Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] PJT in Japan

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Thank you Mike, Reba, and Jason for your continued heartfelt prayers. We truly appreciate them. And I agree Mike that God is in control, and with Him there is nothing to fear. We just have to trust Him, because things like this are simply out of the control of man. Actually, it is nice knowing we have God whom we can rely on.

Tomorrow we will have about 8 hours of rationing of our electricity where we will go without in about 4 hour blocks in the morning and the late afternoon/evening both right during breakfast and dinner prep. times. This is done to share ours with the people in Miyagi who have none, and also to help provide electricity to the nuclear plant to help get it under control. We are also having gas rationing. I have no idea why the gas is rationed since I don`t see any connection with it and the disaster but that`s just the way it is so we have to deal with it. I may be ongoing, but I hope the electricity is only rationed for a day. Nevertheless, we have to prepare for more if need be. So I may not be able to stay in touch as much depending on how long the electricity rationing goes on.

Jason they are starting to do radiation scans of people closer to the nuclear site, but that has not come down to my area. The poor little children seem to have scared faces with strangers doing these scans on them. I read I should take potassium iodine but it`s all sold out. So I guess everyone had the same idea! I`ll have to wait until it is restocked, and hopefully it`s not really needed anyway.

can you get that substitute salt that has kI(potassium iodine ) in it. also i will read up on what is happening there on another site. and post any revalant info if its helps. gas is rationed as problaby no way to get new fuel there as the refinery is hit and they may have ship it in. just a guess of course.

Know that we're praying for you and your neighbors and friends, pjt...keep us in touch as you are able.

:pray

can you get that substitute salt that has kI(potassium iodine ) in it. also i will read up on what is happening there on another site. and post any revalant info if its helps. gas is rationed as problaby no way to get new fuel there as the refinery is hit and they may have ship it in. just a guess of course.

i will post what i have read on the other forum, or pguy may post before me.

While I have electricity I thank everyone for your continued prayers and will tell you our present situation. There is absolutely no gas in our town now and the grocery stores have no food. All the shelves are empty. I imagine that is due to the gas shortage or companies not wanting to come near a nuclear zone. I don`t know which! But I do know the gas shortage makes no sense to me. Miyagi is a farming town, not a major import town. The big import towns are Kobe, Osaka, Yokohama, and Nagasaki. These are up and running fine so import should not be affected. But anyway, there is no gas or food now. I don`t know if in a day or two things will get back to normal or if we are about to face food and water rationing.

But with the present situation, people are not as concerned about the nuclear situation. When I went out today I was the only one wearing a mask and even I wondered if it was worth it. Here is an English translation of what we were told about the nuclear situation " “At the risk of raising further public concern, we cannot rule out the possibility of an explosion,†Edano said. “If there is an explosion, however, there would be no significant impact on human health.â€

I don`t know about others of you but I look at that report and think "a nuclear explosion will cause no significant impact on human health!" That`s what we have been told! My goodness!

While I have electricity I thank everyone for your continued prayers and will tell you our present situation. There is absolutely no gas in our town now and the grocery stores have no food. All the shelves are empty. I imagine that is due to the gas shortage or companies not wanting to come near a nuclear zone. I don`t know which! But I do know the gas shortage makes no sense to me. Miyagi is a farming town, not a major import town. The big import towns are Kobe, Osaka, Yokohama, and Nagasaki. These are up and running fine so import should not be affected. But anyway, there is no gas or food now. I don`t know if in a day or two things will get back to normal or if we are about to face food and water rationing.

But with the present situation, people are not as concerned about the nuclear situation. When I went out today I was the only one wearing a mask and even I wondered if it was worth it. Here is an English translation of what we were told about the nuclear situation " “At the risk of raising further public concern, we cannot rule out the possibility of an explosion,†Edano said. “If there is an explosion, however, there would be no significant impact on human health.â€

I don`t know about others of you but I look at that report and think "a nuclear explosion will cause no significant impact on human health!" That`s what we have been told! My goodness!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the thing about nuclear power-plants is that a plant explosion does not cause heaps of radiation problems, so it won't be another Hiroshima or anything like it. The problem is the nuclear waste.

