Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

names in the book of life?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
This is topic that goes back and forth for me... I fully trust in His grace and mercy.... so when does the child become a sinner.

At what age?

Post #14 explains the age of accountability....when we fully understand the gospel. I was 47 before I reached the age of accountability. Some reach it younger and some older than me.

Yikes i took the thread off topic :sad bad moderator bad.....

I don't think it is to far off topic, saying one is born with sin has them blotted out before they even get started (so how could there be one blotted out before they are written in?)

Post #14 explains the age of accountability....when we fully understand the gospel. I was 47 before I reached the age of accountability. Some reach it younger and some older than me.
You do realize your saying you did not need Christ in your life until the age of 47.. I cant abide that....

reba:

I was wondering if Christine meant that she now feels that at 47 she first truly understood the Gospel. But I guess Christine can explain what she meant.

Blessings.

Bingo Farouk :)

Do you truly understand the gospel? Is there nothing more there to learn? That is about as philosophical as i get....

You do realize your saying you did not need Christ in your life until the age of 47.. I cant abide that....

What does the age of accountability have to do with your assumption I did not need Christ in my life? I am not here to give an account of my life but to provide scripture pertaining to the OP.

reba:

I was wondering if Christine meant that she now feels that at 47 she first truly understood the Gospel. But I guess Christine can explain what she meant.

Blessings.

I do not think there is one person who will ever know everything in the Bible. I heard a preacher the other day that has been preaching for 50 years and said he still learns something new when he studies.

Last edited by a moderator:

How can someone be held accountable for what they do not know?

When one comes to know right from wrong then they are held accountable for that right and wrong.

If someone has taught someone wrong and they think they are doing right, until they learn what IS right who should be held accountable? and what age may that take place?

That's what is meant by reaching the age of accountability. that's why the Bible does not say (like when there was a time to be circumcised) that there is a time (age) to be baptized.

reba:

Blessings.

It was the time when she heard the answer to the question that those on Pentecost said "Men and brethren, what shall we do?":

Acts 2:37 (KJV)
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

And the answer was:

Acts 2:38 (KJV)
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Thanks again.

If your understanding is correct, then are you saying that they do not need to be born again, and that they do not need Saviour?

It is not what I say, it is what scripture says...without repeating I believe my posts are clear on what the bible teaches.

You are welcome, thank you for creating an interesting thread.

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

I know that names can be blotted out, but when are our names written into the book of life?

Are we born with our names already in?
If not then what about the children

Mat 19:14 But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

I struggled with this same exact question for years... It was a question that nobody could ever answer because of the way I was looking at it.

Perhaps it's not a matter of having your name written in a book for the reasons your searching for, but maybe it's simply a matter of having a name worth writing about... After all, do you really think God needs a book to remember who his children are?

The audio below is only 3 minutes. I do hope you enjoy it.

http://www.chabad.org/multimedia/media_cdo/aid/319244/jewish/Inscribe-Us-in-the-Book-of-Life.htm

I struggled with this same exact question for years... It was a question that nobody could ever answer because of the way I was looking at it.

Perhaps it's not a matter of having your name written in a book for the reasons your searching for, but maybe it's simply a matter of having a name worth writing about... After all, do you really think God needs a book to remember who his children are?

To disregard the book of life that is mentioned 40 times throughout scripture in the Bible is to disregard the entire Bible itself.

Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Psa_58:3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

Psa_51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Hello Reba, I'd like to look at Psa 51:5 for a moment. Can we first look at Psa 139:13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

First we see that David's name was written in God's book well before he was born. But we also see that it was God who knit David together when David was still in his mothers womb. Not only that, but David was fearfully and wonderfully made. But lets look at one more thing as it pertains to Psalms 51:5. David says, "My frame was not hidden from you."

Who then was it hidden from?
Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Reba, have you even known a gal who didn't know she was pregnant until what? Maybe a month... maybe 2 months after she conceived? I mean, who saw it coming?

Sometimes we just have sex because it feels good to both parties, and David out of all men knew this very well. Often the goal of sex isn't about procreation, it's about personal satisfaction... So is it any wonder that a fetus remains hidden for a bit? But hidden from whom? Certainly not God.

Hi there.
Who's disregarding the book of life? Just curious how you came to that conclusion.

Hello,

In your post #33 when you stated, "do you really think God needs a book to know who his children are?" It sounded to me as if you were saying God didn't need the book of life to know who is written in it...maybe I misinterpreted your post.

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

I know that names can be blotted out, but when are our names written into the book of life?

Are we born with our names already in?
If not then what about the children

Mat 19:14 But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

Just going back to the OP here...:lol

As I understand the scripture, there appear to be two books: "The Book of Life" and "The Lamb's Book of Life".

I think that to understand the difference we have to look at Jewish theology...Jewish theology teaches that "The Book of Life" contained the names of everyone who has ever lived. We see this mentioned in the Book of Revelation at the "Great White Throne Judgment".

The Jews believed that one's name could be blotted out of the book based on one's rejection of God...and I think that is self-evident when reading the OT.

"The Lamb's Book of Life" however contains the names of the Saved. That is to say, that although one's name may have been blotted out of the "Book of Life", when we are born-again by Grace through Faith in Christ, our names are then written in "The Lamb's Book of Life"... a rebirth as new creatures (2 Corinthians 5:17) and I personally believe they can never be blotted out from that Book (NOT trying to start an OSAS/NOSAS debate...just stating my belief here).

Hope that helps.

Hello,

In your post #33 when you stated, "do you really think God needs a book to know who his children are?" It sounded to me as if you were saying God didn't need the book of life to know who is written in it...maybe I misinterpreted your post.

haha, ok, I see how you took that. I don't think that God would ever forget one of his children.... So I don't think that the book of life is for God's memory. No, I think it's for us and that was the jist of my post.

But before we get stuck on that, which I sure hope we don't. What do you think about having a name worth writing about? I would think that more important. After all, why would a name be written if it served no purpose? No story to share, no wisdom to impart.

Funny, we know the names of two servants in Exodus 1 and their names are within very close proximity to the great 12, yet we don't even know the pharaoh's name. Ironic? I think not.

haha, ok, I see how you took that. I don't think that God would ever forget one of his children.... So I don't think that the book of life is for God's memory. No, I think it's for us and that was the jist of my post.

But before we get stuck on that, which I sure hope we don't. What do you think about having a name worth writing about? I would think that more important. After all, why would a name be written if it served no purpose? No story to share, no wisdom to impart.

Funny, we know the names of two servants in Exodus 1, yet we don't even know the pharaoh's name. Ironic? I think not.

Thanks for clearing that up....

That is a good point you mention and I also referred to having a name worth writing in Post #6 referring to Rev 3:5.

Back