Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Pregnant woman fired for not marrying fiance

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
It's interesting to watch couples who say they're married and don't need the marriage license to then decide they're not married later on. It's obvious they are afraid to really get married. If they were so sure of their marital status without the license they would have no reservations about getting one.

So why didn't Jesus consider the woman at the well not married to the man she was presently with?

He didn't tell her, "oh, you're really married."
It could be because Jesus knew those relationships lacked a commitment to God. If 2 people are committed to making God as the center of their relationship and they want to be one flesh, why does the state then have to come in and over ride what God laid out by a bunch of tradition and ceremony. Is it really necessary?

1) God only considers a couple married when they are legally married. The scriptural support typically given to this view is the verses that advocate submission to the government (Romans 13:1-7;1 Peter 2:17). The argument is that if the government requires certain “paperwork” to be completed before a marriage is recognized, a couple should submit themselves to whatever process the government requires. It is definitely biblical for a couple to submit to the government as long as the requirements do not contradict God’s Word and are reasonable.Romans 13:1-2tells us, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.”

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/marriage-constitutes.html#ixzz3OqvykqXn
The problem I have with this is legally after 7 years--or whatever it is--of living together you essentially become man and wife in the eyes of the law. That means God would recognize co-habitation as long as it lasted 7 years.

Why do we stupid humans always look for ways to get out of doing what is normal and right? Rebellion rules us through and through. And we praise that attribute about ourselves for some reason. Arrogance it is.

1) God only considers a couple married when they are legally married. The scriptural support typically given to this view is the verses that advocate submission to the government (Romans 13:1-7;1 Peter 2:17). The argument is that if the government requires certain “paperwork” to be completed before a marriage is recognized, a couple should submit themselves to whatever process the government requires. It is definitely biblical for a couple to submit to the government as long as the requirements do not contradict God’s Word and are reasonable.Romans 13:1-2tells us, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.”

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/marriage-constitutes.html#ixzz3OqvykqXn
Yet this is not at all how people were married in the OT....

It's interesting to watch couples who say they're married and don't need the marriage license to then decide they're not married later on. It's obvious they are afraid to really get married. If they were so sure of their marital status without the license they would have no reservations about getting one.
Tons of people are not marrying now and having children.When I have told someone at work that I do not believe in living together they look at me like I have an extra eye in the middle of my forehead.That that is all of them.

It could be because Jesus knew those relationships lacked a commitment to God. If 2 people are committed to making God as the center of their relationship and they want to be one flesh, why does the state then have to come in and over ride what God laid out by a bunch of tradition and ceremony. Is it really necessary?
If commitment to God is a requirement for marriage then there are a lot of fornicating people in the eyes of God out there with marriage licenses.

The problem I have with this is legally after 7 years--or whatever it is--of living together you essentially become man and wife in the eyes of the law. That means God would recognize co-habitation as long as it lasted 7 years.

Why do we stupid humans always look for ways to get out of doing what is normal and right? Rebellion rules us through and through. And we praise that attribute about ourselves for some reason. Arrogance it is.
I agree with the 7 years - and I am not at all saying I am right about how I am seeing marriage and having it authenticated by a state, however a person is either married in God's eyes or they are not, regardless if they have a license or not. The 7 years is silly, imo.

In Biblical times, was not "the Government" that married people also, "the Religion" they worshiped through?

common law marriage for the most part aren't legal. my state doesn't have that rule. so if I live with man that is a roommate for seven years is that now a marriage?

If commitment to God is a requirement for marriage then there are a lot of fornicating people in the eyes of God out there with marriage licenses.
That is very true.

I guess I"m talking about 2 committed Christians and maybe it's not always necessary to have a license, it would make it legal in the eye of the state, but does it really matter to God if we have a license?

Let me know when any of you meet a co-habitating couple who is staying together because they are convinced they are married and that they have to stay 'married' because God says so. Okay?

Meanwhile, I will show you the couples I've known who were sure they were 'married' without the license but seemed to use the fact that they were not married as the door to then end the relationship. Stupid people we are. Stupid!

That is very true.

I guess I"m talking about 2 committed Christians and maybe it's not always necessary to have a license, it would make it legal in the eye of the state, but does it really matter to God if we have a license?
Even if it was okay, we are to avoid the appearance of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5 something?)

Tons of people are not marrying now and having children.When I have told someone at work that I do not believe in living together they look at me like I have an extra eye in the middle of my forehead.That that is all of them.
People always look at me like that. I can't afford to have the dumb thing removed.

In Biblical times, was not "the Government" that married people also, "the Religion" they worshiped through?
In antiquity, there weren't ceremonies though, they were married in God's eyes, a commitment and copulation that was it.

common law marriage for the most part aren't legal. my state doesn't have that rule. so if I live with man that is a roommate for seven years is that now a marriage?
Aw, go ahead and marry him, Jas... it's the least you can do.

Let me know when any of you meet a co-habitating couple who is staying together because they are convinced they are married and that they have to stay 'married' because God says so. Okay?

Meanwhile, I will show you the couples I've known who were sure they were 'married' without the license but seemed to use the fact that they were not married as the door to then end the relationship. Stupid people we are. Stupid!
oh wait , you mean that marriage must have bite if we do divorce to keep us on the right path? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO you don't say. if it didn't. this man might have left his wife some time ago and vice versa. pain sucks and sometimes that is the ONLY way we will learn.

Back