I think, anyway. But perhaps someone who actually has a clue about science can provide a more knowledgeable opinion, or fact.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the thing about nuclear power-plants is that a plant explosion does not cause heaps of radiation problems, so it won't be another Hiroshima or anything like it. The problem is the nuclear waste.

I think, anyway. But perhaps someone who actually has a clue about science can provide a more knowledgeable opinion, or fact.

Oh, so the information we got is correct! That`s nice to know Nick. It`s hard to imagine how a plant explosion would be safe. It would seem to me it would really spread the radiation but I`m no scientist. I hope you and this government official are right.

Oh, so the information we got is correct! That`s nice to know Nick. It`s hard to imagine how a plant explosion would be safe. It would seem to me it would really spread the radiation but I`m no scientist. I hope you and this government official are right.
Considering he's a government official, he should be right about this one. I'm not qualified at all to speak on this, but only what I've heard.
The plant explosion would be like a normal explosion, I think, but there probably wouldn't be a radiation spread.

Perhaps the government is keeping some things under wraps for the time being to avoid panic, but I doubt they'd straight out lie to the people.

It wouldn't be a nuclear explosion, but one caused by steam pressure or possibly a gas explosion.

Considering he's a government official, he should be right about this one. I'm not qualified at all to speak on this, but only what I've heard.
The plant explosion would be like a normal explosion, I think, but there probably wouldn't be a radiation spread.

Perhaps the government is keeping some things under wraps for the time being to avoid panic, but I doubt they'd straight out lie to the people.

I don`t know Nick. I don`t think just because someone is an official it automatically means they are right. And no I don`t think it`s meant to be an out and out lie. I just see contradictions on the one hand we are told our health will not be affected but on the other hand we are told not to let rain water touch us, don`t eat vegetables from outside, to cover our faces, and now people are being scanned for radiation. So it gives mixed messages. If we are simply told not to worry because even an explosion will cause no risks to our health then why do we need all these precautions? The French and German embassies are advising their citizens to leave Japan, and the French have brought potassium iodine for their citizens according to my French and German friends.

Theo, yes, I realize it would not be like a nuclear bomb, and I do hope the information we are getting is correct that there are no health risks. I want to believe this, but common sense tells me it can`t be good for radiation to be leaking in the air. Anyway, as Mike said it`s all in God`s hands. We just have to trust Him with the situation.

can you get that substitute salt that has kI(potassium iodine ) in it. also i will read up on what is happening there on another site. and post any revalant info if its helps.

According to the French embassy anyone 12 and older needs 130 mg of potassium iodine for it to be effective and "Timing is very important. You should take it from 6 hours before contamination. Those have no effect 4 hours after contamination."

Do you know if that is accurate? I don`t know if seaweed or salt would provide that much potassium iodine but we are eating seaweed as advised since that is a standard staple I always have in my home. I also have sea salt which I`m sure has some potassium iodine in it. I will look at the spaceport link when I have a little more time, maybe tomorrow.

I don`t know Nick. I don`t think just because someone is an official it automatically means they are right. And no I don`t think it`s meant to be an out and out lie. I just see contradictions on the one hand we are told our health will not be affected but on the other hand we are told not to let rain water touch us, don`t eat vegetables from outside, to cover our faces, and now people are being scanned for radiation. So it gives mixed messages. If we are simply told not to worry because even an explosion will cause no risks to our health then why do we need all these precautions? The French and German embassies are advising their citizens to leave Japan, and the French have brought potassium iodine for their citizens according to my French and German friends.

Theo, yes, I realize it would not be like a nuclear bomb, and I do hope the information we are getting is correct that there are no health risks. I want to believe this, but common sense tells me it can`t be good for radiation to be leaking in the air. Anyway, as Mike said it`s all in God`s hands. We just have to trust Him with the situation.
Contradictions disasters like this are normal and to be expected. Many nuclear analysts are simply not sure what exactly will happen. What is clear is that this is not anywhere near cherryonbol.
I just saw a half-hour news piece on the nuclear side of this. It will be put online tomorrow and I'll link you to the reports. Very interesting stuff.
From what I've gathered, most of the stuff they're doing is precautionary - they're preparing for the worst possible senario. Better do that than to downplay it. The potassium iodine tablets are part of this process. I would be far more worried if the government wasn't taking these steps, to be honest.

