Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Tithing required by the New Testament?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I didn't doubt you, you just never actually said how they came to think they'd be cursed so I assumed. So, is the preacher who taught them that someone we might be familiar with?
There are both prosperity preachers that are well known who do and small church pastors who do. There is no need to mention names. It is the doctrine I am against, not the men. They may very well be totally sincere because that is what they were taught.

Preachers who use the tithe to extort money from the poor while they themselves live in luxury...well, never mind my opinion. I'm sure God will deal with them, and for their sakes, I would hope it would be during this lifetime.
Anyway, as someone else said...God looks at our hearts...not our bank statements.
And, there are other ways of giving to God than putting money in an offering plate...

I know of a person who recently reached down into his own pocket to see to it that a poor, disabled widow lady had some things she desperately needed but could not afford....and I have no doubt that God will bless that amazing generosity.

if one is in the fourth world? so Jesus curses those that don't?

Well I don't know what you mean by 4th world, but if one only has produce then one tithes their produce. I said the principle was still in effect, not the legalistic law.

It may have been a cultural law, but not a law given by God.
10% of the spoils of war, and give the other 90% back to the king you took it from. :shrug
If one did that with their paycheck, they'd be mighty broke.

No, I said it was an agricultural society then, but the spiritual law of tithe was already established as Abraham showed. I'm not sure what you are referring to in giving 90% back to the King he took it from?
Gen 14:17 (NIV) shows who Abraham fought against, and he did NOT give anything back to them. What he did was tell the king of Sodom he was not interested in any of the spoils. Gen 14:21-24 (NIV)

Of course there is...the law of sowing and reaping.
ok, so I can show that prior to the Malaki there was no tithe? what then?

who was to give to the poor in the torah? the levites or the persons with fields? who was told in the nt to take care of the widows first?

Well I don't know what you mean by 4th world, but if one only has produce then one tithes their produce. I said the principle was still in effect, not the legalistic law.

Would that produce tithe, or money tithe for that matter, be treated as it is here:

Deuteronomy 14:23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

Last edited by a moderator:
“Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.” (Malachi 3:8) Notice that the word 'tithes' is plural. There are three different tithes set out in the law of Moses.
  1. Levitical Tithe
  2. Poor Tithe
  3. Rejoicing Tithe
The first is the Levitical Tithe and is what most people think about when they talk about tithing. This was a 10% tithe of the increase during the year.
LEVITICAL TITHE
  • "Every tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the trees, is the LORD's; it is holy to the LORD. (Lev 27:30 ESV)"
  • "You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. (Deut 14:22 ESV)"
  • "To the Levites I have given every tithe in Israel for an inheritance, in return for their service that they do, their service in the tent of meeting (Num 18:21 ESV)
This tithe was also used for the daily operations of the tabernacle/temple.

POOR TITHE
"At the end of every three years you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in the same year and lay it up within your towns. And the Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance with you, and the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, who are within your towns, shall come and eat and be filled, that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands that you do. (Deu 14:28-29 ESV)
There are those who suggest (demand) a 3.33% yearly tithe for this purpose. But that's not part of the Levitical System. We need to free ourselves from Armstrongism and learn to give freely without duress and from a joyful heart for this is what pleases our Father.

REJOICING TITHE
"You may not eat within your towns the tithe of your grain or of your wine or of your oil, or the firstborn of your herd or of your flock, or any of your vow offerings that you vow, or your freewill offerings or the contribution that you present, but you shall eat them before the LORD your God in the place that the LORD your God will choose, you and your son and your daughter, your male servant and your female servant, and the Levite who is within your towns. And you shall rejoice before the LORD your God in all that you undertake. (Deu 12:17-18 ESV)​

Under the Levitical System and Mosaic Law, every male Israelite had to appear before the LORD three times a year (Ex 23:17). There are some today who interpret this as a command to pay tithe to themselves. Again, not part of the Levitical System. And speaking of which --that system, in its entirety, has passed away.

Following such ideas necessarily includes the well known problem of "being guilty in one point means being guilty of all," a burden that is impossible for us to carry without Jesus who took it from us.

Also, take note that it is also in the 14th chapter of Deuteronomy that we see prohibitions against unclean meats. How can we take up one part of a system but not another? Strict interpretation of the tithes that God commanded the Children of Israel to pay means at least 23.33%. And the Poor Tithe was used to help support the poor among the Israelites. This tithe was payable every third and sixth year out of a cycle of seven years. Do you celebrate the Year of Jubilee? The bible prohibits jail sentences for periods longer than 7 years and commands that we leave our land fallow every 7 years (Ex 23:11). There is much to learn about celebrating and giving but above all, about REST.

