Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Being Against Tatoos the Law?

Should Christians Have Tatoos?

• Yes

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Pontius Pilate (I wash my hands)

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Don't be silly!

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It's not the Baptist thing to do!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Church of the Enlightened Path does it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
[MENTION=8274]Nick[/MENTION]: So how's your brother doing now? is he feeling less sore after going under the inking needle?

Blessings.
Yeah, it's going well.
[MENTION=8274]Nick[/MENTION]:

Going well; great.

It was a big one, but he'll get over the healing soreness. Don't be surprised if he eventually starts talking about a bit more ink - maybe again to honor his family (hard for your mom and dad not to feel honored).

Blessings.

Folk, this is what we were talking about, (excuse me cutting and and pasting from a previous post; sorry it's so big).

The calligraphy is good and "Family" certainly links in generally with Christianity:

farouk, pardon my correction here, but and I'm pretty sure that what you mean to say is "Now that is what I'm talking about," because I would not want to think that you'd seek to dismiss the several pages of discussion and work that has been given by so many members here as casually as your comment may sound to some (including me).

Right?

farouk, pardon my correction here, but and I'm pretty sure that what you mean to say is "Now that is what I'm talking about," because I would not want to think that you wanted to dismiss the several pages of discussion that has been put toward this discussion by so many members here as casually it it may to be suggested.

Right?

With maybe ambiguous grammar on my part, I was simply referring to the previous post...

Blessings.

With maybe ambiguous grammar on my part, I was simply referring to the previous post...

so you would agree that you did not intend to dismiss the thoughts and opinions of others just because they do not align with yours.

Thank you for that! ;)

PS: regarding the 'Family' tattoo in question, there does seem to be a strong 'family' theme among some Christians.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by name="Jeni Ruth"
I guess for our family the question of whether or not to be tattooed was already made as I had 12 tats and my hubby had 4 when we were first saved. Certainly the style and reason for our tats changed after being saved. Five of our 6 kids are also inked [ages 28-35] ..(from Christian hyphen tattoos dot com )

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Beth Smith
My two daughters, 18 and 17, want to get matching heart tattoos ..
We have even talked about all getting tattoos together. When my youngest turns 18, my oldest will be 19 and I will be 49. I would definitely have a cross with scripture. Here are a few of my favorite scriptures:
James 2:13
Mercy triumphs over judgment.
Romans 12:12
Be joyful in hope,
patient in affliction,
faithful in prayer.
Philippians 1:19
God bless,
Beth (from lauraleighparker dot com )

Like, seems as if it's a means of expression regularly adopted among Christians on a family basis.

Blessings.

so you would agree that you did not intend to dismiss the thoughts and opinions of others just because they do not align with yours.

Thank you for that! ;)

YW. No, didn't mean that at all. Or this at all. This/that: I guess usage varies (not least up here in Canada...)

Blessings.

I was stationed in some liberal areas and remember that the western states do tend or any large city any where in the us will have larger proportion of tattoos persons and yet the army and so forth for decades and even when it took off. they allowed and now are rethinking it.
[MENTION=11841]jasoncran[/MENTION]: Interesting; I guess that the same could be said that in some areas a greater proportion of people in church would have visible tattoos. Or maybe it's that in Southern and Western areas it's warmer often and people would likely be more lightly dressed. :chin

Actually up here in our area of Canada in local banks, health centers, etc. men and women who serve on counters, at reception etc who have tattoos don't seem to have to cover them. Whether this is the policy now, or whether there is no particular policy, IDK.

Blessings.

I read a scripture last night which made me think of this thread. It was the scripture which said that we are to hide the Word of the Lord in our hearts...

Take that for what you will.
[MENTION=90700]Edward[/MENTION]: Interesting; and the word in Romans 2.15 is not unlike the concept of tattooing, I suppose, used metaphorically.

Blessings.

I read a scripture last night which made me think of this thread. It was the scripture which said that we are to hide the Word of the Lord in our hearts...

Take that for what you will.
[MENTION=90700]Edward[/MENTION]: Interesting; and the word in Romans 2.15 is not unlike the concept of tattooing, I suppose, used metaphorically.

