Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Isn't It About Time Somebody Makes a Christian Game?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Christian video games tend to be very, very lame. Same with Christian music and Christian movies. All of it tends to gravitate towards kitsch (though there are some, very rare examples).

Artists who are Christians should make games that are meaningful and true.

Yes, presenting a highly corrupt version of the medieval church in Japanese RPGs is nothing new, Square did it with both Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story (which both take place in the same fantasy world of Ivalice).

The game Xenogears is, from what I've heard a stab at Christianity (alot like the book His Dark Materials), killing God etc.

Xenogears was a GREAT game and fun to play...but yes, it was HIGHLY sacreligious. The Xenosaga series followed suit, as well. I could go on forever talking about how games could offend us Christians, but that's not what this forum is about. lol.

GrayJedi_Lightshade said:
I could go on forever talking about how games could offend us Christians, but that's not what this forum is about. lol.

You're right. It isn't. :thumb

I've been rethinking my attempt to make a video game where you would have to use the Bible or a Strong's Concordance to further yourself in the game. The Bible is our letter from God, not a strategy guide. I fear that if I make this happen, people will just be using the Bible as a crutch for something as feeble as a video game. I posted my ideas up on another board, and this was brought up. I felt like I had no choice but to eat my words. The guy holding me out was right.

As much of a good message as ANY video game might hold, fact is, if anyone attempts to use the Bible as a catalyst for success in the game, I think it would degrade its value. Any comments?

Unless one is using it to secretly get the message across. The person playing the game must read the bible to get the answer right?

A lot of games I would not call strickly christian, but give you a wide range of choices so you can play them in a way that you believe would be the most ethical.

For example, Fallout 3. The game gives you a wide range of choices alonging you to play a good character, evil character, or somewhere in between, and your choices have an effect on how the world views you. At the begining of the game, after character creation, your father even introduces you to your mothers favoriate bible verse.

jasoncran said:
Unless one is using it to secretly get the message across. The person playing the game must read the bible to get the answer right?

That was/is my original intent. Perhaps people could become more accustomed to the stories or teachings in The Word as a result of me doing this. I'm kind of stuck in the middle now, to be honest. On one hand, like I said, I don't want my players/audience to just pick up the Bible enough to get them through a certain part in the game and be done with it (which I know WILL happen even with the more sincere Christians who play my game), but on the other hand, maybe picking up the Bible and looking up certain passages will make people want to read it more if they see something interesting. My idea is to open that door as much as possible for everyone who plays my game. The more that door is open, the more liable people are to read it.

Both sides of the argument have me at somewhat of a stand still. I need to figure this out now while I'm still in the concept stage so I can set my mind to what I want/need to do.

Well to be quite honest I'm not sure if a Christian game could be done insomuch that it wouldn't turn out gimmicky or offensive in someway.

However God can use any sort of thing in our lives to get across to us; but it seems like you want to infuse fun and common aspects of modern RPGs into a Christian-themed game. Or vice versa.

You know the old saying, "You can talk the talk but can you walk the walk". I think it can be applied to a game to, you can have Christian imagery or "faux Christian" imagery (as with certain RPGs from Japan). But it doesn't necessarily make the game Christian, (for that matter it doesn't make anything Christian, an item or object cannot be Christian, people can however). I've played many games that are very Christian in their message or theme without directly or even indirectly referencing Christ or His teachings and I have thought to myself, "Wow, that was a great storyline too bad their aren't any Christian game developers to have thought of that". vs. games I have played that use heavy Christian symbolism or terms in a very negative or stretched way.

Likewise, I've watched many films that are very Christian in theme without being about Christ etc.

Look at The Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings, we all (I think) can agree, these are Christian in nature (even if Tolkien said it himself that LotR is not an allegory of Christianity).

Jesus even told parables to illustrate to the common people of His day the truths and love of God.

I think you shouldn't take an overt or even covert method in terms of writing (Christian rock is often accused by fundamentalists of simply taking out worldly words and adding "Jesus" "Christ" and "God".

Write it in a way that is metaphorical or symbolic, just enough that people can get clear ideas of characters and archetypes.

Much like Star Wars (yes I know, the whole Force thing and prequels expanded the idea of Jedi to that of the flavor of Buddhist monks and teachings) but lets limit this to the original trilogy, clear representations of good and evil are there, without a doubt of who is fighting who.

