Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Lists of Apostate Preachers

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
CS Lewis - The Heretic

C.S. Lewis — The Heretic!

CS Lewis Exposed:

C. S. Lewis EXPOSED!

C.S. Lewis Was No Christian!

C.S. Lewis Was No Christian!

Alot more about CS Lewis:

C.S. Lewis: The Devil's Wisest Fool

Narnia is evil:

Further Into the Depths of Satan

"Clive Staples Lewis was anything but a classic evangelical, socially or theologically. He smoked cigarettes and a pipe, and he regularly visited pubs to drink beer with friends. Though he shared basic Christian beliefs with evangelicals, he didn't subscribe to biblical inerrancy or penal substitution. He believed in purgatory and baptismal regeneration. How did someone with such a checkered pedigree come to be a theological Elvis Presley, adored by evangelicals?" -Christianity Today, C.S. Lewis Superstar, by Bob Smietana (December 2005, Vol. 49, No. 12, Page 28).

Not every Christian agrees with your sect's focus on drinking and smoking nor does every Christian agree that such things make you a non-Christian and given David Stewart's trial and arrest I would be very careful about quoting from his heiferdust of a site.

"Clive Staples Lewis was anything but a classic evangelical, socially or theologically. He smoked cigarettes and a pipe, and he regularly visited pubs to drink beer with friends. Though he shared basic Christian beliefs with evangelicals, he didn't subscribe to biblical inerrancy or penal substitution. He believed in purgatory and baptismal regeneration. How did someone with such a checkered pedigree come to be a theological Elvis Presley, adored by evangelicals?" -Christianity Today, C.S. Lewis Superstar, by Bob Smietana (December 2005, Vol. 49, No. 12, Page 28).

With all due respect, if "we" get to heaven, I hope I get to see C.S. Lewis as the first one to greet you there, give you a big hug, and say "All's forgiven." :shame

@AKJVREADER:

Of special note are the new details about the case. In addition to the charges against David J. Stewart for 2nd Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct as a 1st Degree Felony, David Stewart was also charged with child abuse as a misdemeanor. He denied the initial charges but later pled guilty to child abuse as part of a plea agreement.

David J. Stewart Pleads Guilty to Child Abuse | David J. Stewart Exposed!

This is one of the sources you cite as an "expert" on the apostasy of C.S. Lewis.

Do you make a habit of citing hypocrites in your hate-filled diatribes against Catholics and those who disagree with your view of what it means to be Christ-like?

Just wondering. :chin

Yes it does but that doesn't mean i celebrate it, i know that many KJV people do not celebrate Easter.

I agree with you there

Hey i'm telling you the truth that CS Lewis was into the occult. It's pretty obvious
that he was, just read his occultic fantasy books and what occultists have said. I'm definitely NOT into the occult so i can say i'm clean on that issue.

That quote is CS Lewis and not from the Bible. If you look at CS Lewis's life weigh up all the facts before making a judgment. Like i say if CS Lewis was a real Christian why does Hollywood and many occultists love him? If he was a real Christian they would all hate him and ridicule him, but they never do. We live in very deceptive times, Jesus says do not be deceived and then He says do not be deceived.
I CAN TELL YOU KNOW NOTHING of the occult. trust me i did some witchraft and while i am no expert i know enough to know when new age or witcraft is brought forth. i have a friend who was a former witch and also into new age and could do astrology and was very accurate with it. she has never said that cs.lewis is into the occult.

here for a real list of cartoons that do push the new age thought.
heman
shera
thundercats
the real ghostbusters(loved that one but do to the promotion of the necronomicron done with it)
etc. many of the 80s and 70's and 90's and today are promoting new ageism.

i love stargate sg-1 but the idea of the ancients is a new age one. not to mention a panspermia concept as well.

David J. Stewart

The first thing i will say is that i'm surprised by this. I did not know that charges had been laid against him for child abuse. But what kind of child abuse was it? I know from the Bible you can hit a kid with a rod if that kid is naughty. And has he been convicted by the judge? Is this all false accusation? i dont have all the details on the case.

