Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] PJT in Japan

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
they are telling you that so that there's not wide spread panic. i will look more into the effects of cherynobl as three meltdowns have occured and post on the long term effects. there was some in europe from that.
The nuclear situation in Japan is totally different to that in cherynobl. Apples and oranges mate. :yes

Sam, I don`t know if we are in danger. We are told everything is fine and not to worry. Our health is not at risk even with all that`s happened with the nuclear plants. But on the other hand we`re told radiation has leaked and to avoid breathing the air if possible and to stay inside as much as possible.

Jason, you asked some posts back if we were told to wash when we come in from outside. We are now being told to do that, but again we are told all is fine.

Nick, my computer access is becoming limited and my electricity will soon cut off so I probably won`t have to time to watch the videos for now.

Praise God I was able to get some food today. The experience was both strange and pleasing. Strange in that when I went to get money at the ATM it was closed so I could not have access to my money. (Fortunately I had $50 in my purse so I could still shop.) Also, when I got to the store 4 things struck me
1) it was dark. Grocery stores are always well lit and have music but now all the stores I went to turned out the lights to conserve energy. So on a cloudy day I shopped in a dark store.
2) so many shelves were empty. There`s no bread, rice, batteries or paper products. A neighbor told me he saw someone on the street selling 4 batteries for $40. I mean normally we can buy 4-6 batteries for $1 so it gives you an idea of what is going on.
3) The prices of groceries are up but still affordable thanks be to God.
4) the lines of people went all the way to the back of the store

But the pleasant side of it all was despite the shelves being empty and so many people wanting to buy food, no one was running and greedily grabbing. Everyone just got what they needed for their family and left for others. And everyone was casually walking. I think everyone was able to buy something. It was a very calming experience to see the need but how civil everyone was, but I expected that from the Japanese. If the Japanese ever start shoving then things are bad, but for now all are civil.

Also I saw an old woman buying flowers somehow in this chaos that was so lovely to me. The food is short, but she bought flowers. The men of course were buying beer which didn`t surprise me either.

This afternoon there was some gas to be bought but the line was long.

Mike, thank you for your continued prayers. We truly appreciate them.
We are praying for you here, pjt and for all of Japan. I have been reading all of your posts and appreciate the updates as to the way we can specifically pray. The news is constantly on here.
I agree with Mike, you are a rock.
I have family members who work with Japenese people and when they are in the US we have them over for dinners and bbques, they are always very happy and pleasant, so I can see where they would not be grabbing things off the shelf and being respectable to one another, an example for the rest of the world.

We are praying for the Pajama lady in the Threads.. How lovely for the lady with the flowers... ....
Consider the lilies they toil not nor spin.... Your Father knows your needs.....

Everytime I hear about something of Japan I think of you and your family. It is probably information that really is not going to make a difference to you, but I promised I would ask at work about radiation and water.

At first they would only play around with me, but I finally talked to some one who knows their stuff and he said it's possible to treat water with radiation by "softening it". It's when you raise the ph dramatically. Not fesable on a small scale, but it is something that can be done and we would have to do it here if things get that bad.

Anyways, I did not want to make you think I had forgotten.

Sam, I don`t know if we are in danger. We are told everything is fine and not to worry. Our health is not at risk even with all that`s happened with the nuclear plants. But on the other hand we`re told radiation has leaked and to avoid breathing the air if possible and to stay inside as much as possible.

Jason, you asked some posts back if we were told to wash when we come in from outside. We are now being told to do that, but again we are told all is fine.

Nick, my computer access is becoming limited and my electricity will soon cut off so I probably won`t have to time to watch the videos for now.

Praise God I was able to get some food today. The experience was both strange and pleasing. Strange in that when I went to get money at the ATM it was closed so I could not have access to my money. (Fortunately I had $50 in my purse so I could still shop.) Also, when I got to the store 4 things struck me
1) it was dark. Grocery stores are always well lit and have music but now all the stores I went to turned out the lights to conserve energy. So on a cloudy day I shopped in a dark store.
2) so many shelves were empty. There`s no bread, rice, batteries or paper products. A neighbor told me he saw someone on the street selling 4 batteries for $40. I mean normally we can buy 4-6 batteries for $1 so it gives you an idea of what is going on.
3) The prices of groceries are up but still affordable thanks be to God.
4) the lines of people went all the way to the back of the store

But the pleasant side of it all was despite the shelves being empty and so many people wanting to buy food, no one was running and greedily grabbing. Everyone just got what they needed for their family and left for others. And everyone was casually walking. I think everyone was able to buy something. It was a very calming experience to see the need but how civil everyone was, but I expected that from the Japanese. If the Japanese ever start shoving then things are bad, but for now all are civil.

Also I saw an old woman buying flowers somehow in this chaos that was so lovely to me. The food is short, but she bought flowers. The men of course were buying beer which didn`t surprise me either.

This afternoon there was some gas to be bought but the line was long.

Mike, thank you for your continued prayers. We truly appreciate them.
Thanks so much for sharing what is going on over there and with your family,I wish there was some way I could personally help you. It is great that the people are remaining civil to one another, we are praying for you.

