Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Matt. 25;46

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

humble soul

On Sabbatical from Rome
At Church today, the Bible Gospel Reading was Matthew 25;31-46. A very important and powerful verse.
The bulletin has a copy of the verse so we can follow as it is read aloud. Taken from a Jerusalem Bible apparently. The line, 46 was this ;
"And they will go away to eternal punishment, and the virtuous to eternal life."
Notice the use of the word "virtuous".
I notice Bible Gateway use "righteous". Does that mean the same as virtuous?
Looks like my Catholic Church reading supports people who live a virtuous life. Helps the least of their brothers and sisters. Supports works just as much as faith. We do need to live a virtuous life though. In my opinion of course.

Hi Hlumble
Virtuous means rightrous.
I agree with you. Works are part of faith. Jesus spoke of it many times.
Not sure all these Bible scholars will agree with that Tessa.
Virtuous people don't necessarily make it to Heaven? They gotta be saved?

We cannot be virtuous or righteous of ourselves, for Jesus said 'no man is righteous, no not one.' It is Christ's righteousness working through us.
Bbbbut ? I don't get any credit when I'm virtuous?? In that case, when I sin, I can blame Satan. Wipe my hands of all responsibility.
God made me do it.
The devil made me do it.

I have the Jerusalem Bible which I like to study out of, but haven't unpacked it since we moved and its buried in storage until we find our own place.

Righteous and virtuous are the same thing in one having moral standards as it is not our own righteousness as that is a filthy rag to God, Isaiah 64:6, but that of God's righteousness found in us.

Matthew 25:31-46 is all about God's final judgement as per what we did here on earth as carrying out the works of the Lord to bring glory and honor to His name. Some will be raised to eternal life with the Father as they are truly Christ own as being new creations in Christ indwelled with the Holy as being faithful servants, but others will be raised to damnation as they truly do not have Christ in them.

John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
John 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

I just get reminded that virtuous people don't make it to Heaven. Apparently...no declared faith in God means no ticket to Heaven.

I just get reminded that virtuous people don't make it to Heaven. Apparently...no declared faith in God means no ticket to Heaven.
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

I'm going to wager that divine intelligence goes way beyond literal comprehension of sacred texts.
God is way smarter than we give him credit for. Dualistic, black and white thinking is not of God. Of course imhso (in my humble soul opinion)

I'm going to wager that divine intelligence goes way beyond literal comprehension of sacred texts.
God is way smarter than we give him credit for. Dualistic, black and white thinking is not of God. Of course imhso (in my humble soul opinion)
The carnal mind can not perceive Spiritual things. God's ways are not our ways and the natural man has no understanding.

1 Cor 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
1 Cor 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1 Cor 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Virtuous persons do not make it to heaven...
UNLESS
they believe in God.

An atheist that does not believe in God, loves God or serves God is not going to make it. The Catholic church teaches this nowadays.
In the past they just wanted a person to trust in the institution of the church.

An atheist can do all the good works he wants to do and be as virtuous as he can be but will still be lost.

A person that believes in God and wishes to please God and serve God is also required to do good works, but these works will be works of
righteousness -- God's righteousness, and will be acceptable to Him.

You mean virtuous agnostics and atheists get nuthin'?
I still struggle with this. It makes no sense to me at all.
That proud hypocritical Christians can make it to Heaven and humble , charity working agnostics/atheists don't.
It's what makes me doubt the whole thing. What kind of God would allow this? Sounds very legalistic to me.

That proud hypocritical Christians can make it to Heaven and humble , charity working agnostics/atheists don't.
It's what makes me doubt the whole thing. What kind of God would allow this? Sounds very legalistic to me.
I don't know about agnostics.
A priest once told me that if you're seeking God, you've already found him.

But I truly believe atheists are not going to be spending time with a God they do not even believe exists.
God is not dragging anyone into heaven but they will only go there if they want to.
Think of Dawkins or Hitchins....you think they could go to be with God?
After a lifetime of belittling Him and dismissing Him?
What does DO NOT GRIEVE the Holy Spirit mean then??
Ephesians 4:30

Good works, being nice, but being an atheist is not a salvific relationship with God.
We are saved by faith and not by works:
Ephesians 2:8

It's our faith in God that saves us.
THEN come the good works.

P.S.
Christians aren't supposed to be proud and/or hypocritical.
But I guess we all sin.

Think of Dawkins or Hitchins....you think they could go to be with God?
After a lifetime of belittling Him
The little I've seen of them I dislike. Arrogance, Christian or not, is perverse.
I just think God works in mysterious ways and through the least likely people.

The little I've seen of them I dislike. Arrogance, Christian or not, is perverse.
I just think God works in mysterious ways and through the least likely people.
I agree.
But God working through someone,
and accepting a God hater into heaven...are two different ideas.

I used to have a problem with this many years ago.
I've since come to understand it really well.
We have to WANT to be with God...or we won't be.
John 3:16
WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHOULD NOT PERISH....
believeth!

Yes that sounds right.
But lake of fire threats don't motivate me. ( I don't mean from you by the way)
I prefer the positives that come from believing in God.

The Lake of Fire doesn't motivate any non-believers.

They prefer the Lake of Fire instead of life with God.

Quantrill

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back