I always enjoy reading his articles. I know he reproves and exposes other "Christian men" but he does so out of love and because he believes the Bible to tell him to do that. In other words he exposes people so hopefully they will stop sinning and repent. Read his articles and check them against what the Bible says.
I do not believe David is perfect, i mean even Moses and Peter were not perfect at times. If he has sinned then he will have to be punished but if it is all bogus time will tell.

2 Timothy 3:
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Romans 16:
17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

@Stormcrow I posted a quote from Christianity Today, do you think they are wrong in exposing CS Lewis too?

Lewis also said that “Christianity fulfilled paganism†and “paganism prefigured Christianity.†(Roger Lancelyn Green, “C.S. Lewis: A Biography,†Harcourt Inc., 1974, pages 274 and 30.)

And then there is Dr Scott Johnson from www.contendingfortruth.com
Here are his documents exposing CS Lewis:

CS Lewis in his own words:

http://www.pdf.cftresources.com/2008_03-30__C_S_ Lewis In His Own Words.pdf

CS Lewis and Narnia:

http://www.pdf.cftresources.com/200... The Inklings, Narnia and the Golden Dawn.pdf

Last Trumpet Ministries on CS Lewis:

Last Trumpet Newsletter - January 2006

Paul agreed that the beliefs of pagans pre-figured the teachings of Christ. perhaps you should take that up with God.

AKJVReader said:
The first thing i will say is that i'm surprised by this. I did not know that charges had been laid against him for child abuse. But what kind of child abuse was it? I know from the Bible you can hit a kid with a rod if that kid is naughty. And has he been convicted by the judge? Is this all false accusation? i dont have all the details on the case.

Has he been convicted by the judge? Is this all false accusation? I don't have all the details on the case...

:thumbsupVery good questions to ask before believing the worst about a good preacher.

Could it be possible for you to apply these same questions and criteria (I don't have all the details on the case) to C.S. Lewis and his writings? He is a preacher and writer regarding the tennents of our faith, as is Stewart. You say about Stewart "I don't have all the details of the case" and I say, since you have never read any of Lewis' work for yourself, you don't have all the details of his "case" either.

If you can withhold judgment against Stewart in order to find out for yourself if the accusation is true or false...perhaps you should do so for Lewis as well.

From the horses' mouth. Quotes by CS Lewis:

"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us."

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."

"I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me."

"I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity."

"[To have Faith in Christ] means, of course, trying to do all that He says. There would be no sense in saying you trusted a person if you would not take his advice. Thus if you have really handed yourself over to Him, it must follow that you are trying to obey Him. But trying in a new way, a less worried way. Not doing these things in order to be saved, but because He has begun to save you already. Not hoping to get to Heaven as a reward for your actions, but inevitably wanting to act in a certain way because a first faint gleam of Heaven is already inside you."

Doesn't sound anything like something a Christian would say...does it? :o:rolleyes2

But trying in a new way, a less worried way. Not doing these things in order to be saved, but because He has begun to save you already. Not hoping to get to Heaven as a reward for your actions, but inevitably wanting to act in a certain way because a first faint gleam of Heaven is already inside you.

Boy, Lewis had a way to get right to the heart of the matter!

Doesn't sound anything like something a Christian would say...does it? :o:rolleyes2

I'd be curious to see when he said those things. They are totally out of line with "Mere Christianity"

Oh and for the record, I think that perhaps those who condemn the works of fiction by Lewis do so because they didn't understand them. At the most basic level, yes I'd have to agree that Lewis is peddling witchcraft-esque books. However, if we actually break down the books and make the real attempt to understand them we will see that he is in fact preaching Christianity in a way is easily digestible by both nonbelievers and children. He ought to be commended for that.

I'm assuming AKJVReader would probably have me hung in the gallows for what I am about to say but I honestly just don't care that much...

If we look at Tolkien in the same light (the critic one) we see that he is also preaching the Christian message, and I only add him because it is only because of Tolkien that we have Lewis.