The nuclear situation in Japan is totally different to that in cherynobl. Apples and oranges mate. :yes

not really, cherynobyl melted down and three reactors in that facility have done that, radation is being realised. otherwise why warn the people to stay inside.

2.5 hrs without cooling has occured in one reactor.

not really, cherynobyl melted down and three reactors in that facility have done that, radation is being realised. otherwise why warn the people to stay inside.

2.5 hrs without cooling has occured in one reactor.
But in cherynobyl something weird happened with the power to make it produce nuclear energy at a much faster rate than normal, or something like that.
I agree that the cooling situation could be a potential issue, but if some radiation does happen to escape, it will be very minimal from the experts I have listened to, and it will not survive many more days outside its container.

They are now telling us if it rains to wear a disposable rain coat and throw it away but everyone I know balks at that. We can barely buy anything at this point. The shelves are practically empty and they are telling us to be throwing away rain coats! We would be lucky to even be able to buy one at this point.

Today I took my dog for a walk and he is 2 years old, very healthy, never been sick in his life and he had bloody diahrea. I hope it is not associated with this, but I have to wonder.

Also today is a very lovely clear but windy day. The wind is blowing south in my direction. I live south of Fukushima and heard a strange sound. I went out to see what it was and this heavy cloud passed over head. All the rest of the sky was bright blue. Again I don`t know if it is related. The American Embassy says just what the Japanese media says. It says a "very low" amount of radiation has been detected outside of Fukushima all the way to Tokyo but not enough to do any bodily harm so not to worry about it. On the other hand, the French embassy is telling its citizens to get to Osaka. Leaving is not so easy now because transportation is down and gas is limited.

We are also continuing to have aftershocks in the 6 range. Personally I prefer the risk of radiation to the earthquakes because radiation you can`t see or feel, but the earth shaking beneath you and the walls of your house shaking while holding your child is not very comforting. With the big quakes I felt completely calm but these repeated quakes are starting to wear on me. My friends also said the continual quakes are getting to them too. But today I decided I have to pull myself together and not let the quakes get to me.

Today I read a very comforting Psalm. I think I will work on putting it to memory since we are told to try and stay inside. It is Psalm 46 and it says "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah."

God`s Word is filled with every imagineable treasure for all situations if we dig inside and find them. God is a very good God all the time!!!!! I praise His holy name!

Sam, thank you for your kind sentiments. They are appreciated. The biggest thing anyone can do right now is just pray. I have it much better than many. In the Miyagi area there is no water, no sewage, and the people are only getting 1 cup of water and one rice ball a day. The cup is not a big American size cup but a small cup. They are without homes, some don`t know if their family members were swept away in the tidal wave, and the heat is rationed. Some have no heat due to no gas, yet the area is cold. It is very tough for them. But none of us can understand why the food and gas shortage. It just makes no sense.

Pizza, I will try to look at the link.

Everytime I hear about something of Japan I think of you and your family. It is probably information that really is not going to make a difference to you, but I promised I would ask at work about radiation and water.

At first they would only play around with me, but I finally talked to some one who knows their stuff and he said it's possible to treat water with radiation by "softening it". It's when you raise the ph dramatically. Not fesable on a small scale, but it is something that can be done and we would have to do it here if things get that bad.

Anyways, I did not want to make you think I had forgotten.

Thank you Nathan for thinking of my family and getting information on our behalf. It is very kind and thoughtful of you. May God bless you!

Rockie, Reba, and Handy, thank you for your prayers. Prayers are mightier than an army or any situation we face here on earth. Your prayers are very valuable and meaningful to me. Thank you.

Nick, I will look at the Psalm. Thank you.

But none of us can understand why the food and gas shortage. It just makes no sense.

It's because of transportation problems. Under normal circumstances, people use those things up pretty fast, but you don't notice it since shelves are constantly being refilled. But when transportation is difficult and they can't restock, the shelves empty pretty quickly.

It's because of transportation problems. Under normal circumstances, people use those things up pretty fast, but you don't notice it since shelves are constantly being refilled. But when transportation is difficult and they can't restock, the shelves empty pretty quickly.

Theo, I don`t think it`s transportation. I placed an order for my son`s Jr. High School uniform and it came right away. The mail service is running just fine. There`s no problem getting mail here from anywhere in the world. Miyagi of course you can`t drive through with ease but my area is different. My area you can drive through just fine. Even Tokyo is experiencing empty shelves but the streets are fine there too. If it were a transportation problem everyone would understand, but that is definitely not the case. The gas and food can get here. And surely the government could get more food than one rice ball to the people in Miyagi. The government has plenty of rice stored for emergencies. The self defense forces are able to get into Miyagi so they can take it and let the people cook it. Transportation is not impossible for that area either. There is no excuse. Transportation is not the problem. They can get the stuff here, but for some reason they are not. If I order a washing machine, they can have here tomorrow. It`s not transportation.

