought that "the rock" in Matthew 16 is referring to Peter, "Petrus = Rock". However, it is not. It is a miscommunication and a matter of translations and grammar differences that make it appear so. Jesus was referring to himself, as the Old Testament referred to our Lord as the rock.
Jesus came to save the world with his good news. He wouldn't build his church upon a mere mortal man. That would be like unto idolatry.

Psalm 78:35 And they remembered that God was their rock, And the Most High God their Redeemer.
Psalm 144:1Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle;

Good question .. Unless it is a definite time and place that you can point to in your life where you performed a ceremony fulfilling what Jesus did and suggested .. A symbol of being reborn emerging a new man perhaps or just acting on your faith that God can answer like many other things done in faith.. Some folks seemed to emerge speaking tongues at times .. I was born again for a few years before I spoke in tongues and my wife never has ..

If she has the Spirit, she can speak in tongues if she wants to. It is the one way we can pray the perfect will of the Lord, and with the interpretation we can learn how to pray as we should. Rom.8 :26

So what makes us sin?

Dear Wondering, if you would read 1 John through, you would see what it is we should know about being IN CHRIST.

Pick any one of them.
NONE of them MUST be understood to prescribe that belief MUST come before baptism.
For an adult, who make his own choices, of course he will believe before he is baptized.
BUT: that does not invalidate the practice of infant baptism any more than Jewish parents having their male child circumcised on the eighth day after being born invalidated their entrance into the covenant community of God.

I take this as an admission that in each reference given you admit that belief precedes baptism. Fine, thats the Bible order. Now show any example whatsoever for infant baptism, can you do that? If so, you have a case.

Edited

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Wondering, if you would read 1 John through, you would see what it is we should know about being IN CHRIST.
1 Corinthians 15:22.
Our mortal fleshly egocentric nature makes us natural born sinners. We don't inherit the sin of Adam, rather we are removed from the divine state that Adam and Eve once had prior to falling from that, or God's grace.
Jesus is the last Adam. Meaning we died in our sins due to the first Adam and in Christ we are made alive , returning to the grace of our Father.

1 Corinthians 15:22.
Our mortal fleshly egocentric nature makes us natural born sinners. We don't inherit the sin of Adam, rather we are removed from the divine state that Adam and Eve once had prior to falling from that, or God's grace.
Jesus is the last Adam. Meaning we died in our sins due to the first Adam and in Christ we are made alive , returning to the grace of our Father.

Old things have passed away, all things have become new! 2 Cor.5: 17 Wherefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature: the old things are passed away; behold, they are become new.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back