I agree, just because they're government officials doesn't mean they're right, but that's where the official announcements are made from, and they usually come from the best advisers and nuclear experts. I know nuclear experts from London, the US, Germany and Australia (and there could be more) are advising the Japanese government on this, as well as Japan's own nuclear personel. So I would assume that in this case the Japanese government have good grounds for what they say.

According to the French embassy anyone 12 and older needs 130 mg of potassium iodine for it to be effective and "Timing is very important. You should take it from 6 hours before contamination. Those have no effect 4 hours after contamination."

Do you know if that is accurate? I don`t know if seaweed or salt would provide that much potassium iodine but we are eating seaweed as advised since that is a standard staple I always have in my home. I also have sea salt which I`m sure has some potassium iodine in it. I will look at the spaceport link when I have a little more time, maybe tomorrow.

i would defer you to what they say there. i could ask them if you like.

i would defer you to what they say there. i could ask them if you like.

Jason, I don`t think it matters now since I doubt a little packet of seaweed would be enough potassium iodine and we can`t eat all the food since the shelves in the stores are empty. Today the officials have said things may be "critical" as they think radiation has leaked, but again we get contradictions. We are told it is critical but everyone is safe so don`t worry. Today is will rain and the schools in my area are in session but I kept my children home since my son has a 30 minute walk to school and almost always comes home wet. He often doesn`t use his umbrella and my daughter splashes in all the puddles. If we are safe then it shouldn`t be a problem with how much rain water they get on them yet we are told not to get rain water on us. It is so confusing with the info. we are getting. I will try again today to get some food. The stores should be open now. Fortunately in Japan people act civilally so there`s no fighting or stealing of food. In fact, my neighbor gave me 6 carrots yesterday night since I could not get anything in the stores. The spirit of the Japanese people is very good. For example, my neighbor was finally able to contact her family in Miyagi and they are alive but living in their car. She said they were very happy because they were alive. They had no complaints despite their house gone. My other neighbor who has family in Miyagi, I am not so sure the news is that good, but she is holding up strongly.

The oddest thing about the present situation is everyday we wake up with the hope of things will be better today but it seems like each day we take another step backwards. Today there are no trains running in my town or surrounding towns. Transportation has been stopped. And even the areas where transportation is available it only started at 9:30AM so you can imagine everyone will be late for work and school and the trains will be jam packed. My husband has a motorcycle which he used but we are told to stay off the streets because they are predicting a 7.0 or higher aftershock anytime in the next few days. And the roads are still not stable from the last big quake, but he has to do what he has to do. Also when we run out of fuel what do we do? We can`t buy any gas in my town. So my husband is better off than many, but this lack of transportation will have a big effect on industry thus the economy. At first when the quake was over, we just felt like okay let`s clean up and move forward, but now things feel like they are snowballing. Many of my foreign friends are now leaving although even leaving Japan is difficult because the tickets have skyrocketed.

But with all that said, the situation may not be good right now BUT I feel sincere gratitude to have God so whatever happens, happens. I know God is with my family. I`m also hopeful once this nuclear situation gets out of the way and the aftershocks stop (they are ongoing), then we can get back to normal.

Okay, I`m going to try and shop now!

Jason, I don`t think it matters now since I doubt a little packet of seaweed would be enough potassium iodine and we can`t eat all the food since the shelves in the stores are empty. Today the officials have said things may be "critical" as they think radiation has leaked, but again we get contradictions. We are told it is critical but everyone is safe so don`t worry. Today is will rain and the schools in my area are in session but I kept my children home since my son has a 30 minute walk to school and almost always comes home wet. He often doesn`t use his umbrella and my daughter splashes in all the puddles. If we are safe then it shouldn`t be a problem with how much rain water they get on them yet we are told not to get rain water on us. It is so confusing with the info. we are getting. I will try again today to get some food. The stores should be open now. Fortunately in Japan people act civilally so there`s no fighting or stealing of food. In fact, my neighbor gave me 6 carrots yesterday night since I could not get anything in the stores. The spirit of the Japanese people is very good. For example, my neighbor was finally able to contact her family in Miyagi and they are alive but living in their car. She said they were very happy because they were alive. They had no complaints despite their house gone. My other neighbor who has family in Miyagi, I am not so sure the news is that good, but she is holding up strongly.

