Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Pregnant woman fired for not marrying fiance

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Think about it. You want to be 'right' and 'godly' and consider your relationship a marriage, and because you want to be 'right' and 'godly' you also know that the relationship can not be ended, so for corn's sake WHY DON'T YOU JUST GET LEGALLY MARRIED!
I'm quit sure my future wife will want a huge wedding, with diamonds (or at least one) on her finger, and a really expensive wedding dress.....I will be rolling my eyes BUT I will one day do this because I will want her to feel loved and know that she's worth it.

I just don't think it's necessary to be married and I really don't care of the state says it's legal or not. :shrug

I haven't seen anyone claim that it's ok to have sex outside of marriage, assuming that's what you mean by fornication.
Right, it gets justified as license free 'marriage'. More of man's absured justification for not following God's will. His will is that you bind yourself legally to your spouse. Which, as jasonc is pointing out means being legally responsible for their well being. Without a marriage license you don't have to do that part of God's will for marriage.

What this boils down to is we see God's will for legal marriage in the law.
personally its a conundrum for the libertarian in me. the government must protect the spouse and set limits and encourage good marriages, it has to for the sack of society and order. yet I also know that we can really go south with that.

I'm quit sure my future wife will want a huge wedding, with diamonds (or at least one) on her finger, and a really expensive wedding dress.....I will be rolling my eyes BUT I will one day do this because I will want her to feel loved and know that she's worth it.

I just don't think it's necessary to be married and I really don't care of the state says it's legal or not. :shrug
Do you care what GOD says about it? He doesn't spell out the ceremony. He says you have to legally obligate yourself to your wife. That's what the wedding license does.

Right, it gets justified as license free 'marriage'. More of man's absured justification for not following God's will. His will is that you bind yourself legally to your spouse. Which, as jasonc is pointing out means being legally responsible for their well being. Without a marriage license you don't have to do that part of God's will for marriage.
yup can walk away. look I can divorce my wife right NOW.she and I agree to do it to get MORE tanf money from the state. she would receive more money for health care. more money as I know nor her would owe taxes. so I guess I should divorce per se and not actually leave? would god approve?

No, only if it is considered evil.

Unbelievers LOVE the hypocrisy of the church. The fact that they can identify hypocrisy in the church shows they know what is considered good and evil in the church.
Ok, then. So if God told us it's evil, we shouldn't do it. I agree completely.

God's way is you make a legal promise of commitment to a person in order to sleep with them. Not the other way around. What ever ceremony you use to do that is not dictated by God that I know of, just that you state your intention to be legally committed as a spouse to the person. That's why I have no problem with going to a JP to get married. The point being, you marry the person. Otherwise it's just plain ol' fornication.
I actually JUST broke up with my girlfriend last weekend because she wanted intimacy in that way, she basically gave me an ultimatum and so I seeked out wise council - from this site - and broke up with her.

Ok, then. So if God told us it's evil, we shouldn't do it. I agree completely.
It's evil to not be legally bound to the one you're sleeping with. If you're not legally bound to the one you're sleeping with, you are a fornicator. A marriage license just happens to be how you get legally bound to your spouse.

It's pretty meaningless for a couple to accept their own word as their legal bond in marriage. If they really were bound to each other the way they insist, they'd get married to prove it. But as it is, so many are simply leaving the legal door open to leave if they want to some day. Their word is worthless....and they know it. That's why they don't get married.

I actually JUST broke up with my girlfriend last weekend because she wanted intimacy in that way, she basically gave me an ultimatum and so I seeked out wise council - from this site - and broke up with her.
ov vey, you could have negotiated that one. a woman even in this age wants a big extravagant wedding. my wife still wants to say our vows rather then some ad hoc. im going to war honey and lets get married and have a judge overrule the legal three day wait. she wants to do that for the reasons as they are raised to be that way. its their nature. im not for wasting bucks, she wouldn't do that but diamonds don't have to be billions to get them in a gold ring. if you love a girl and its really great its not much to do.

when you are with that woman and she is older and she needs surgery. that will make what you spent on a diamond pale in comparison. especially if its cancer.

And this is just the point I'm making. Lip service is worthless. Marriage is a tangible, legal obligation and responsibility to the other person.
No one has said that it doesn't come with responsibility or accountability. Living according to God's laws would be the goal.

I still don't see where God states it's a "legal obligation" to the state your reside?

If you two did cave in, to the rest of us we wouldn't know if you two were married or living in fornication. Thus the 'appearance of evil' issue God says to avoid.

Back