Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Being Against Tatoos the Law?

Should Christians Have Tatoos?

• Yes

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Pontius Pilate (I wash my hands)

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Don't be silly!

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It's not the Baptist thing to do!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Church of the Enlightened Path does it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
..I will get it changed one day. Find a good artist who can use what it already is and change it into something different.
[MENTION=94669]kiwidan[/MENTION]:

People have been talking about getting rid of tattoos, which can be painful, expensive and problematic.

Like you say, changing a regretted tattoo can often be the better option, right?

1 Samuel 16.7, right?

The whole motivation for getting one, e.g., in a faith based design, for example, is also relevant.

Blessings.

So it was, when they came, that he looked at Eliab and said, “Surely the Lord’s anointed is before Him!”
7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
8 So Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before Samuel.

And he said, “Neither has the Lord chosen this one.”

9 Then Jesse made Shammah pass by. And he said, “Neither has the Lord chosen this one.”

10 Thus Jesse made seven of his sons pass before Samuel. And Samuel said to Jesse, “The Lord has not chosen these.” 11 And Samuel said to Jesse, “Are all the young men here?” Then he said, “There remains yet the youngest, and there he is, keeping the sheep.”

And Samuel said to Jesse, “Send and bring him. For we will not sit down till he comes here.” 12 So he sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, with bright eyes, and good-looking. And the Lord said, “Arise, anoint him; for this is the one!” 13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel arose and went to Ramah.

:chin ruddy, bright eyes and good-looking... <---- That was said about the chosen, the youngest (we know who this is) in the context

But do not regard his appearance, for the Lord looks upon hearts. <----- This was said about the guy everybody thought would be chosen.

Right? Do you think that any were guilty of breaking the Deut prohibition? I didn't see that part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coffeecup2.jpg

First clean the outside of the cup, I tell you. The buildup on the inside enhances the flavor.
~Book of Opinions 3:16

W've listened to discussion regarding "faith based tattoos" and have heard statements about how a person could use this to witness to others.

We've spoken about the relationship of the stronger brother toward the weaker.

Today I hear you quote the Book of Samuel to say that Man looks at appearances. Clearly this is not the best argument for your position. Who is the 'witness' of a faith-based tat for? Man who looks toward the outside, right?

As you say, having a tat removed is costly, perhaps painful and/or problematic. The total cost would include a necessary change of heart from the inner man outward else it would count for nothing.

Remember, it is the heart you’re to be looking on. If one is caught without words, the following examples ought to start conversation xxxxx! Wait, have you heard of John 3:16? Get away from me you freak! Oh, let them which are without sin cast the first stone. This sort of makes me wonder if this is really what Paul had in mind when he spoke the following scripture? 1 Cor 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Did Paul also get high every night to reach drunks? Good stuff huh? :biggrinunno

body_piercing_01.jpg

body_piercing_16.jpg

body_piercing_18.jpg

body_piercing_27.jpg

body_piercing_40.jpg

Remember, it is the heart you’re to be looking on. If one is caught without words, the following examples ought to start conversation xxxxx! Wait, have you heard of John 3:16? Get away from me you freak! Oh, let them which are without sin cast the first stone. This sort of makes me wonder if this is really what Paul had in mind when he spoke the following scripture? 1 Cor 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Did Paul also get high every night to reach drunks? Good stuff huh? :biggrinunno

body_piercing_01.jpg

body_piercing_16.jpg

body_piercing_18.jpg

body_piercing_27.jpg

body_piercing_40.jpg

i) Extreme photos.

ii) Because extreme, not particularly meaningful to whatever point is supposedly being advanced.

Blessings.

I don't know how you think this somehow makes tattooing okay for the church. The world does it, and does it a lot, (and for the worst of ungodly reasons), so the church should adopt the practice, too? That's some pretty distorted logic.

You gotta admit...he makes a good point here. Since when has the majority ever been right? People use this excuse a lot. that everyone is doing it.

That's usually a red flag for me to stay away from it.

A majority of people are right handed. But if this is therefore wrong, supposedly, then this is a non sequitur.

Let's treat people as individuals and not futher lump together other people's assumptions onto whoever we may be disagreeing with.

Blessings.

A majority of people are right handed. But if this is therefore wrong, supposedly, then this is a non sequitur.

That, my brother, is an extreme analogy. You're reaching...

Do you own a tattoo parlor or something? You seem awfully, uh preoccupied with tattoos.

The essential aspect, of course, is whether something is wrong.

(No, I don't.)

Blessings.

i) Extreme photos.

ii) Because extreme, not particularly meaningful to whatever point is supposedly being advanced.
You seem to just be judging. Have you looked on their hearts? To me any tattoo or piercing is extreme, but is that you posing in the following image? And just what do you find extreme about it?
body_piercing_40.jpg

i) Extreme photos.

You seem to just be judging. Have you looked on their hearts? To me any tattoo or piercing is extreme, but is that you posing in the following image? And just what do you find extreme about it?
body_piercing_40.jpg

Not claiming to see their hearts, but on the Richter scale of the widespread to the unusual, most people would agree that these designs rend rather to the unsual.

My point is, it's hard to equate benign, faith related designs, or the low key, neutral designs that so many people have, with these rather unusual ones. This would seem a reasonable view which would be widely perceived.

