Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Revelation 8:10-11

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Proper interpretation?Just what it says.
ok, so when and how would live if didn't know a wormwood star was in route to this area?View attachment 4578 the plant is the only fully seen structures with water coming into it from the ocean. there is a large population of 1 million or more that would be vaporized in seconds if a meteor were to strike that plant. it wouldn't blow given the size of one mile wide in girth. that is big enough to cause a lot of damage in impact not mention the dust, ashes and fire. so their wont be saints that died on that? no one saved and is near that?

Hello Kathi,
I've heard some talk about a meteor that the US and Russia have agreed to involve themselves in destroying with atomic warheads and t he time-line is, as I recall, about 2030. This monster seems to me good for two prophesies, at least. The scriptures tell of a ail of stones about a Talent in weight, about 125 US pounds and not a monster meteor, seems to fit.

Then with these tens of thousands of rock falling to earth, some will land (¿only on one side?) of the Earth, possibly ruining 1/3 of the waters? I do not teach this but do meditate on it from time to time but God ain't talkin' about it. So it is that it just falls into the realm of an old man's dreams. ;-)
2030 seems like a long time.Look at our world.Read the news.What will our world be like in 2030?This is only my speculation.But the Bible does say the timing between the Rapture and the Tribulation.Maybe the Tribulation would start years after the rapture.

I don't know.But God does.I am not going to put my extra words or meaning to this because you have seen the warning in post #14.
I use Hebrew idioms I just visited chabad.org for teaching and mentions on wormwood. it is as I think it is. a meaning of false teaching. they see wormwood as substitute for the torah that is bad. its implied. I was going to post that but I wanted to find a more definitive stance. the articles are long and I glance at them to see if they did have much more on that wormwood then just a back drop.

meltdown, not blown up.

Sorry, my bad.

the deaths from that weren't on the scale we are discussing.

I realize that. I don't think wormwood in Revelation is referring to Chernobyl, but a lot of people did when it happened. It obviously won't be a literal star either. I've always believed it would be something that looked like a star from a distance, like perhaps a comet or meteor or at least a fragment of one big enough to cause the level of damage described.

The TOG​

2030 seems like a long time.Look at our world.Read the news.What will our world be like in 2030?This is only my speculation.But the Bible does say the timing between the Rapture and the Tribulation.Maybe the Tribulation would start years after the rapture.
Well, the matter is wide open, actually. We have, recently, seen several near misses by giant meteors and though with the advent of Space Travel, scientists have goten better but they do not know all, by any means. With this cooperation in place to prevent an Earth Killing collision I see them as ready in the advent one should hit sooner and there is no way they can even begin to track the billions of billions tracking around the Milky Way, let alone the trillions of trillions from the neighboring galaxies. The time table is not scientifically fixed in my mind and I'm sure they have not chiseled it in stone either.

2030 seems like a long time.

It doesn't seem like it was very long ago that I thought the year 2000 was far away. I remember doing some math and calculating that I would be positively ancient (42) that year. 2030 will be here before you know it.

The TOG​

Well, the matter is wide open, actually. We have, recently, seen several near misses by giant meteors and though with the advent of Space Travel, scientists have goten better but they do not know all, by any means. With this cooperation in place to prevent an Earth Killing collision I see them as ready in the advent one should hit sooner and there is no way they can even begin to track the billions of billions tracking around the Milky Way, let alone the trillions of trillions from the neighboring galaxies. The time table is not scientifically fixed in my mind and I'm sure they have not chiseled it in stone either.
Right you are.

All of you who believe there will be a tribulation what do you think Wormwood is in this passage?
Revelation 8:10-11 Then the third angel sounded: And a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. 11 The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood, and many men died from the water, because it was made bitter.

Very excellent and provacative question. Some thoughts...

If a natural body, it would unlikely be a "star", as we use the modern term. Of course God can do anything, but within the constraints of science (which of course He created), stars do not normally (ever?) roam, although their general trend is away from the center of the Big Bang. A comet, meteor or asteroid (the latter means "starlike", but is actually a small planet) would be much more likely, so perhaps it's just the writer lacking modern knowledge. But secondly, stars are usually much larger than planets, so a collision with earth would not be so much a collision as an enveloping. The smallest star discovered is still about the size of Jupiter, so while unlikely, a star smaller than the earth is possible.

