Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Moon landing conspiracy theories

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Lewis

This is in 3 posts below
I have heard this stuff over and over since around 1970, so what do you all believe ?

Moon landing conspiracy theories

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong in NASA's training mockup of the Moon and lander module. Conspiracy theorists say that the film of the missions was made using similar sets to this training mockup.

Different Moon landing conspiracy theories claim that some or all elements of the Apollo program and the associated Moon landings were hoaxes staged by NASA and members of other organizations. Various groups and individuals have made such conspiracy claims since the end of the Apollo program in 1975. The most notable claim is that the six manned landings (1969–1972) were faked and that the Apollo astronauts did not walk on the Moon. The conspiracy theorists (henceforth conspiracists) argue that NASA and others knowingly misled the public into believing the landings happened by manufacturing, destroying, or tampering with evidence; including photos, telemetry tapes, transmissions, rock samples, and even some key witnesses.
There is much third-party evidence for Apollo Moon landings and detailed rebuttals to the hoax claims.<sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference">[1]</sup> Polls taken in various locations have shown that between 6% and 28% of the people surveyed believed that the manned landings were faked.
Origins

The first book about the subject, Bill Kaysing's self-published We Never Went to the Moon: America's Thirty Billion Dollar Swindle, was released in 1974, two years after the Apollo Moon flights had ended. The Flat Earth Society was one of the first organizations to accuse NASA of faking the landings, arguing that they were staged by Hollywood with Walt Disney sponsorship, based on a script by Arthur C. Clarke and directed by Stanley Kubrick.<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup> Folklorist Linda Degh suggests that writer-director Peter Hyams's 1978 film Capricorn One, which depicts a hoaxed journey to Mars in a spacecraft that looks identical to the Apollo craft, may have given a boost to the hoax theory's popularity in the post-Vietnam War era. She notes that this happened during the post-Watergate era, when American citizens were inclined to distrust official accounts. Degh writes: "The mass media catapult these half-truths into a kind of twilight zone where people can make their guesses sound as truths. Mass media have a terrible impact on people who lack guidance".<sup id="cite_ref-wired_2-0" class="reference">[3]</sup> In A Man on the Moon, published in 1994, Andrew Chaikin mentions that at the time of Apollo 8's lunar-orbit mission in December 1968, similar conspiracy ideas were already in circulation.
<sup id="cite_ref-Chaikin_14-0" class="reference">
</sup>

Part 2
Public opinion

See also: Apollo hoax in popular culture
There are subcultures worldwide which advocate the belief that the Moon landings were faked. James Oberg of ABC News stated that claims made that the Moon landings were faked are actively taught in Cuban schools and wherever Cuban teachers are sent.<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-Fake_Moon_Flight.27_Myth_2003.2C_pp._23.2C_30_4-0" class="reference">[5]</sup> A 1999 Gallup poll found that 6% of the Americans surveyed doubted that the Moon landings happened and that 5% of those surveyed had no opinion,<sup id="cite_ref-plait156_5-0" class="reference">[6]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-Borenstein_6-0" class="reference">[7]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-gallup1_7-0" class="reference">[8]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-gallup2_8-0" class="reference">[9]</sup> which roughly matches the findings of a similar 1995 Time/CNN poll.<sup id="cite_ref-plait156_5-1" class="reference">[6]</sup> Officials of Fox television stated that such skepticism increased to about 20% after the February 2001 airing of that network's TV show Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land on the Moon? Seen by approximately 15 million viewers,<sup id="cite_ref-Borenstein_6-1" class="reference">[7]</sup> the 2001 Fox special is viewed as having promoted the hoax claims.<sup id="cite_ref-theage_9-0" class="reference">[10]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-newsweek_10-0" class="reference">[11]</sup>
A 2000 poll held by the Russian Public Opinion Fund found that 28% of those surveyed did not believe that American astronauts landed on the Moon, and this percentage is roughly equal in all social-demographic groups.<sup id="cite_ref-11" class="reference">[12]</sup> In 2009, a poll held by the United Kingdom's Engineering & Technology magazine found that 25% of those surveyed did not believe that men landed on the Moon.<sup id="cite_ref-12" class="reference">[13]</sup> Another poll gives that 25% of 18–25 year olds surveyed were unsure that the landings happened.<sup id="cite_ref-13" class="reference">[14]</sup>
Motives

