Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Lottery?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
That's a good question Ben. There are good Christians who play the lottery as well as purchase stock on the stock market. I guess Life is a gamble....You have to do what your conscious tells you. If you have peace about it? Go for it.

not that i would start lottery, i was just thinking as my grandma sometime buys me a lottery ticket, doesn't feel bad :tongue i think there's difference between lottery and really gambling

Is lottery gambling? Are christians allowed to lottery?

'christians' are allowed to, even encouraged to by other 'christians' .
as corrie ten boom told congregations plainly though, it's very bad testimony, not befitting Jesus.
besides which, by utilizing even pull tabs, it is directly hurting others in the body of Christ, so a follower of Jesus won't keep participating in any kind of gambling, both for their own conscience sake, and for the conscience and well-being of others. (i.e. use any such funds available towards the people in your neighborhood who need help. even spending money on entertainment is subject to strict scrutiny in the body of believers, when one or more of them is suffering and oppressed.

God doesn't participate in the luck business. Does playing the lottery come from above or from the world?

Colossians 3:2
Amplified Bible (AMP)

2 And set your minds and keep them set on what is above (the higher things), not on the things that are on the earth.

Philippians 4:8
Amplified Bible (AMP)

8 For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].

Last edited:
Isaiah 65
My people—who look to Me and no other— (God is a Jealous God)---
Will have pasture for their sheep
and safe places for their herds.

11 But those of you who ignore Me, the Eternal One—
who turn away from My sanctuaries
And reject My holy mountain
to chase Lady Luck and cater to Destiny
12 Will find yourselves a bit unlucky and your destiny an early death.
You’ll bow down and be killed like sheep brought to the slaughter
Because when I called you, you did not answer;

when I spoke, you refused to listen.
Instead you did all the wrong things and made terrible choices—
what I expressly said that I hate.

Isaiah 65

Please, what translation are you quoting?

Isaiah 65

5 This is what the Lord says:

Cursed is the one who trusts in man,
who draws strength from mere flesh

and whose heart turns away from the Lord.
6 That person will be like a bush in the wastelands;
they will not see prosperity when it comes.
They will dwell in the parched places of the desert,
in a salt land where no one lives.

7 “But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord,
whose confidence is in him.
8 They will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit.” Jeremiah 17:5-8 NIV

not that i would start lottery, i was just thinking as my grandma sometime buys me a lottery ticket, doesn't feel bad :tongue i think there's difference between lottery and really gambling
okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. its not a difference. only the odds. the odds against me winning are greater then me getting struck with lightning. the problem I have with the lotto is that poor buy the tickets so that government can fund the very programs for the poor.

In my view gambling is a lot like drinking alcoholic beverages. It's not bad until it becomes a problem. If having one drink is a problem for you then its bad. If gambling even one time is a problem for you then its bad.

I operate a small hobby farm. Every spring I gamble over $3000.00 in seed, fertilizer, and fuel in the hopes that I will be blessed with a good crop. Every year I stand the risk of drought, heat, over abundance of rain, high winds, hail, and frost. Even right now this year I've already had to sell my wheat seed and buy more soybean seeds because it's been too wet and too cold to plant. I've got about a month to get my soybeans in the ground and the later it gets, the less likely I'll have a good crop.

Every time I get in the car to drive somewhere I am gambling with my life.

We gamble a lot more than most people realize.

In my view gambling is a lot like drinking alcoholic beverages. It's not bad until it becomes a problem. If having one drink is a problem for you then its bad. If gambling even one time is a problem for you then its bad.

I operate a small hobby farm. Every spring I gamble over $3000.00 in seed, fertilizer, and fuel in the hopes that I will be blessed with a good crop. Every year I stand the risk of drought, heat, over abundance of rain, high winds, hail, and frost. Even right now this year I've already had to sell my wheat seed and buy more soybean seeds because it's been too wet and too cold to plant. I've got about a month to get my soybeans in the ground and the later it gets, the less likely I'll have a good crop.

Every time I get in the car to drive somewhere I am gambling with my life.

We gamble a lot more than most people realize.
of course,

war
retirement funds and stocks
farming

I have chosen not to play the lottery because that money could pay a bill,buy some food or help put some gas in the tank of my car.I am an extremely simple person.I figure that God Blesses me financially to get the things I really need.The Bible doesn't specifically condemn gambling but it does say to stay away from the love of money 1 Timothy 6:10.

Last edited:
Like to gamble sure you do everybody does but gambling on a sure thing yes by all means gamble.. Every payday throw $50.00 $100.00 or whatever at your nearest gospel mission.. :)

Its a sure thing you can't lose

tob

I think wips point is that the church teaches against the lotto and yet teaches to invest and save. both of them are in fact a risk.

Please, what translation are you quoting?
Isaiah 65:12 (The Voice)

His_nee (Jeff) ...Copyright Information

The Voice Bible Copyright © 2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc.

The Voice™ translation © 2012 Ecclesia Bible Society

All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means—electronic, mechanical, photocopy, recording, scanning, or other—except for brief quotations in critical reviews or articles, without the prior written permission of the publisher.

Please limit the use of translations with copyright restrictions . CFnet has had a few notices about such... One would think that Scripture would not have copyright restrictions but some do... Thanks

Last edited:

The lottery and gambling are the same thing. Giving someone money in hopes of winning more money or some sort of prize is gambling.

The physical act of gambling is not a sin. However, your motives for gambling may be sinful. Why are you buying that lottery ticket or playing that slot machine? These are the things we need to think of because that's what God is looking at. Our motives. Why are we doing the things we're doing?

smileys-gambling-291446.gif

Reactions: WIP
Please limit the use of translations with copyright restrictions . ....
no worries - i checked a long long time ago(15 years ago, and today to double check) about this and there's no problem with the short quotes people use in forums. (besides also what HE(the Original Author) says :) ) ... ...
the government calls it the fair use principle as found on their page >>>
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Back