Nuclear bomb: if it were, and was somehow "star"-like, it would be less likely an atomic warhead (which is fission), and more likely the same nuclear process that drives stars, namely fusion. In other words, an H-bomb. The amount of devastation described also supports a fusion device.

The passage clearly mentions conflagration before impact ("burning like a torch"). Objects falling from space burn up from friction as they encounter the atmosphere, so this doesn't really narrow things down. Realize if it were a nuclear bomb, it would likely be set off above ground (a so-called "airburst") rather than by ground impact, as this greatly increases its destructive sphere.

If a natural body, it would unlikely be a "star", as we use the modern term. Of course God can do anything, but within the constraints of science (which of course He created), stars do not normally (ever?) roam, although their general trend is away from the center of the Big Bang. A comet, meteor or asteroid (the latter means "starlike", but is actually a small planet) would be much more likely, so perhaps it's just the writer lacking modern knowledge. But secondly, stars are usually much larger than planets, so a collision with earth would not be so much a collision as an enveloping. The smallest star discovered is still about the size of Jupiter, so while unlikely, a star smaller than the earth is possible.

Nuclear bomb: if it were, and was somehow "star"-like, it would be less likely an atomic warhead (which is fission), and more likely the same nuclear process that drives stars, namely fusion. In other words, an H-bomb. The amount of devastation described also supports a fusion device.

The passage clearly mentions conflagration before impact ("burning like a torch"). Objects falling from space burn up from friction as they encounter the atmosphere, so this doesn't really narrow things down. Realize if it were a nuclear bomb, it would likely be set off above ground (a so-called "airburst") rather than by ground impact, as this greatly increases its destructive sphere.
Words to ponder.

acutally, an air burst(tactitical nuke) is less destructive, in that it destroys man and all flesh and not the bldgs. nor infrastructure though the em pulse is still an issue.

acutally, an air burst(tactitical nuke) is less destructive, in that it destroys man and all flesh and not the bldgs. nor infrastructure though the em pulse is still an issue.

I see what you're saying. An airburst does spread out the area of destruction, but lessens the intensity at ground zero. It depends how you measure it. My main point was to explain how a nuclear weapon could be seen clearly "burning" before it hit the ground.

I see what you're saying. An airburst does spread out the area of destruction, but lessens the intensity at ground zero. It depends how you measure it. My main point was to explain how a nuclear weapon could be seen clearly "burning" before it hit the ground.
I wouldn't burn like that. it would appear as bright light then dissipate. the reason the cloud is that way is because at ground zero, its vaporized and hot air carries the particles up and then we have the fallout. which is the remmants of what was vaporized.

I wouldn't burn like that. it would appear as bright light then dissipate. the reason the cloud is that way is because at ground zero, its vaporized and hot air carries the particles up and then we have the fallout. which is the remmants of what was vaporized.

Well, it depends on how the person visualized it. Someone with absolutely no knowledge of a nuclear weapon might describe any bright light as a torch. I've never seen a nuclear detonation (hope I never will); maybe it does look like a torch. As far as fallout, isn't that more of an issue with groundpounder nukes? I even read where airburst nukes don't have fallout at all, which I'm not sure is true. Fallout is radioactive earth that is thrown into the atmosphere by a nuclear explosion. The other stuff you mentioned would be largely ionized radioactive vapor (or maybe plasma); it might go up, but not really fall back down in the usual sense of fallout.

Well, it depends on how the person visualized it. Someone with absolutely no knowledge of a nuclear weapon might describe any bright light as a torch. I've never seen a nuclear detonation (hope I never will); maybe it does look like a torch. As far as fallout, isn't that more of an issue with groundpounder nukes? I even read where airburst nukes don't have fallout at all, which I'm not sure is true. Fallout is radioactive earth that is thrown into the atmosphere by a nuclear explosion. The other stuff you mentioned would be largely ionized radioactive vapor (or maybe plasma); it might go up, but not really fall back down in the usual sense of fallout.
lighting produces plasma. that is what is visible. its air, a bright light is all that is seen, then it might have short lived "torch" but again have ever seen a meteor shower? I have. its rather long. you will see the fall of them for a few seconds.

lighting produces plasma. that is what is visible. its air, a bright light is all that is seen, then it might have short lived "torch" but again have ever seen a meteor shower? I have. its rather long. you will see the fall of them for a few seconds.

I think we're getting off-track here and derailing Kathi's thread. Have a blessed day.

they also make a noise. I cant remember how close one was when I was in Afghanistan. but I heard it as it flew over.

Back