Blessings.

Romans 2:15
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)/(KJV)

I'm sorry brother, I am not following your train of thought on this. Even metaphorically.

If the flesh of one's heart could be written on, it would in a sense be a tattoo.

Some Christians feel a Bible verse ref. on a wrist, etc. can help them in their personal witness to people.

Blessings.

Well, he says, taking a breath...

I do like that "Family Tattoo" that the brother of a brother here has shown us. My dad gave me some advice so long ago and I remember rejecting it even as it was heard. When I was considering taking classes at a local bible college, he pulled me aside and shared wisdom that had been given to him, saying, 'We are accountable for the according to the amount of light that we have.'

I knew that what he said was true. But he went on to say, "... that is why I would suggest that you don't attend bible college." And that is where I drew the line. The man who had taught me directly from his favorite quotes and sections of the bible who had encouraged me to "... be a man and not a sheep; think for yourself," and had gone on to say, "If I told you once, I've told you one thousand times..." and it's true. He had told me 1,000 times and I, as his son, had turned off the mind in response to his, "drilling it into my head" for the 1,000th time messages but with this new word, this word of wise? caution, I was now intrigued.

What is this? I should shun the light?

He reasoned with me that I should not follow the course that I felt I was drawn on and should find myself to be content where I was. There was some wisdom there and he exemplified a moderate God-fearing man, humble and loving of others on a balanced scale even as himself. No, my dad wasn't perfect and the advice did not go unquestioned. It merely went unheeded.

So then, as I was brought among others whose thirst for knowledge had brought them to the font of the Waterbook of our Lord and as we drew close to God, so also did God draw close to me. What has this to do with tat (or that?)... bear with me, I'm getting there. (Pardon the little wordplay puns, I do know they are the 2nd lowest form of humor). Sometimes I just can't resist.

The love that my dad had for others was indeed drilled into me and as he says, "A nut does not fall far from the tree." But there was something else about the love that our Father has for each of us that compels me to look closely to the witness that is given toward others. At once I am found to be a smoker, caught in a web, showing myself to be one of 'those' and exposing myself to the rightful charge of hypocrisy. Even as this is seen in me who knows to avoid the mere appearance of evil, I also know that I shall not condemn my brother, knowing that God is no respecter of persons and that He alone is our right and just and merciful God and Father. It is he who challenges me and says, "You who say, "do not murder, do YOU murder?" It is his comfort and solace that I take shelter in, knowing that the Name of Jesus is a mighty tower and able to protect and shield me from the storm.

It is also that very same spirit that guides me so that if I were to consider a tattoo similar to that "Family" tat that has been shown here? It is very much not in me to look askance or cast the first stone or to even consider my friend in disgust or any other such thing. No, indeed. If I were to think about getting a similar tattoo, it would not be the concern for the conscience of a weaker brother that would stop me. Yes, that would be taken into consideration but the real thing that would stop me is that I am a 60 year old man with a hairy body and I have what is called a beer belly, even though I don't drink beer. That's why.

Shhhh... don't tell, okay?

Some more quotes which show that they have thoroughly become very much a family thing for many people, and sometimes with a real Christian element, too:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Patricia

Well, at age 17, my son wanted a tattoo....being that I have "ONE"..I sat my son down and we talked....I got my first tattoo when I was 46..I along with my father who at the time was 71 and my three sisters all got our first tattoo together...we all got a family tattoo. And just this past year, ..my 71 year old mother got one .. I told him that if he did get a tattoo, that I would not only go along with him, but I would also pay for it under one condition...that I had to approve of the tattoo...his design was a cross with a banner on it ..How could I not approve?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jo-anne

My 17 year old daughter has one and I went with her to get it done it is a nice one . I did not think I would ever get one but I did and its rather nice.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Cathi

i have tatoos so. my oldest when she got hers i found out to late. i was shocked! well i learned alot. the next daughter came to me and wanted to get a tatoo... we had a really good talk. she really wanted one so we had a conversation, o.k. she was really wanted a tatoo. .. i would pay for the tatoo but i would have input on where it was and what it was. she has her first tatoo. it was a vine .. that says wwjd. - what would jesus do. it really worked out for both of us. we both were happy.
source: circleofmoms dot com

@questdriven :

It's not in every Christian family that faith based tattoos have become a permanent feature among family members. But they are for not a few of them.

