Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Left Behind

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
D

david_james

Anyone here enjoy this series? I love it!

Please don't post if you're going to bash it

I thoroughly enjoyed the series, although at times the writing is a little immature. Jerry B Jenkins is actually a very good author, with excellent character development in some of his other books, but at times in the Left Behind series it is clear that the authors are writing about matters they know little about (e.g. technology).

I had the opportunity of reading the first 6 books of the series at a friend's house. I really enjoyed it! I have always enjoyed good science fiction.

I have never read any of the left behind books but one thing is for sure, the rapture is a reality and Jesus is coming back as King of Kings and Lord of Lords to reign on the earth for ever and ever. Hallujah.

I've listened to the audio series. Not the book on tape kind, it's called "An Experience in Sound and Drama". It's really neat, like listening to a movie. Very intense. It is actually what brought me to the Lord. I realized I did not want to be around for all those things that were going to happen! God spoke to me through this series and I got saved. Now I have the whole collection on CD, and am listening to it again. :thumb

Paidion said:
I had the opportunity of reading the first 6 books of the series at a friend's house. I really enjoyed it! I have always enjoyed good science fiction.

:rolling :) :biglol :yes :clap

There will of course be a time when His children are gathered. The vital question is....when?

Okay, I told myself I was not going to revive old threads (Don't you just hate that?), but I was somewhat alarmed by the lack of responses to this thread.

I have read the whole "Left Behind" series. All 16 books. I cannot recommend this series enough. If you have ever tried to understand what the Bible is saying in Revelations, and came away thinking "Huh? What?", then this story will enable you to understand what John was writing about. It basically made the book of Revelations, a revelation for me and will probably do the same thing for others.

I know a few people who stop reading by the third or sixth book, because the story may seem to stagnate a bit, but keep going to follow the storyline. I have read the series in the publication sequence and not the chronological sequence, so I recommend the publication sequence.

This is not science fiction, but it is fiction. It takes the book of Revelations and puts it in a fictional story so it is easy to understand.

When I got to the last book, I read it slowly and enjoyed every page of it, because I knew it was the last one. If these books are not in your personal library, they should be. Check your local library, I am sure they have them.

Michae1 said:
Okay, I told myself I was not going to revive old threads (Don't you just hate that?), but I was somewhat alarmed by the lack of responses to this thread.

I have read the whole "Left Behind" series. All 16 books. I cannot recommend this series enough. If you have ever tried to understand what the Bible is saying in Revelations, and came away thinking "Huh? What?", then this story will enable you to understand what John was writing about. It basically made the book of Revelations, a revelation for me and will probably do the same thing for others.

I know a few people who stop reading by the third or sixth book, because the story may seem to stagnate a bit, but keep going to follow the storyline. I have read the series in the publication sequence and not the chronological sequence, so I recommend the publication sequence.

This is not science fiction, but it is fiction. It takes the book of Revelations and puts it in a fictional story so it is easy to understand.

When I got to the last book, I read it slowly and enjoyed every page of it, because I knew it was the last one. If these books are not in your personal library, they should be. Check your local library, I am sure they have them.
The most telling thing about the Left Behind series of books is where they can be found in a bookstore: The "fiction" section.

RND said:
The most telling thing about the Left Behind series of books is where they can be found in a bookstore: The "fiction" section.

Well, yeah.

If it was in the non-fiction section, I would not be typing this right now. The Rapture would already have happened and I would be gone.

I guess you could say that now it is in the fiction section, but soon it may be moved to the reference/non-fiction section. After the Rapture that is.

Michae1 said:
RND said:

Well, yeah.

If it was in the non-fiction section, I would not be typing this right now. The Rapture would already have happened and I would be gone.
Fiction: The class of literature comprising works of imaginative narration, esp. in prose form. In other words, "not true."

I guess you could say that now it is in the fiction section, but soon it may be moved to the reference/non-fiction section. After the Rapture that is.
Unfortunately you believe that the basis for the fictional stories in the "Left Behind" series are true. Millions upon countless millions of Christians are being led astray from the truth of what is actually happening right now in favor of believing what can only amount to a lie.

Sorry to be so blunt and so direct but it's the truth.

There is no "secret rapture" coming where believers will be whisked away followed by seven years of trouble where in the midst a covenant is signed by the Antichrist with Israel. There is nothing in the Bible that even remotely suggests this scenario. Sorry.

If I were you I would seriously look into teachers that teach the truth about the "second" coming of Jesus and that use the Bible and not fiction good only for making Kurt Cameron movies. Here is a great on-line reference that will hopefully begin to steer you off this path of believing bookstore fiction over the truth of God's word.

Anything but Secret

RND said:
There is no "secret rapture" coming where believers will be whisked away followed by seven years of trouble where in the midst a covenant is signed by the Antichrist with Israel. There is nothing in the Bible that even remotely suggests this scenario. Sorry.

I agree. The Rapture will not be a secret. In fact the Bible does not say it will be secret. When millions of believers disappear, everyone left behind will know it.

