Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

'Pets first' or man?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

I know how much we care for our animals. I like dogs and monkeys. I like birds too. I always sport with my sister's chicken.:biggrin (I do not like snakes and rats etc as pets - God forbid).

But some of us tend to give more attention to ours pets than our fellow human beings. Some prefer their animals to human beings. That sounds crazy. And it is true.

Someone was asked: 'How is your family doing?' and the man responded angrily: 'Do not ask me that question again. :angry. I prefer you ask me about my dog.'

Another man said: 'My dog obeys me. He is my best friend'...implying his dog is his priority.

Now some spend more money on their pets more than they would on People:sad :shocked

How seriously do we take our pets in place of of family or friends?

This inordinate concern for animals (usually pets) is a recent phenomenon in the West that has little to do with Christianity itself and more to do with a revival of paganistic concepts coupled with the prevailing liberal indoctrination of our educated milieu.

While it's true that, as stewards of God's creation, we must treat animals and the environment responsibly, this tendency of putting them on par with human beings is disordered and dangerous.

It's sad that the Western world has reached a stage in history where dogs and cats have more value than babies.

Just an animal. You get attached to them but you know what? They don't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

Dog dies... you get a new one. You are sad for a little while and then you aren't because you got a new dog and that's that.

People who get attached to animals to an obscene amount do so because they don't have a person in their lives. It's sad that there are people so alone in this world.

This inordinate concern for animals (usually pets) is a recent phenomenon in the West that has little to do with Christianity itself and more to do with a revival of paganistic concepts coupled with the prevailing liberal indoctrination of our educated milieu.
I think we need to be careful here, and the "liberal indoctrination" line is not really helpful as it bends the conversation into an "us vs them" direction. I could equally choose to use language like "right-wing indoctrination", but it really adds nothing and only serves to antagonize and divide.

But more to the point, I am not sure precisely on what Biblical basis you set man "above" the animal world in terms of instrinsic value (if this is what you are doing). True, humans are clearly set in a "stewardship" role, as you correctly point out.

In short, can you make a Biblical argument that God sees animals as "less beloved", or otherwise less "valuable" than human beings.

Yes, we are permitted to eat them, and in the Old Testament, God sanctions their killing in the context of sacrifice. But, that some Old Testament has God ordering genocides of human beings.

I want to be careful and not read too much into your post, but I suggest that, if anything, the error Christianity has made is in the other direction, namely that we see animals as a resource to be exploited, and not as creatures to be nurtured. To be fair to you, you appear to acknowledge this responsibility.

It is obvious that God made man higher than animals.
Genesis 1:26 NKJV
Then God said, Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.

1 We are made in the image of God
2 We have dominion over animals

Just an animal. You get attached to them but you know what? They don't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

Dog dies... you get a new one. You are sad for a little while and then you aren't because you got a new dog and that's that.

People who get attached to animals to an obscene amount do so because they don't have a person in their lives. It's sad that there are people so alone in this world.

You are right. But when there is a priority over man...

A man quarrelled with the wife. Why?

She wants Three creatures in a bed...or at least her dog besides her.

The woman allowed her dog to sleep in the same bed where the husband sleeps.
Now you have a woman and the dog on the same bed. Where would such a poor man sleep.

Maybe they need a bigger bed? My parents mange two dogs on their queen sized bed... :biggrin

Drew I know that is your usual talking point whenever someone throws out the word "liberal" but its the truth and I in fact DARE you to make a cohesive sentence that uses FACTS to blame a bunch of "right-wing conservatives" (redundant much there Drew?) for people putting an animal before another human.

I'd say people who prioritize animals before humans are pagan/secular/nonchristian. Not to say that Christians don't have and love and care for animals but that for the most part we know where priorities lie in the way of the value of a life.

Oops reread that post there Drew my bad

Last edited by a moderator:
It is obvious that God made man higher than animals.
Genesis 1:26 NKJV
Then God said, Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.

1 We are made in the image of God
2 We have dominion over animals
Please read my post more carefully, if this is a response to my post. Not only do I not deny what you are saying, I affirmed it.

No one is saying that humans are not "higher" than animals in the sense of having a stewardhip role over them.

But that is an entirely different thing than saying humans have more value than animals.

I assume you agree that God placed man "over" woman in terms of leadership. Does that mean that God accords more value to men than to women?

Maybe they need a bigger bed? My parents mange two dogs on their queen sized bed... :biggrin
:toofunny :clap
I hope your wife does not keep a snake as a pet in your own case...

Serpents are pets too. I wonder how you'd scream when she says, 'Sugar, permit me to introduce a third party, a darling snake.'

Consent is inevitable - and agreement wonderful

Please read my post more carefully, if this is a response to my post. Not only do I not deny what you are saying, I affirmed it.

No one is saying that humans are not "higher" than animals in the sense of having a stewardhip role over them.

But that is an entirely different thing than saying humans have more value than animals.

I assume you agree that God placed man "over" woman in terms of leadership. Does that mean that God accords more value to men than to women?

I understood your post.
I believe God attaches more value/importance to man.

Don't mind snakes at all. I had one once...

...it tasted SOOO good! Like chicken with a kick! :toofunny

Now cats... Not even in my house! I think I'd have to get a divorce over a cat.

I understood your post.
I believe God attaches more value/importance to man.
Can you defend this, Biblically, remembering that the one who is "in charge" is not necessarily more valuable.

Obviously, I know that humans are made in the image of God whereas animals are not. But how does that mean that humans are more valuable?

Don't mind snakes at all. I had one once...

...it tasted SOOO good! Like chicken with a kick! :toofunny

:toofunny My brother hates that too

Can you defend this, Biblically, remembering that the one who is "in charge" is not necessarily more valuable.

Obviously, I know that humans are made in the image of God whereas animals are not. But how does that mean that humans are more valuable?

In the sight of God or man or both?

Matthew 6
" <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV1984-23308">25</sup> “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV1984-23309">26</sup> Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV1984-23310">27</sup> Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

I love God's creatures and believe in treating them with care (except cats ;)). I believe this points toward us, who were created in His image, being more cherished than animals. Can you site anything that says animals are of equal importance to His children? This is an honest question.

did i read that right? so if hear my dog howling in my house my wife says help fire. i should grab my dog first?

no, cheyenne will the last to leave after i get all humans out first. sorrry but thats the facts.

Jason you are so nice... I'm not even going back into a burning building for my dogs. If they don't have the brains to get themselves out then that's too bad for them.

I love God's creatures and believe in treating them with care (except cats ;)).

:angry2 stigma
Poor and Innocent cats! These two have planned against you.

Are dogs better rat hunters than cats? No!
Do they consume less food? No - cats eat less.
Lower cost of maintainance? No - cats need less.

I get it. People who don't need cats love rats - Because only cats are king hunter of rats.

dogs are good at polishing off your dishes and heaping up ordure in the house.

Do not discriminate cats.

Cats. Truncate 'C' and add 'R' you get Rats.
Cast cats and rate rats or Cast rats and rate cats :chin

The commonality is just the 'ats'.

I don't think I can visit a universe of rats in your homes:biggrin

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back