Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Question about the act of praying

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
When you pray, do you speak your words out loud, or is this something that you can kind of say from within?

I ask because I'm trying to re-read the Bible from the beginning, and came across something. In first Samuel verse 13, Hannah is described as speaking in her heart and her lips moving, but her voice isn't heard.

In trying to ground my opinion in Scripture, I'd say that you wouldn't necessarily have to speak out loud to be heard by God. But it seems common to be conditioned to think that you have to speak out loud. I know for years that's what I used to think. I'm just not so sure and I'd like to know for sure. Any opinions here would be appreciated.

Whatever the mood strikes me. God knows what is in our hearts before we speak. He doesn't have to hear our words audibly to know our prayers. I often pray silently throughout the day no matter where I am.

Your second sentence is just excellent, WIP. :)
--

I like praying silently. In church we often pray loudly.
Welcome, aquamarinesky54:wave

when i am alone i pray silently too. My prayer ususally have praises and worhip songs that would naturally come out from my mouth as everytime i pray i command to my soul " worship the Lord and pray oh my soul" i have learned it from David.

I think it is ok to pray silently. I do this when I feel that Praying out loud in front of others would be prideful.

When I am alone I pray outloud.

As WIP said, silent prayer is every bit as audible to the Lord as spoken prayer. I always start out by thanking God for calling me to prayer, because I believe it's Him to moves me to do what I otherwise probably wouldn't. I'll be honest. When praying silently, my thoughts too quickly stray. I stay more focused on Him when I pray out loud. Those times when I am so caught up in the Holy Spirit that I am in utter awe that the Maker of the universe calls me to prayer are a blessing.

We have a ministry for about 20 deaf and mute people in church and they get the privilege of conspicuously sitting right in the front of the auditorium facilitated by a sign language expert.

They may not hear the worship or live vibrant band blasting in front of them, nor the prayers nor the sermon, nor even able to speak to God, but they are one of the most joyful bunch of people I have ever seen and I know they have a solid relationship with God.

We have a ministry for about 20 deaf and mute people in church and they get the privilege of conspicuously sitting right in the front of the auditorium facilitated by a sign language expert.

They may not hear the worship or live vibrant band blasting in front of them, nor the prayers nor the sermon, nor even able to speak to God, but they are one of the most joyful bunch of people I have ever seen and I know they have a solid relationship with God.

They respond to music. They hear through feelings and vibrations:lol

Whatever the mood strikes me. God knows what is in our hearts before we speak. He doesn't have to hear our words audibly to know our prayers. I often pray silently throughout the day no matter where I am.

I agree, WIP, since He knows our thoughts; He says they are not His thoughts and how would He know that if He didn't read ours? The glorious liberty of Christ given us can also free us from the kind of confusion sometimes caused us by tradition and man's doctrines. It is very difficult for me to get on my knees, for instance, and has been for many years. I pray sitting, standing, walking and lying down just fine and He doesn't seem to care about my position. I believe it is the bowed heart that serves up prayers that are tasty to our Father.

One thing I do try to keep in perspective when I pray is who I am and whom it is I am talking to. Here I am, this lowly undeserving speck on a single small planet circling one of up to 400 billion stars contained in one of up to maybe 500 billion galaxies somewhere in the vast universe and I am in direct conversation with the supreme creator of it all. How awesome is that? That He would be interested in hearing what I have on my mind is totally mind-boggling and humbling.<O:tongue</O:tongue

One thing I do try to keep in perspective when I pray is who I am and whom it is I am talking to. Here I am, this lowly undeserving speck on a single small planet circling one of up to 400 billion stars contained in one of up to maybe 500 billion galaxies somewhere in the vast universe and I am in direct conversation with the supreme creator of it all. How awesome is that? That He would be interested in hearing what I have on my mind is totally mind-boggling and humbling.<O:tongue</O:tongue

Like this post! The Bigger God is the better I like it! Sets me very very high next to Him seated with Christ in the Heavenlies. Should help my perspective too!

What posture would you take while talking to President Obama? How about GOD?

Classik, I respect your wanting to honor God even with your bodily posture. However, if we are truly Christ-like we would take the same postion with President Obama as we would with any other man. And since it is with our spirits that we worship God and in the Spirit that we approach him in the Holy of Holies, I sincerely doubt our bodily posture would much impress God one way or the other. How would a dead body posture before God? However it is placed, I'd say.

Post #17 actually refers to no post in particular. I just remembered it. People tend to be more focused, and showing maximum respect, when they appear berfore governors, presidents, commissioners etc than when they appear before God - in prayers or in a church.

My people always corrected my postures. Some sit and swing their legs about while some place them on top of an elevated tables, hands in pocket. No one would do that before a governor. I strongly believe postures should be seriously taken into consideration.

stock-photo-satisfied-manager-with-cuban-cigar-and-legs-on-table-29951062.jpg
3888887-young-happy-business-woman-resting-with-legs-on-table-and-using-phone-at-office.jpg
stock-photo-lonely-girl-in-black-dress-sitting-on-chair-in-empty-room-putting-her-legs-down-table-woman-26170747.jpg

Post #17 actually refers to no post in particular. I just remembered it. People tend to be more focused, and showing maximum respect, when they appear berfore governors, presidents, commissioners etc than when they appear before God - in prayers or in a church.

My people always corrected my postures. Some sit and swing their legs about while some place them on top of an elevated tables, hands in pocket. No one would do that before a governor. I strongly believe postures should be seriously taken into consideration.

stock-photo-satisfied-manager-with-cuban-cigar-and-legs-on-table-29951062.jpg
3888887-young-happy-business-woman-resting-with-legs-on-table-and-using-phone-at-office.jpg
stock-photo-lonely-girl-in-black-dress-sitting-on-chair-in-empty-room-putting-her-legs-down-table-woman-26170747.jpg

Classik:

I think there are several aspects here, some unrelated.

Firstly, the main thing is to bow our hearts to God when praying; whether or not it is accompanied with a kneeling posture or whatever. (Some churches still like to practise kneeling in prayer meetings; I have been to some.)

Secondly, if one is in business, and with a client or a superior, posture does matter to some extent also. Although there may be other times when it's fine to relax more.

Thirdly, the photos you gave do have some differences. The first two people look like typical professionals, and look genuinely relaxed and comfortable. The guy is in a typical business suit and a classy tie. The lady in the second picture is in a typical, sober business suit, with tied back hair and with "sensibly" low stilettos. But the lady in the third picture looks more posed, almost deliberately in an uncomfortable posture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back