Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Internet Explorer

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This may fall of stubborn ears, but you really should seriously consider using a different browser. IE not only is a resource hog, but it has many security issues. Most, if not all, of the other browsers are better than IE in their own ways. I have used Firefox in the past, but found it did get bogged down a bit, so I finally switched over to Chrome and never looked back.

The only unfortunate thing for me is I am forced to use IE at work for many things because a lot of web based systems still are built for IE (ridiculous, I know), but that is the burden I bear. I personally look forward to the day I never have to use any form of IE.

By the way, if you are using gmail as your email account, they do offer a free pop3 access, which means you can link it up to email client software like Thunderbird. I have used it in the past, but stopped once I started having to access my email account from multiple computers here and there.

My IE has been fixed.See post #18.But I can't get on my Google e-mail now.See post # 19.Any idea what they want?Are cookies supposed to be cleared or enabled? :confused

This may fall of stubborn ears, but you really should seriously consider using a different browser. IE not only is a resource hog, but it has many security issues. Most, if not all, of the other browsers are better than IE in their own ways. I have used Firefox in the past, but found it did get bogged down a bit, so I finally switched over to Chrome and never looked back.

The only unfortunate thing for me is I am forced to use IE at work for many things because a lot of web based systems still are built for IE (ridiculous, I know), but that is the burden I bear. I personally look forward to the day I never have to use any form of IE.

By the way, if you are using gmail as your email account, they do offer a free pop3 access, which means you can link it up to email client software like Thunderbird. I have used it in the past, but stopped once I started having to access my email account from multiple computers here and there.
Why would it fall on stubborn ears?I am not stubborn.I think being stubborn is prideful and allows a person to stumble in their faith with God.I am using Firefox mostly now.IE does work now but it is very slow.

You are using Vista which is a resource hog, and when is the last time you did any maintenance like defrag and getting rid of old not in use stuff. There are some programs to correct many things that is wrong and they are free, but I don't know if you can use them because you are not computer savvy enough. I don't mean that in a bad way.

You are using Vista which is a resource hog, and when is the last time you did any maintenance like defrag and getting rid of old not in use stuff. There are some programs to correct many things that is wrong and they are free, but I don't know if you can use them because you are not computer savvy enough. I don't mean that in a bad way.
I might saw that I have been negligent in running an anti-malware scan on my computer.I have Emsisoft.I have just moved and I have been busy so I have neglected that for about 2 months.When I scanned it yesterday it said I had a couple of very serious threats to my computer.But by the time I detected that the damage was done.I will make sure and do it once or twice a week from now on.

I might saw that I have been negligent in running an anti-malware scan on my computer.I have Emsisoft.I have just moved and I have been busy so I have neglected that for about 2 months.When I scanned it yesterday it said I had a couple of very serious threats to my computer.But by the time I detected that the damage was done.I will make sure and do it once or twice a week from now on.
Have you installed RegscrubVista and Adaware or Spybot and run them? Without scrubbing the registry it will get slower and slower. And do not download Regscrub from anywhere but MajorGeeks or Cnet Downloads, most of the others have had malware inserted.

I just wish she would try it and she will be amazed at the number of errors that are sitting there. i have never done one as old as her system but the last one I did was only 6 months after the fresh install and I ran RegScrub and removed over 800 registry errors. When I still ran windoze I never did mine with less than fifty in any week. I was so religious about Saturday Maintenance that I drove people nuts but mine never slowed on me either.

She is receiving advise from a good set of Techs but like so many, it appears that she has been drawn into believing paid is always better than free.

Have you installed RegscrubVista and Adaware or Spybot and run them? Without scrubbing the registry it will get slower and slower. And do not download Regscrub from anywhere but MajorGeeks or Cnet Downloads, most of the others have had malware inserted.
I am just going with my Avast Premier and my anti-malware.But I noticed while the tech was working on my computer he was doing a Registry clean.Hmmm :confused can that cause a problem?

There are so many good free programs out there. I think when she gets more comfortable with certain things, I think that Kathi will be alright taylor.

I am just going with my Avast Premier and my anti-malware.But I noticed while the tech was working on my computer he was doing a Registry clean.Hmmm :confused can that cause a problem?
That depends on what tool he used, so many look good and back when I was more active I would test all the freeware for windoze maintenance but it always was measured against Regscrub. And with regscrub you just use three buttons, making it idiot proof. You click regscrub Finds Problems and when it stops and shows the list and the number you look to the bottom and click Sellect All and then Fix Problems. I never, ever, had it cause any issues but it always runs faster and after you reboot, it runs a bit faster, yet.

There are so many good free programs out there. I think when she gets more comfortable with certain things, I think that Kathi will be alright taylor.
I agree. The problem is that most people think geeky things are tough... but, not true.

I am a total novice when it comes to computers.If I get too cocky I always end up messing something up.

Kathi you can do it
computer_bash.gif

Just follow the advice on this thread. Not only will we save your sanity, but your money as well. Everything you are currently paying someone to do can be accomplished by downloading and installing the programs that have been suggested, for free.

I am a total novice when it comes to computers.If I get too cocky I always end up messing something up.
As Lewis said, been there, done that, also. But, if your system came with a DVD from MS, you're covered and if not, get your kids to make you back up disk, all the way down to ten or less, many children know it is simple. And all of the programs suggested in this string are aimed at the novice but used by techs.

My favorite browser is internet explorer.It was frozen this morning.Would not work at all.Anyone else having problems with it?I am now on firefox but I don't like it as well.It is more difficult for me to navigate with.
I used to use Google Chrome, however I now use Internet Explorer as my main browser; I think it is much more stable than it used to be.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back