On another note, let me bring up two game series's that we may or may not have grown up with (dpending on when you all were born).

Myst and Earthworm Jim, both games were thought up by Christians, Myst by the Miller brothers, both were raised in a Methodist home I believe, although I do not know if they still believe, because of their upbringing, they wanted to make a game with little to know violence, and they gave us Myst and its sequels.

Earthworm Jim was created by (from what I have just now researched) not only a vidoe game designer but a graphic novelist and animator series creator; Doug Tenapel. Creator of Earthwom Jim, author several novels: “Creature Tech" and "Monster Zoo" and the animated (now canned show) Catscratch on Nickelodeon.

If these men can create things and not be limited to "ho-hum good, clean Christian family entertainment" than why can't we? We can, I just think we can often be so used to a mold and self-regulation of conduct (ie "Christian conduct"). I don't think its Christian really just our fear that people won't like it or get it.

There are a lot of games and movies that don't force people to have to "read" certain philosopher's works, but rather use emotion and snippets from those works to get people interested. For example, Xenosaga was a wildly popular RPG that incorporated Nietzche's philosophy into the game. It used Nietzche's philosophy, but it didn't force people to read his books to get through the game. Unfortunately, the game trashed God and probably lead many people to believe in Nietzche's philosophy. These things said, follow their examples and just incorporate Biblical messages into the story. Nobody should have to put down the controller and read a book just to get through the game.

azlan88 said:
There are a lot of games and movies that don't force people to have to "read" certain philosopher's works, but rather use emotion and snippets from those works to get people interested. For example, Xenosaga was a wildly popular RPG that incorporated Nietzche's philosophy into the game. It used Nietzche's philosophy, but it didn't force people to read his books to get through the game. Unfortunately, the game trashed God and probably lead many people to believe in Nietzche's philosophy. These things said, follow their examples and just incorporate Biblical messages into the story. Nobody should have to put down the controller and read a book just to get through the game.

Those are my thoughts exactly.

No offense to GrayJedi though.

no offense taken. I appreciate your feedback. Probably some of the best, well thought out responses to my inquiry. I hadn't thought of most of that. Although, my subject matter is already blatently taken straight out of the Bible itself.

Dante's Inferno just came out. It's based on the book, of course. I've heard mixed reviews. My friend Gray would LOVE to play the game, however my friend Lee, who has already played it, said he liked the feel of Bayonetta better than Dante's Inferno. He does claim that, amidst Bayonetta's questionable and objectionable premise (you're a witch/huntress killing off God's elect angels), that the gameplay is still amazing and the combo system is absolutely flawless.

My game I wish to create is taken from Genesis, Revelation, Ezekial 28, and Isaiah 14 (or 12, I can't remember). So, yeah, creating something allegorical at this point is next to near impossible.

How 'bout you write a story of your own with a Christian message like C.S. Lewis did in That Hideous Strength?

If you enjoy fanasy and science fiction, then the book might be one of the best you've ever read. It also challenges you intellectually, so it has a lot to deliver and delivers well.

ydoaPs said:
I seem to remember the Left Behind people making a game where you either convert people or kill them

That is not the least bit true. There is no "convert or kill" in the game. In fact, while possible, using violence in the game is neither encouraged nor rewarded.

That Hideous Strength is a great book. Any book by C.S Lewis will make you think and is worth reading.

I've actually played Dungeons and Dragons with a bunch of Christians before. It was pretty fun. We picked and chose what spells were allowed and which were not (there are certain ones that are definitely occultish), and we had a storyline where it was clearly a struggle of good vs. evil. It think D&D can be used to encourage teamwork, social networking, and, to an extent, the development of a Christian worldview. I do, however, agree that one needs to be careful with it, because it can have a bad side too.

As for Christian video games, I would love to see a game based off of something like Pilgrim's Progress where the main character would fight and slay monsters that are obvious allegorical representations of spiritual battles that Christians fight on a daily basis. Wouldn't that be cool? I can just see it. One could battle Self, the fire breathing monster, or the giant Despair and level up one's character and equipment as one "matures" as a Christian. I think it would work wonderfully.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back