Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll: Respecting her tattoo wish

Should Christians respect a woman's wish for a tattoo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I've seen some really cool ones, especially the ones that sometimes show up on my facebook feed. (Someone who's friends with me on there likes a page about tattoo designs and likes or shares some of the posts sometimes.)

Yeah.
@questdriven :

So have you seen any more cool ones lately?

Blessings.

I'm looking at this poll of yours on the top of the page (that's what got me here to begin with).
There is no choice to vote "no".
And instead you put a Pontius Pilate choice (I'd rather not say), very wishy washy.
We need a new poll, unbiased.

I was asked not to start another thread/poll, but maybe it would be okay if you did so.

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought is why this poll has specifically targeted women & not men as well? I have 3 tattoos, 2 are rather large on my back and one is very small behind my ear. I think about getting more, too! One being a quote from the Bible. Anyways, I do like Abide's point that we should mark up our Bibles & not our skin. I find marking up one's body in other ways (ie drug abuse) to be much more offensive than tattoos.
[MENTION=96885]sjlord88[/MENTION]:

Actually you make a good point; and although some on here might seem to stuggle with the idea of tattoo equality for women, @for_his_glory made a good point also when she said a while back:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by for_his_glory
The gender aspect should be the same for a women or a man, but since you did say a women then I would have no problem with that of a women owning her own parlor..

and I agree with her - and I think with you - about the tattoo equality which women exercise with men.

So you have 3 and are planning more? I saw your great wedding photos and I'm guessing that you didn't have any issue (which does occur with some wedding planning) about whether the bridesmaids should show their tattoos or not; some tattoo-less brides want their bridesmaids to cover any tattoos with make up; but some tattooed brides feel, together with their bridesmaids that their tattoos are all part of their personal style and in gowns this is a perfectly ideal time to have them visible also.

So have you decided on the Bible reference yet and placement that you are planning for your next tattoo?

[/quote]

So you have 3 and are planning more? I saw your great wedding photos and I'm guessing that you didn't have any issue (which does occur with some wedding planning) about whether the bridesmaids should show their tattoos or not; some tattoo-less brides want their bridesmaids to cover any tattoos with make up; but some tattooed brides feel, together with their bridesmaids that their tattoos are all part of their personal style and in gowns this is a perfectly ideal time to have them visible also.

So have you decided on the Bible reference yet and placement that you are planning for your next tattoo?[/QUOTE]

I really like "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Heb 11:1, and I've considered just getting the words "faith hope love". Most likely on my back, out of sight, out of mind & easy to hide haha! My 3 sisters were my bridesmaids, all have tattoos, I didn't even give the idea a thought that their tattoos should be covered. One did cover her's because she doesn't like it.

I mentioned earlier that "I" don't find tattoos offensive, but after some thought, I realized it really doesn't matter what I think, it's about what God thinks! ;)

So have you decided on the Bible reference yet and placement that you are planning for your next tattoo?

I really like "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Heb 11:1, and I've considered just getting the words "faith hope love". Most likely on my back, out of sight, out of mind & easy to hide haha! My 3 sisters were my bridesmaids, all have tattoos, I didn't even give the idea a thought that their tattoos should be covered. One did cover her's because she doesn't like it.

I mentioned earlier that "I" don't find tattoos offensive, but after some thought, I realized it really doesn't matter what I think, it's about what God thinks! ;)
@sjlord88 :

Oh this is a lovely verse; and Hebrews happens to be a favorite book of the Bible! Seems like back really is a preferred placement as well.

So all four of you sisters are tattooed; well this is lovely, too, and I guess it's hardly unusual any more. Kind of, all part of growing up, isn't it (and especially if mom either directly or by implication encourages it).

Yes, well, re. bridesmaids, it's kind of come full circle now, I think, and because of gowns being what they are, some brides and bridesmaids who aren't tattooed even see the wedding day as the time when some tattoos ought to be shown and so there are even kits for temporary bridal tattoos. Did you see the temporary bridal tattoo kits on the Web? (not that you need them now, of course).

... one is very small behind my ear. I think about getting more, too!

PS:
[MENTION=96885]sjlord88[/MENTION]: (Didn't mention before, what you said: ) Well, behind the ear must feel a really cool place to get tattooed!

Especially perhaps if you were the first person in your family to get one in that placement.

So all four of you sisters are tattooed; well this is lovely, too, and I guess it's hardly unusual any more. Kind of, all part of growing up, isn't it (and especially if mom either directly or by implication encourages it).