Claimed motives of the United States and NASA

Those who believe the landings were faked give several theories about the motives of NASA and the United States government. The three main theories are below.
</sup>

Motive 1

The US government deemed it vital that it win the Space Race against the Soviet Union. Going to the Moon would be risky and expensive, as exemplified by John F. Kennedy famously stating that the United States chose to go because it was hard.<sup id="cite_ref-Chaikin_14-0" class="reference">[15]
</sup>A main reason for the race to the Moon was the Cold War. Philip Plait states in Bad Astronomy that the Soviets—with their own competing Moon program and a formidable scientific community able to analyze NASA data—would have cried foul if the United States tried to fake a Moon landing,<sup id="cite_ref-15" class="reference">[16]</sup> especially since their own program had failed. Proving a hoax would have been a huge propaganda win for the Soviets. Bart Sibrel responded, "the Soviets did not have the capability to track deep spacecraft until late in 1972, immediately after which, the last three Apollo missions were suddenly canceled."<sup id="cite_ref-16" class="reference">[17]</sup>
However, the Soviets had been sending unmanned spacecraft to the Moon since 1959,<sup id="cite_ref-17" class="reference">[18]</sup> and "during 1962, deep space tracking facilities were introduced at IP-15 in Ussuriisk and IP-16 in Evpatoria, while Saturn communication stations were added to IP-3, 4 and 14",<sup id="cite_ref-18" class="reference">[19]</sup> the latter having a 100 million km range.<sup id="cite_ref-19" class="reference">[20]</sup> The Soviet Union tracked the Apollo missions at the Space Transmissions Corps, which was "fully equipped with the latest intelligence-gathering and surveillance equipment".<sup id="cite_ref-20" class="reference">[21]</sup> Vasily Mishin, in an interview for the article "The Moon Programme That Faltered" (Spaceflight, March 1991, vol. 33, 2-3), describes how the Soviet Moon program dwindled after the Apollo landings.
Motive 2

It is claimed that NASA faked the landings to forgo humiliation and to ensure that it continued to get funding. NASA raised about US$30 billion to go to the Moon, and Bill Kaysing claims that this could have been used to "pay off" many people.<sup id="cite_ref-21" class="reference">[22]</sup> Since most conspiracists believe that sending men to the Moon was impossible at the time, they argue that landings had to be faked to fulfill President Kennedy's 1961 promise: "achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth".<sup id="cite_ref-Chaikin_14-1" class="reference">[15]</sup> Others have claimed that, with all the known and unknown hazards,<sup id="cite_ref-22" class="reference">[23]</sup> NASA would not have risked the public humiliation of astronauts crashing to their deaths on the lunar surface, broadcast on live TV.<sup id="cite_ref-23" class="reference">[24]</sup>
Motive 3

It is claimed that the landings helped the US government because they were a popular distraction from the Vietnam War; and so manned landings suddenly ended about the same time that the US ended its role in the Vietnam War.<sup id="cite_ref-24" class="reference">[25]</sup>
Claimed motives of the conspiracists

<table class="metadata plainlinks ambox mbox-small-left ambox-notice" style=""> <tbody><tr> <td class="mbox-image"></td> <td class="mbox-text" style="">This section requires expansion.</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> Some have argued that one of the conspiracists main motives is making money from pseudoscience. In November 2002, actor Tom Hanks, who starred in the movie Apollo 13 and produced the documentary From the Earth to the Moon, was asked what he thought of the conspiracy theories. He replied: "We live in a society where there is no law [against] making money in the promulgation of ignorance or, in some cases, stupidity". An unsuccessful attempt was made to sue Apollo 13 astronaut Jim Lovell because he said that he went to the Moon
</sup>

I have seen a video about the moon landings (i forget which one) that showed how in the real moon landing there were things happening that couldn't have been done on the moon. I'm still undecided if the moon landings were fake or not. Yes Hollywood could have easily made the film but then the US did have spaceships with rockets, that could reach the moon.

