Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Pregnant woman fired for not marrying fiance

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Given the time and the culture we live in today I would not attend a church nor fellowship with 'Christians' who decided they don't have to 'get' married--for what that means in this culture--to be married. I could not honestly fellowship with people who are having sex without being married. That has been recognized as, and considered, fornication for so long in our culture that there is no excuse for the Spirit-filled Christian to just decide they can do that and can call it 'marriage' just because they want to.

It makes my blood boil every time I see what the church has done to the grace of God. Frankly, I'm appalled at the number of people in this forum who have rationalized sleeping with someone who you are not married to.
No one in this thread has suggested anything of the kind. We have been discussing various ideas on what constitutes marriage in God's eyes according to scripture (of which you haven't contributed any), but it seems you are wrongly convinced some of us are advocating sex outside of marriage. I think that's where your disagreements are coming from. I've seen no one advocate that except one post that you misunderstood, but was quickly clarified by the poster. I've seen no none here say the things you are accusing them of.

No one in this thread has suggested anything of the kind. We have been discussing various ideas on what constitutes marriage in God's eyes according to scripture (of which you haven't contributed any)...
Why have you not been reading my posts?

...but it seems you are wrongly convinced some of us are advocating sex outside of marriage. I think that's where your disagreements are coming from. I've seen no one advocate that except one post that you misunderstood, but was quickly clarified by the poster. I've seen no none here say the things you are accusing them of.

When you insist that marriage is a state of mind, you are advocating sex outside of marriage.

I find it interesting that you all claim this state of mind of marriage is the exact same thing as getting a license, yet you won't get the license. you're afraid of something. Regina says she's afraid of the law and made a whole list of ridiculous rationalizations for not getting a marriage license. Among them: Somehow getting a marriage license is making a covenant with the enemy. But I'll bet tomorrow's lunch she pays sales tax to her local government.

It's sinful rebellion. Plain and simple.

When you insist that marriage is a state of mind, you are advocating sex outside of marriage.

I find it interesting that you all claim this state of mind of marriage is the exact same thing as getting a license, yet you won't get the license. you're afraid of something. Regina says she's afraid of the law and made a whole list of ridiculous rationalizations for not getting a marriage license. Among them: Somehow getting a marriage license is making a covenant with the enemy. But I'll bet tomorrow's lunch she pays sales tax to her local government.

Rebellion...excellent word.

How can it be sinful rebellion when God never commanded it?

I am not talking about Common-law marriage I am talking about a real legal marriage.
I don't know who is teaching you your law, but that is a very big mistake on your part. Common-law marriage is a real legal marriage. Another big mistake you and some others are making is we are not disputing the requirements that have to be met to get a secular marriage license or that the secular marriage license is required before the government will acknowledge a pre-common law marriage. We are discussing God's views on marriage. I take if from your post that you must then be of the frame of mind that God needs this secular permission before He is allowed to consider a person married?

in Colorado what we term as common law marriage is every bit as legal as a licensed one in California
Unless it's changed recently, California enforces common law marriage too. I know there are some web sites that say it doesn't but I know it is (or at least was a few years ago). I know, how dare I question the truth of anything posted on the internet! But I personally enforced common law marriage laws in California under the authority of the state government.

You're just going to push this to your demise aren't you? Quote the post where I or anyone else claimed marriage was just a state of mind. Quite frankly I've had enough of your false accusations in this thread.

Last edited:
I don't know who is teaching you your law, but that is a very big mistake on your part. Common-law marriage is a real legal marriage. Another big mistake you and some others are making is we are not disputing the requirements that have to be met to get a secular marriage license or that the secular marriage license is required before the government will acknowledge a pre-common law marriage. We are discussing God's views on marriage. I take if from your post that you must then be of the frame of mind that God needs this secular permission before He is allowed to consider a person married?
Question: "What does the Bible say about the concept of a common law marriage?"

