Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Lists of Apostate Preachers

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Lewis Says sincere unbelievers may go to Heaven

Some heathen may belong to God without knowing it. "There are people in other religions who are being led by God's secret influence to concentrate on those parts of their religion which are in agreement with Christianity, and who thus belong to Christ without knowing it. For example a Buddhist of good will may be led to concentrate more and more on the Buddhist teaching about mercy and to leave in the background (though he might still say he believed) the Buddhist teaching on certain points. Many of the good Pagans long before Christ's birth may have been in this position."

"Clive Staples Lewis was anything but a classic evangelical, socially or theologically. He smoked cigarettes and a pipe, and he regularly visited pubs to drink beer with friends. Though he shared basic Christian beliefs with evangelicals, he didn't subscribe to biblical inerrancy or penal substitution. He believed in purgatory and baptismal regeneration. How did someone with such a checkered pedigree come to be a theological Elvis Presley, adored by evangelicals?" -Christianity Today, C.S. Lewis Superstar, by Bob Smietana (December 2005, Vol. 49, No. 12, Page 28).

Lewis' good, very close friend, J.R.R. Tolkien, the man that wrote the hobbit books, was a very devout Roman Catholic and tried hard over the years to budge Lewis across the line. He got nowhere. Lewis would not speak about Church questions. He said once: "I have the deepest respect for Pagan myths, still more for myths in the Holy Scriptures."

J. K. Rowling (author of the demonic Harry Potter series) has said that C. S. Lewis is one of her two favorite authors (the other being Jane Austen). It should come as NO surprise to Christ-honoring Christians that C.S. Lewis was a heretic.

well then Gosh, i guess that mlk wasnt a christian as he took ghandis idea of peaceful protesting and change america for the better.

Lewis Says sincere unbelievers may go to Heaven

Some heathen may belong to God without knowing it. "There are people in other religions who are being led by God's secret influence to concentrate on those parts of their religion which are in agreement with Christianity, and who thus belong to Christ without knowing it. For example a Buddhist of good will may be led to concentrate more and more on the Buddhist teaching about mercy and to leave in the background (though he might still say he believed) the Buddhist teaching on certain points. Many of the good Pagans long before Christ's birth may have been in this position."

"Clive Staples Lewis was anything but a classic evangelical, socially or theologically. He smoked cigarettes and a pipe, and he regularly visited pubs to drink beer with friends. Though he shared basic Christian beliefs with evangelicals, he didn't subscribe to biblical inerrancy or penal substitution. He believed in purgatory and baptismal regeneration. How did someone with such a checkered pedigree come to be a theological Elvis Presley, adored by evangelicals?" -Christianity Today, C.S. Lewis Superstar, by Bob Smietana (December 2005, Vol. 49, No. 12, Page 28).

Lewis' good, very close friend, J.R.R. Tolkien, the man that wrote the hobbit books, was a very devout Roman Catholic and tried hard over the years to budge Lewis across the line. He got nowhere. Lewis would not speak about Church questions. He said once: "I have the deepest respect for Pagan myths, still more for myths in the Holy Scriptures."

J. K. Rowling (author of the demonic Harry Potter series) has said that C. S. Lewis is one of her two favorite authors (the other being Jane Austen). It should come as NO surprise to Christ-honoring Christians that C.S. Lewis was a heretic.

So now you are quoting Jesus-is-savior.com?

"AUTHOR OF THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA
And other demonic fantasies

by Mary Van Nattan"

Much of what is disapproved of here is Anglican belief. Not everyone is evangelical, not everyone thinks that you have to share their doctrines or you are not a Christian. Please try not to apply a single view of Christianity to the whole of the God's people.

So now you are quoting Jesus-is-savior.com?

"AUTHOR OF THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA
And other demonic fantasies

by Mary Van Nattan"

Much of what is disapproved of here is Anglican belief. Not everyone is evangelical, not everyone thinks that you have to share their doctrines or you are not a Christian. Please try not to apply a single view of Christianity to the whole of the God's people.

Steven Van Nattan (Mary's Husband): Resume of Steve Van Nattan

This is one controlling and judgmental dude. He sounds more like a cult leader then a "preacher."

I thought I'd take a look at the PDF about Lewis...and right away I saw that this wasn't Lewis "in his own words" but rather a series of quotes of Lewis', lifted out of their contexts and then skewered by the authors, as well as a number of quotes of what others had to say about Lewis.

Since I've read many of Lewis' works, I'm familiar with some of the quotes that were listed. For instance this particular quote from the Screwtape Letters:

God "often makes prizes of humans who have given their lives for causes He thinks
bad on the monstrously sophistical ground that the humans thought them good and were following the best they knew"....

The fuller context of the quote is WWII and how many in the war took up the "cause", these would be both English and German, Christians on both sides of the fence...we can compare this to those Christians who fought in the Civil War for both the North and the South...each side thought their "cause" was right...at least one side (if not both sometimes) can be wrong...and yet God will make "prizes" of them anyway because in their own mind they were not willfully sinning against Him, in their error they thought they were doing the "right" thing. God is not going to deny a believer eternal life just because he fought for Germany in WWII or the South in the Civil war....