But I think it was you that said that many of the Christian hard rock band members have gotten themselves tattooed, right?

Blessings.

farouk, can you speak from the other side of the issue too? That's what I tried to do (as your noble opponent) when I made my last post.

I hope you are able as it would be a shame to think that words were wasted. Please give a summary statement of those views without misrepresentation and without brushing aside the salient points.

That too will be appreciated as it also serves your credibility here.

farouk, can you speak from the other side of the issue too? That's what I tried to do (as your noble opponent) when I made my last post.

I hope you are able as it would be a shame to think that words were wasted. Please give a summary statement of those views without misrepresentation and without brushing aside the salient points.

That too will be appreciated as it also serves your credibility here.

There have been some posts where people have expressed positively the matter of getting tattoos; e.g.:

Kaileymarie said:
..parents are passing down the tradition. One day everyone will be all tatted up! ;)

I got the heart with the peace sign when I was 16, my mom took me only because she approved of the tattoo. .. I can see myself getting many more tattoos!

For myself also I would add a note of caution. It may be far preferable for a young person to make sure s/he knows his or her mind before doing it.

I don't think I've ever said that people should get a tattoo, or that they should not get one.

Even those who might eventually do it, though, can usefully exercise wisdom and restraint. Although in many states it's legal for under 18s to get them with parental permission, yet even here it might be far preferable for the person to wait until s/he is fully adult, and does it only after a lot of deliberation.

In terms of some Christians hypothetically being offended, I do think that often the profession of offence at something such as tattoos can be more of a polemical stance rather than a matter of sound exegesis coming from a thoughtful reading of Scripture.

Yet it is true that some Christians, justifiably or not, could be offended by a lot of things that other Christians do, one of those things even being tattoos, especially tattoos of a certain nature. This is why maybe those Christians whose conscience is clear in getting them might be well advised to get them in placements where, for example, they could be covered in a church service? I don't want to be dogmatic here, but it is a thought.

Romans 14 would tells us the two aspects of giving and taking offence. Christians shouldn't be careless about giving offence. Christians shouldn't be quick to take offence (or be manipulative of others who are exercising their Christian liberty).

I'm trying to look at the whole issue from various perspectives; thank-you Sparrowhawke for the reminder.

Blessings.

As I said, my personal hunch and conviction regarding under-18s would be strongly be to urge caution about getting tattoos.

That being said, in some states it's legal with parental permission and this mom, Peggy, obviously thinks that her son is mature enough and it has clearly been talked over a lot in the family. I guess one has to respect parental discretion also, though it wouldn't be what I personally would advise:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Peggy
I personally don't mind tatoos as long as they are responsible with what is put on their body. My husband and I both have tatoos and are taking our 15 year old son for his first one this weekend. We have talked about this many times before. I felt he is old enough for one and we would have to approve whatever he got since we have to sign our consent. ..My opinion is that they are fine as long as it isn't full of sex related stuff. An armband or something simple would do. That is what my son is getting. source: circleofmoms dot com

I can see that if the content is faith based, this might also be a material determinant as to whether to get one, at whatever age, within the law, of course.

Blessings.

But I think it was you that said that many of the Christian hard rock band members have gotten themselves tattooed, right?
At times through this thread I've been wondering to myself how tattooing got brought into the church.

I think I have my answer. Thank you.

I love the secular rock music of the (early) 70's. But I knew when I became a Christian in '86 that it had no place in spiritual worship of God. The church had even resisted hard rock music in it's mainline churches for a long time, but now it seems to be a staple of the evangelical church (to draw numbers in).

I would be completely demoralized about how the church has become so puffed up with the leaven of worldliness but I know that Jesus said this is the way it was going to be. Our goal is to be able to stand before God knowing we had no part in helping that happen.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back