Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Luck orMiracle?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

We were taught (we being Christians) that there's no such thing as luck or lucky etc. God plans all for HIS people. At times what some think as luck is nothing but God's divine intervention...or/and perhaps miracle. Good.

How about unbelievers? When strange or unbelieveable things happen in their lives...should we call these 'luck' or miracles? Just wondering their own perspective of the OP topic. :biggrinunno :shrug :confused

A short answer I think would be common grace. We as Christians are redeemed by Gods saving grace but those not in Christ avail of Gods common Grace.

I feel I became a firm believer during my military service, I can count 3 events (being blown off an aircraft carrier, hit by a steel shipping box thrown by the rotor wash of a helicopter,
thrown off an aircraft and landing on my back on a steel deck) where I should have been killed. God doesn't make luck, he makes followers through testing.

A short answer I think would be common grace. We as Christians are redeemed by Gods saving grace but those not in Christ avail of Gods common Grace.

Thanks for your reply...and Welcome to CF.net:wave

That is to say, Christians and sinners have something in common, grace?

I feel I became a firm believer during my military service, I can count 3 events (being blown off an aircraft carrier, hit by a steel shipping box thrown by the rotor wash of a helicopter,
thrown off an aircraft and landing on my back on a steel deck) where I should have been killed. God doesn't make luck, he makes followers through testing.

I see the finger of God here. Thank God you are alive today

Thanks again. I used to think (or maybe still do) there are two options in life.

1. The first is, Live a Godly life and God directs your way.
2. I have no interest in God (this is for unbelivers). Thus as an unbeliever I'm left alone to struggle...all I gain is by my effort.

I think that's precisely Adam's fate: when God allowed him to till the ground himself.

So I think these two options still exist today. Just a thought.

(I think this also applies to the God and Sinners thread I started)

I would disagree with your second point. It Acts 14:17

Yet he did not leave himself without witness, for he did good by giving you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, satisfying your hearts with food and gladness."

And Psalm 145:9

The LORD is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made.

As far as luck goes, I was raised with the idea of the "luck of the Irish" included. Does this mean that God has blessed some and that the blessing goes down the line for a thousand generations? I might be able to find Scripture that looks like it does. Then again, I might also be able to find Scripture that shows it doesn't. So then, what is luck? If I tossed a coin up into the air and thought, "Heads, it's luck, tails it's a miracle," would that be helpful? Some of this goes to the "fleece" test that is described by the Lord. According to that test, I would have to flip the coin again and think, "Heads, it's a miracle and tails = luck". The coin may come up tails on the first toss and be confirmed by coming up heads on the second. But would this prove anything?

So many are looking for a sign. I do this. I don't think that it proves anything and believe that a portion of faith is given to every man. Then we get to choose where we will place our faith and trust. If we trust our bank accounts and the bank fails, does this mean that the gift from God failed? Or does it mean that the gift was not well placed? It is good to accept those good gifts with thanks.

Hi sparrowhawke well Im from Northern Ireland and don't feel anyone here is more blessed than anywhere else. I have heard something about the word luck originates from lucifer although I'm not sure how much truth is in that.

As for a sign the Pharisees as Christ for a sign in Matthew chapter 16.

I believe the only thing we should be putting our trust in is The Lord Jesus Christ. If we trust in him and have great faith we have no reason to worry about anything else.

I believe the only thing we should be putting our trust in is The Lord Jesus Christ. If we trust in him and have great faith we have no reason to worry about anything else.
Well said, andymac1981 and I agree especially when I think about "faith the size of a mustard seed". Also, welcome to the forums :wave

Everything has been destined by GOD HIMSELF. However I still struggle with the word: luck or lucky etc... Not that I voluntarily wanna use them I involuntarily say them. (At times I use them to express surprise etc)

And when I do, please forgive me...I don't mean to offend God. It's a bad habit I must learn to part with...God helping me. I know I'm not the only guilty one here:)

I still use it from time to time much the same as you or without thinking I would wish someone good luck. None of us are perfect and all still sin

Perhaps not all uses of the word 'luck' is unChristian. How do we define 'luck', 'lucky', 'luckily'? What is the definition?

Let's take a look at these:

1. I fail from a 50 storey building and hit the floor. I didnt break a bone. I got up and was hit by a truck. I survived. Finally i escaped a burning building fine. I'm such a lucky fellow

2. I nearly missed my flight. I'm so lucky.

3. It is a goal! Lionel Messi has scored the winning goal for FC Barcelona...at the dying minute. We are very lucky to win the Champions League

I see your point there but would this not be Gods providence.

Romans 8:28

28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose

I just hope you don't think I'm always trying to put you down as I'm not I'm just putting forward my understanding of things

If you don't mind me asking are you from Barcelona?

Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people...most of what happens to us stems from our choices in life...we reap what we sow

Hi Mountain Man

I disagree. Although its hard I firmly believe that when bad things are happening to us it is Gods way of teaching us something or his way of leading us to something that is better for us.

I see your point there but would this not be Gods providence.

Romans 8:28

28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose

I just hope you don't think I'm always trying to put you down as I'm not I'm just putting forward my understanding of things

If you don't mind me asking are you from Barcelona?

I appreciate all your replies, HONESTLY. They are encouraging. And NO: you are not putting me down:lol

Barcelona is just the food we eat.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back