Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] No hope... Faith is slipping.....

Is there any hope?

• Yes

Votes: 36 94.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I tried that only to be let down time and time again...... I stopped praying for a while due to more rejection I received from a company I was trying to work for....

God doesn't let anyone down. Stopping praying is the wrong move.

I thank him for what I have but I don't have money:bigfrown
It is so sad.... I placed tons of applications online due to companies around me (like retail stores/ fast food/ oil change/home improvement retail etc...) telling me to fill out one online. I get no call backs. No interviews. Nothing. I feel like my life is passing me by. Even my dream job that I shot for multiple times is not panning out at all. I blame myself for not being good enough and never was....
I pray for God's will to be done and nothing. I don't get it. I have been in a decade of being in a valley in my life. I know people probably call me names for not being employed/whatever else....

I know that God provides... I have a roof over my head and food to eat but I feel the need to be a productive member of society.....

I had people tell me to use the time to study the bible... I read it from time to time but I feel like that it is too much reading. I always skipped around in it.

You don`t have money and that is not fun but as you said you have a roof over your head and food. This is more than a lot of people have. When my husband was unemployed and our savings were quickly going, I started to wonder if we would even have food to feed our children and a roof over our heads, and I think other families who are hit by this economic crisis have the same concerns, but my family made it. You are making it and you will also make it through this valley. If you were not good enough, God never would have made you and let`s not forget that God`s work is perfect. You are His perfect creation. His hand is still on your life.
Are you in a position where you could relocate? I understand you have no money, but perhaps your family could lend you enough money for a bus ticket, groceries, and one month`s rent and deposit for an apartment? If there are jobs in ND, is there something that prevents you from going there? That`s an option. Don`t be afraid to take the chance of moving.

Another tid bit is that I never fully healed over a woman who cheated on me a few years ago....

Why is my life never taking off? Usually people in their 20s are exploring but me I am stuck in the same rut for years....

I'm in this same boat. I can't seem to bring myself happiness or find something I want to do. My depression goes on and off all the time, and I'm still in the process of trying to recover. I have thoughts of getting drunk (since I'm 21) and committing suicide. I refuse to do either, but it's the fact that the thoughts are there that bugs me. I really need prayer and healing. Anybody willing to talk and socialize with me, that would be appreciated.

I had people tell me to use the time to study the bible... I read it from time to time but I feel like that it is too much reading. I always skipped around in it.

Darktipper, you are right that just spending all your unemployment time reading the Bible is too much. There is a thing called "Spiritual obesity" where we just eat and take in all the Spiritual food but never get up and exercise if off to refuel. In other words we are just taking it in and doing nothing with it. The Bible is like our bread, we are to eat it, use it in daily life, and come back for more for replenishing but if we just eat and eat, we get obese and rather useless.

On the other hand, reading "from time to time" is like eating from time to time. It is not enough. Our bodies need a regular supply of nurishment to function properly and be healthy. Likewise our spirits do as well.

As I have suggested before, consider a Bible study with others. It like eating with others. It is always more pleasant to share a meal with those we love than to eat alone. When you are part of a dedicated Bible study you also get to exercise some of the spiritual food off. It is more than just a study you are encouraging and building up others for the kingdom. I recommend checking this website Locate a Class (Bible Study Fellowship) to see if Bible study fellowship is in your area. This is a great group to get involved with. Or check your local churches, but find a fellowship to study the Bible with. It is very encouraging. Because you have time, you might want to get involved with several Bible studies. It keeps you in touch with other people and in the Word of God and keeps your spiritual skills sharpened as you are using them every time you fellowship.

Then when your Bible study is over, you have time for Job hunting, developing a new skill, volunteering, etc. You don`t have to spend all your time studying the Bible but you do need to spend some time each day studying and some time fellowshipping and praying. This is healthy and balanced.

I'm in this same boat. I can't seem to bring myself happiness or find something I want to do. My depression goes on and off all the time, and I'm still in the process of trying to recover. I have thoughts of getting drunk (since I'm 21) and committing suicide. I refuse to do either, but it's the fact that the thoughts are there that bugs me. I really need prayer and healing. Anybody willing to talk and socialize with me, that would be appreciated.

Nathan, I hope you are not one of the 3 that voted there is no hope because in God there is always hope. I am glad though that you realize drinking and suicide are not the wise path to take. One leads to a life of addiction and possible ruin and the other leads to a grave before your time. You can PM me anytime you just want to talk!

