Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Photographs One awesome photograph! What is it?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Timmy G

Greetings everyone, and thanks for taking the time to check out my photograph.

I took this picture in South Dakota in 2007. The item in the photo was not visible to my naked eye nor through the camera viewfinder when it was taken, only days after I returned home to view my travel photos did I realize what I captured. I took four photos of the sunrise that morning, the other three pictures do not contain anything out of the ordinary.

My camera was a digital Canon Rebel XT 8mb. Exposure was 1/8th of a second and in this particular photo the flash was used (on accident actually; the camera was still set on auto from the night before).

After receiving this gift, something told me not to plaster it all over the internet; at that time it was meant for myself and inevitably the people who I showed it to over the years. Regardless of what you may perceive to be in the picture - it has changed lives.

A couple months ago, for reasons I'm sure that will come out in this thread eventually (provided there is interest) I decided to draw my interpretation of what I saw. I ran this photo through filters and changed colors and hue settings and have subsequently been shown some things within -which I am presently working to make public. However, along the way I felt the need to introduce this photo to those who have faith, so I'm kickin it up a notch. :biggrin My thoughts were perhaps at an online forum I could run into people who may have some experience with photographs and things of this nature.

Thanks again for taking the time to give it a looking over, and for responding to this post if you do.

Peace

View attachment 2700

To make clear, this photo has not been manipulated in any way (outside of maybe a slight contrast enhancement). It is not something I created using a program or anything like that. I merely captured something digitally... and this is it.

May I ask what you believe it to be? The thought of prisms come to mind but I believe they are normally geometric. Somewhat rare in South Dakota but possible are the Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights. Light refraction's through a camera lens can also produce bending of light patterns. I will note it is interesting. Thanks.

Hi Timmy G,

Even if you think this is something special, I would imagine this picture has not brought anyone closer to God. Jesus performed miracles in front of the Pharisees and thousands of others, yet many of the same people were screaming, 'Crucify Him,' after Jesus had his flesh shredded from a scourging. If this has changed many people's life, I'm afraid to ask just how this changed their life.

- Davies

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about this as you've had 5 years with it. If it's not something on the lens I don't understand what the scale of it would be.

Thanks for the quick replies :)

Personally, after much thought and research (into digital anomalies) I am confident it is something. lol... what that means is that it is not a refraction of sorts, it is not a bug, it is not smoke. It is something of, and I use this loosely considering its possible context, intelligent design. I simply say this because it has discernible features.

I have shown this to over 100 people in five years... without leading them. Every single person who saw this picture said they saw an angel. Half of them within a second or two.

Davies, you said
Even if you think this is something special, I would imagine this picture has not brought anyone closer to God. Jesus performed miracles in front of the Pharisees and thousands of others, yet many of the same people were screaming, 'Crucify Him,' after Jesus had his flesh shredded from a scourging. If this has changed many people's life, I'm afraid to ask just how this changed their life.
Exactly what I think really doesn't matter now does it? I have come here to see what others think. I never claimed this picture brought anyone closer to God... and I wonder why you would even insinuate such. My claim was that it has changed many lives. That my friend, is a fact. And outside of that, I really wonder why you are even "afraid" to ask.

It has been my experience, considering everyone's answer, that through this photograph people have something tangible to grasp; something that says life is much more than it appears. This picture, my post and this reply aren't meant to fuel arguments of any kind about miracles Jesus performed (while people yelled crucify him) ... and I still don't see the connection. What it is about are the possibilities of what is actually in the photo. What this picture has brought with it for some is hope, and for others a reinforcement of their faith. Neither of these are assumptions, these are things that people have told me.

Have you ever seen someone who has lost hope? They are searching for something to help them believe that all the strife in their life has purpose, and when you see them view this picture and gain something from it, when they actually believe there is more (because seeing is believing) their life takes on more meaning, at least for them. If you don't understand this, sorry about that.

As with my friends and others who I have shown this to, I make no claims. I leave everything up to the viewer. I don't try to sell them any answers, and no - they don't drop to the ground worshiping some picture. It simply makes them think, and usually more positive. To that end I am pleased, and I really don't know who wouldn't be.

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

afterthought: within a few days I should have the next step of this project completed and be able to show everyone what I have discovered within the photo itself. I'm sure there will be some interesting takes on it... and once again, thank you everyone for your thoughts and I do look forward to expanding this discussion.
TG

Last edited by a moderator:
Gordon said:
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about this as you've had 5 years with it. If it's not something on the lens I don't understand what the scale of it would be.