The whole idea is nuts. Does not anyone think that others were watching the whole thing? The Russians, the Chinese, etc... I actually had a friend drop by awhile back that had watched a show on a conspiracy about 911 and how our government had faked the planes. He was leaning toward believing it. Sad part is that he is quite an intelligent guy. However, I did watch the movie about the faked moon landing...

None of us can be sure that men did or did not land on the moon all of those years ago. What about the facts that we know for sure to be true? How important are they?

The mirrors on the moon must have always been there then, right, like as long as the moon has existed?

I've bounced lasers off of those mirrors before. I think the Mythbusters did a special on this and they concluded it was not a hoax nor was it even possible to hoax it with 1960/70 technology. Besides, like someone else said, the USSR was probably watching it happen, they'd call fowl the moment they smelled something fishy.

And how about the pictures of the dark side of the moon? I suppose the amazing computer technology of the 1970s was able to produce those high quality images that are still used to day when looking at a globe of the moon?

As a conspiracy theorist myself, this is one conspiracy theory I won't believe. We indeed landed on the moon. Only us Americans would be nuts enough to do that in a tin can using a computer probably no better than a modern day calculator. :lol

However, if anyone wants to debunk the moon landings, do me a favor. DON'T bring up the point that the moon rock shadows were in a different direction than the astronaut's shadows or similar as if more than one studio light was used.

As a person into gnomonics, it's possible to change the "direction" of a shadow based on the shape of an object and how it's oriented. Trust me, I made a serious hobby by telling time with shadows and you can do some neat stuff with it. I don't take kindly to someone who makes a statement like that who probably did no 5 minutes of study on the subject and then act like I'm stupid because I don't see their (erroneous) point.

So, as far as I am concerned, any "shadow evidence" is hereby dismissed.

I remember that day in 1969, I can even remember where I was.

One thing is for sure, you weren't on the moon.

Why pour over these things? What difference does it make if men landed on the moon or not? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, it doesn't change things one way or another. Does it?

I mean, we could even wind up in hell for worrying over this.

What about the obvious?

One thing is for sure, you weren't on the moon.

Why pour over these things? What difference does it make if men landed on the moon or not? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, it doesn't change things one way or another. Does it?

I mean, we could even wind up in hell for worrying over this.

What about the obvious?
I was merely asking a question, you say why pour over these things ? Why not pour over these things

I remember watching the moon landing on TV. I was a kid 10 years old just out of 4th grade. After that, I remember watcing a Sci-Fi movie where these astronauts went up into space. I remember the one astronaut's face flattened out by the force of the take-off and he slowly said, "I-can't-move-a-muscle!" As a kid I always loved to play space ship so whenever I "launched" anywhere I pulled my mouth flat and said the same thing --- I thought it was hilarious.

Also, I believe it was the same day, (or possibly a similar launch that took place around then) but there was a futuristic newscast on (sort of like Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in news of the future) that took place in 1973. I said, "Wow! 1973! That's far ahead!" :lol

BTW, conspiracy theories that it was staged are not new at all. Even a few years later in the 1970's as a teenager, I remember talking to an elderly person in a nursing home where my mother was head-nurse. This woman asked me if I really believed they landed--- I found several cases where the elderly then had a hard time accepting it. This is not just a more recent hippy-generation thing. Even a generation or two before mine questioned this stuff.

See what you gen x and y'ers age 40 on down have been missing? :lol

The question of whether or not men went to the moon is really just a diversion. And it's treading on dangerous ground to call people liars when they were telling the truth the whole time. We should concern ourselves with the facts.

Mark:4:24: And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.

I don't know if men faked the moon landing or not, and I don't rerally care a fig one way or the other.

There's no need to fear any of this stuff. Why should we be frightened of NASA and their rockets? No, if there is anyone to fear here it's the LORD and His wrath. He's angry about a few things that are going on here and His appearing will be soon.

Back