A couple of quotes are from Mere Christianity, the others are a compilation of various articles written either by Mr. Lewis, or various interviews given by him.

The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses

The Great Divorce

Are two that come immediately to mind. :)

A couple of quotes are from Mere Christianity, the others are a compilation of various articles written either by Mr. Lewis, or various interviews given by him.

The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses

The Great Divorce

Are two that come immediately to mind. :)
Sorry, I misread your sarcasm as to be literal... stupid internet.

I only add him because it is only because of Tolkien that we have Lewis.
Gandalf was the Christ-type, the Hobbits representing man's innocence before the fall, Elves as angels, Orcs as Demons, Sauron as Satan, etc.

I have tried to read The Lord of the Rings on several occasions, but have never even finished one of Tolkien's books because - quite frankly - they bore me. Tolkien had a penchant for writing in such detail that it's easy to get lost in the minutae. And when not getting bogged down in detail, the story simply plods along.

C.S. Lewis was a far better writer than Tolkien, IMHO, and any one of his fictional works (Screwtape Letters, Chronicles of Narnia, Space Trilogy) can easily be read in one evening.

Gandalf was the Christ-type, the Hobbits representing man's innocence before the fall, Elves as angels, Orcs as Demons, Sauron as Satan, etc.

I have tried to read The Lord of the Rings on several occasions, but have never even finished one of Tolkien's books because - quite frankly - they bore me. Tolkien had a penchant for writing in such detail that it's easy to get lost in the minutae. And when not getting bogged down in detail, the story simply plods along.

C.S. Lewis was a far better writer than Tolkien, IMHO, and any one of his fictional works (Screwtape Letters, Chronicles of Narnia, Space Trilogy) can easily be read in one evening.

Oh, I agree! Tolkien was brilliant and the LOTR stories wonderful modern fairy tales with underlying morals but...yeah, that "boring" part. One of the best things Peter Jackson did was to bring the story to life on screen without getting "bogged down in the detail".

Lewis, his writing just flows...and I literally did read The Silver Chair in one night!

The author of the Lord of the Rings, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, was born in South Africa in 1892, but his family moved to Britain when he was about 3 years old. When Tolkien was eight years old, his mother converted to Roman Catholicism, and he remained a Catholic throughout his life. In his last interview, two years before his death, he unhesitatingly testified, "Im a devout Roman Catholic." J.R. Tolkien married his childhood sweetheart, Edith, and they had four children. He wrote them letters each year as if from Santa Claus, and a selection of these was published in 1976 as "The Father Christmas Letters." One of Tolkiens sons became a Catholic priest. Tolkien was an advisor for the translation of the Roman Catholic Jerusalem Bible. As a professor of literature at Oxford University, Tolkien specialized in Old and Middle English and loved ancient pagan mythology. His first fantasy novel, The Hobbit, appeared in 1937, and The Lord of the Rings, in 1954-55. Several others were published later, some posthumously.
One of Tolkiens drinking buddies was the famous C.S. Lewis. They and some other Oxford associates formed a group called the "Inklings" and met regularly at an Oxford pub to drink beer and regale about literary and other matters. Tolkien, in fact, is credited with influencing Lewis to become a Christian of sorts. Like Tolkien, though, Lewis did not accept the Bible as the infallible Word of God and he picked and chose what he would believe about the New Testament apostolic faith, rejecting such things as the substitutionary blood atonement of Christ. And like Tolkien, C.S. Lewis loved at least some things about Catholicism. He believed in purgatory, confessed his sins to a priest, and had the last rites performed by a Catholic priest (C.S. Lewis: A Biography, pp. 198, 301)
The author of The Lord of the Rings denied the very thing that some Christians today are claiming, that these fantasies are an allegory of Christs victory over the devil.J.R. Tolkien died in 1973 at age 81, two years after his wife, and they are buried in the Catholic section of the Wolvercote cemetery in the suburbs of Oxford.

Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings

Back