The scale of this object has been on the forefront of many conversations with my friends and colleagues. I love the way you think. I took four pictures that morning, and actually overlaid this one onto another one of the four. The lens was actually zoomed in a trifle for this shot, naturally bringing the object in a little bit, and even with the overlay showing a bit more of the surroundings I feel it is really impossible to tell its actual size (nothing for reference). This one is probably a question that will never have a firm answer. That being said, the details that I have gleamed from the object itself are quite incredible, so I feel that its size is most likely not very small and I highly doubt it was within five feet of my location.

Hi Timmy G,

You know what should give people hope that is far superior than any thing you may have photographed? A snail, a worm, a microscopic bug, the intricacy of creation. Creation is a huge neon, 3-D sign whose volume leaves no doubt that God exists, that God is caring, that loves, and that God is all powerful. I haven't even mentioned the Bible who's supernatural nature is plain for anyone to read. If want to give anyone hope, I'll give them the Gospel, not an accident.

You haven't stated how this has changed someone's life. It gave them hope? What hope did it give them that creation doesn't offer on a far surpassing level? If you sense I'm not happy with your revelation in the picture, it's because it doesn't point to Jesus, it points away from Him.
Matthew 16:4

New King James Version (NKJV)

4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet[a] Jonah.” And He left them and departed.

- Davies

Davies,

I do not disagree with you in regards to exactly what should or could give others hope.

The fact I am breathing is a good enough reason for me to believe, that and the fact He gave me all my senses to enjoy His presence. Sorry, I don't need a snail, a worm, or a microscopic bug; I don't have to look outside of myself for the answer. I am all the proof I need. Genesis 1:27

My revelation? You crack me up Davies... I confess, I am really happy to see that I have found someone who knows so much about other peoples feelings and what exactly moves those feelings. Perhaps you have saved me much time when it comes to using the internet to discern what others think about this photo; you may be exactly what I need, the guy who knows what it is like to walk in the shoes of many. I mean, it's clearly evident you speak for everyone's ineptness at life along with their inability to interpret or learn about its greatness. Thanks for that, as well as your omniscience regarding this photograph.
:thumbsup

IMO - If you weren't so quick to tear something down perhaps you'd realize that when people have a strengthening of faith, or have hope (1 Corinthians 13:13) they may even return to, or have an increased interest in, the gospel.

Timmy G,

I suppose I should be silent on this matter and let people be encouraged that they see an image in a picture produced by a flash. Better yet, how about an image of Jesus in a grilled cheese sandwich. People might ask about the Gospel. I suppose I'm inept in seeing the greatness in the "awesome" picture. If you don't disagree with what should or could give others hope, then perhaps you can explain to me just exactly what many, who have seen this picture, are putting their hope in. If you weren't so quick to build the picture up as some fulcrum of faith in which 'many' have been given hope and desired to repent, then perhaps I would be congenial, or perhaps you can understand my discontent with the picture because it isn't what should or could give someone hope. Of course, you know me better than anyone else portrayed in your eloquent appraisal of my 'omniscience.' I'm sure you will find many people who will love your photograph.

- Davies

It looks like you took a pic of an angel figurine but put the focus on the background. How did I do?

Help me out here... when did I say or mention:

"brings people closer to God"
"Jesus"
"desire to repent"

Davies, it appears that you fully enjoy putting words in other peoples mouths (or text, to be literal in this case) only to tear them down (kind of like arguing with yourself, isn't it?). Never have I uttered any of the above, nor insinuated these things. It's unfortunate in my eyes that those who claim to have faith quickly dismiss anything out of the ordinary. Are you saying that you know definitively how God works, utterly and completely? .... patiently waiting for your canonization.

Comparing a picture of something unseen which appeared in a photo - to a burnt spot on a piece of bread is quite sad. Taking a simple question of what do you see and turning into how wrong not only I am about any subsequent feelings it may create - but also in regards to those who have even seen as well (and how they may subsequently feel) is also quite sad. I already told you how it has effected people and still you tell me you didn't see my answer.... only to tear down my answer and whatever positive may have come from it - is definitely extremely sad. People see something that gives them religious hope of some kind and you set it afire? ...whatever ~

Remember this line? :biggrin My thoughts were perhaps at an online forum I could run into people who may have some experience with photographs and things of this nature.

Not sure how you translated that to: I am coming here to find insight but I'd rather have someone tell me how dumb I am, how dumb my friends and colleagues are, and how having hope (no matter how it comes about) is a bad thing.

I revel in your omniscience.
If you need help translating that: Acts 5:39

Sorry to watch you guys go at it when you just got here. This is something that is clearly important to you. Rather than attack each other maybe we can let some of this go? I am sure if you ask enough people some would dismiss what you have here. Thats just normal. Even if it is an angel I do agree with the point of not seeking after signs. I did that and it was very destructive. I would see it as something you can use to start a discussion about God with unbelievers. Something to make people think rather than evidence because you wouldn't want people to place their faith in a picture.

Back