Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Reasons why you are very unwise to trust your church’s doctrines

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

John Zain

Alternate title
Choose this day whom you will believe: Scripture and the Holy Spirit, or your church.

Reasons why the churches historically have taught false doctrines

• Satan is “the god/ruler of this age/world” (2 Cor 4:4, John 12:31)
“the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world” (Revelation 12:9)
“the whole world lies in the power of the evil one” (1 John 5:19)
“there is no truth in him ... he is a liar” (John 8:44) … So it was very easy

for him to deceive the large church organizations (EOC, RCC, and Protestant)!

• Many church leaders have been fleshly-minded instead of spiritually-minded,
so they were easily led by Satan to deviate from God’s New Testament pattern.

• Many leaders have been primarily interested in your praise and your tithes.
There have always been leaders who are only “hired hands” (John 10:11-13),
and who do not put the welfare of Christ’s church first.
Not everyone who appears to be holy and righteous really are so.
Jesus gave many warnings about being deceived by false teachers!

• Satan did not want the churches to continue to have the spiritual power of
NT times … which was a powerful confirmation of the truth of the gospel,
and which produced many deliverances and healings of all kinds.

• Many leaders did not want to acknowledge that God had anointed others
with powerful spiritual gifts when they had not been! They might look quite
spiritually inferior and might risk losing their power, prestige, and their jobs!

• Many leaders wanted to be in control instead of having God be in control.
And they did not want those whom God chose to have any spiritual authority.

• Increasingly, leaders have taught only popular and non-threatening doctrines.

### All of the above have resulted in a historically weak and powerless church!

• Yes, the time has come when people will not endure sound doctrine; they wish
to turn their ears away from the truth and be turned aside to fables (2 Tim 4:3-4).
Warning: If you believe lies, they will take dominion over you!
We are seeing the great apostacy prior to the coming of the antichrist (2 Thes 2:3).

Examples of false doctrines taught in many churches
-- man is not born with an inherited sin nature
-- once saved always saved
-- cessationism (i.e. the 9 spiritual power gifts and the Spirit baptism have ceased)
-- pre-tribulation rapture (Jesus gives the true sequence of events in Matthew 24)

Many Christian internet radio programs are adamantly against today’s churches
for reasons such as these
• Silence re: the millions of Christians being slaughtered in other countries
• Bowing down to government policy … some accept Islam as another way,
some give the government personal data about their members, etc.
• Teaching a very watered-down and powerless gospel
• Not teaching deliverance from demons (this is important for several reasons)
• Teaching a pre-trib rapture (this does not prepare for our coming persecution)

A suggestion: Start a house church with like-minded serious believers who
desire to be totally free to search out spiritual truths without opposition.
This will help you break away from long-held biases and false doctrines.

The bottom line
Trust Scripture and the Holy Spirit (but not your church) for your salvation!

A suggestion: Start a house church with like-minded serious believers who

Start a house church and watch out you may become a leader who believes with all his might he is led of the Spirit...

Last edited:
But just be sure you
Start a house church and watch out you may become a leader who believes with all his might he is lead of the Spirit...
But just be sure you know WHICH spirit is leading you!!! :)

Seriously though, even "house churches" can fall into a lot of the more important traps you mentioned above and then some, just as there are mainstream churches (although admittedly rare) that do not.

I am suggesting that many believers need to start over ...
hopefully with a totally open mind ...
to receive spiritual Truth from the Holy Spirit while studying the Scriptures.

Brother John Zain, to me there are many forms of teaching that put forth Christ to some extent. Php 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice. And as such we grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord. For instance you put forth ideas I am adamantly opposed to, but I use the following scripture to realize we are not all on the same train of thought as pertaining to interpretation. I believe the following scripture covers our differences pretty well: Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

If you'll take note of the seven churches of Revelation Chapters Two and Three, they are being judged according to their walk, but thank God, it is Jesus doing the judging, and not us. blessings in Christ Jesus.
:wave2

kinda makes sense that most of our denominations were started in "home churches"

Using my background for example...AofG did not one day set up headquarters in Springfield build churches across the country then open the doors...

Eph 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Some form of 'church hierarchy' was set up a long time ago...

I am suggesting that many believers need to start over ...
hopefully with a totally open mind ...
to receive spiritual Truth from the Holy Spirit while studying the Scriptures.
So we should only have fellowship with those Christians who agree with us on all the particulars? You are suggesting that we divide over these nonessential matters?

This doesn't seem wise from my perspective.

One false doctrine being taught these days is that you should only trust the Holy Spirit to lead you and forget about the church, pastors, theologians, and scholars. This clearly goes against what Scripture teaches.

John Zain said:
Start a house church with like-minded serious believers who
This is exceedingly dangerous, more dangerous than staying in a church. You want to see false doctrines multiply exponentially? Start a house church. There are problems either way, of course, but further segmenting and dividing the church into autonomous units is much worse.

actually, both / any/ may be outside Christ, so anywhere someone is may be dangerous in that respect..

the widow Jesus pointed out gave more than the rich guys. she didn't trust the men, the leaders or the temple/synagogue/church.
she placed her whole life in Yhwh's hands and relied on Him.

she didn't at that time seek to leave the place God's people gathered. point is , she trusted God. Jesus said so. and now her faith has been spoken of all over the earth since then.

in line with God's Word, always, believe in and follow Jesus and be immersed in Him. (the artificial places get caught up saying follow something else, but they have no basis in God's Word for that).