My mother certainly did not encourage it! "Mutilation of the body" she would say, same with any piercings. I didn't see any temporary tattoo kits for bridesmaids though, kind of funny! Makes me wonder, I am going to be a bridesmaid in my friends wedding next summer... I wonder how she'll feel about my tattoo showing? Guess I'll find out! Tattoo behind the ear hurt the least, surprisingly.

My mother certainly did not encourage it! "Mutilation of the body" she would say, same with any piercings. I didn't see any temporary tattoo kits for bridesmaids though, kind of funny! Makes me wonder, I am going to be a bridesmaid in my friends wedding next summer... I wonder how she'll feel about my tattoo showing? Guess I'll find out! Tattoo behind the ear hurt the least, surprisingly.
@sjlord88 :

Even piercing ears is 'mutilation'? :)

Hope you guys have a great time planning for your friend's wedding, anyway. And re. the tattoo, if your friend doesn't mention anything beforehand and you approach her wedding with the same matter of fact attitude that you showed about your and your sisters' tattoos at your wedding, then chances are you won't go far wrong.

Yes, I would have thought that behind the ear would have hurt a bit more; maybe from the pressure of the inking needle onto the bone.

Take care.

(PS: If I find the website for the temp. bridals, I'll pm it to you; though I guess you and your sisters don't need it because you guys have already gotten the real thing.)

Hi Ms Reena Jain (if you read this!): You are from India, right? is this a widespread custom in your country, maybe? because these days in the West it certainly is. Not a few Christians get faith related designs inked. I guess the tendency might vary a bit from one country to another, though. Blessings.

Having funky & neat tatoos are in trend / fashion here too ! However I would never go for it ! The idea of having something painfully embedded on flesh for ever till I die scares me :) !!

Having funky & neat tatoos are in trend / fashion here too ! However I would never go for it ! The idea of having something painfully embedded on flesh for ever till I die scares me :) !!

Ms Reena: Well, it's not for everyone, of course. There is always numbing cream that can be used to avoid the pain that you fear, such as Dr Numb, though I don't know if it or similar creams are available so readily in India. (Do you like the look of tattoos that are 'funky and neat', especially Christian designs, maybe?) Blessings.

Trinity is embedded deep in & on my Heart / spirit !! :) Dont think..I would want one on flesh .

Blessings,

Ms Reena:

Yes, indeed; it's the heart that comes first, right? :) What you say reminds me of Paul in 2 Corinthians 3.3: '...Ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God..in fleshy tables of the heart'.

(Some Christians do also like to have a faith based design inked for more pragmatic, witness reasons, since they are a proven conversation starter.)

Blessings.

Last edited:
Hey Farouk,
The faith tattoo is on my lower arm.
The tattoo sleeve cover is actually of a bird and stars. I did not design it- my tattoo artist did. The bird was done in several sessions. It cost quite a bit. I would like to get a tattoo on my shins, but I don't know when I'll get it because I have to save up for it.

Angel:

Well, sounds a lovely lower arm sleeve (which is the one you interpret as a faith message to people?). And a lovely further tattoo plan, anyway. Often counts as ankle, I think anywhere between the knee and foot, doesn't it?

(I've taken the liberty of replying on a tattoo thread, since the mods have asked me before to keep to topic.)
Blessings.

Farouk,
...I noticed that my generation has more people with tattoo's then my parents generation.

Angel:

Did your parents learn about your nice sleeve? and were they maybe appreciative? sceptical?

But I think family members get used to tattoos in the end.

Blessings.

Angel:

Did your parents learn about your nice sleeve? and were they maybe appreciative? sceptical?

But I think family members get used to tattoos in the end.

Blessings.

When I first started getting tattoos, my Mom was a little turned off by it. Now, she doesn't have problems with tattoos at all. :)

Also, everyone compliments my bird tattoo :)

When I first started getting tattoos, my Mom was a little turned off by it. Now, she doesn't have problems with tattoos at all. :)

Also, everyone compliments my bird tattoo :)

Angel:

Your mom doesn't have any herself, then.

Yes, sounds like what started as a corrective measure against an unwanted skull has become established as a woerk of art in its own right. Maybe you're planning other ones in a similar style to your lower arm sleeve with the bird and stars?

Anyway, you can see how they can be such conversation-starters that people motivated for faith based designs can expect to use them in testimony, maybe quite frequently.

Blessings.

Farouk,

I have a question for you. You seem to be fascinated by Tattoo's. Why is that? :)

(It's not a bad thing- I'm just curious!)

Back