The oddest thing about the present situation is everyday we wake up with the hope of things will be better today but it seems like each day we take another step backwards. Today there are no trains running in my town or surrounding towns. Transportation has been stopped. And even the areas where transportation is available it only started at 9:30AM so you can imagine everyone will be late for work and school and the trains will be jam packed. My husband has a motorcycle which he used but we are told to stay off the streets because they are predicting a 7.0 or higher aftershock anytime in the next few days. And the roads are still not stable from the last big quake, but he has to do what he has to do. Also when we run out of fuel what do we do? We can`t buy any gas in my town. So my husband is better off than many, but this lack of transportation will have a big effect on industry thus the economy. At first when the quake was over, we just felt like okay let`s clean up and move forward, but now things feel like they are snowballing. Many of my foreign friends are now leaving although even leaving Japan is difficult because the tickets have skyrocketed.

But with all that said, the situation may not be good right now BUT I feel sincere gratitude to have God so whatever happens, happens. I know God is with my family. I`m also hopeful once this nuclear situation gets out of the way and the aftershocks stop (they are ongoing), then we can get back to normal.

Okay, I`m going to try and shop now!
Wow, thanks so much for telling us some of what is going on over there, we are praying for you folks, is your family in any immediate danger?

Pjt, God bless you. You are a rock, though I'm sure you must have times that are better than others. This has to be a roller-coaster and a test of your faith for sure. There seems to be nothing to compare this to or draw from. The people of Japan are a horrific part of history in breaking new ground with each day. I just keep thinking through all of this, this is something the world has never seen. Given the geography of Japan and its isolation, your people are in a bubble.

It seems a time when God is literally all you have. This is true for anyone, but it shows itself much more boldly under these circumstances. Prayers, prayers and more prayers for you, pjt. :pray

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/
And scroll through the videos to the right, and click on "Grimstom: reactors are still contained". There are some other interesting videos as welll. These are about 5 hours old.

Wow, thanks so much for telling us some of what is going on over there, we are praying for you folks, is your family in any immediate danger?

Sam, I don`t know if we are in danger. We are told everything is fine and not to worry. Our health is not at risk even with all that`s happened with the nuclear plants. But on the other hand we`re told radiation has leaked and to avoid breathing the air if possible and to stay inside as much as possible.

Jason, you asked some posts back if we were told to wash when we come in from outside. We are now being told to do that, but again we are told all is fine.

Nick, my computer access is becoming limited and my electricity will soon cut off so I probably won`t have to time to watch the videos for now.

Praise God I was able to get some food today. The experience was both strange and pleasing. Strange in that when I went to get money at the ATM it was closed so I could not have access to my money. (Fortunately I had $50 in my purse so I could still shop.) Also, when I got to the store 4 things struck me
1) it was dark. Grocery stores are always well lit and have music but now all the stores I went to turned out the lights to conserve energy. So on a cloudy day I shopped in a dark store.
2) so many shelves were empty. There`s no bread, rice, batteries or paper products. A neighbor told me he saw someone on the street selling 4 batteries for $40. I mean normally we can buy 4-6 batteries for $1 so it gives you an idea of what is going on.
3) The prices of groceries are up but still affordable thanks be to God.
4) the lines of people went all the way to the back of the store

But the pleasant side of it all was despite the shelves being empty and so many people wanting to buy food, no one was running and greedily grabbing. Everyone just got what they needed for their family and left for others. And everyone was casually walking. I think everyone was able to buy something. It was a very calming experience to see the need but how civil everyone was, but I expected that from the Japanese. If the Japanese ever start shoving then things are bad, but for now all are civil.

Also I saw an old woman buying flowers somehow in this chaos that was so lovely to me. The food is short, but she bought flowers. The men of course were buying beer which didn`t surprise me either.

This afternoon there was some gas to be bought but the line was long.

Mike, thank you for your continued prayers. We truly appreciate them.

If you can't watch the video in the link I posted above, this link is a transcript of that video:
http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2011/s3163900.htm

they are telling you that so that there's not wide spread panic. i will look more into the effects of cherynobl as three meltdowns have occured and post on the long term effects. there was some in europe from that.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back