Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Pink Floyd is the greatest rock band ever!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I bought the two singles a couple of months ago on iTunes and loved them. Got a nice high res album art pdf too :). I can't wait to hear the album.

Rush is pretty good but no Pink Floyd. I liked the album, "2112". But Getty Lee always sounded like he was sucking helium. That dude has a freaky voice. They just had a concert here in Detroit this past weekend. One member is 57 years old, and they played for 3 1/2 hours with an intermission! (That's what a caller to a radio station said, anyway.)
C'mon Mike! They're still rockin at that age and pulling out just as good albums as they were in in the 70's. Such great stuff! With the exception of the Rolling Stones they are the most sucessful progressive rock band in history.

Rush is pretty good but no Pink Floyd. I liked the album, "2112". But Getty Lee always sounded like he was sucking helium. That dude has a freaky voice. They just had a concert here in Detroit this past weekend. One member is 57 years old, and they played for 3 1/2 hours with an intermission! (That's what a caller to a radio station said, anyway.)

Having a unique vocal style is a plus in Prog-Rock. I mean, you want to hear Barry Manilow singing "And the meek shall inher-it the earth..."? C'mon.

YouTube - Rush - The Temples of Syrinx (lyrics)

I'm prepared to get ridiculed for this, but I think Rob Thomas (with or without Matchbox 20) is WAY underrated. He has an instinct for his craft and a great delivery. I've never heard anything from him that I didn't like or love. I'm not putting him among the all-time greats, but I think when his career is done, his body of work will put him among them. He just consistently puts out great stuff; one of my favorites to get going on iTunes when I'm on the net. :thumbsup

I'm prepared to get ridiculed for this, but I think Rob Thomas (with or without Matchbox 20) is WAY underrated. He has an instinct for his craft and a great delivery. I've never heard anything from him that I didn't like or love. I'm not putting him among the all-time greats, but I think when his career is done, his body of work will put him among them. He just consistently puts out great stuff; one of my favorites to get going on iTunes when I'm on the net. :thumbsup
I totally agree. His solo stuff espeically is great. I have been raised in rock, but Rob Thomas and Alicia Keys got me into hip-hop and R&B/soul. Legends, both of them. :yes

@Nick, your quote reminds me of a famous saying by Lord Vader upon hearing people clap who can't find the 2 & 4: "I find your lack of Funk disturbing."

What Jimi Hendrix did for rock nobody before him or after him has done, he alone changed the course of rock. He was here in Philly the year that he died. He was here in June of 1970 and he died September the 18th 1970. I could not get up the money to buy the ticket or something I forgot exactly what it was I mean the tickets were only like 7 bucks, so it must have been something else. But not going to that show is one of the regrets in my life, because that September he was dead. Through him my eyes and ears were opened to all the possibilities in creating music. And because I am a musician that has helped me and millions of others immensely. Most musicians out there are aware of Jimi's impact. Jimi was a innovator and so was his drummer Mitch Mitchell, who was the first drummer ever to fuse jazz drumming with rock and he also was the first drummer to use the drums as a lead playing instrument in rock, him and Jimi fed off of each other, with Mitch doing what no other rock musician had done before him. Jimi, Mitch and Noel were truly the super group.
The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Artist
Album
Are You Experienced?
Year
Genre
Psychedelic, blues rock

Artist
Album
Axis: Bold As Love
Year
Genre
Psychedelic, blues rock

Artist
Album
Electric Ladyland
Year
Genre
Psychedelic, blues rock

In his brief four-year reign as a superstar, Jimi Hendrix expanded the vocabulary of the electric rock guitar more than anyone before or since. Hendrix was a master at coaxing all manner of unforeseen sonics from his instrument, often with innovative amplification experiments that produced astral-quality feedback and roaring distortion. (allmusic.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for Rush... years ago when they came out with A Farewell to Kings and then Hemispheres.. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.. their stuff just makes me happy.. lol..

Loving the progressive rock side of things.. I fell in love with Joe Satriani and his style.. until I heard Frank Gambale.. the guy is a master at sweep picking.. I'm sure he's from a different planet !

Loving the progressive rock side of things.. I fell in love with Joe Satriani and his style.. until I heard Frank Gambale.. the guy is a master at sweep picking.. I'm sure he's from a different planet !

I guess I'm not progressive, because I've never heard of these people in my life!

I guess I'm not progressive, because I've never heard of these people in my life!

Wow.. I can understand not hearing of Frank Gambale (he's more fuzion type jazz etc), but not hearing of Joe Satriani ? ? ? LOL..

If you like great guitar players, check them out sometime.. they're both awesome imo.

If you like Classical guitar, check out David Russell.. he's considered one of the all time great guitarists.

@Riverwolf, Mitch Mitchell was awesome, but have you heard the story of how he was chosen by Hendrix? It was a choice between Mitchell and Aynsley Dunbar and Hendrix flipped a coin to pick the former. Personally, Aynsley Dunbar is one of my all-time favorite drummers. Here he is with Montrose:

YouTube - Montrose- Rock Candy

+1 for Rush... years ago when they came out with A Farewell to Kings and then Hemispheres.. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.. their stuff just makes me happy.. lol..

Speaking of Satriani, my son used to take lessons from his drummer, Jeff Campitelli. Great teacher, great player.

From Jeff's pilot position: YouTube - "Crowd Chant" Live in Wroclaw, Poland

Now, if we're talking real Prog., here's some Porcupine Tree: YouTube - porcupine tree - wedding nails (Ao vivo DVD)

Eventide, since you like that kind of stuff you might also like my music appreciation page on Facebook called Radio That Doesn't Suck. I think there's another Facebook page with the same name, but mine is the one that actually doesn't suck. Seriously though, if you look it up it's the one with a post regarding Tool's song Lateralus at the top. Check it out.

Man we must have played Dark Side Of The Moon, a million times when it came out and a long time after, sometimes under the influence of LSD. Now as far as Pink Floyd being the best, I can't go with that. You had groups like Yes, you had Led Zep, King Crimson, Emerson Lake & Palmer, that is just to name a few.

:) mine was The wall I loved that album

Such a typical conservative! :lol

----

When considering greatest bands ever, you need to consider the influence the band or artist has had on music. Pink Floyd....eh.
Like them or not, consider the influence the following bands have had on the music industry, and then try and debate me!
Elvis Presly, Jimmy Hendrix, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Yes, Rush, Deep Purple, Led Zepplin.

I'm not a fan of pink floyd at all. Actually I think their music is terrible. Not hatin on people who like them, just saying they aren't for me.

I'm not a fan of pink floyd at all. Actually I think their music is terrible. Not hatin on people who like them, just saying they aren't for me.

As much as I love Pink Floyd, I can definitely see how they're style wouldn't be appreciated by everyone. :nod

Welcome to CFnet, Juurt!

Back