So, Why JUST Lift Tithing Out Of The Law? The very concept of taxing (tithing) so that the rich could get richer would be total anathama to the true intention(s) of the Levitical system. The original system was terribly legalistic of course, but a legalistic system is exactly what we are discussing here. Tithing is just ONE PART of an entire system. Unclean meat prohibitions can also be found in the 14th chapter of Deuteronomy. And what about offering of bulls? For all such things, Christians may consult Hebrews 13:15, "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that openly profess his Name."

2 Corinthians 9:7 prohibits tithing under compulsion. So, again I ask, why just lift tithing out of this system, a system which Hebrews 8:13 plainly tells is now obsolete??!! My conclusion is simply this: We are to be filled with the Holy Spirit wherein there is no excess. That's all, folks. Nothing more to it but to let Him do it. The Lord has released (taken) the burden and declared, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest (Mt 11:28). We are required to rest. We are required to put on His white robe and to make ourselves ready for the celebration. Have you not heard? Jesus is going to get married! Today is not a time of burdens or laws and rules but a time of rejoicing.

"Why do we and the Pharisees fast, but Your disciples do not fast?"
And Jesus said to them, "The attendants of the bridegroom cannot mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them, can they?

The spirit of Elijah spoke through John the Baptist to declare, "Make straight the path," and we knew the King was coming. The book of Malachi is commonly quoted as the book about tithing. But look at the end verses. Hear the cry that heralds his return. Turn our Hearts, O Lord. The hearts of the fathers unto the hearts of the children. Mend our land.

"But for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall."
(Mal 4:2 ESV)

Last edited:
There are both prosperity preachers that are well known who do and small church pastors who do. There is no need to mention names. It is the doctrine I am against, not the men. They may very well be totally sincere because that is what they were taught.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised...they have proven themselves to try anything under the sun to pocket their God. And if they are sincere because of what they were taught, why couldn't they be sincere in checking out what they were taught to see if it was truth or lie before they passed it on.

ok, so I can show that prior to the Malaki there was no tithe? what then?

who was to give to the poor in the torah? the levites or the persons with fields? who was told in the nt to take care of the widows first?

Who?

These are different issues and are dealt with in different areas of the OT law and in the NT dispensation.

Would that produce tithe, or money tithe for that matter, be treated as it is here:

Deuteronomy 14:23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

It could produce either or both. Is there a point you are trying to get at?

That law Deuteronomy 14 is NOW obsolete, so I don't see the point of asking about it. I'm not an expert in Levitical/Mosaic Law.

It could produce either or both. Is there a point you are trying to get at?

Yes, the point was since you say the principle was still in affect, is the way it was handled still in affect as well?

And if you can. please provide something to substantiate your answer, however opinions are just fine too.

I should say, opinions are fine with me and since it's the Lounge, I assume with the mods as well.

Who?

These are different issues and are dealt with in different areas of the OT law and in the NT dispensation.
the were what I would call local ways by the house churches to deal with that. where is the command to tithe by Jesus after the cross?

Tithing is done out of love for Lord Jesus Christ...not dead works. You tithe with your time, talent and treasure. The scripture says, "Seek ye first!"

Tithing is done out of love for Lord Jesus Christ...not dead works. You tithe with your time, talent and treasure. The scripture says, "Seek ye first!"
obligation to tithe kan be argued for or against. in a manner of love or yes I will do that for its a command.

... where is the command to tithe by Jesus after the cross?
Where is the command by Jesus (after the cross) to, I dunno, do most anything, pick one. Any one. How about "Love God above all else." Do you have a reference where Jesus spoke of this after the cross?

And perhaps, Jason, you do. But if that is the case, how about any other. Like "Don't drink blood, or "Do not commit adultery." Where is the command by Jesus after the cross for that?

The argument you present here is fallacious. Specious? <---- pick one. The implication of your argument, that all things must be spoken by Jesus and be spoken of, by Him, after the cross or resurrection --and must also be recorded (where? in the Book of Acts?) limits such things to the point of almost no restriction whatsoever. WE know that we are not relieved of our burden entirely. But it is lightened considerably, even to the point of our being now able to follow after Him in all that this means.

It is my assertion that as we continue to follow after Him we are, by His Spirit in us, able to become more and more like Him, The Christ.

Last edited:
Proverbs 3:9 Amplified Bible (AMP)
9 Honor the Lord with your capital and sufficiency [from righteous labors] and with the firstfruits of all your income;

Back