Seek ABBA, the Creator.

He is the only One able to accomplish our salvation and everything pertaining to our salvation now and in the world to come. No one else can. so listen to Him, whether coming or going, staying or leaving, going in or coming out. Listen to God.

kinda makes sense that most of our denominations were started in "home churches"

Using my background for example...AofG did not one day set up headquarters in Springfield build churches across the country then open the doors...
There is nothing wrong with home churches, and there is nothing wrong with organized churches that have their own building. When you have corruption and false doctrine in the leadership and teaching of the church it can be an issue, but we shouldn't abandon larger churches.

Paul said something interesting that I think is relevant.

Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Philippians 1:15-18 (ESV)

One false doctrine being taught these days is that you should only trust the Holy Spirit to lead you and forget about the church, pastors, theologians, and scholars. This clearly goes against what Scripture teaches.

This is exceedingly dangerous, more dangerous than staying in a church. You want to see false doctrines multiply exponentially? Start a house church. There are problems either way, of course, but further segmenting and dividing the church into autonomous units is much worse.
It is SO common. I might disagree on certain doctrines, but I respect and listen to the teachers God has put into my life and will not abandon the church.

Really agree with what you said.

It is SO common. I might disagree on certain doctrines, but I respect and listen to the teachers God has put into my life and will not abandon the church.

Really agree with what you said.
Exactly. We do need to be very careful in church and search the Scriptures to make sure things are biblical. Having said that, mere disagreement doesn't mean that a given doctrine is false. We all "see in a mirror dimly" and need to be humble enough to admit that we could be wrong and the teaching from the pulpit correct. I think it is much more important that there is some sort of hierarchical church leadership structure, going beyond any individual church within a given denomination, to which all pastors within each denomination have accountability for what they are teaching. That is the biblical model where teachers, evangelists, pastors are called by God to teach the truths of Scripture.

A classic example of starting one's own church over disagreement and going it alone is Charles Taze Russell and the eventual founding of the Jehovah's Witnesses. One of many.

On all doctrine we can have fellowship and not division if I agree with the Spirit, and you agree with the Spirit, but organized churches were the very beginning of separation in the church. There is also the instruction in Revelation Chapters Two and Three to separate from certain beliefs found in certain ones.

If I believe I'm saved, and you are adamant about following the law to continue to be saved, I may as well stay home and read my bible. Observe the Sabbath, or find I'm resting in Christ now; oh my, does that even need considering? I see threads like this wanting me to put me back under obligation to something that was only a ministration of death to begin with; it never saved and never will. :shrug

Some form of 'church hierarchy' was set up a long time ago...

But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. (I Cor. 11:3)​

God's hierarchy is...
  1. God the Father
  2. Jesus
  3. Husband
  4. Wife
People often skip that verse and just read the rest of the chapter and think it has something to do with hats. The fact is that the whole chapter is about authority and heads, hair and hats are just analogies. The interesting thing about this chain of command is that it doesn't include elders, deacons, pastors, priests, bishops cardinals or popes. None of those are put over us; they are our servants. We may voluntarily submit to them while we are in church, but ultimately, it is the responsibility of the husband, not the pastor, to make sure the family gets the spiritual teaching they need.

The TOG​

But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. (I Cor. 11:3)​

God's hierarchy is...
  1. God the Father
  2. Jesus
  3. Husband
  4. Wife
People often skip that verse and just read the rest of the chapter and think it has something to do with hats. The fact is that the whole chapter is about authority and heads, hair and hats are just analogies. The interesting thing about this chain of command is that it doesn't include elders, deacons, pastors, priests, bishops cardinals or popes. None of those are put over us; they are our servants. We may voluntarily submit to them while we are in church, but ultimately, it is the responsibility of the husband, not the pastor, to make sure the family gets the spiritual teaching they need.

The TOG​
Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you. Hebrews 13:17 (ESV)

These leaders are there to serve, but that does not mean that they also do not have authority over the congregation in so far as it conforms to the commands and will of God expressed in Scripture.

On all doctrine we can have fellowship and not division if I agree with the Spirit, and you agree with the Spirit, but organized churches were the very beginning of separation in the church. There is also the instruction in Revelation Chapters Two and Three to separate from certain beliefs found in certain ones.

If I believe I'm saved, and you are adamant about following the law to continue to be saved, I may as well stay home and read my bible. Observe the Sabbath, or find I'm resting in Christ now; oh my, does that even need considering? I see threads like this wanting me to put me back under obligation to something that was only a ministration of death to begin with; it never saved and never will. :shrug

I agree.

God's hierarchy is...
  1. God the Father
  2. Jesus
  3. Husband
  4. Wife

The TOG​

I agree.

Hi Debrorah,

What do you make of this text?

Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you. Hebrews 13:17 (ESV)

Do you submit to your leaders at your church?

I believe that the leaders in a church have authority over the governance of the church body as a whole in doctrine, etc. The leaders have the authority to say who will serve in certain position, how services will be conducted, etc.
However, I don't believe that they have any authority outside of that governance. If the leaders are teaching something that my husband disapproves of it is his authority that I called to recognize, not the church leaders. If my husband says no you will not sit on the other side of the room from me in the service, I won't do that no matter what the leaders say. Then they can deal with my husband.

Back