Nathan and Darktipper, when my husband was going through unemployment, I read "Man`s Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl, and found a lot of helpful thoughts in it that maybe would be useful to you. I actually read this after reading Job 3 and I wanted answers to Job`s very questions. Job was basically asking "what`s the use of living or even being born when one just has to suffer so much?" I`ll admit that I wondered the same thing. I`ve experienced a lot of hardships in life, but I`ll tell you through every hardship a joy comes as well. It is true that morning comes after the darkness. Life for some people seems to be all smooth sailing, but for others of us, it`s a bumpier road! But one thing that always keeps me going is God said in Rev. we are to be overcomers. So when I hit a bump and I feel like I can`t climb over this next mountain, I remember God tells me to overcome and I pull myself up and I start climbing again. My climb may not be as fast or strong as others but I`m climbing and that is what matters to God. We have to just keep on climbing and overcoming the challenges in life. Overcoming often is hard, long, burdensome work but we just have to keep pressing on. This is what God calls us to do. Be overcomers, Nathan and Darktipper and God will be pleased with you and someday reward you.

But back to Frankl, Frankl was a Jewish psychiatrist during WWII. He was captured by the Nazi`s and put in Auchwitz. Later he decided to write a book not on the horrors of Nazi camps because there were enough of those kinds of books, but he wrote a book from a professional psychiatrist`s viewpoint of how man finds meaning in suffering. In the camps everything was removed from them, their clothes, their social positions, their economic position, all their possessions even the gold from the fillings in their teeth, their degrees and professional positions, every freedom down to the ability to go to the restroom when they wanted to, their families and friends were often removed from then, even their names were replaced with numbers. They literally had nothing material to prove or show their value as a human and because those who entered the camps did not live long, they realized the rest of their lives were likely to be within these conditions in these camps. They could barely dream of anything more and many did stop dreaming as they saw so many people around them dying day after day. Yet Frankl saw some people weathered these conditions better than others and the ones that did weather it were not necessarily the stronger or smarter, but those who could find their value and meaning even in meaningless conditions such as these.

This is getting long but I want to share more with you about the book in another post but I have to run now. Maybe tomorrow.

I even applied at retail and food places :sad Still nothing. :shame

I guess that is life.....
I would have never saw my self in this position in. When I was in H.S. i dreamed of having my own place and making a living and possibly helping a few people along the way. I am probably the least successful out of all of my friends (real life and internet)

i will answer this in private as i have lived this for most of my early adult life,in fact that is why i came to christ.

Nathan, I hope you are not one of the 3 that voted there is no hope because in God there is always hope. I am glad though that you realize drinking and suicide are not the wise path to take. One leads to a life of addiction and possible ruin and the other leads to a grave before your time. You can PM me anytime you just want to talk!

I actually didn't vote, and if I did it wouldn't have been that choice.

As I have suggested before, consider a Bible study with others. It like eating with others. It is always more pleasant to share a meal with those we love than to eat alone.

This reminded me of a song I've heard once before. I don't really like it, but this lyric I love because of how poetic it is.

And the waitress is practicing politics,
As the businessman slowly gets stoned.
Yes they're sharing a drink they call 'lonliness',
But it's better than drinking alone.

Obviously not a Christian verse, but just spending time with those who have a higher up and a lower down than you is always better than being alone. A Bible study just brings a third person into that picture: God.

Nathan and Darktipper, when my husband was going through unemployment, I read "Man`s Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl, and found a lot of helpful thoughts in it that maybe would be useful to you. I actually read this after reading Job 3 and I wanted answers to Job`s very questions. Job was basically asking "what`s the use of living or even being born when one just has to suffer so much?" I`ll admit that I wondered the same thing. I`ve experienced a lot of hardships in life, but I`ll tell you through every hardship a joy comes as well. It is true that morning comes after the darkness. Life for some people seems to be all smooth sailing, but for others of us, it`s a bumpier road! But one thing that always keeps me going is God said in Rev. we are to be overcomers. So when I hit a bump and I feel like I can`t climb over this next mountain, I remember God tells me to overcome and I pull myself up and I start climbing again. My climb may not be as fast or strong as others but I`m climbing and that is what matters to God. We have to just keep on climbing and overcoming the challenges in life. Overcoming often is hard, long, burdensome work but we just have to keep pressing on. This is what God calls us to do. Be overcomers, Nathan and Darktipper and God will be pleased with you and someday reward you.

I watched a movie called Sarah's Choice. There's a scene where this guy (I think it was this character's father) was talking to this character (the son). The son said he was thinking about making Sarah get an abortion, and not going through marriage or something. He then hit him for being stupid, and explained what marriage really is. You don't always love somebody and make it stick. Love takes work. That's where I am, except... I'm broken up with somebody I really wanted to work with.

