Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Racial Narratives Of The Left

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
the movie human stain comes to mind. it has some nudity but it touches this quite well.in short a "white" professor is fired for saying a racial comment. which he didnt. he himself was an albano for years and one of three children of a black couple. he hid that he was black to get a job after his tour of ww2 and his boxing career he fought as a white man. in short he died in a wreck and it wasnt until his death that his sister whom he cut relations with came out and told the truth.

if he claimed his true race he would been fired and thought less off so he took the firing under the pretense he was white.

I'm afraid you're not understanding how the label "liberal" is used in American politics and culture.

I think it is true that "liberal" can mean vastly different things depending on the culture and society. I live about 30 miles from the Canadian boarder where I could cross over and be completely misunderstood when I talk about the "liberal this or that".

In general, I believe most people become more conservative as they get older. I love... LOVE this quote from Winston Churchill. Many claim he didn't actually say it, but who ever did was brilliant!

"If you are not a liberal at 20, you have no heart. If you are not a Conservative by 40, you have no brain."

I think much of America can become numb to the influence of the liberal-controlled media, and it isn't until we hear a moderate voice that we are reminded about what an onslaught we deal with on a daily basis. It comes off as very conservative when in fact, it's just a moderate take.

I really wish there was a professionally run moderate news channel, because I've been disgusted with Fox News for a long time. It's just voyeur journalism, IMO. They say things to incite the audience, probably more so than any other station. The Sean Hannity show is shameless in its goal to get people riled up. How often does he have guests from both sides of an issue that end up screaming at each other? Fox News should be so much better than that.

You know what. This entire case is neither liberal or conservative. Why? Because it has nothing to do with either liberalism or Conservatism.

Liberal basically means change or modification with Reason and conservative tends to mean resistance to change with reason. Depending on the issue, anyone could be either. Context defines these terms.

In this case we have SEVERAL different blogs, news stations, commentators, etc. talking about this case. MSNBC, ABC, FOX, CNN have all talked about this case to the point that most of us are sick of it.

Now to the point. Playing up the race angle is not Liberal, no its just a tactic used by blogs, news stations, etc. used to grab our attention. It has nothing to do with either liberalism or conservatism. Its about ratings. People are confusing that a commentator's or blogger's political stances with an entire group.

The truth is that its not about conservative or Liberal, its about the tactics of the News stations, Commentators, and Blog sites.

That is it.

You know what. This entire case is neither liberal or conservative. Why? Because it has nothing to do with either liberalism or Conservatism.

Liberal basically means change or modification with Reason and conservative tends to mean resistance to change with reason. Depending on the issue, anyone could be either. Context defines these terms.

In this case we have SEVERAL different blogs, news stations, commentators, etc. talking about this case. MSNBC, ABC, FOX, CNN have all talked about this case to the point that most of us are sick of it.

Now to the point. Playing up the race angle is not Liberal, no its just a tactic used by blogs, news stations, etc. used to grab our attention. It has nothing to do with either liberalism or conservatism. Its about ratings. People are confusing that a commentator's or blogger's political stances with an entire group.

The truth is that its not about conservative or Liberal, its about the tactics of the News stations, Commentators, and Blog sites.

That is it.

It's clear you haven't read the linked article. Read it. It has everything to do with liberalism.

Mark, Some folks just refuse to see what they dont want to see. Bet they feel the same towards me...

That is it.

That's quite similar to my understanding of the concepts. I'm baffled by people trying to use the terms as some kind of insult. And also wary of people being able to assign someone a label and then ascribe all sorts of political opinions to them, complete with judgement.

The media loves to feed off itself. You're right, it's heavy on sensationalism. I'd be more worried if I knew anyone who takes the news at face value.

That's quite similar to my understanding of the concepts. I'm baffled by people trying to use the terms as some kind of insult. And also wary of people being able to assign someone a label and then ascribe all sorts of political opinions to them, complete with judgement.

The media loves to feed off itself. You're right, it's heavy on sensationalism. I'd be more worried if I knew anyone who takes the news at face value.
I've noticed that people tend to take news at face value when it is geared towards opinions that the person already has. People like being told that their opinions are correct.

It's clear you haven't read the linked article.
No, I read as much as I could stomach. The first paragraph is nothing but using buzzwords and Jargon ( like the word Liberal) as a scape goat.

Read it. It has everything to do with liberalism.
NO, I'm going to first ask you to give me your interpretation of liberalism. If you refuse, I see no reason to continue, because I don't like discussing subject matter without a clear understanding of both sides.

No, I read as much as I could stomach. The first paragraph is nothing but using buzzwords and Jargon ( like the word Liberal) as a scape goat.

NO, I'm going to first ask you to give me your interpretation of liberalism. If you refuse, I see no reason to continue, because I don't like discussing subject matter without a clear understanding of both sides.