There is also this quote that the PDF points out as Lewis' "false teaching"

"There are three things that spread the Christ-life to us: baptism, belief, and that mysterious action which different Christians call by different names -- Holy Communion, the Mass, the Lord's Supper" (From Mere Christianity)

The authors of the PDF point to this as "proof" that Lewis taught a "salvation by works".

But again, the fuller context of the quote is this:

Now the God who arranged that process is the same God who arranges how the new kind of life—the Christ life—is to be spread. We must be prepared for it being odd too. He did not consult us when He invented sex: He has not consulted us either when He invented this.

There are three things that spread the Christ life to us: baptism, belief, and that mysterious action which different Christians call by different names—Holy Communion, the Mass, the Lord's Supper. At least, those are the three ordinary methods. I am not saying there may not be special cases where it is spread without one or more of these. I have not time to go into special cases, and I do not know enough. If you are trying in a few minutes to tell a man how to get to Edinburgh you will tell him the trains: he can, it is true, get there by boat or by a plane, but you will hardly bring that in. And I am not saying anything about which of these three things is the most essential. My Methodist friend would like me to say more about belief and less (in proportion) about the other two. But I am not going into that. Anyone who professes to teach you Christian doctrine will, in fact, tell you to use all three, and that is enough for our present purpose.
(Mere Christianity)

What Lewis is getting at in this passage of Mere Christianity is that the new life we have in Christ is "spread" or grows in us via belief, baptism and communion. These three things are what all Christians have in common and he is entirely correct in this. If I know of a believer who constantly refuses baptism or communion, I would question his "belief". If I know of someone who is baptised, and yet believes that Jesus is in no way God, then I would question the baptism...

Lewis goes on to say:

I cannot myself see why these things should be the conductors of the new kind of life. But then, if one did not happen to know, I should never have seen any connection between a particular physical pleasure and the appearance of a new human being in the world. We have to take reality as it comes to us: there is no good jabbering about what it ought to be like or what we should have expected it to be like. But though I cannot see why it should be so, I can tell you why I believe it is so. I have explained why I have to believe that Jesus was (and is) God. And it seems plain as a matter of history that He taught His followers that the new life was communicated in this way.

In other words, I believe it on His authority. (Mere Christianity)

Again, Lewis wasn't defining the "exact moment of salvation" or anything like it...he was explaining essentials of Christian life and growth...and baptism and communion are most definitely part of essential life and growth, every bit as much as belief is. Demons believe, they are not baptized nor take communion.

I was reading through the PDF further and was just so overwhelmed by the misquotes, the taking things out of context and the innuendos in it...then I got to the part about Lewis promoting pedophilia (yes, pedophilia, child sexual abuse) in the scenes in Narnia between Lucy and Mr. Tumnus.

That's when I stopped reading. There is only so much gossip and lies I'm willing to stomach about a fellow brother in Christ.

I took a look at the others on the "Wolf List" ...I believe some are false teachers, I believe some are solid biblical teachers. But I do believe that the true "wolf" here may very well be Stewart himself.

Thank you, handy, for doing that work to declare the list for what it is---gossip-mongering.

I will never, ever, put my trust in anything some website has put together! I trust the Lord Himself to show me what and what not to trust! I thank God for providing me not only with a strong church family, but with His wisdom--the kind that tells me not to even bother to investigate the claims! God's wisdom is not just for the elite few---it is on tap liberally for all---just for the asking!

You have done so, handy, and proven just what the Lord has told me. We need to grow up and rely on Him to show us a lie as we encounter it. People who spend their time and efforts ripping up people and their reputations in Christ have a definite 'reward' waiting for them.

C.S. Lewis was certainly no heretic. He was a part of the Anglican Church.

So were occultists Westcott and Hort. It will be interesting to see if the Anglican Churches join the Catholic System, then again there are Catholics in the top of the Anglican Structure, there so it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Some more reading about CS Lewis:

The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis, evil fruits

C. S. Lewis, C.S. Lewis, Clive Staples Lewis

C. S. Lewis theology

The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis

[FONT=arial,helvatica]"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" (2 Timothy 3:16).[/FONT]

So were occultists Westcott and Hort. It will be interesting to see if the Anglican Churches join the Catholic System, then again there are Catholics in the top of the Anglican Structure, there so it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis, evil fruits

C. S. Lewis, C.S. Lewis, Clive Staples Lewis

C. S. Lewis theology

The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis

[FONT=arial,helvatica]"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" (2 Timothy 3:16).[/FONT]

Neither Westcott nor Hort were occultists. STOP YOUR LIEING about folk.

1: The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis, evil fruits

2: C. S. Lewis, C.S. Lewis, Clive Staples Lewis

3: C. S. Lewis theology

4: The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis

1: Editor: Steve Van Nattan-- AGAIN.