Answer:
One online encyclopedia defines common-law marriage as follows: "Common-law marriage, sometimes referred to as informal marriage, is a form of interpersonal status in which a man and a woman are legally married. The common-law marriage is a verbal or written contract between a man and a woman to be married, usually without a ceremony or license. A common-law marriage can only be dissolved by petitioning a court for a divorce. Common-law marriage is very similar, but distinguishable from civil unions or non-marital relationship contracts." Webster’s New College Dictionary defines common-law marriage as follows: "A marriage existing by mutual agreement and cohabitation between a man and a woman without a civil or religious ceremony."

For most states and countries that recognize common-law marriage, the requirements vary some but usually consist of (1) capacity to marry (not being involved in any other marriage) (2) mutually expressed desire (either verbal or written) to marry (3) a public expressing to others of that desire by referring to themselves as “Mr. and Mrs. ...,” etc., and (4) continually cohabiting. There is a common misperception that if you live together for a certain length of time (seven years is what many people believe), you are common-law married. This is not true anywhere in the United States.

Genesis 2:21-24speaks of God's original plan for marriage and will serve as the basis for the biblical definition of marriage: “And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.”

In the first few chapters of Genesis, God fills the earth with large numbers of different kinds of life. He doesn't just put a few fish in the ocean; it "abounds" with them. But when it comes to mankind, He makes just one male and one female, and those two were to become "one flesh." The implication fromGenesis 2:24is that this "one woman for one man for one lifetime" was a principle not just for Adam and Eve but for all who would be born to a father and mother. Jesus commented on this Genesis passage when the Jewish leaders brought up the topic of divorce: "But from the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female.’ ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’; so then they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate”" (Mark 10:6-9).

Marriage is the union of a man and a woman, creating a new entity, a new “whole” (one flesh). This union is brought about by a mutual commitment before God (expressed through a public vow today) to forsake all others, to keep themselves only unto their new partner, and to act in the best interest of the other (to love), and to seek to fulfill God’s purposes for their lives as a new unit. This commitment is to last as long as they both shall live (1 Corinthians 7:39).

Marriage is not merely a “friendship.” Although it is not the “consummation” that begins the actual marriage (or Joseph and Mary would not have been “married” until after Christ was born -Matthew 1:25), sexual activity is understood to be a natural part of marriage (Exodus 21:10;Hebrews 13:4). Today, the exchanging of the vows during a wedding ceremony is the vocalization of the commitment that was understood between biblical couples such as Isaac and Rebekah inGenesis 24:67.

Some of God’s purposes for marriage as stated in the Bible are companionship (Genesis 2:18), procreation (Genesis 1:28), mutual and undefiled pleasure (1 Corinthians 7:4-5;Proverbs 5:18-19; Song of Solomon;Hebrews 13:4), prevention of immorality (1 Corinthians 7:2,5), the serving of Christ as a whole and properly representing the spiritual relationship between Christ and the Church (Ephesians 5:22-33), and the raising of godly descendants (Malachi 2:13-16). The bond of marriage (when respected) leads to the good of not only the couple and their children, but also to the good of the society as a whole, for the family unit is the building block of any society.

While marriages throughout most of biblical history involve some type of public ceremony (and celebration), such a ceremony is not required for a biblical marriage to have taken place. In the case of Isaac and Rebekah and others, no ceremony is recorded (Genesis 24:67). But a common ingredient between common-law marriage and the one involving a ceremony is a publicly expressed intent to be married. Two people living together without that expressed intent does not constitute a common-law marriage, just cohabitation. Isaac and Rebekah did not just begin living together, there was a clear expression of intent that their union be of a permanent nature (marriage). Another common ingredient between common-law marriage and the one involving a ceremony and license is its legal standing. In order for a common-law marriage to be dissolved, a legal divorce must be pursued. (Again, in God’s original intent for marriage, there should be no divorce.) Another ingredient in these biblical marriages that did not involve a public ceremony as compared to those that did is that there was no sexual activity prior to their marriage, no cohabiting.