But as for the Bible note even remotely suggesting the End Times, I am flabbergasted that you would make such a statement. There are numerous instances in the Bible that talk about this. Revelation, Danial, Isiah, Ezekiel, all come to mind.

I cannot quote the exact instances, as that would take more time than I have, and you sound like you would not believe them anyway. Are you sure your a Christian? You come off has being anti-Bible.

Hopefully you believe in Jesus and what he did for you on the cross.

Michae1 said:
I agree. The Rapture will not be a secret. In fact the Bible does not say it will be secret. When millions of believers disappear, everyone left behind will know it.
There will be no one 'left behind.'

In the days of Noah it was the wicked that were taken and the saved were covered from the wrath of God in the ark. So to will it be in the days of the coming of the son of man.

But as for the Bible note even remotely suggesting the End Times, I am flabbergasted that you would make such a statement. There are numerous instances in the Bible that talk about this. Revelation, Danial, Isiah, Ezekiel, all come to mind.
None of those books ever discuss believers being saved from tribulation. The notion that Christians will be whisked away and escape any time of trouble is never taught, not once, in scripture.

I cannot quote the exact instances, as that would take more time than I have, and you sound like you would not believe them anyway.
You should be able to state your case on what you believe and why you believe it anytime you are asked. If you cannot quote exact instances where the Bible speaks of a 'secret rapture' then I would take my advice and examine other teachings that are much more solid than a fictional book..

Are you sure your a Christian? You come off has being anti-Bible.
I'm very much a Christian. I very much believe in Jesus Christ and 'every' word that has proceeded from the mouth of God.

What I am is 'anti-false doctrine' which is what the 'Left Behind' series teaches. No where, and I can confidently say again, 'no where' does the Bible teach that people will be whisked away and miss any kind of trouble on earth.
Hopefully you believe in Jesus and what he did for you on the cross.
Of course I do! That has no bearing on whether or not I believe in the tragically false doctrine of the secret rapture.

RND said:
None of those books ever discuss believers being saved from tribulation. The notion that Christians will be whisked away and escape any time of trouble is never taught, not once, in scripture.

I cannot quote the exact instances, as that would take more time than I have, and you sound like you would not believe them anyway.
You should be able to state your case on what you believe and why you believe it anytime you are asked. If you cannot quote exact instances where the Bible speaks of a 'secret rapture' then I would take my advice and examine other teachings that are much more solid than a fictional book..

(Romans 5:9 NASB) Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.

(1 Thessalonians 4:16 NASB) For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
(1 Thessalonians 4:17 NASB) Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

You still want to say there is nothing is scripture?

Again, the Bible says nothing about a "secret" rapture. In fact the word "rapture" is not even used in the Bible, which I am sure you know because you probably did a word search for "rapture" and nothing came up.

The only book I get my teachings from are the Bible.

Michae1 said:
(Romans 5:9 NASB) Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.

(1 Thessalonians 4:16 NASB) For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
(1 Thessalonians 4:17 NASB) Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

You still want to say there is nothing is scripture?
This doesn't detail anything about a "secret rapture." It does however conclusively prove a 'last day' resurrection of the dead when Christ returns.

Let's read on:

1Th 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. 1Th 5:4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. 1Th 5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

The children of darkness are the one's that will be surprised at the second coming of Christ - just as it was in the days of Noah when it was the wicked that were taken and the justified were 'left behind' on the ark.

Again, the Bible says nothing about a "secret" rapture. In fact the word "rapture" is not even used in the Bible, which I am sure you know because you probably did a word search for "rapture" and nothing came up.

The only book I get my teachings from are the Bible.
That's right, the Bible says nothing about a "secret rapture" where believers are whisked away and non-believers are 'left behind' to suffer for seven years. It's a made-up wives tale that is found no where in scripture. The Bible is quite consistent in that it plainly makes known the 'last day' resurrection of the dead.

david_james said:
Anyone here enjoy this series? I love it!

Please don't post if you're going to bash it

I won't "Bash" it. But I have to say that it is all based on a false understanding of "rapture". I would be being less than honest if I said otherwise.

You may wan't to counter-balance your reading with an opposing viewpoint, to see both sides.

1685lg.jpg

I read the left behind series and they were really good. I just Got done reading this new book called the world before the flood the untold story by kenneth christensen and it was really good as well. Rather than just telling a story about the biblical future it tells a story about the biblical past a group of people are warped back into the pre flood world and discover that the bible was correct. I dont want to ruin it for you guys so I wont say much more, but it was really good

ezek777 said:
I read the left behind series and they were really good. I just Got done reading this new book called the world before the flood the untold story by kenneth christensen and it was really good as well. Rather than just telling a story about the biblical future it tells a story about the biblical past a group of people are warped back into the pre flood world and discover that the bible was correct. I dont want to ruin it for you guys so I wont say much more, but it was really good
It may have been good from an "entertainment' aspect, but the premise is false

Back