He also says, that you have to plow through all the bad stuff, to get to the good stuff, and the good stuff is amazing.

I'm in a situation now, where I look at who she is now, where she is... and I say, "This is just impossible", and I know God says it's not impossible. And that's my mindset when it comes to longterm. When it comes to the short term, I wake up wanting to tell her how much she means to me and how much I love her, and I realize I can't. It drives me mad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually didn't vote, and if I did it wouldn't have been that choice.

This reminded me of a song I've heard once before. I don't really like it, but this lyric I love because of how poetic it is.

And the waitress is practicing politics,
As the businessman slowly gets stoned.
Yes they're sharing a drink they call 'lonliness',
But it's better than drinking alone.

Obviously not a Christian verse, but just spending time with those who have a higher up and a lower down than you is always better than being alone. A Bible study just brings a third person into that picture: God.

I watched a movie called Sarah's Choice. There's a scene where this guy (I think it was this character's father) was talking to this character (the son). The son said he was thinking about making Sarah get an abortion, and not going through marriage or something. He then hit him for being stupid, and explained what marriage really is. You don't always love somebody and make it stick. Love takes work. That's where I am, except... I'm broken up with somebody I really wanted to work with.

He also says, that you have to plow through all the bad stuff, to get to the good stuff, and the good stuff is amazing.

I'm in a situation now, where I look at who she is now, where she is... and I say, "This is just impossible", and I know God says it's not impossible. And that's my mindset when it comes to longterm. When it comes to the short term, I wake up wanting to tell her how much she means to me and how much I love her, and I realize I can't. It drives me mad.

Nathan, I`m glad you did not vote "no hope". I`m guessing Darktipper put in a vote for no hope but who the other 2 are irritate me unless they are also in a state of depression and then I can feel for them. But still even if one feels hopeless, they don`t have to discourage others by telling them they have no hope either. I`m a little disappointed in the other 2 who voted "no hope" to a person that is struggling.

Although I don`t agree with the lyrics of the song, yes that is the idea that company and sharing with the company helps remove a sense of loneliness.

Experiencing a broken heart is probably one of the toughest things a person can go through but it also seems to be one of the most common. If you sit in a room with people probably most have experienced a broken heart by someone they love. The pain takes time to heal, but eventually it does heal and someday you can even look back with some perspective and see why it may not have been the best relationship for you or her, and how God had something better for you, but it is hard when you are going through it. Just keep pressing on and continue trusting and believing in the providence of God.

I want to share one thought from Frankl`s writing. He said "If there is a meaning in life at all then there must be a meaning in suffering. Without suffering and death, human life can not be complete. The man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails. The way in which he takes up his cross gives him ample opportunity to add a deeper meaning to his life".

Suffering is not easy and not fun, but we can`t face it without giving it some value. It has meaning and when we recognize it has meaning and value then we don`t regard it as an enemy but as a potential friend who will give depth to our lives. Face your individual sufferings with courage and dignity. And just keep climbing and striving to get over this mountain you are facing. Don`t give up!

Nathan Suicide is not the answer to suffering...... It would be an easy way out and hurt more than yourself.......

Pjt
I did not even vote on the poll. So 3 people out there says there is no hope....

I prayed last night and it felt a bit odd..... Maybe Jehovah did not hear my prayers.
I dunno.

James 1:2-4

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

God has His plans for you, and you will only come out stronger if you go through tough times.

Also, God hears your prayers.

1 John 5:14

This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

James 1:2-4

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

God has His plans for you, and you will only come out stronger if you go through tough times.

Also, God hears your prayers.

1 John 5:14

This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

It is doing the opposite to me..... It is making me frustrated.... No matter what I do nothing good happens. I don't think he is into my concerns. I think I need to stop praying for a while. It makes me sound like a broken record. People always say trust God but I don't see what his plan is for me. I can pray for a certain job then apply myself to apply for it or submit something and I will get rejection letters in my email. Multiple. Sometimes I feel like flipping over a car. I just hate how people look down on me a bit as if I never tried.... I bet I will be in the same spot next month. I just don't understand...