Blessings.

uhm many women have long hair . they just put in rolls to meet the regs.
[MENTION=11841]jasoncran[/MENTION]: Off the collar, I guess, according to the regulations. I can see that there does have to be some kind of restraint about tattoos (especially re. some of the more extreme sort that [MENTION=90512]Eugene[/MENTION] has posted, which are not the norm at all). I wonder about whether a total ban would be either feasible or desirable, though. Blessings.

[MENTION=11841]jasoncran[/MENTION]: Off the collar, I guess, according to the regulations. I can see that there does have to be some kind of restraint about tattoos (especially re. some of the more extreme sort that [MENTION=90512]Eugene[/MENTION] has posted, which are not the norm at all). I wonder about whether a total ban would be either feasible or desirable, though. Blessings.
the army and air force did it for decades. it wasn't lifted until the early 2000's

@jasoncran : Off the collar, I guess, according to the regulations. I can see that there does have to be some kind of restraint about tattoos (especially re. some of the more extreme sort that @Eugene has posted, which are not the norm at all). I wonder about whether a total ban would be either feasible or desirable, though. Blessings.
the army and air force did it for decades. it wasn't lifted until the early 2000's
@jasoncran : Well, I see.

Do you think that at a time when tattooing is rapidly becoming more and more widepread, reimposing a blanket ban would be feasible?

reimposing a blanket ban would be feasible?

God does have that authority, He writes upon hearts but only upon the hearts that have been given ears to hear and eyes to see. Feasible? Even regarding the unwilling, for God, all things are. Do not mistake His power in this.

If there is room now?
See Post #254 for the less extreme image. ;)

:bump

First clean the outside of the cup, I tell you. The buildup on the inside enhances the flavor.

We've listened to discussion regarding "faith based tattoos" and have heard statements about how a person could use this to witness to others.

Today I hear you quote the Book of Samuel to say that Man looks at appearances. Clearly this is not the best argument for your position. Who is the 'witness' of a faith-based tat for? Man who looks toward the outside, right?

As you say, having a tat removed is costly, perhaps painful and/or problematic. The total cost would include a necessary change of heart from the inner man outward else it would count for nothing.

reimposing a blanket ban would be feasible?

God does have that authority, He writes upon hearts but only upon the hearts that have been given ears to hear and eyes to see. Feasible? Even regarding the unwilling, for God, all things are. Do not mistake His power in this.

If there is room now?
See Post #254 for the less extreme image. ;)

:bump

We've listened to discussion regarding "faith based tattoos" and have heard statements about how a person could use this to witness to others.

@Sparrowhawke :

I know what you mean. I was actually referring to blanket bans in specific branches of the military as per @jasoncran 's previous post.

But, yes, indeed, we have a gloriously omnipotent God.

Blessings.

My point is, it's hard to equate benign, faith related designs, or the low key, neutral designs that so many people have

There's an old hymn by Fanny Crosby, "Take the world, but give me Jesus". We don't have to be as the world taking ink and nose bones to become a part of the crowd.

My point is, it's hard to equate benign, faith related designs, or the low key, neutral designs that so many people have

There's an old hymn by Fanny Crosby, "Take the world, but give me Jesus". We don't have to be as the world taking ink and nose bones to become a part of the crowd.

Well I agree.

But I don't deny that the message communicated by some tattoo designs may well be effective in some people's witness.

Blessings.

But I don't deny that the message communicated by some tattoo designs may well be effective in some people's witness.
I would near bet there are more turned away by such as offensive or phony than ever brought to Christ. There is the acceptable, good, and perfect will of God and we should be growing up unto the place of separation through grace and knowledge of our Lord; not gimmicks. Do you personally know of scripture that even hints we should get ink? Blessings brother.

I love Fanny Crosby! Sometimes when I'm doing the worship service I have our music director do an all Crosby day, every hymn a Crosby hymn.

My favorites are "Pass Me Not O Gentle Savior", "Blessed Assurance", and "I Am Thine Oh Lord."

I love Fanny Crosby! Sometimes when I'm doing the worship service I have our music director do an all Crosby day, every hymn a Crosby hymn.

My favorites are "Pass Me Not O Gentle Savior", "Blessed Assurance", and "I Am Thine Oh Lord."
Thank you brother. That got me Googling several of her 8000+ songs that take a good portion of many Christian songbooks. Blind from near birth God had given her words of inspiration that just instilled heartfelt worship glorifying God. What a blessing she has been to my life pointing me to Jesus in song. I reckon she could have had tattoos all over as common on sailors of her day, though I doubt they would have been as effective. :)

@jasoncran : Off the collar, I guess, according to the regulations. I can see that there does have to be some kind of restraint about tattoos (especially re. some of the more extreme sort that @Eugene has posted, which are not the norm at all). I wonder about whether a total ban would be either feasible or desirable, though. Blessings.
@jasoncran : Well, I see.

Do you think that at a time when tattooing is rapidly becoming more and more widepread, reimposing a blanket ban would be feasible?

it has been for some time. I was stationed in some liberal areas and remember that the western states do tend or any large city any where in the us will have larger proportion of tattoos persons and yet the army and so forth for decades and even when it took off. they allowed and now are rethinking it. the images above have been seen in the army to a lesser degree.ie studs and so forth. people remove them and they off duty they put them back in this is causing an issue. you cant just deny any of the above if you allow any tattoo that is visible outside the uniform. I must correct myself they wont allow tattoos on the neck,wrists and other areas not covered by uniforms. this is what they did.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back