From a biblical perspective, there are a few troublesome issues about a common-law marriage. Two of the biblical purposes of marriage are (1) to use the union to serve Christ as a new unit and (2) to represent the greater reality of the union between Christ and His church. Historically, common-law marriage came into being because there were small villages in England to which a church official or a government official was unable to travel on a regular basis. Therefore, if a couple desired to get married, they could legally do so without the presence of either a church official or government official. But still there would be the component of a public declaration of their intent to marry before cohabiting. During World War II, there were common-law marriages that took place in Japanese prison camps between prisoners by a similar public declaration of intent. But for Christians under normal circumstances a public ceremony in a church enables them to begin their union before family and friends with a testimony of their intent to use their marriage to serve Christ and with a public witness of salvation from sin that is available through Christ.

As the Bible states that Christians are to “provide things honest in the sight of all men” (2 Corinthians 8:21;Romans 12:17), it is important that their marriage do the same. Common-law marriage is held to be legal marriage in only a few states. Even then, there are strict requirements governing the recognition of such unions. In those states, as long as the law is followed, a common-law marriage is not sinful. At the same time, every Christian should desire to live above reproach so that Christ can be honored in all that he/she does (1 Corinthians 10:31). A Christian couple should carefully weigh the options, consider their public testimony, and evaluate their own motives for dispensing with a public ceremony.

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/common-law-marriage.html#ixzz3OxZzvIyl

where does the Bible say to be married you must purchase a licence from the state?
Kathi you have said many times your read the Scriptures literally. Where do the scriptures say to get a licence for marriage from the state?

Genesis 2:21–24
21 So the Lord God caused a qdeep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. 8 into a woman and brought her to the man. rbone of my bones

and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called Woman
because she was staken out of Man.”9
therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

Mark 10:6–9
ffrom the beginning of creation, ‘God made them gmale and female.’h‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife,1ithe two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh.jWhat therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”
1 Corinthians 7:39
A wife is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only jin the Lord.

so far three of the passage got question
listed have said nothing about a licence

Ok, in Kathi's answer to my post, her law education comes from an internet web site she copied and pasted, whereas mine comes directly from accredited law professors in an accredited school where correct understanding was a requirement of graduation, as well as from a career's worth of daily experience. Thanks for that clarification.

Question: "What does the Bible say about the concept of a common law marriage?"

Answer:
One online encyclopedia defines common-law marriage as follows: "Common-law marriage, sometimes referred to as informal marriage, is a form of interpersonal status in which a man and a woman are legally married. The common-law marriage is a verbal or written contract between a man and a woman to be married, usually without a ceremony or license. A common-law marriage can only be dissolved by petitioning a court for a divorce. Common-law marriage is very similar, but distinguishable from civil unions or non-marital relationship contracts." Webster’s New College Dictionary defines common-law marriage as follows: "A marriage existing by mutual agreement and cohabitation between a man and a woman without a civil or religious ceremony."

For most states and countries that recognize common-law marriage, the requirements vary some but usually consist of (1) capacity to marry (not being involved in any other marriage) (2) mutually expressed desire (either verbal or written) to marry (3) a public expressing to others of that desire by referring to themselves as “Mr. and Mrs. ...,” etc., and (4) continually cohabiting. There is a common misperception that if you live together for a certain length of time (seven years is what many people believe), you are common-law married. This is not true anywhere in the United States.

Genesis 2:21-24speaks of God's original plan for marriage and will serve as the basis for the biblical definition of marriage: “And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.”

In the first few chapters of Genesis, God fills the earth with large numbers of different kinds of life. He doesn't just put a few fish in the ocean; it "abounds" with them. But when it comes to mankind, He makes just one male and one female, and those two were to become "one flesh." The implication fromGenesis 2:24is that this "one woman for one man for one lifetime" was a principle not just for Adam and Eve but for all who would be born to a father and mother. Jesus commented on this Genesis passage when the Jewish leaders brought up the topic of divorce: "But from the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female.’ ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’; so then they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate”" (Mark 10:6-9).

Marriage is the union of a man and a woman, creating a new entity, a new “whole” (one flesh). This union is brought about by a mutual commitment before God (expressed through a public vow today) to forsake all others, to keep themselves only unto their new partner, and to act in the best interest of the other (to love), and to seek to fulfill God’s purposes for their lives as a new unit. This commitment is to last as long as they both shall live (1 Corinthians 7:39).