Let go of the frustration, that only fuels Satan to get you to doubt God and yourself, it is understandable when trying to look for a job, I have my own struggles with it. I had the perfect job just last year but I completely ruined it by quitting, I gave into Satan's lies back then without knowing it. I suggest having your Church pray with you for a job, that is a really good way to get the perfect one. Also have patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let go of the frustration, that only fuels Satan to get you to doubt God and yourself, it is understandable when trying to look for a job, I have my own struggles with it. I had the perfect job just last year but I completely ruined it by quitting, I gave into Satan's lies back then without knowing it. I suggest having your Church pray with you for a job, that is a really good way to get the perfect one. Also have patience.

I saw a homeless guy today and felt bad for him. I saw him once before somewhere else but I have nothing that I could give to him because I am broke myself.....
Sometimes I can see myself being homeless one day. I am gearing up for another proposal to a company I want to work for but I bet that I will get rejected once more. I prayed over my last attempts and failed so this time I am not praying over it anymore. I stopped praying for a few days now. I get tired of praying for the same stuff over and over again. They barely get answered so why bother anymore? I hear other people's testimonials and I sit here like " Why can't that happen to me?" But that is life...... I have had too many disappointments concerning my future.

I saw a homeless guy today and felt bad for him. I saw him once before somewhere else but I have nothing that I could give to him because I am broke myself.....
Sometimes I can see myself being homeless one day. I am gearing up for another proposal to a company I want to work for but I bet that I will get rejected once more. I prayed over my last attempts and failed so this time I am not praying over it anymore. I stopped praying for a few days now. I get tired of praying for the same stuff over and over again. They barely get answered so why bother anymore? I hear other people's testimonials and I sit here like " Why can't that happen to me?" But that is life...... I have had too many disappointments concerning my future.

I think you`re forgetting several things. 1) The widow who kept going back to the judge over and over again until he just gave her her way to hush her up and to get her out of his hair. Jesus said this is how we should pray. Just keep going back to God. Everytime we think He does not respond or hear, don`t give up, keep going back and don`t stop praying.
2) You are looking at the instant testimonies. These can be discouraging to those who don`t get immediate answers. But you have to look at the long term testimonies too like Mark 5:25 the woman who had an issue of blood for 12 YEARS! or what about John 5:5 the invalid who had been waiting for the healing waters for 38 YEARS! All these years he`d seen others healed but not himself, but did he give up? No and neither did the woman with the issue of blood. Answers don`t always come instantly as some testimonies seem to suggest. Sometimes you`ve got to sweat it out and be persistant, but you can never give up.

I think you`re forgetting several things. 1) The widow who kept going back to the judge over and over again until he just gave her her way to hush her up and to get her out of his hair. Jesus said this is how we should pray. Just keep going back to God. Everytime we think He does not respond or hear, don`t give up, keep going back and don`t stop praying.
2) You are looking at the instant testimonies. These can be discouraging to those who don`t get immediate answers. But you have to look at the long term testimonies too like Mark 5:25 the woman who had an issue of blood for 12 YEARS! or what about John 5:5 the invalid who had been waiting for the healing waters for 38 YEARS! All these years he`d seen others healed but not himself, but did he give up? No and neither did the woman with the issue of blood. Answers don`t always come instantly as some testimonies seem to suggest. Sometimes you`ve got to sweat it out and be persistent, but you can never give up.

I can't wait 38 years for my dream job......I have been praying the same prayers for years and I keep getting shot down. I don't have any God testimonials like most christians. I have had some people tell me that is not God's dream job for me but I am not good at anything else. I just have a sense that I am about to fail again on my next attempt which is coming soon. I just have to finish my proposal/pitch.

I can't wait 38 years for my dream job......I have been praying the same prayers for years and I keep getting shot down. I don't have any God testimonials like most christians. I have had some people tell me that is not God's dream job for me but I am not good at anything else. I just have a sense that I am about to fail again on my next attempt which is coming soon. I just have to finish my proposal/pitch.

Dark, if you`re going to make a final pitch for this job, you`ve got to get some hope. You can`t walk in with an air of defeat. You`ve got to go in with an air of confidence in God. You can`t stop praying now.

Dark, if you`re going to make a final pitch for this job, you`ve got to get some hope. You can`t walk in with an air of defeat. You`ve got to go in with an air of confidence in God. You can`t stop praying now.

The opposite will just happen if I pray. I have been disappointed in the past. I prayed over a few of my proposals and even was thinking positive only to get rejection letters. I have tried multiple companies and same responses. On this new one I am working on, I have not fully finished it due to me knowing that it is going to be shot down. I have people telling me that I am good enough to make it but I tell them no I am not. Then they look at me funny. I usually tell them if I am good then I would have been made it. My prayer life is slowing down.....

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back