2: Researched, Compiled,
and Written by Mary Van Nattan
Editor: Steve Van Nattan

3: Also the Van Nattans; here is a sense of what they find about Lewis' theology to dislike:

Speaking about Surprised by Joy, Lewis's spiritual autobiography, Mitchell adds, "Lewis takes the entire book to get to theism and unpacks it carefully, but his actual movement to Christ happens in about two or three sentences. That is all he says. At the end of the day, Lewis believed that in Christianity you are confronted with a person that you either say yes to or no to..." [Quote from Christianity Today, December 2005 C. S. Lewis Superstar by Bob Smietana.]

Editor: God gave us four Gospels in scripture which thoroughly present Jesus Christ, and Lewis covers his "movement to Christ" in a few sentences? This does not sound much like the work of the Holy Spirit. John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: 27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

So because Lewis wasn't converted in a way THEY like, they pour scorn upon him? Shame on you Van Nattans and Shame on AKJVreader for repeating the nonsense.

4: Guess who? The Van Nattans yet again.

In 1987, as one of only a few lone voices in the wilderness, I warned the Christian world of the insidious, unscriptural, satanic, and magical messages and images contained in the books of famous "Christian" author, C.S. Lewis. I wrote particularly of Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia series for kids and adults, demonstrating how these works were from the very pit of hell.
And though British author C.S. Lewis was one of the most quoted, admired, and beloved of all "Christian" writers and teachers, I demonstrated that Lewis’ own personal and doctrinal life was stigmatized by pagan beliefs, mythological imagery, sexual kinkiness, and adultery.
I showed also C.S. Lewis’ mixture and confusion of Hindu and Greek gods with Christian heroes. In one instance, C.S. Lewis even equated Jesus Christ with the ancient Greek sun god Apollo, the son of the mythological Zeus.
C.S. Lewis was most fond of expressing a belief in Jesus, followed by a clarifying exclamation, "Jesus was the fulfillment of myth." According to Lewis, Jesus deserved worship because he was, "the myth that had come true."
As I pointed out in my book, Ravaged by the New Age, Lewis also taught in his novels, the Chronicles of Narnia series, that all service done by a person on behalf of Lucifer and the dark side was, in fact, also credited by God as service to him!
In Lewis’ nonfiction writings, we discover his belief in evolution, in the Catholic version of Mary, and in the odd notion that in our "next lives," Christians may just become planets, stars, or other heavenly objects.
Moreover, Lewis believed the Bible to be flawed, and suggested that Jesus was an ignorant prophet, regrettably tied to the Jewish messianic myth. Lewis further suggested that Jesus’ prophecies had failed to come to pass.
Nevertheless, all these thing being so, the fantasy books of C.S. Lewis have for decades been super sellers in both Christian and New Age occult bookstores. For my efforts in warning Christian parents to keep Lewis’ wicked and foul books far from their kids, many a Christian bookstore owner and manager responded by angrily pulling Texe Marrs’ books off their shelves and banning them forever from their premises.
Yet, few dare mention the fact that the C.S. Lewis books—which are even more vile and more blatantly occultic—continue to be sold in Christian bookstores, endorsed by Hank Hanegraaff, Chuck Colson, Billy Graham, and other leaders, and quoted each Sunday in dozens of "conservative" Southern Baptist and other churches! This phenomenon is only one striking example of the witchcraft explosion that has erupted and is now ravaging the Christian establishment. In the Intelligence Examiner exclusive offered in this month’s Power of Prophecy newsletter, I document this widespread occultic invasion.

Witchcraft Invades Christianity

C. S. Lewis -- the heretic.

its odd, i know of former witches and i myself dabbled into the occult, that can tell the difference between new age and real christianity.i dont see it.

funny akjv, you use aig and icr, all good sites for the creation debates but, you fail to see if they do err. i see errs with my knowledge of science as it grows when christians debate science. why cant you double check anyone that claims so so said and see if they are quote mining.

I always check to see if what is said is inline with the Authorized King James Bible.
The Bereans in the book of Acts checked the scriptures to see if what Paul said was true and were commended for doing so. I don't want to be deceived either so i will double check.

In other words, the list of "apostate preachers" is anyone who doesn't agree with the OP's theology.

Why not just put out a list of who's NOT on that list? :thumbsup (You'd only need one name, then!) :lol

But seriously - why do some people presume to post threads like this? Why are some people more quick to point out the apostasy of others while not seeing their own hypocrisy in doing so?

Just wondering. :chin

Ah, but you see he wasn't

a: evangelical or
b: American.

Yep. American Evangelicals - as a group - are the most self-centered, myopic, childish, "navel-gazers" I have ever met. Makes me shudder to think I'm an American Evangelical!

American Fundamentalists - as a group - are as bad with one caveat: some are are just plain nuts.

Calling C.S. Lewis "heretic" is like calling the Pope "antichrist." People who do so are neither well-intentioned nor well-informed.

I was planning on writing more, but I'm afraid I'd be lowering myself to their level. :nono2

Back