Marriage is not merely a “friendship.” Although it is not the “consummation” that begins the actual marriage (or Joseph and Mary would not have been “married” until after Christ was born -Matthew 1:25), sexual activity is understood to be a natural part of marriage (Exodus 21:10;Hebrews 13:4). Today, the exchanging of the vows during a wedding ceremony is the vocalization of the commitment that was understood between biblical couples such as Isaac and Rebekah inGenesis 24:67.

Some of God’s purposes for marriage as stated in the Bible are companionship (Genesis 2:18), procreation (Genesis 1:28), mutual and undefiled pleasure (1 Corinthians 7:4-5;Proverbs 5:18-19; Song of Solomon;Hebrews 13:4), prevention of immorality (1 Corinthians 7:2,5), the serving of Christ as a whole and properly representing the spiritual relationship between Christ and the Church (Ephesians 5:22-33), and the raising of godly descendants (Malachi 2:13-16). The bond of marriage (when respected) leads to the good of not only the couple and their children, but also to the good of the society as a whole, for the family unit is the building block of any society.

While marriages throughout most of biblical history involve some type of public ceremony (and celebration), such a ceremony is not required for a biblical marriage to have taken place. In the case of Isaac and Rebekah and others, no ceremony is recorded (Genesis 24:67). But a common ingredient between common-law marriage and the one involving a ceremony is a publicly expressed intent to be married. Two people living together without that expressed intent does not constitute a common-law marriage, just cohabitation. Isaac and Rebekah did not just begin living together, there was a clear expression of intent that their union be of a permanent nature (marriage). Another common ingredient between common-law marriage and the one involving a ceremony and license is its legal standing. In order for a common-law marriage to be dissolved, a legal divorce must be pursued. (Again, in God’s original intent for marriage, there should be no divorce.) Another ingredient in these biblical marriages that did not involve a public ceremony as compared to those that did is that there was no sexual activity prior to their marriage, no cohabiting.

From a biblical perspective, there are a few troublesome issues about a common-law marriage. Two of the biblical purposes of marriage are (1) to use the union to serve Christ as a new unit and (2) to represent the greater reality of the union between Christ and His church. Historically, common-law marriage came into being because there were small villages in England to which a church official or a government official was unable to travel on a regular basis. Therefore, if a couple desired to get married, they could legally do so without the presence of either a church official or government official. But still there would be the component of a public declaration of their intent to marry before cohabiting. During World War II, there were common-law marriages that took place in Japanese prison camps between prisoners by a similar public declaration of intent. But for Christians under normal circumstances a public ceremony in a church enables them to begin their union before family and friends with a testimony of their intent to use their marriage to serve Christ and with a public witness of salvation from sin that is available through Christ.

As the Bible states that Christians are to “provide things honest in the sight of all men” (2 Corinthians 8:21;Romans 12:17), it is important that their marriage do the same. Common-law marriage is held to be legal marriage in only a few states. Even then, there are strict requirements governing the recognition of such unions. In those states, as long as the law is followed, a common-law marriage is not sinful. At the same time, every Christian should desire to live above reproach so that Christ can be honored in all that he/she does (1 Corinthians 10:31). A Christian couple should carefully weigh the options, consider their public testimony, and evaluate their own motives for dispensing with a public ceremony.

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/common-law-marriage.html#ixzz3OxZzvIyl
Now that is a more honest assessment.

You have seen the words of Scripture.You can do what you want with it.Even though it was copied and pasted.That is all I have to say about this.

Romans 13:1-2
Submit to Government
13 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.

You have seen the words of Scripture.You can do what you want with it.Even though it was copied and pasted.That is all I have to say about this.

Submit to Government
13 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.
Absolutely great scripture... for those things that are required or prohibited by law! But not so applicable to those things the law considers optional, even if the choice of opting out means the person looses some of the benefits.

Submit to Government
Common law marriage is legal. It is not disobeying the law.
Did you actually read what got questions said? Your own post?

When the state started redefining family a few years back the conflict was coming ... when they redefined marriage... do i want to be part of the states idea of marriage? or go back to a Godly one

When the Supreme Court redefine a person to include corporations for campaign donation purposes I thought...snark... are corporate mergers going to be called corporate marriage.

Back