Sadly today's politics and everything else for that matter falls under group identification and scapegoating. The meanings for liberal and conservative are no longer valid in this day and age because they are both identical in their goals and means of achieving them. 50 years ago or more there was a difference between the two, but starting with Eisenhower's administration the two have merged into a single ideology of government control over the masses, using fear to maintain rule, enabling fascism, expanding communism within the US, and basically taking a bathroom break on the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights. In summation, liberals of the late 1800s and early 1900s got their wish for a 'progressive' and government regimented society that is ignorant and will blindly follow orders with no individual identity.

People ask me all the time what political party I belong to. I usually say, "Constitutionalist and I'm a a party of one."

I've noticed that people tend to take news at face value when it is geared towards opinions that the person already has. People like being told that their opinions are correct.
Now i know why so many support the media! :toofunny learn some thing every day!

That is it.

In it's basic form, liberal means: Open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values. Conservative suggest the status quo.

It's typically used as a slander against the idea of pushing against traditional values, or the status quo. However, it's also used to hide behind, and charge institutions, or individuals as progressively dangerous.

The old liberalism is the new status quo to some respects, and yesterdays conservative could very well be today's new liberal. So, these are not labels people are wearing very well.

In the late 80's and early 90's, Rush Limbaugh was well known in pushing the idea that the media is liberal, bias, and is pushing an agenda that is hidden. Hidden how? The thought is that people are often molded to absorb the pop-culture and opinions of the day. Either they don't think for themselves or they simply accept it.

Rush was blatant in his charge then, but today we see more conservative cometary that tens to hid it's agenda as well. However, all commentary is bias, and seeks to promote an agenda; it's when the agenda is hidden or presented as the norm when perhaps it's not, or does not fit the true conscious of the population that it is seen as dangerous, or threatening.

The question is, how much does media shape our views and opinions? Conservatives tend to say that it largely does because people can't think for themselves, or they are so totally lost they will fall for anything if we allow the media to shape the culture. Ironic? sure, but it does hold an element of truth, and the argument is over who get's to shape the culture with the media.

The irony is that conservatives don't like the idea of liberal bias-ness shaping the culture with their Ideas. How dare they! When it's conservative ideas that should be shaping the culture.

Defining a term at the start of a debate is a pretty standard practice. It almost seems like you don't want to discuss this with anyone who disagrees with you.

I'm not interested in chatting with someone who is deliberately obtuse. Paying just a modicum of attention to the real world will tell you what liberalism means today, and modern liberalism is the evil mirror image of classical liberalism so don't even go there.

Just two characteristics of liberals (if you want more you can find great discussions of modern liberalism on your own.)

1. Are totalitarian collectivists in their worldview. Liberalism always ends with a gun in your face.

2. Try to control how issues are thought of and discussed through political correctness and carefully protected narratives.

In it's basic form, liberal means: Open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values. Conservative suggest the status quo.

Modern liberalism has nothing whatever in common with classical liberalism, or your simplistic "in its basic form" dictionary definition.

Just two characteristics of liberals (if you want more you can find great discussions of modern liberalism on your own.)

1. Are totalitarian collectivists in their worldview. Liberalism always ends with a gun in your face.

2. Try to control how issues are thought of and discussed through political correctness and carefully protected narratives.

The first assertion is absurd. Canada has a Liberal party that obviously supports liberalism, and to date nobody has shoved a gun in my face (and I've been there three years now). You don't get to label anyone who you dislike as a totalitarian, nor can you credibly assert that every one of them will always use violence.

The second one is more believable, but attempting to control the discussion is hardly unique to any political party or ideology.

It's also extremely inaccurate to think you can label someone because of their political beliefs. I mean, I usually vote Republican, so by some definitions I'd be considered a liberal because I support freedoms and civil rights. But then you say that means I'm going to use violence to advance a totalitarian viewpoint. People don't fit neatly into predefined ideologies.

Modern liberalism has nothing whatever in common with classical liberalism, or your simplistic "in its basic form" dictionary definition.

Is this the part where I attempt to engage you in conversation, and you suggest I'm too simplistic to understand your complexity? :)....or did that part already happen?

So far you've posted an article of sort, but that's about it. What are your thoughts beyond blanket statements? Tell me more about this "Modern liberalism" vs the classic form please. I'd really like to read your own original thoughts on it.

As a conservative thinker, (I assume) I know you have much more to say about liberalism than to simply copy and past an article. Some original thoughts on the nature of racial narratives of the left? What can you say about that or liberalism in general today?

The first assertion is absurd. Canada has a Liberal party that obviously supports liberalism, and to date nobody has shoved a gun in my face (and I've been there three years now).

Three years...wow! I guess that settles it, huh? Maybe you live in a digital world: everything is either on or it's off.

Three years...wow! I guess that settles it, huh? Maybe you live in a digital world: everything is either on or it's off.

I've met people who have lived here their entire lives, and nobody has pulled a gun on them either. Nor do they know anyone who has been shot by a liberal supporter.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back