Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is divorce always a sin?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Samara said:
SealedEternal,

So what happens if you have a husband and he becomes a non believer and then also leaves you. Are you then to be alone for the rest of your life? That has depressed me greatly. I have prayed for a year for my husband to come around, but he still walks away from me. I have no immediate plans to look for some one else, but i am now destined to be alone? to never have children? The thought of spending the rest of my years alone, and never having children makes me feel sick :sad
Sealedeternal believes in a very distorted doctrine that is very easily proven as being false.

SealedEternal said:
Caroline H said:
Jillian, I encourage you to read through this thread, Subject: The conditional marriage covenant., which deals with many questions that you may have. Also, in the second post there is this link, http://studies.assembly-ministries.org/ ... m.php?f=12, which has many studies on the issue of divorce and remarriage in the Bible.

The author of those articles has been divorced and remarried several times himself, and has an obvious agenda. I have debated with him countless times myself on the issue. Jillian, I advise that you read the Bible, and seek God's will, rather than looking to people to try to make the Bible say what they need it to to fit their own lifestyle.

SealedEternal
Thats right, David, youve 'debated' me and ran every time once your error is exposed before everyone on a given forum.

Im divorce and remarried, that means *I* have to take this topic VERY seriously....unlike yourself who just seems to be in it for the kicks and giggles.

jillian.h said:
I've been doing alot of thinking lately. I've been having problems with my marriage, and i'm definately not ready to get a divorce, but i was just thinking about whether or not its always a sin to get divorced. I know that God says never to get divorced,
Actually, no that isnt what scripture as a whole presents sister.
God hates the premature ending of any covenant. And primarily its caused by sin on the part of at least one person in that covenant.
God wills that we ALL simply do what we promised we would do and be merciful to one another.
But because He also knows that men sin against their wives, the reverse also being true, He has given permission for the innocent to walk out of the covenant as far back as Exodus 21 when that covenant is being broken with serious offense.
but its been not even one year, and my husband hates me. Also i just recently found out that he's more into men, and he's only with me as a cover up so other people wont find out about his issues. Now, i could probably put up with that, but must I? Does God require that i stay with a man who does not love me and cheats on me with other men?
If your husband is cheating and he will not repent, then yes, you have scriptural cause for divorcing him.
That should always be a last resort....and it may even be something that could show him how serious this all is to maybe even bring him to repentance, but fully and finally you do have just cause for divorce where cheating is concerned.

Also, In Matthew 5:32, Jesus said,
[quote:33tq7fo7]But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Does that mean that if i ever were to get a divorce, would that mean It would be wrong of me to get married again? Anybody who gets divorced and then remarried is committing a sin? I'm not sure if i'm understanding this passage correctly or not.
[/quote:33tq7fo7]
Just looking directly at Christs words alone there, He is making concession for remarriage in HIs own words in that passage.
Thats not His point, of course, He's not trying to make a list of reasons 'why' we can divorce there as some suppose, but His words are more as they typically were with the Jews who were questioning Him there...to expose their guilt.
But the manner in which He responds very clearly shows that at the very least that sexual sin is cause for divorce and remarriage if thats what ends up happening.

I did also want to add that, for the original poster, please check out the studies on my website.
Sealedeternal doesnt like them for obvious reasons, but Ive spent thousands of hours in study concerning the history involved and the scriptures to harmonize all the data.

>>>Divorce & Remarriage

If nothing else you can at least get another view to consider as you study for yourself.

Bear in mind that I AM divorced and remarried, so I have to take this all very personally and very seriously.
If I believed for a second that scripture teaches that I had to leave my current wife Id do it today. Id always provide for her because it wouldnt have been her fault, but I would not remain in sin and condemn us both.

Conveniently Ive removed about 200 posts that I had on my site directed right at Sealedeternals false views concerning divorce and remarriage, but I deleted all of that material when it seemed that he had actually decided to stop misleading people.
I may have to track down an old db save and repost it all so you and others can see it for yourselves.

Back