Lamentations 3
"17 I have been deprived of peace;
I have forgotten what prosperity is.
18 So I say, “My splendor is gone
and all that I had hoped from the LORD.â€
19 I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.
20 I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.
21 Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:

22 Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.â€

25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
26 it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the LORD."

Pjt, no one hopes or asks for affliction, but if there is any part of you that can focus on the Lord to sustain you, there could come a day when you teach your children something amazing. In sheer day-to-day dependence on the Lord, I believe we can experience Him like never before. Most of us can't say what it is to depend on Him for the next day. You can. I pray that, whatever happens, He gives you a portion of resolve to let Him be God.

Let there come a day when you can tell stories to your children and grandchildren about how the Lord sustained you. What an amazing testimony you are giving to those around you, us on this board, and that you will be able to pass on to generations to come. When He Pulls you through this and you find peace, this you can tell your children. I was faithful, and God saw me through it. I know you must have times when you feel your faith is not as strong as others, so I pray you don't receive this with a sense of guilt that you're not completely relying on the Lord at all times. I believe He knows your heart and that you are trying to let Him sustain you.

They are continuing to update that page. You almost want to read from the BOTTOM of the page backward to the top, as updates appear at the top of the page, forcing old posts down.

PJT, my heart goes out to you and everyone over there. I have watched the videos of the water over running cities, the earthquake was bad enough, but the tsunami seems like an 'end of the world' kind of thing.

The science-minded side of me keeps thinking of the tremendous energy the planet released during all of this. Truly scary and overwhelming.

My son is still on his ship, off the coast of Korea (unless they have been diverted back to Japan for search and rescue, but I"m not sure what good a guided missile destroyer would be in that role). My daughter-in-law has only posted on Facebook once since friday, she is in Tokyo with her parents (where she was when it hit) and she says they are "safe".

What I am seeing in news reports looks as bad as World War II, but on (I think) a larger scale.

I find that all I can do is pray.

I really want to thank everyone for your prayers. I really felt them yesterday. Yesterday I was starting to feel a bit anxious with more aftershocks, a son going stir crazy from being locked up in the house for a couple of days, my dog`s condition, and friends saying they can`t take it anymore and are leaving and spliting up their families. But later in the day not just a calm but a very joyful calm came over me so I could happily play with my children and we could laugh and have a good time. And my husband and I also had some laughs alone together. God brought to my mind this verse Phillipians 4:6-7 "6Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." I`m going to tell you the truth. In a crisis your greatest weapon is prayer and scripture. You can save up food but look at the tsunami people, it was all washed away. You can depend on the government but several of the embassies are leaving so their people have to fend for themselves. You certainly can`t depend on nature, money or anything else, only God. I think any soldier discovers this. Maybe this is why in 2 Timothy 2:3 we are called to "Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ."

As for our present condition, they are trying to cool down the plant. We have been told if it can`t be cooled down there will be a massive release of radiation, but the sort of good news is the wind is blowing towards the ocean today rather than on the people so if it explodes the radiation will go out on the ocean. Of course, that is not good either because it will effect the food supply but at least the people will not be as hard hit. We are also told to brace for more aftershocks because they are not over yet. My husband is about to run out of gas so please pray he can find some. He had enough to get to work but not back home. Also please pray for the nuclear site to be cooled down. Finally I read the number of orphans is growing in the Miyagi area. My goodness, how tragic! Please pray for these children who will need caring people to look after them. As for now they are just in shelters, I don`t think Japan is able to look for placements for them at this time. There are so many other pressing needs.

Mike, thank you for the very encouraging scripture. I enjoyed reading that. It was lifting to my spirit. And thank you for your kind, encouraging words.

Pizzaguy, apparently the US navy backed away from the nuclear sites because radiation was detected on the planes so I think your son will not be deployed to Japan, but nevertheless, having a son on a guided missle destroyer ship in the Korean region is never a completely settling feeling either.

Is your daugher-in-law Japanese, Pizza? I did not realize you had family in Japan so this must be very personal for you too. May God watch over your daughter-in-law.

Pizzaguy, apparently the US navy backed away from the nuclear sites because radiation was detected on the planes so I think your son will not be deployed to Japan, but nevertheless, having a son on a guided missle destroyer ship in the Korean region is never a completely settling feeling either.

Is your daugher-in-law Japanese, Pizza? I did not realize you had family in Japan so this must be very personal for you too. May God watch over your daughter-in-law.
Well, he's on his ship, but I think they are off the coast of Korea. News reports have said that some U.S. military personell are working search and rescue - but I only heard that once.

Yea, her name is Yuki and she's from Tokyo. She lives on the base when Kevin is home, and goes home to Mom and Dad when he's out to sea.

I feel as tho he's pretty safe on the ship. Being military, they are prepared for Nuclear and Biological hazards. I'm more concerned for her, but it sounds like Tokyo is safe and will remain so.

Sounds like the nuke plants will have electricity within hours. This will enable them to pump cooling water - that does not sovle the problems entirely, but given them tools to do so.

I remain confident that the nuclear problems will be resolved in time.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back